Chapter 15

Young-ae's Ghost

Young-ae got out of Ha-na’s bed in the morning and looked at herself in the mirror. It was finally the day when she would be able to cross the river to the other world. She made the bed and straightened up around the house while she waited for the officer that was going to come and take her away. She heard a knock on the door and called out, ”I’m coming.” She opened the door and saw a young girl who looked no more than sixteen standing there. “Mwoya? Are you the officer?” She looked her up and down, the girl was wearing a pair of ripped jeans and an equally ripped black top. She had so many necklaces around her neck and she was wearing such dark eye make-up that it looked like someone punched both her eyes. Young-ae laughed.

“Lee Young-ae?” The girl asked.

“Yes, that’s me. Are you really the officer? I was expecting someone older and scarier what with all the ‘you will be forcibly removed and punished’ business.” Young-ae said.

“This way please.” The girl said.

“I’m curious, how much strength could you possibly have that you’d be able to forcibly remove me?” Young-ae folded her arms across her chest.

Suddenly, there was a loud thunderclap and the girl removed one of her necklaces and it glowed red. The girl’s face became darker and she said. “I’m going to say this only once more, this way please.”

“Okay okay, I’m coming no need for all you theatrics.” Young-ae followed the girl to where a motorbike was parked and the girl got on. Young-ae got on behind the girl and the bike sped off. Everything was a blur as they rode past and before Young-ae knew what was happening, they were at a river she had only been once before. The girl indicated that she get off the bike and once Young-ae was off, the girl disappeared probably off to reap another soul. Young-ae turned toward the river and saw a boat coming toward her from the horizon. It stopped in front of her and the old man at the stern looked at her.

“Lee Young-ae?” he asked and she nodded. He beckoned to her and she sat in the boat. The old man used his stick to touch the water and the boat turned around and began to move on its own. It kept going until Young-ae couldn’t see anything because it was so far away, and then everything went white.

 

Yoo-ah was the first to wake up and she decided to make breakfast after washing up. She mixed up some eggs and made French toast. She was making coffee when Kang-min walked into the kitchen. “Good morning dear.” He said and give her a back hug.

“Did you sleep well?” She said turning around and handing him a cup of coffee.

“Eo.” He took a sip out of his coffee and sighed, “This is not a bad thing to wake up to every day.” He kissed her hair then sat and stared at her as she went around the kitchen cleaning up what she had used in cooking and pouring herself a cup of coffee. When she was done, they headed to the living room and cuddled on the sofa.

“It’s nice to get away from work, we were so busy this week I thought I was going to go crazy.” She nestled into his arms and closed her eyes. “Ah, nomu chuwa.”

“Jagiya, do you think we should move our wedding up to next month?” He asked.

“Why?” she asked eyes still closed.

“Why not? We were going to have it in August anyway, what difference does it make having it a month earlier?” He asked.

“There are so much preparations to be made, we have to re-print invitation cards. Do you how difficult it is to book a hall on short notice? Besides, people are going to think I’m pregnant.” Yoo-ah said moving away to look at his face.

“What does it matter what people think? We’re getting married not them.” Kang-min retorted.

“Does this make any sense to you?” Yoo-ah threw her hands up in the air.

“This doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that you’re still uncertain of your feelings for me, right?”

“What the hell are you talking about now?”

“We’ve been together for three months, and you’ve never once told me that you loved me even though I’ve told you countless times.”

“Do I have to spell it out for you every time? Are the words that important for you to hear?” Yoo-ah asked trying to tamp down her growing anger.

“I’m not a mind reader, you have to tell me how you feel.” They were almost shouting now.

“I’m not doing this with you this early in the morning.” She picked up her coffee mug which she had dropped on the table when their argument started and went into her bedroom and slammed the door startling Ha-na who was coming out of the shower.

“What’s wrong with you?” Ha-na asked as she dried her hair with a towel.

“Kang-minssi wants to move up away wedding to next month, do that make sense?” She folded her arms and sat angrily on her bed.

“Why is that a problem? What difference does whether you have it in July or August make to cause you to have a fight this early in the morning?” Ha-na asked.

“Ani, we have to rush all the preparations. Booking a hall, re-printing invitation cards, the caterer, everything.”

“Those sound like flimsy excuses to me. Are you having second thoughts?” Ha-na asked as she sat opposite her friend and looked into her eyes.

“Ani, it’s all so wasteful.” Yoo-ah said but her words had lost all its bite.

“Yoo-ahya, I’ve known you for eighteen years, I can tell what you’re feeling just by looking at you.”

Yoo-ah sighed. “I don’t think I’m ready. As the days draw closer I feel a sinking in my stomach.”

“I thought you said you liked Kang-minssi? Didn’t you say he made you feel safe?” Ha-na placed a hand on her friend’s shoulder.

“I do like him, but I’m scared. Sometimes, I lay awake in my apartment and think of what would happen if I woke up one morning and my feelings had changed or worse, his changed. I don’t think I can take another heart break so soon. So far, I’ve done a good job of keeping my apprehensions in check but when he started talking about moving up the wedding I just lost it. What am I going to do Ha-naya?”

“Yoo-ahya, Kang-minssi is such a nice person, you know this in your heart. Don’t let your fears hold happiness back from you, you deserve to be happy.” Ha-na hugged her and patted her back.

Yoo-ah sighed. “This is why you need to have poor friends, they have nothing to give you but love.”

“Ya!” Ha-na slapped her back and they both laughed.

Jin-wook had come out of the room after hearing the door of the girls’ room slam and he saw Kang-min sitting on the sofa looking dejected. “Ya, what’s wrong with you?”

“I had a fight with Yoo-ah.”

“On this beautiful morning, why?”

“I told her I thought we should move up the wedding and she refused. Do you think she doesn’t like me enough? I feel like I love her too much.”

“Minah, in relationships there’s always someone who loves more, it doesn’t mean the other person loves you less. Why do you want to move up the wedding anyway?”

“I just can’t wait to start a life together with her. I’m not getting any younger I want to be able to play with my children before I get too old.”

“Well what difference does a month make, would it kill you to wait? You already love her this much and you’ve waited this long, one more month isn’t going to change anything. Besides, I’m sure Yoo-ahssi loves you too, maybe she’s just being cautious. Someone has to be in a relationship between both of you since you’re the one who likes to plunge headlong into things.”

“But she has never once told me that she loved me since we’ve been together, every time I say it she changes the topic.”

“Minah, aren’t you reading a little too much into this? She doesn’t strike me as someone who would let things get to this extent if she wasn’t interested, I mean you’re engaged already.” Kang-min sighed.

“I suppose you’re right, waiting a month isn’t going to change anything. I got a little ahead of myself.”

“Of course I’m right. Goodness you people though, kicking up a fuss on such a beautiful morning in such a beautiful place.” Jin-wook tsked and went to the dining room to have breakfast. “Ya Choi Kang-min, stop brooding and let’s eat.” Jin-wook called out to him.

Yoo-ah and Ha-na came out of their room and went to join the boys for breakfast. Yoo-ah sat next to Ha-na on one side and Kang-min sat next to Jin-wook on the other side and they ate in silence. When Ha-na couldn’t take the tension anymore she yelled. “Ya! Just talk to each other so I can swallow my food comfortably, chincha!”

Yoo-ah and Kang-min spoke at the same time. “I’m sorry.”

“You first.” Yoo-ah said.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it. One month isn’t going to kill me. It’s just I feel so unsure sometimes, I ask myself ‘does she like me’. I’m the kind of person that likes to be told these things. I didn’t mean to put you in an uncomfortable position.” Kang-min said.

“No, I’m the one who’s sorry. I really like you Kang-minssi but I’m recovering from a broken heart and even though it’s been a while since it happened, my emotions took a big blow and I’ve just managed to move on from it. I’m trying my best to match up to you.” Yoo-ah said.

Kang-min reached for her hand across the table and caressed it. “It’s okay, take your time I’m willing to wait for you. Don’t keep these things to yourself, I’m always here for you.” He said.

Ha-na gestured to Jin-wook to switch sides with Yoo-ah so she could sit next to Kang-min. “Kiss her, kiss her.” Ha-na chanted when Yoo-ah was seated next to Kang-min, and Kang-min obliged by giving her a kiss on her forehead. Ha-na squealed and clapped her hands. “I’m jealous.” She said.

“Do you want me to kiss you?” Jin-wook asked from beside her, he was caught up in the romantic mood.

“Aniyo.” Ha-na said quickly, she was blushing furiously.

“Mwoya? Do it Jin-wookssi. Do it, do it.” Yoo-ah chanted. Jin-wook raised his eyebrows at Ha-na before he placed a quick kiss on her cheek. Ha-na’s head dropped to the table and Yoo-ah and Kang-min erupted into laughter.

After breakfast, they gathered round the table to discuss what they should do now that they were here. “Let’s go horse-back riding, I saw some on the way when we came into town.” Ha-na said and Kang-min pulled out his phone to check for the horse ranch’s contact information.

“What else?” He asked.

“The beach, we can’t come all the way to Busan and not go to the beach.” Yoo-ah said.

“Okay, anything else?” Kang-min asked again.

“Noraebang, it can be the last stop of the day.” Yoo-ah piped in.

“We have to go shopping today, everywhere would be closed tomorrow and we have to head back to Seoul.” Jin-wook said.

“Well, we can go shopping before we go to the beach.” Kang-min said.

“Alright. Ha-naya, let’s go and make food for a picnic at the beach.” Yoo-ah said and Ha-na followed her to the kitchen while Kang-min called the horse ranch and Jin-wook went to pack up the things they needed for the picnic.

Soon after, they headed out to the horse ranch. They were given riding costumes to change into and they took turns learning how to ride the horses before challenging each other to an impromptu race, Kang-min against Jin-wook and Yoo-ah against Ha-na. Jin-wook won against Kang-min and Yoo-ah won against Ha-na. Next, they headed off to the beach. Ha-na and Jin-wook sat on the beach while Kang-min and Yoo-ah went to play in the water.

“Were you very shocked this morning? Didn’t you tell me to be more obvious about my feelings?” Jin-wook said.

“I didn’t think you would start immediately, I mean it took you three months to call me and ask me out on a date.” Ha-na replied.

“I was lost in the moment, it felt right.” Jin-wook said and Ha-na smiled. “You have such a lovely smile, like a little child.”

“You’re just going to pour your heart out now, aren’t you?” She laughed.

“Do you not want me to?” Jin-wook asked.

“Of course I want you to, continue to pour everything out. You’ll get heartburn if you keep your feelings locked up for too long. That’s what my mother always said.”

“How come you don’t like to talk about your father?” He asked and the smile promptly disappeared from her face.

“What’s there to talk about someone I don’t know?” She asked.

“Do you resent him?” He asked softly.

She looked out at the water for a while before sighing. “Honestly, I resented him when I was younger. My mother said he left her when he found out she was pregnant with me. I felt angry like why didn’t he want to meet me? My mother was nineteen years old when she got pregnant so she was unable to go to the university. She said he was twenty-one at the time and he didn’t have a job. She said he told her to have an abortion but she refused because she wanted to have the child of the man that she loved so he told her that he couldn’t stay with her. My mother was an orphan and she didn’t know any of her family members so there was no one to help her. She had to work a couple of part-time jobs until she was too heavy to stand, then she took up translating work where she didn’t have to move around so much. She told me that it was a kind woman who took pity on her that helped her pay the hospital bills when she delivered me. All these she told me when I was seven years old and kept hounding her about my father because all the kids in my school had fathers that picked them up and came to parent-teacher meetings. I cried so much that day but I got over it eventually, I put all my resolve into making something of myself so that even if I had a chance to meet him later, I could stand tall in front of him.”

“Do you know if your mother ever found him and told him about you?”

“I don’t know since I never asked her. I didn’t like bringing it up since I knew how much it hurt her to remember it. My mother was a gentle soul, even in my rebellious teenage years she would try to understand me and not nag. One time, we got into a fight and I told her I hated her before leaving for school then I heard she got into an accident and my world came to a grinding halt. I thought I had lost her that and the only thing that kept replaying in my head was the stupid argument we had in the morning. We became best friends after that and remained so until she passed away.”

“How did she die?”

“Cervical cancer.” She replied.

Jin-wook put a hand on her shoulder and patted her. “You did the same for me the day I talked to you about Young-ae, remember?” He smiled at her and she smiled back.

“What are you two doing?” Kang-min said as he and Yoo-ah approached them.

“Just talking, did you have fun?” Jin-wook asked.

“Eo.” Kang-min replied, he reached for piece of kimbap and put it into Yoo-ah’s mouth. “Eat this.”

“Aren’t you guys going in the water? It’s refreshing.” Yoo-ah said.

“Should we?” Jin-wook got up and held his hand out to Ha-na. She took his hand and followed him.

“Have fun.” Yoo-ah yelled after them and Kang-min put another piece of kimbap in . Jin-wook and Ha-na moved closer to the water when suddenly, he swung her into his arms and she squealed.

“What are you doing?”

“Don’t you know what ‘water play’ is?” he smiled mischievously.

“Hajima, chincha hajima.” Ha-na laughed but he threw her into the water anyway, she was holding on to his shirt and he toppled into the water after her.

She let out loud peals of laughter. “I told you not to do it, didn’t I? Mehrong.”

They played in the water for some time before they went back to have lunch. They took a few pictures together and then packed up and went shopping. At the mall, Jin-wook picked out something for his mother and Su-jin with Ha-na’s help and Yoo-ah and Kang-min picked out something for their parents too. Jin-wook also bought a scarf for Young-ae’s mother. They decided to have dinner first before heading to the noraebang. At the noraebang, Ha-na’s and Yoo-ah’s hidden love for trot music was discovered when they sang Hotter Than Chili Peppers and Love Battery to the endless amusement of the men. Yoo-ah finally convinced Kang-min to sing and he decided to amuse Yoo-ah by singing I Only Know Love. Ha-na pleaded with Jin-wook to sing a song for her since Kang-min sang one for Yoo-ah and after much convincing he finally decided to sing Love Fiction. Immediately the song started, Ha-na leapt to her feet. “I love this song.” She said and cheered loudly as he sang.

“Jin-wookssi, isn’t that a confession song?” Yoo-ah teased and he smiled. “Eung, you must be so happy this girl.” She said to Ha-na. They all sang one last song together before they headed back to the cottage. At the cottage, Kang-min and Ha-na headed to bed because they were so tired and Jin-wook sat on the front stairs to enjoy the night breeze.

“You aren’t sleeping yet?” Yoo-ah asked as she joined him on the stairs.

“I’ll go in in a little bit.” He replied.

They were both silent for a while then Yoo-ah spoke. “You’ve known Kang-minssi for a long time, right? What were his ex-girlfriends like?”

Jin-wook glanced at her before turning his gaze back up to the stars. “I’m not sure I should tell you that, you know best friend confidentiality and all that.”

“No, I just wanted to know how he was with them, it’s not like I’m asking for their names and addresses.” Yoo-ah quickly amended.

“Yoo-ahssi, Kang-min is the type to commit to a woman completely when he loves her and I’m not saying that just because he’s my friend. He’s a really good guy, my mother brought me up to have respect for women and I wouldn’t be friends with someone who didn’t, think of how badly it would reflect on me.” He said.

“Ah, I see.” She said and then there was silence again.

“Yoo-ahssi,” Jin-wook said sheepishly, “What was Ha-na like when she was in high school?”

“Are you asking me if she was popular with the boys? Best friend confidentiality.” Yoo-ah replied giving his words back to him and he smiled.

“Ah.” He said.

“Relax Jin-wookssi, Ha-na likes you. She’s the type to go after something she’s set her mind to without stopping until she gets it. She doesn’t care much for other people’s opinions when she knows what she’s doing is what makes her happy. I admire that a lot about her, her strong resolve. She’s a beautiful person inside and out and I’m not just saying that because she’s my friend.”

“I already know that.” Jin-wook said. He got up to go inside and Yoo-ah followed him and locked the door behind her.

 

“I want to come along to pick up Su-jin.” Ha-na said as they got into the car. She knew Jin-wook would want to drop her off at home first.

“Are you sure you’re ready to meet my mother?” he asked fastening his seat belt.

“It’s now or never.” She replied and fastened hers and Jin-wook drove to his mother’s house.

They walked up to the door and Ha-na hid behind Jin-wook when he knocked on the door. The door swung open and Su-jin hugged her father. “Look who I brought.” He said when she let him go and he stepped aside.

Ha-na opened her arms and Su-jin launched herself at her. “You’re going to fall Kim Su-jin.” Ha-na said as she embraced her, she didn’t know she had missed her this much until she saw her again.

Su-jin pulled Ha-na into the house and called out to her grandmother. “Halmoni, Ha-na unni is here.”

Her grandmother came out to meet them and she broke into a smile. “Annyeonghaseyo omoni, Song Ha-naibnida.” She said and bowed to her.

“Aigoo so pretty, so pretty.” Jin-wook’s mother replied and hugged her.

“Eomma, no hugs for me? Everyone just ignores me when Ha-na is around, isn’t it?” Jin-wook said.

“Don’t be jealous.” She said and hugged her son.

“Omoni, we brought you something and Su-jin too. Jin-wookssi and I picked it out.” Ha-na presented the two bags to Su-jin and her grandmother.

Jin-wook’s mother opened her bag and saw a shiny black hat in it and she smiled. “It’s so pretty.” She said trying it on.

“Me now, me now.” Su-jin said and opened her own bag and saw a pair of white shoes in them. “So pretty. Thank you appa, unni.” She gasped.

“Come and sit down and let me get you something to eat before you go. Su-jinah, where’s the kimchi I packed for Ha-na?”

“I’ll go and get it.” Su-jin said and headed for the kitchen.

After Jin-wook’s mother fed them, they said goodbye to her. “Come back and visit again, okay?” Jin-wook’s mother said to Ha-na while Su-jin loaded her bag into the car.

“Neh, I will definitely come back again. Thank you for the kimchi omoni.” She said and Jin-wook’s mother embraced her again. Jin-wook kissed his mother goodbye and they drove off while she waved at them. “Your family likes giving out hugs.” Ha-na laughed.

“We’re a family with a lot of love to give, right appa?” Su-jin piped in from the backseat.

“Right.” He said agreeing with her.

“Su-jinah, take a look at the pictures we took in Busan.” Ha-na passed her phone to Su-jin.

“Uwah, I’m so jealous. Appa, you have to take me along when next you and Ha-na unni go to Busan, okay? Promise?” Su-jin stuck her pinky finger out to her father from the backseat and he linked his with hers and promised.

“Does that mean she’s going to come with us on our honeymoon?” Ha-na joked.

“Ah, chuwa chuwa.” Su-jin clapped and Jin-wook laughed. They dropped Ha-na off first and Su-jin stuck her head out the window and waved goodbye to her until she was out of sight. Ha-na walked into her house and called out, “Unni, I’m back. Ah, that’s right she’s gone to the other world.” She set down her bag and sat on the sofa. The house seemed quieter without Young-ae around. Even she couldn’t see her, she could always feel her presence in the house, but now there was nothing. “I hope you’re happy where you are now.” She said.

 

“Omoni, good evening.” Jin-wook said as Young-ae’s mother opened the door.

“Jin-wookah, it’s been a while. Come in.” She said and she led him to the living room to sit down. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been fine thank you. I was in Busan a few days ago and I brought you something.” He said and gave her the bag containing the scarf he bought her.

She pushed the bag back into his hands. “You need to stop bringing me gifts now Jin-wookah. It’s been fourteen years already.”

“Omoni, this is a gift from my heart not because Young-ae was your daughter. You are like a mother to me, please don’t cut ties with me just because Young-ae is no longer with us. We are still connected by Su-jin.” He said and pressed it into her hands.

She hesitated a bit before she accepted the bag and smiled. “Thank you.”

“I’m going to say my final goodbye to Young-ae today. I found someone. I think she would want me to be happy now.” He said and the older woman patted his hands. Jin-wook then drove to where Young-ae was interred. “Young-aeya, have you been well? I haven’t come to visit you in a long time, I’m sorry. I have something to tell you and you cannot be angry, okay? I met someone. Her name is Song Ha-na. She’s so nice and pretty and she treats me and Su-jin so well. I like her a lot and I think you would have liked her too if you met her. You aren’t mad, right? I know you would have wanted me to be happy because that’s how much you loved me, and I am happy now. I hope to be with Ha-na for a very long time so cheer for us on the other side, okay? Thank you for all the love that you gave me while you were with me. I love you always.” He said and with that, Jin-wook laid his memories of Young-ae to rest.