HOUSEMATES and ROOMMATES

The Tragic Flaw

HOUSEMATES and ROOMMATES

 

 

“Changjo” I said to the man in front of me. He looks like was expecting for me.

“You know me. Come in.” he said.

“I’ve seen you before.” I said as soon as we arrived at the living room.

“Chanhee, right?” he said.

“Yes I am.” He didn’t offer to help me with my luggage. Byunghun will help me if he’s here. Now that I mentioned him. “Where’s L. Joe?” I asked him.

“Byunghun is on his room.” Byunghun. So his relatives call him by his real name and his friends call him by L. Joe. So what would I call him? I’m his cousin so maybe Byunghun? But L. Joe is cool. L. Joe then?

“Chanhee, you’re home.” I looked up at the man going downstairs.

“L. Joe. Yeah, safe and sound.” I said. I’m more comfortable with L. Joe than with Changjo even though we’re not yet close. Yeah, not yet.

“Let’s go bring this to your room?” L. Joe said and took my luggage.

“It’s okay. I can manage.”

“No. I’m fine.” He insists. See? He’s a gentleman. I silently rolled my eyes on Changjo.

 

We made our way to my room and I was shocked when I saw two beds inside. Two beds? There’s only one bed when I left. I looked at L. Joe and he gave me an apologetic smile.

 

“You’ll be sharing the room with Changjo.” He said.

Oh. “Okay.” I said. It’s okay to share a room with him, just not the bed. I can’t sleep when someone is sharing the bed with me.

“I’m just outside. Call me if you need anything.” L. Joe said and I nod.

“Thanks.” I said and he left. There he goes with his call me if you need me. But he’s a gentleman. Good.

 

I settled my clothes in the closet. The space not occupied by Changjo’s. He quite got all of the spaces. It’s good that I didn’t bring all of my clothes with me. It’s not that I’m never coming home. What will I wear when I go home? That’s what I answered to dad when he asked me why I brought few clothes. Well I just brought what I need. I settled my books and my other school supplies. I can see that Changjo already settled his. I wonder when did he arrive here. I went home last Saturday and today’s Sunday. Maybe last Saturday? I didn’t know he will also live here. Dad haven’t mentioned about him. Not that I don’t like him being here. I don’t have the right to complain and I’m not complaining.

 

It took me an hour I guess before I finished settling my things. I’m glad everything’s settled. I went outside and to the living room. L. Joe is watching TV and Changjo is nowhere to be seen.

 

“Where’s Changjo?” I asked L. Joe.

“In the kitchen.” He said not moving his eyes away from the screen. He’s watching a movie, Furious 6.

“You haven’t watched that yet? Just now?” I asked him. I’ve already watched that for like how many times. I really like the movie.

“I have. I just like the movie.” He said and he’s now looking at me.

“Really? Same here.” I exclaimed.

“You do?”

“Yeah. I’m a Fast & Furious fan.” I said with enthusiasm.

He chuckled. “Same here.”

“Though, what I really like is the Fast 5.” I said.

“You know what? Same here. And I like the ending part.” He said with a grin on his face.

“Same here.” I exclaimed. Now we’re grinning at each other. Maybe I can ask now about Changjo. “When did Changjo  arrive?” I asked. The grin on his face gone. What’s wrong?

“Last Saturday morning. An hour after you left. It was quite a shock, though.” He said.

“What do you mean?” Is something wrong between the two of them?

“I wasn’t informed about him staying here.” Oh. Was he informed about me staying here?

He looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry. I was well informed about you living here.” He answered my unspoken query. Well, that’s a relief. At least it won’t be awkward between the two of us.

“Dinner is ready.” Changjo said who just emerged from the kitchen.

“Come on, Chunji. Let’s eat.” L. Joe said and turned off the TV.

 

We made our way to the dining table and settled ourselves. I can smell the food Changjo prepared and my stomach rumbles. I’m hungry.

 

Changjo cooked spaghetti. I don’t know what kind but it’s a spaghetti. I took a spoonful and it does taste good. All the more since it’s sweet. I can recall on my first day here when L. Joe told me that he cooks. So L. Joe can cook and Changjo here cooks well. Does that mean I’m the only one here who doesn’t know how to cook?

 

********

 

We finished our dinner silently. Changjo is talking most of the time who’s talking to L. Joe about things but L. Joe looks like he’s not really interested to Changjo’s so Changjo just shut his mouth and finished his food. As to me, I was just eating the whole time. I was about to clean the dishes when L. Joe insisted to do it himself so I let him. He’s really a gentleman. Or maybe he’s just being nice? Which is which, I just shrugged.

 

********

 

I took a bath and pulled off my shirt and pajamas and off to bed. Not long after when Changjo emerged in the room. He did his thing, whatever it is, and I just did mine which is scroll my phone. I took my earphones and listened to the songs in my phone and lessened the volume. In case Changjo will say something then I won’t be able to hear it, that’s why. Speaking of, I think I heard him murmur something.

 

“You said something?” I asked and removed the earphone on my right.

“I asked if you also go to SNU.” He said.

“Yeah. You also?” I asked.

“Yes. Business Administration. 3rd year.”

“Wow. I’m also in my 3rd year. Accountancy.” I said.

“Same with Byunghun, huh?”

“Yes.”

“I’m a Choi. Choi Jonghyun. My mother is the Lee.” He said.

“Jonghyun? I thought Changjo is your real name.” I laughed.

“Really?  Well you can call me either of the two. But most people call me Changjo, so it’s up to you.”

“I’ll go with Changjo.” I said and he smiled.

 

We’re all cousins here though Changjo and L. Joe are the ones who’s really related since L. Joe’s father and Changjo’s mother are siblings so they’re first cousins. My dad is their parents’ first cousin since my grandpa which is Dad’s father and L. Joe and Changjo’s parents’s father which is their grandfather are siblings. So that leaves me on the second.

 

I lied on my front and continued to listen on my playlists when the door opened. It’s L. Joe.

 

“Where’s Changjo?” he asked. I my back and faced him.

“In the bathroom.”

“Ah. Just want to say goodnight.” He said.

“Goodnight.” I smiled and he closed the door. I lied on my front and continued listening to my playlists. Not long after when Changjo emerged.

“Byunghun was here?” he asked.

“Yes. He just said goodnight.” I said to him and he smirks. What’s with the smirk?

 

I glanced at my phone, I saw the time and it’s quarter to 10. It’s still early for me but because of the tiring day I’m now sleepy. Not long after, I drift.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

A/N

Because I love my readers... here’s the 5th chapter. ^___^

 

D x