Fondue

Welcome to October High Boarding School for Supernatural Young Men

Kibum had never experienced such a feeling in his seventeen years of living. Never had his heart thumped so hard against his ribs and his senses buzz so excitedly. Not only was he holding Jonghyun's hand, he was on a date with him. It was pleasant to put it in the most simple terms. Back home while he was homeschooled he had always dreamed about going out with friends for karaoke or going on a date on a breezy October afternoon. To get both was like hitting the jackpot twice in his book. Jonghyun happily chatted away about something (Kibum was too lost in his day dream to really pay attention) while Kibum kept on a dazed smile that was enough to satisfy the older boy that he was listening. 

 
 
"So have you found a date to the dance yet or are you bailing?" Jonghyun's words suddenly pulled Kibum out of his limbo. Kibum blinked and shook his head robotically.
 
Jonghyun rubbed the back of his neck,"Ah, I see. I got to thinking and maybe I want to go after all... You should go. It'll be fun I guess. I'll be there too so we can hang out, unless your date wants you to hang out with them instead then I understand." 
 
 
"Wait, you're going? I thought you said you wouldn't go!" Kibum narrowed his eyes. What suddenly brought this change of heart? 
 
 
"Well, I won't be in highschool for long so I thought I would participate. What kind of school athlete would I be if I didn't? I need to find a date though. Know anyone without one?" Kibum mentally faced palmed at the obliviousness of the guy he was oddly smitten with. 
 
 
Sometimes Kibum swore Jonghyun was smart, he was just very dense and oblivious when it came to the delicacies of the heart. Was he really asking if he knew anyone without a date? He had been trying to hint to Jonghyun that he could be that person but apparently it wasn't working out all that smoothly. 
 
"Well," Kibum dragged out, "maybe if we can't find anyone we should go together...?"
 
Jonghyun tilted his head in thought, thinking it over in uncomfortable silence, "I mean we could. Only if we can't find dates though. I don't want to steal anyone's date."
 
"You can't really steal anyone's date. It's an every man for himself thing. If you ask me first oh well. for them." 
 
"Kibum...do you just want me to take you to homecoming?" 
 
" Me? Oh no no no I'm just saying...you know if it were to happen." Kibum laughed nervously while mentally cursing himself for his carelessness. 
 
Jonghyun shrugged and kept tugging Kibum along the cobblestone sidewalk down the mall strip. Sometimes Kibum wished he could force himself into the uncharted territory that was Jonghyun's mind. What was going on in that mysterious brain of his Kibum would never know.  They entered the fondue restaurant that the werewolf was talking about. Upon entering you can smell the different chocolates and cheeses melted to sweet perfection. He knew this place; it's just a different version of the Melting Pot. 
 
They passed two trolls on a date and made their way to an empty table. Kibum was starting to get nervous again. This is how his favorite novellas always went, the couple sits down at their table and somehow manage to fall totally smitten with each other in the short time they're eating together. Would it happen for them? 
 
••• 
 
Jonghyun is...
 
 
animalistic. 
 
 
In the short time their food was delivered, Jonghyun mercilessly inhaled the treats in a matter of minutes. He eats like...well, a dog. Kibum watched in uncomfortable silence while chewing on a circular marshmallow coated in a melted, milk chocolate. 
 
"You're eating a lot of marshmallows...you're going to have a tummy ache if you continue to eat like that." Kibum warned watching the other male wearily. 
 
Jonghyun paused in mid chew and shook his head, "I eat this much normally. Besides, these aren't marshmallows. Marshmallows or typical human sweets are toxic to SN's. These are unicorn balls."
 
"What do they make marshmallows out of unicorn meat or something?" Jonghyun shook his head and stabbed his stick into another ball. 
 
"Nah, I mean they're actually balls. Like...." 
 
Kibum stopped, frozen in place. He dropped his gaze to the one he was currently eating on his stick. 
 
"Kibum..?"
 
"I think I'm going to throw up." 
 
••• 
 
After twenty minutes of barfing in the restaurant bathroom and Jonghyun spewing apologizes from the other side of the stall, the two headed out to look at all the little stands set up by the mall square. The sky was starting to turn into all kinds of oranges and pinks. Kibum sighed, he absolutely adored nights like these when the sky looked like vibrant watercolors fusing together. 
 
Jonghyun stopped in his tracks at a little set up of different kinds of jewelry and other accessories. He picks up a fedora and puts it on, grinning in the mirror set up next to the display. 
 
"Very handsome." the raven haired boy giggled as Jonghyun giddily grinned back. 
 
"Yeah? Maybe I'll buy it then~!" 
 
Kibum rolled his eyes playfully, "Yeah because because people totally wear fedoras in this day in age." 
 
They continued to browse, trying on hats that were clearly ridiculous for laughs and trying on sunglasses even if there was no need for them. It's odd. Despite being roommates Kibum knew nothing about Jonghyun, neither did he know anything about him. They were total strangers still. He found out a few things about Jonghyun's personal life. 
 
First, he enjoys writing music in his spare time hence the headphones all the time.
 
Second, he was the only one who hasn't fully matured yet in his litter.
 
Third, he used to be an insomniac not too long ago. 
 
 
Kibum then found something that had particularly caught his eye. A pair of sunglasses with the word, "FREAKEY" in black on the legs of the glasses. He inspected them with longing, but didn't have enough to buy it. Disappointed, he put it back on the rack and continued looking around. However, Jonghyun watched him the whole time. He looked at the sunglasses Kibum had picked up with interest. He waited till Kibum went off to look at the jewelry and picked up the sunglasses, checking the price tag.
 
"Four-Fourty five dollars for sunglasses?!" Jonghyun said flabbergasted by such pricey sunglasses. He frowned deeply, he only had sixty left in his debit card until his parents refilled it for the month.
 
He brought over the glasses anyways to the merchant and payed for them anyways, he got them nicely wrapped and bagged in a sleek black gift bag. He hid it behind his back when Kibum approached him. 
 
"It's getting late... Should we head back?" 
 
Jonghyun nodded, "Yeah, it's almost curfew anyways." 
 
He held onto the bag tighter as the two walked side by side back in the direction of campus.
 
 
••• 
 
Kibum exited the shower, drying his hair with a fluffy off white towel as he walked into the main room. To his surprise Jonghyun was already fast asleep, snoring peacefully. The raven haired boy shrugged and walked towards his own bed, surprised to see a small bag sitting on his pillow and a yellow fluorescent sticky note stuck to the front. Kibum picked up the bag and fished out its contents.
 
"No way..." He breathed quietly as he pulled out the sunglasses from before. He smiled widely and pulled off the note to read it.
 
 
 
Kibummie~
    I saw you looking at these sunglasses to I bought them for you. They were really expensive so wear them well! Surprise!! ㅎㅅㅎ 
 
 
 
As soon as he finished reading the note he glanced over at Jonghyun's side of the room, smiling like a total idiot. Even though they were overly priced and probably not worth it the big goof ball bought them anyways because Kibum wanted them. In his book, that's the sweetest thing someone could possibly do for him. He slipped on the glasses and looked himself over in his phone's camera. They fit his face beautifully like he knew they would. 
 
Quietly to not wake him Kibum patterned over to Jonghyun's side of the bed. He leant over and brushed away a strand of hair away from Jonghyun's closed eyes. 
 
"Thanks...it's beautiful." He whispered gently, bending down to graze his lips on the werewolf's cheek. 
 
Kibum turned off the desk light between them and made his way over to his own bed, he decided to yell at Jinki for tricking him tomorrow when he saw him.
 
"Goodnight, Jonghyun." Kibum whispered barely audibly.
 
Jonghyun pried an eye open and smiled to himself, awake the entire time. He mumbled 'Good Night' so quietly not even he could hear his own voice. 
 
••• 
 
"COME BACK HERE!"
 
 
"I SAID I WAS SORRY!"
 
 
"I WON'T STOP CHASING YOU UNTIL I HIT YOU AT LEAST ONCE."
 
Taemin and Kai sat quietly eating while the two ran around their table. Kibum was wielding a baton he had narrowed from the band front and was currently threatening to pound Jinki's face in with it.
 
"In my defense it worked to your advantage, didn't it?!" Jinki shrieked as Kibum swiped the baton, nearly hitting his ear. 
 
"Oh yeah sure! Because of you I ate a unicorn scrotum! How is that to my advantage?! Now stay still so I can hit you!" Kibum swung again, grazing Jinki's shoulder. 
 
Taemin shook his head and rested it on Kai's shoulder, "Sometimes I question why I still hang out with them. Then I remember how stuck up other vamps can be and everything is fine again." 
 
•••
 
Jonghyun stared at the calendar in the locker room with fear. This was insane. How could the school allow such an event on such a dangerous day? Surely they have to know what's going to happen if they don't move the date of the dance, right? Right on the day of homecoming, small text was printed next to the date. 
 
 
The Blood Moon rises
 
 
He gulped and looked around at his other teammates. He was worried about what would happen. Will he loose control like his brothers and the others? All that blood and chaos...not to mention the danger Kibum was in if he attended.. Jonghyun knows very well the amount of hostility the pack had towards his roommate, but he chose to play dumb for the best
 
 
He need to keep Kibum safe at all costs. 
 
All they needed was one minute and they could take care of the situation to where Kibum would cease to exist.
 
 
 
 
And it would be all Jonghyun's fault.
 
 
He didnt know if he could live with knowing that he didn't act when he had the chance. Jonghyun secretly wanted to be with Kibum, only his stubbornness held him back. How would he know it wasn't one sided? That Kibum wanted someone smarter and higher ranked than someone like him. He sighed and ruffled his hair.
 
 
 
What was he going to do?