Chapter 13

Young-ae's Ghost

Ha-na let him in and closed the door behind him. “Can’t it wait until tomorrow? It’s been a really long day.”

“I’m sorry, it can’t. If I don’t say it now, I might lose my courage.” Jin-wook replied.

She indicated that he sit down on the sofa and she sat opposite him. “What’s the matter?” She asked.

“I thought a lot on my way to the hospital about the reason you were so upset over the phone…”

“It was nothing Jin-wookssi, I was a little emotional because of the situation.”

“No, no. I understand how attached you are to Su-jin, Kang-min told me about how upset you were. Ha-nassi, I don’t hate you, I swear I don’t. If anything, I’m trying to be very careful.”

Ha-na watched Jin-wook, he seemed unable to meet her eyes. “Careful of what?”

“I-I haven’t been able to love another woman in the fourteen years since Young-ae died, there have been women but none really made me feel the way I felt about Young-ae. A few times, Su-jin had become attached to them but they had to leave because of me. She is a very strong child, but I’ve noticed how hurt she has been those times when she thought something was going to happen and it didn’t.”

“So what has that got to do with me?” Ha-na asked.

“Until I met you. That first day at the picnic, I felt something that I hadn’t felt in all these years and I was scared. I didn’t call you for three months because I thought it would go away. I didn’t want to give myself hope and I didn’t want to give Su-jin hope either. Normally, she would let it go but she refused to let you go. I didn’t know what to do. You deserve someone who isn’t held down by their past, someone who you can be everything for.” Jin-wook finally finished with a sigh.

Ha-na had tears in her eyes, she knelt in front of him and took his hands in hers. “Jin-wookssi, it’s been fourteen years. That’s enough time to let go of the past and allow yourself to have some hope. Did you know, I already planned on giving up on everything but it was hard for me because I love Su-jin too much? I thought you hated me and I thought I was making a fool of myself by trying to get close to the both of you. I can’t let Su-jin go either and by extension I don’t want you to push me away. I know how much pain is in your heart, I saw it in your eyes just through the picture Yoo-ah showed me of you. I want to help you heal that pain, if you’re willing to give me a chance.”

Jin-wook met her eyes for the first time and saw the tears on her face. He reached for her face and wiped her tears. “You want to heal me and you’re the one who’s crying.” He smiled.

“These aren’t tears of sadness.” She replied and smiled back. “What do you say, will you take a chance with me?”

Jin-wook nodded and laughed. His heart felt a lot lighter. “Ah, now that I’ve said what’s on my mind, I should allow you get some sleep.”

“What about you?”

“I know you don’t have a spare bedroom so I’ll be really grateful if you let me sleep on the sofa.”

“Of course, I’ll get you a blanket.” Ha-na came back with the blanket and bade Jin-wook goodnight before going to bed.

Young-ae stood at the doorway and watched Ha-na go in while Jin-wook settled in on the sofa. “Charesso Jin-wookah, kumapda Ha-naya. I can be at peace now because of the two of you.” She turned to go back into the kitchen as she had come out when she heard Jin-wook’s voice. “If I wasn’t already dead, those two would have killed me from being so cute aigoo.”

The following morning at 7 am, Ha-na got out of the bed and sleepily shuffled her way to the kitchen. “Omo.” She gasped when the figure of Jin-wook sleeping on the sofa caught her eye as she passed the living room. She had forgotten he was there and she smiled to remember their 2 am conversation. She moved closer to him and studied his face while he slept. “What kind of man has such long eyelashes?” she whispered. Suddenly, he opened his eyes and saw her. Her hand flew to to conceal her gasp of surprise.

“Good morning.” He said without getting up.

“Good morning. Did you have a good sleep?” She replied.

“Yes thank you.” He replied. There was a few seconds of awkward silence between them before he spoke up. “I think I should get up now.”

Ha-na moved backwards and stood straight. “If you need to wash up, I’m sure you remember where the bathroom is. I’m going to make some food so I can drop it off for Su-jin before I head to the store.”

“You don’t have to do…” he trailed off when she gave him a sideways look, “Sorry. I’ll just go and wash up then.” He said and went to the bathroom. She made some eggrolls and kimbap and packed it up in a lunch box.

“Are you done?” Jin-wook said as he came into the kitchen.

“Yes. I’ll go and wash up and then we can head out. Ah, I also need to get Su-jin’s bag with her clothes so she can have something to change into when she leaves the hospital.”

“Is there anything you need my help with?” he asked.

She glanced around the kitchen and shook her head. “’No, it’s all good. Help yourself to anything you feel like eating. I’ll be right back.” Ha-na left to take her shower and washed up as fast as she could, she was running late already. When she was done, she returned and saw that Jin-wook had cooked. “What’s all this?” she asked surprised.

“I made some soup, omelette and coffee. Come and sit down.”

“Wow, I don’t normally have breakfast because I like to get some extra sleep in the morning before work.” She said as she sat down.

“Su-jin always insists we have breakfast. How does it taste?” he asked as he sat opposite her.

Ha-na tasted the soup and closed her eyes. “It’s so good. I haven’t had soup this good since my mother passed away.”

“When did she die?”

“Last year. She was an excellent cook and she’d nag me so much if she knew I skipped breakfast all the time.”

“What about your father? I was curious since you only had pictures of yourself and Yoo-ahssi’s parents.”

Ha-na shrugged, “I don’t know since I never met him. All I know is that my mom used to tell me not to meet a man like him since he was such a jaesu eobsseo.” She glanced at her wristwatch and gasped. “We have to get going, it’s already 8 o’clock.” She hurriedly finished up her food and loaded the plates into the sink with Jin-wook’s help and then they left for the hospital in a taxi cab.

They got to the hospital and saw Su-jin sitting up in bed playing charades with the girl in the next bed. “Appa, unni.” She said excitedly when she saw them.

“Su-jinah, how are you? Are you still hurting?” Ha-na asked as she set the lunch box on the bedside table and sat beside her.

“It doesn’t hurt so much anymore. Good morning daddy.”

“Good morning sweetheart.” Jin-wook replied and kissed her hair.

“This is Eun-seo, Eun-seo this is my dad and this is my…er…”

“I’m her dad’s girlfriend. I made you something to eat. Close your mouth Su-jin.” She said when she saw Su-jin gaping at her.

Eun-seo bowed her head slightly and greeted them. She indicated the cast on her leg and told them she tumbled down the stair and broke her leg in three places.

“It must hurt so much. You’re so brave.” Ha-na said and smiled at her.

“Aniyo, it hurts only a little.” The girl replied shyly.

“Uwah! Eun-seoya, would you like some kimbap? My unni is a very good cook.” Su-jin said proudly as she offered her new friend some food.

“Su-jinah, I have to leave now since I need to get to the store, but I’ll be back in the afternoon with your dad to take you home.”

“Arassoyo.” She replied already shoving pieces of food into .

“I have to go too, I’ll see you later.” Her father said and she just nodded and waved him away. “Chincha.”He said and he and Ha-na left. While they were waiting for a taxi, he spoke up, “Girlfriend?”

“Then what else am I if not your girlfriend? Am I your wife?” Ha-na teased slightly raising her eyebrow but Jin-wook just laughed. A taxi stopped and Ha-na got in first. Jin-wook told the cab driver to drop her off at work first before taking him home so he could get his car.

“I’ll come and pick you up later this afternoon.” He said.

“Arasso, be safe.” She said and waved him off before heading into the store. “Good morning.” She said cheerfully as she walked into the office in the back.

“Mwoya, what’s up with you? I thought you wouldn’t come in today and if you did I didn’t expect you to be so cheerful after all the worry of yesterday. Did something good happen?” Yoo-ah said.

“You could say that.” Ha-na replied as she took her seat at her desk.

“How is Su-jin, has she woken?”

“Eo, she’s fine. We’re going to pick her up this afternoon and take her home.”

“We?”

“Jin-wookssi and I.” Ha-na replied.

Yoo-ah raised her eyebrow incredulously. “Mwoya? I thought you were putting a stop to everything.”

“I had a long talk with Jin-wookssi and I changed my mind. We are officially dating from now.” Ha-na smiled a smile so big her face was in danger of splitting in two.

“Omo. Omo. Omona! I’m so happy for you chinguya.” Yoo-ah said clapping her hands.

“Keuchi keuchi. I was so sure I was going to miserable for a long time. I didn’t even know I liked Jin-wookssi this much.” Ha-na blushed.

“Oh, do you think we’ll get married at the same time?” Yoo-ah asked excitedly.

“Oh ya, why are you bringing up marriage when we just started dating?” Ha-na said feeling flustered.

“Eung, as if it hasn’t crossed your mind.” Yoo-ah teased.

“Ah meolla meolla. Let’s stop talking about it.”

“I’m going to tell Kang-minssi.” Yoo-ah picked up her phone and dialed his number.

“Ya! Hajima!” Ha-na yelled but Yoo-ah already started talking to him. She was so embarrassed she left the office.

 

Jin-wook had barely settled in when Kang-min strolled through his office door. “Good morning. Yoo-ah told me.” He smiled and took a seat opposite his friend’s desk.

“Ya, don’t you have work to do this morning? It’s too early to gossip. You didn’t even ask after Su-jin.”

“You seem to be forgetting that I was in the hospital till almost midnight yesterday, besides Yoo-ah told me Su-jin was fine. She heard it from Ha-na.”

“It’s just something we decided this morning. I think I’m ready.” Jin-wook said.

Kang-min studied his friend quietly for a few minutes before he spoke up. “In all the years I have known you, I’ve never been prouder of you than in this moment. Your happiness means a lot to me brother and I’m so happy that you’re willing to take a chance. It’s a good day.” He got up and turned to leave. “We should send Su-jin to her grandmother’s house this weekend and take a weekend vacation together, all four of us. What do you think?” Kang-min asked.

“I’ll have to discuss with Su-jin later today, but it sounds like a great idea.” Jin-wook said and Kang-min smiled and left his office.

 

Jin-wook pulled up in front of the house but before he could get Ha-na’s door, she had got out to help Su-jin.

“Careful careful.” Ha-na said and held Su-jin’s hand.

“Ah, I’m not an invalid.” Su-jin grumbled.

Jin-wook reached in to grab her bag and followed them to the door to open it. “Welcome to our home. Su-jin’s room is this way.” He started to lead the way when Su-jin stopped him.

“I’ll take her myself.” She took her bag from her father and held Ha-na’s hand to lead her to her room.

“Wow, your room is lovely Su-jinah, and neat too.” Ha-na complimented and Su-jin smiled a very proud smile.

“Unni, I would like to show you something.”

“What’s that?” she asked and Su-jin got the picture of her mother out of her drawer and showed it to her.

“It’s my mom.” She answered.

Ha-na stared at the picture. “Ah, so this is what you look like Young-aessi.” She thought to herself. “She’s very pretty, you look just like her.” Ha-na said to Su-jin.

“You think? I’ve always thought I looked like appa even though he keeps telling me I am her spitting image.”

“You’re beautiful just like your mother.”Ha-na said again.

“Unni, are you really serious about what you said in the hospital this morning? About being appa’s girlfriend?” Su-jin asked hesitantly.

Ha-na took her hands. “Yes, I am. I’m willing to stay with you and your father for as long as it takes.”

Su-jin rested her head on Ha-na’s chest. “I did remember the dream I had yesterday, I was so scared you were going to leave me. I remembered everything.”

“You don’t have to worry, I’m not going anywhere.” She replied as she her hair.

“Unni.”

“Wae?”

“I love you.”

Ha-na pulled her closer. “I love you too Kim Su-jin.”

 

After helping Su-jin settle in, Ha-na wandered out to the front of the house and saw Jin-wook sitting in a chair swing. He seemed to be in deep thought. “What are you doing?” She asked and he looked up and smiled at her. She felt her heart skip a beat.

“Just thinking. Are you free this weekend?” he asked.

“Waeyo?” Ha-na asked as she sat next to him on the chair swing.

“Kang-min thinks all four of us should take a weekend vacation and I agree it’s a pretty good idea.”

“But what about Su-jin?”

“We can send her to her grandmother’s house.”

“Ah, it seems like a good idea then. I’ve not had a vacation in about a year. What with pouring all my savings into starting a business with Yoo-ah and leasing my house I’ve not been able to afford one.”

“When did you and Yoo-ah meet?”

“In 8th grade. She had transferred to our school and she used to get picked on by the other children because she was so little.” Ha-na said and Jin-wook laughed. “Don’t let her know I said that, she’d kill me.” Jin-wook made a zip gesture with his fingers. “I helped her fight one of the boys who were picking on her, turns out he actually had a crush on Yoo-ah and was trying to get her attention. Anyway, we’ve been friends since then. How did you meet Kang-minssi?”

“Ah, Kang-min was my life’s savior. Young-ae had just died and I was struggling with taking care of Su-jin on my own and juggling my school work. One day, I was trying to study for an exam when my babysitter called me suddenly and told me she had to leave because an emergency had come up. My mother was out of town and Young-ae’s mother was ill and there was no one for me to leave Su-jin with so I had to go and pick her up and take her to the library. Everything was fine because she was asleep but then she woke up and she started crying. There was nothing I could do to make her stop and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown when someone tapped me on the shoulder and said ‘let me try’. I gave Su-jin to him and she quieted immediately. I swear I thought it was magic. I decided there and then that whoever this mysterious stranger was would be her godfather. Luckily for me, he sat next to me in the exam hall the following day and the rest, as they say, is history.” Jin-wook laughed. There was silence between them for a few minutes before Jin-wook spoke. “Do you want to stay for dinner?”

“Really?”

“Yes, I’ll cook something good for you.”

“I’d love to.”

After dinner, Ha-na and Jin-wook cleaned up and then he offered to drop her off at home.

“Su-jinah, will you be okay by yourself?” Jin-wook asked his daughter who was laid out in front of the TV sipping on a glass of orange juice.

“Of course, take all the time you need.” She replied cheekily.

“I’ll see you later sweetheart.” Ha-na said and kissed her hair.

 

Jin-wook arrived in front of Ha-na’s house but was loathe to send her in just yet. “Here we are.”

“Yes, here we are. Thanks…”

“Thanks…” They spoke at the same time and they laughed at themselves. “You first.” Jin-wook said.

“Thanks for dropping me off.”

“Thank you for everything. For taking care of Su-jin, and for taking a chance on me.” He said.

“I wanted to. I hope that you keep taking more steps to become a happier person, even without me.” Ha-na replied and got out. Jin-wook followed her to her front door and she waved at him and went inside while he watched. He turned and walked back to his car, got in and started the ignition. He couldn’t help smiling and suddenly, he looked forward to the weekend.