Home Sweet Home

The Tragic Flaw

 

I sat on the bed and lied down but then immediately got up when I noticed something. I looked around. Where is the wardrobe? There’s the air conditioner, the study table and… a door. I stood up and opened it and woah, a walk-in closet which leads to where the bathroom is. I have my own bathroom! And a walk-in closet! Me and my dad lives in a small apartment in Busan and we only have one bathroom there. I went inside the bathroom. There’s a shower and a bath tub. We only have a shower in the apartment. I went back on the bed and lied down as I recall the serious conversation I had with my dad.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

It’s the day of our final exam in our summer class. I went home happily since I am confident that I will pass all of my subjects with good grades. Me and my best friend Ricky will go out tonight to celebrate the end of our summer class. It’s his idea actually. He said there’s a newly opened resto bar in town and we will go there tonight. I fished out the key of our house when I noticed that it’s open. Maybe dad is already home. I got inside and saw my father sitting on the couch watching the news report in the television.

 

“What’s up, old man?”

“Chanhee. You’re home early?”

“I finished the exam early.”

“Oh. Okay. Then go change your clothes. We have something to talk about.” And I got curious. I went inside my bedroom and quickly change clothes. What are we going to talk about? I went outside my room and sat beside him on the couch. “What is it, dad?”

“It’s about your studies.” He said as he took the remote control and turned off the tv. This must be something.

“What is it about my studies?” I asked.

“What do you think about SNU?”

“You mean Seoul National University?”

“Yes. You want to study there before, right?”

“Well yeah. Who wouldn’t? Why?” I asked curious.

“Do you still want to study there?” SNU? Who wouldn’t want to go there? Do I still want to?

“I’ve always wanted to study there. But that was before. I already like Busan University.”

“But you’ll have bigger opportunities if you go to SNU.”

“Dad, your future doesn’t depend on what school you came from. It depends on you. And I’m confident that I’ll get a decent job even if I am not a graduate from SNU.” I said as a matter of fact.

“Yeah, but a good school will help you get a good future.”

“Busan University is a good school.” I argued.

“SNU is way better.” He argued back. What does this argument entails?

“You want me to go to SNU?” I asked him.

“Yes.” He answered.

“Why?”

“Why not?”

“Why now?”

“Son, look, you know we’re not rich, right?”

“Do we have to state the obvious?” I want to roll my eyes on him.

“And you know that your school will be increasing its tuition fee this year, right?”

“Yeah.”

“My salary is just enough for our food, the bills here, and for your matriculation.”

“So where does this argument goes?”

“I’m afraid I won’t be able to provide for your schooling. That’s why I want you to transfer in SNU.”

“You’re confusing me dad. I thought we’re having a financial difficulties?”

“Yes.” He answered right away.

“Then why do you want me to transfer in SNU? It’s much more expensive there. It’s in Seoul.”

“I know. But do you remember your uncle Lee?” Which Lee? Oh yeah, the rich one.

“Yeah. And what’s with him?”

“He will help me with your matriculation. And he got a place there for you to live.” Seriously?

“At their house?”

“No. At his son’s place.”

“You mean Byunghun’s?” I asked shocked. There’s no way I will be living with him. That guy is snob and arrogant. Well, we’re not close but I can tell base on his looks.

“Yes. With your cousin Byunghun.”

“No way.”

“Son, it’s a big help for us. And this is an opportunity for you.”

“But dad-“ I stopped as I see his serious face. “I don’t even know how to cook. And besides-“

“Son, you won’t be forever with me. Time will come that you have to go on your own.” There. He got me there. He knows. And that’s it. End of discussion.

“Fine. When do you want me to move there?”

“As soon as possible. You go to your school tomorrow and ask for your credentials. The sooner you get there, the better.”

“Okay.” I said and go to my room. I lied down and stare blankly at the ceiling. Hours ago I was still discussing with Ricky about the schedule of subjects that we will take this semester. I never thought that the exam a while ago is the last day that I’ll be staying in a classroom with him. I took my phone and texted him.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

I took my phone and decided to text my dad. I have to inform him that I already arrived here safe and sound. I typed my message and hit send. Ricky still doesn’t know that I am in Seoul. And he still doesn’t know that I will be leaving him. Oh my poor friend. I’m going to miss him. He’s the only person I get along really well. I stood up and decided to grab some dinner. I went outside my room and into the kitchen. Let’s see what he has here. I opened the fridge and decided to have sandwich and orange juice. I’m not hungry actually. I just wanted to eat. Where’s Byunghun by the way? I decided to go to the living area and sat on the couch. Maybe he’s upstairs? I wonder what does his room looks like. I stood up and was about to go back to the kitchen when I saw him going downstairs. He’s now in his black hoodie.

 

“I have to go somewhere.” He answered my unspoken question. “I’ll be back soon.” He continued.

“Okay. Take care.” I said staring at him. I don’t know what to say. We’re still strangers to each other.

“Bye.”

“Bye.” And then he left. Maybe he has a date? I just shrugged and went back to the kitchen. I need more sandwich. I think I'm hungry now.

 

 

********

 

 

A/N

 

It's a short chapter, I know. :D anyway, I have subscribers! TTF has subcribers! I'm so happy. Thank you so much. :)  And thank you for the comments. Readers are loved. <3 <3 <3

 

 

D x