Chapter 1

Young-ae's Ghost

"Jin-wookah." Young-ae leaned over the table and poked Jin-wook in the shoulder. They were studying for their final exams but Young-ae was having a hard time concerntrating.

"Wae?" He asked without looking up from his textbook.

"Are you doing anything tonight?" She asked again.

She was going to confess her feelings to him. She knew it was the right time. She had loved him since they were in middle school but he had never looked at her. She had even helped him ask his first girlfriend out and then she had gone home and cried herself to sleep. Her mother had told her countless times to give up on him and find someone else, but she had refused. She had told her mother that since she had never told him that she loved him, she didn't know if he felt the same way. If she confesses and gets rejected, only then would she give up on him. Rrecently, Jin-wook had come to her house and told him that he had broken up with his girlfriend. He had told her that he didn't feel right with her. "She's not like you. I can't be natural around her." He had said, that day they sat in her room and had a beer together.

Jin-wook looked up from his book and stared at her. "Why do you want to know?"

"Want to come over to my house for pizza? My parents are gone for the weekend and I'm going to be bored alone. Let's watch a movie."

"Fine, I don't have anything planned anyway. I'll see you at seven." He replied and turned his attention back to his book. He didn't notice the bright smile that lit up Young-ae's face.

*********************************************************************

Jin-wook held up two shirts and went to find his mother in the kitchen. "Omma, this shirt?" he indicated the checkered button down shirt "Or this one?" he indicated the black button down shirt.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to Young-ae's house."

His mother raised an eyebrow at him. "If you keep hanging around her, you'll never find another girlfriend."

"Omma!"

"What? You said yourself that you asked her what she thought of you and she said she sees you as just friends. What kind of blind girl can't see that you've been in love with her for three years or isn't that why you broke up with Kang-hee?"

"Omma, I'm okay with just being friends with her. I just want to treasure our friendship."

"Aigoo, this boy. Why can't you just tell her how you feel? The worst she can do is reject you. Right?"

"Omma, just pick a shirt please."

His mother sighed and pointed to the black one. He smiled and kissed her cheek. "Kumawo Omma." He ran back to his room to change.

"Confess to her tonight Paboya!" His mother yelled at him as the door closed.

********************************************************************************

Jin-wook arrived at her house on his motorbike and rang the doorbell. She answered wearing a knee-length pink floral patterned dress. He hadn't seen her in a dress since they were five, almost sixteen years ago. She looked beautiful. A voice popped into his head, 'tell her she's pretty. Don't just stand there and gawk. Tell her she looks beautiful.' And so he opened his mouth and said "Young-aeya, why are you wearing a dress?" 'Aish pabo!' the voice in his head said.

"Come in." Young-ae said. She tried to keep the disappointment out of her voice. She thought he would tell her she looked pretty. She had even gone through the trouble of styling her hair and he didn't even notice.

Jin-wook made his way to the living room and sat down. "What are we watching?" he asked as Young-ae popped a casette in the video player.

"My Best Friend's Wedding." She replied. Just as she was about to join him, the doorbell rang. She collected the pizza and paid then went to join him on the sofa.

"What's the story?" he asked as he reached for a slice of the pizza.

"The woman is in love with her best friend and he's getting married. So, she tries to get him not to marry because she is in love with him."

"She's stupid, she should have told him before now that she loves him. Why wait until he is about to get married?"

"Maybe she was scared that he would reject her or that she would ruin their friendship." Young-ae said without looking away from the screen.

Jin-wook glanced at her from the side of his eyes. Her hair was pushed back behind her ears, her neck slightly exposed. He gulped and turned his attention back to the movie. "She wouldn't have known if she never told him though."

"She was probably in a one-sided love. You probably don't know what that feels like." She said quietly.

After the movie, Young-ae made coffee and they sat on the sofa together. "Jin-wookah, I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

She took a deep breath and asked, "What do you think of me as a girl?"

Jin-wook looked at her properly and gathered his courage. "I think you are a great girl, you know how to have fun, you don't nag, you know how to comfort a person when they are feeling down."

"Do you think I'd make a good girlfriend?"

"I think you'd make a great girlfriend. Why? Is there someone you like?"

"Yes. There is someone I really like. I've liked him for a long time but he doesn't know that I like him."

"How can he not know? Is he stupid?"

"A little." She laughed. "But he's really nice and he makes me laugh. He's very good to me."

"So what's the problem then?"

"I'm scared. Should I tell him that I like him?"

"Any guy would be lucky to have a great girl like you."

"Even you?"

"What?"

"Pabo, it's you. I like you. I love you. I've been in love with you since we were in middle school."

There was silence for a while, then Young-ae spoke.

"Say something Jin-wookah." 

But he was still shocked. She loved him, it was really him. When she was asking all those questions, he felt his heart sink deeper and deeper thinking that she finally had someone she loved, but it was him. She got up to leave the room, but he grabbed her hand.

"Are you serious? You really love me?"

"Why would I make a joke out of something like that?"

"You're serious?"

"Do you like me too?"

"Yes, yes I do. I've liked you for three years. I broke up with Kang-hee because I realized I liked you more. But you told me that you only saw me as a friend so I decided to hide my feelings." He was laughing now and so was she.

"So it wasn't one-sided?" she asked.

"No, I really like you."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and laughed. "So, you wanna be my boyfriend?"