Chapter 3

Young-ae's Ghost

"Do you see the position of the foetus? Having an abortion will be dangerous to your health. You might never be able to have children again." The doctor explained to Young-ae and Jin-wook as he showed them the sonogram. "Do you still want to go ahead with it?"

"Young-aeya, what do you think?" Jin-wook asked.

"Doctor, can you please give us a few minutes alone?" Young-ae said quietly and the doctor nodded and stepped out. "I guess we have to tell our parents." She said to her husband as she sat up.

"Are we keeping this baby then?"

"We don't have a choice. What if I die or I'm not able to have any more children?"

"Are you sure about this? I'm only going to go along with this if it is what you want."

"I'm sure. We just have to work harder I guess."

Jin-wook pulled her into a hug. "I'll take care of it I promise. I won't let anything hurt you." 

********************************************************************************************************

"Omma, please say something." Young-ae said to her mother.

Young-ae, Jin-wook and their mothers sat together in the small living room of the couple's house. 

"What am I supposed to say?" Her mother sighed.

"Well, they are already married so I don't see why it should be a problem." Jin-wook's mother said firmly.

"But they are so young, already parents at 22. They've only been married a year."

"What are you talking about? During our time, people got married younger than this."

"How are they going to cope?" Young-ae's mother asked again.

"We can always help them out. We'll look after the baby on alternate weekends and when they need to study for exams." Jin-wook's mother said trying to convnce Young-ae's mother. 

"Omoni, I'll do my best to take care of Young-ae. You've known me for so long, please trust me." Jin-wook said.

"I'm not a child Omma, I can take care of myself. I'll try hard, we'll try." Young-ae said.

Her mother sighed again, she had no choice but to silence her worries.

*********************************************************************************************************

8 months later, 4th December 2:35 am

Young-ae sat up in bed and the bedside lamp. She gently shook Jin-wook awake.

"What's wrong?" He asked rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"I think I'm in labour." She replied.

He was fully awake now. "What? How do you know? Are you okay?"

"I'm in pain right now. How can I be okay?" She said quietly.

"Mianhae. Ottoke ottoke." He panicked.

"Jin-wook, we have to get a taxi and go to the hospital quickly."

"Ah yes of course. Can you walk?" He asked. 

"Aigoo, bring me my jacket. Palli." She doubled over as another wave of pain hit her. 

They managed to dress warmly enough, stopping every few minutes when Young-ae felt pain. By the time they got to the hospital, Jin-wook was half out of his mind while Young-ae tried to remain calm. When Young-ae was taken to a delivery room, Jin-wook stepped out to call their mothers and he told them what was going on. As he hung up, a doctor approached him.

"You're the guardian of Lee Young-ae, right?"

"Yes doctor."

"Well, you see, her pelvis isn't wide enough to deliver the baby naturally, so we have to perform a Caesarean Section."

"Will she be okay if you do that?"

"We'll try our best sir."

"Okay, please do it. Just make sure she's okay." 

Before Young-ae was taken to surgery, Jin-wook was allowed to see her. 

"Young-aeya, kwaenchana?"

"Ah, Jin-wookah, why are there so many things wrong with me?"

"What are you talking about? None of this is your fault."

"I know. I just..."

"Shh, it's all going to be okay. I'll see you and our baby in another three hours. Don't worry."

"Really?"

"Hmm, really. I'll be here when you wake up."

"Saranghae Jin-wookah."

"Saranghae Young-aeya."

He kissed her forehead and the attendants came and wheeled her into surgery. He waited outside the theater along with their mothers and three hours later, the doctor came out.

"It's a girl." He said.

"What about my wife, is she okay?" Jin-wook asked.

"Well, she lost a lot of blood during the surgery and we tried, but we couldn't save her." The doctor said quietly.

"Doctor, what are you saying?"

"I'm sorry sir, but your wife is dead."

It had to be a lie, she couldn't be gone. He so wanted to believe it was a lie. He had told her he would be here when she woke up. He promised to take care of her and to keep her from harm. He broke his promise. He felt a huge weight settle in his chest, but his eyes were dry. He couldn't cry.

"If you want to see your daughter, one of the nurses will take you to the nursery."

"Can I see my wife instead?" He asked, his voice was shaking.

"Of course, this way." The doctor led him to where Young-ae was while the mothers were taken to see their granddaughter.

Jin-wook slowly pulled the cloth off Young-ae's cold face and stared at his once beautiful and alive wife. "Mianhae Youngaeya. This is all my fault. I promised to protect you. I'm so sorry. But, you know, we have a daughter. How am I going to do it without you? How will I raise her without you? To think she would never know how amazing you are, never hear your voice. Ottoke?" He gripped the bed frame as silent tears rolled down his cheeks. After a while, he pulled himself together and asked one of the nurses to take him to the nursery.

"There she is." The nurse indicated his daughter through the window and he stared at the baby.

"Can I hold her? Is that okay?" he asked quietly.

"Of course, come this way."

"Annyeong, Kim Su-jin. I'm your daddy. I'll look after you and protect the way I couldn't protect your mother. You are so beautiful, you have your mother's eyes." Tears blurred his vision as he held his daughter in his arms. She was so tiny, and so fragile. 'Why did we ever think of aborting this precious thing?' he thought to himself. "Mianhae aegiya. Mianhae."

 

Author's note: Okay, I promise, there will be no more tears in the next few chapters. I'll try not to take too long before I update but I can't promise anything. Enjoy.