HELLO

The Tragic Flaw

HELLO

 

I woke up at the sound of my alarm ringing. It’s 6:30 in the morning. I got out of bed and jumps in the shower. After my quick shower, I took my clothes and wore it. I’m on my jeans, sweatshirt and my sneakers. I looked at the man in the mirror and gave him a smile of satisfaction. I look presentable. I took my folder with my school papers in it and my bag and went outside my room. Today is the enrolment day, my first day at SNU. I made my way to the kitchen and grab some breakfast. I wonder what is Byunghun doing. Is he up already? Or maybe he already went to school? No way. I don’t know where SNU is. I wonder what time did he went home last night. It’s 7 in the morning. Maybe he’s still asleep. I grab some sandwich and orange juice. I’ve been eating sandwiches since yesterday. I hope it’s still healthy. I was about to take a mouthful of my sandwich when a man in his black denim jeans paired with black denim polo shirt with sleeves rolled up, two buttons of his polo shirt undone. He opened the fridge and took his glass of orange juice.

 

“Hey. Good morning.” He said as he took a sip on his glass.

“Good morning. Sandwich?” I said and offered him the other sandwich I prepared.

“Thanks.” And he took a mouthful of it. I hope he liked it. But base on his reaction, I assume he does.

“You think I’ll be able to finish the enrolment process today?” I asked him. I hope I will.

“You’re a transferee, I don’t think so. But if there’ll be few number of enrollees today then I guess you will. And besides, today’s Friday.”

“Are you enrolled already?”

“Not yet. Just the scheduling part and I’m done.” I want to pout at his statement. I envy him. I finished my breakfast and so with him. He took our glasses and placed it in the sink. “Let’s go.” He said and I followed. As we make our way to the elevator, I can’t help but think of Busan. If I were still there and didn’t transfer here, I bet I am enrolled already. I bet what I’m doing now is just spend time with my bestfriend Ricky. How I wish I’m still in Busan. The sound of the elevator doors open as it halted woke me out of my reverie. We’re at the first floor now. We made our way outside the building and was met by the guy from yesterday with the red car beside him.

 

“Good morning, sir.” He greeted Byunghun. He looked at me and smiled as I did the same. He looked back at Byunghun and gave him a key. His car key I assume. Byunghun made his way inside the car and so do I. He started the engine and off we go.

 

“So what’s the name of our building?” I asked as I looked back at the building we came from but I can no longer see it.

“Belle Maison.” He murmurs as he concentrates on his driving.

“Beautiful house.” I murmur as I looked at the establishments we passed by. This city is really nice. No wonder it’s the capital of the country.

“You know French?” he asked. I looked at him and smiled.

“It’s just a wild guess. The meaning is pretty obvious. Was I right?”

“That’s what it means.” He said and focused on the road once again. Well, that’s what I thought.

“So, how far is SNU from our place?” I asked.

“Around 15 minutes and we’re at school.” He murmurs.

 

Not long after, I can sense that we already arrived at our destination. “We’re here.” He said and that statement of him is my confirmation. He parked his car and made our way off the car. So this is SNU? Wow. No wonder it’s one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Aside from the quality of education, the school itself speaks for the why.

 

“Let’s go.” Byunghun said and I followed him.

“I assume we’re going to the registrar’s office?” I asked what I assume the obvious.

“Yeah.” And we continued our pace. As we go on, I can’t help but look at the people who are looking at us as we pass by. They will look at us and smile. Some just looks and the others even giggle. What’s wrong? We bumped into some group of girls and as we passed them, I heard them squeal. I looked back at them and they squealed again. Seriously? What’s going on? And as we bumped into another group of girls, I finally had the inkling what’s the matter all about. I just looked into the man before me  and smirk. So what is he here? A heartthrob? I can see why.

 

“We’re here.” He said as we stopped in front of the door labeled registrar’s office. “I’m sorry I can’t accompany you the whole day. I still have to work on the schedule of my subjects and the rest of the whole enrolment process. Will you be alright?”

“Yeah. I’m good. Thank you.”

“Okay, if you need anything just give me a ring.”

“Will do. Thanks.”

“Sure thing. Bye.” He said and left. Okay, to the registrar’s office. I made my way inside and to the information desk. A woman in her mid thirties greeted me as I approached her.

“Good morning, sir. How may I help you?” she said politely.

“Good morning, ma’am. I’m a transferee.” I said and I guess she already know what I’m going to ask so she gave me an instructional form of the whole enrolment process.

“This is the list of what you’re gonna need.” She gave me a small paper with the list of the forms I have to submit. Fortunately, I have all of it. I hope it will make the whole process quick.

“I have everything you need, ma’am.” I said and gave him my envelope with my papers in it.

“Well, that’s good. I assume you’ve had it photocopied?”

“Yes ma’am.” I can say that I have everything prepared. Like I said, I want this to be quick. “But ma’am, do I still have to take an entrance exam?” I asked.

“To complete the requirements, yes.” She smiled. She’s really polite. I hope all information desk officers are like her. I remember one of her kind in my previous school. I want to roll my eyes at the memory, I hope that old woman will get fired. She needs a replacement. She’s not doing her job well.

“Where will I have to take the exam, ma’am?” She’s very pleasing, to return the favor is what she deserve.

“You go to the admission office. Just walk along the hallway and when you reach the last door of this floor then you’re on the right place.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” I said and made my way outside.

 

I asked for information when I reached the admission office and they gave me instructions. I have to take the exam for one hour and they said it won’t take long and I’ll have the results. I made my way inside the room where I’ll be taking my exam and the woman in charge gave me the instructional materials and set the time. Alright, good luck to me.

 

I finished the exam before the allotted time. It’s not that easy though but I’m still confident. Now I’m at the waiting area waiting for my test results. Suddenly, my phone beeped. It’s Ricky, I got a text from him.

 

From: Yoo Changhyun

Hey. Where are you?

 

I replied.

 

To: Yoo Changhyun

Where are you?

 

From: Yoo Changhyun

You replied! Thank heavens. At the house.  Where are you?

 

P.S. don’t answer a question with another question. :P

 

To: Yoo Changhyun

Did you just sticked your tongue out on me? I’m at school. Admission office.

 

I was expecting for a reply but my phone rings. It’s Ricky, he’s calling.

 

“Hey.”

[Hey your face. Where have you been? You we’re not answering my calls nor texting me back. What are you doing in the admission office? Did you receive my e-mail the other day? I sent you my subject schedule. You have to enroll the same subjects with the same schedule, alright? You have to. We have to be classmates.] Then I felt guilty. He still doesn’t know I transferred. Oh my poor friend, how will I tell him?

“Yeah I received the e-mail. Thanks.”

[You still didn’t answer my questions.]

“I was busy, I’m sorry. I did something here in the office, that’s why.”

[You sound odd. Are you okay?]

“Yes. I am. Thanks.”

[Fine. Just finish that thing and make sure to enroll those subjects I had before it’ll get closed.]

“Will do.”

[Okay, bye.]

“Bye.” And he hangs up. I feel sad for him. I feel sad for myself. Will I ever find a friend like him here? I hope so. But, I doubt it.

 

The woman a while ago emerged and gave me my test results. I thanked her and made my way outside the admission office. I opened the paper and saw the result and smiled. I got a satisfying score. I’m proud. I emerged inside the registrar’s office and gave the woman my test results. She took a peek at my score and gave me a proud smile. “I thought so.” She said and collected my requirements. “Alright, I’ll give this to the registrar to credit your subjects. Just come back here later this afternoon at around 2 o’clock. I hope that’s okay?” she asked. “Sure.” I said and returned her warm smile. No it’s not okay. How will I be able to finish the enrolment today?

 

I walked around the school campus searching for the cafeteria. I have to grab my lunch. Where’s Byunghun? Shouldn’t we be eating together? He’s the only one I know here. Should I text him? He said I call him if I need anything, right? Alright, I should call him. I need to know where the cafeteria is. I dialed his number but he’s not answering his phone. Maybe he’s busy? I continued my search and still can’t find where it is so I finally decided to ask some random person. I’m sure it won’t hurt.

 

“Excuse me. Do you know where the cafeteria is?” I asked the first person I saw. He stared at me for a few seconds before he finally spoke.

“You’re new here?” he asked.

“Yes.” Will I be asking if I’ve been here already?

“I’ll show you the way.” He offered. How kind of him.

“Really? Thanks.” And we walked. I just follow where he goes though we’re walking side by side. This is one of the perks of being a stranger I guess. You keep on following where people will lead you.

 

We reached the cafeteria which is not far from the building we came from. We went inside and looked for a table. I settled my bag and decided to order some food when I realized that I have a company.

 

“Hey. Thank you so much for showing me here. That’s very kind of you.” I said.

“The pleasure is mine.” He murmurs.

“I’ll go get some food. You want to grab some?”

“Can I join you for lunch?” he asked with optimism evident on his face.

“Ofcourse.” I said and smiled at him.

 

We ordered pasta and soda and settled ourselves.

 

“So you’re new here. Transferee I suppose?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m from Busan. You?”

“It’s my 3rd year here.”

“That’s great. What course?” I asked.

“I’m taking up BS in Business Administration. How about you?”

“BS in Accountancy. 3rd year.”

“Wow, that’s nice.”

“So do you.”

 

We finished our lunch and decided to part ways since I have to be back at the admission office. I was about to walk away when he grabbed my arm and smiled at me.

 

“Do you mind if I ask your name?” he asked smiling.

Oh. I didn’t notice we haven’t had a formal introduction. “My name is Lee Chanhee.” I introduced.

He kept his smile and spoke. “Bang Minsoo.” He introduced.

“Nice to meet you Minsoo.”

“Same here. Till next time.” He said and I just returned his smile and made my way.

 

I went back to the admission office and took my forms. I went to the Accountancy department and took my class schedules. When I finished, I went to the business office for the payments and I’m through. Thank God. I can go home now. I decided to give Byunghun a call to inform him I’m finished but still not answering his phone. I should go home then.

 

I rode in a taxi and told the driver my destination.

 

“To Belle Maison, mister.”

He looked at me amused. “Okay, sir.” And off we go.

 

On my way I gave my old man a call to inform him I already got enrolled. He picked up the call on the second ring. Maybe he was waiting for my call.

“Hi dad.”

[Son! How are you? I was waiting for your call.] he said enthusiastically.

“I can sense. I’m enrolled already.” I said not taking off my grin.

[That’s good. So when are you going home to pick up your things?]

“Tomorrow. First thing in the morning.”

[Okay. Good.]

“Alright, bye dad.”

[Bye, son.] I waited for him to hang up and he did. It’s not my habit to hang up first.

 

 

We arrived at the hotel and I paid the cab fare. I made my way inside and into the elevator. I pressed the 21st floor and the elevator smoothly made its way up and when it halts, the elevator doors opened and I got out. I looked for the door labeled 21-8 and there I found it. I grinned from ear to ear because of my joy that I’m finished with the enrolment and I arrived here safely when I realized that I don’t have a key. I realized that the key inside is a passcode. I don’t know what the passcode is. And my grin is gone. I dialed Byunghun’s number. Please answer the phone. Please. But I got no answer. Seriously? And he told me to give him a call when I need him? I pressed the doorbell and waited for it to open. Maybe he’s home already and he’s asleep? God. I continued to dial his number and ringed the doorbell when it opened, finally. I was expecting for a handsome fashionista to welcome me but instead, a tall young brunette gazed at me confused. I looked at the label at the door to see if I’m in a wrong doorstep but the number is 21-8. I’m on the right door. I looked at him confused but still didn’t say anything. There are footsteps I heard and Byunghun appeared.

 

“Chanhee.” He said. “You’re home.” He continued. I just looked at him and at the brunette  who’s still gazing at me and after a while smiled and opened the door wide. “Come in.” Byunghun offered.

 

I went inside and made our way to the living area. I still have no idea who’s this brunette guy. I went to the kitchen to grab some water and the two of them emerged.

 

“Chanhee. This is my friend Ahn Daniel.” Byunghun introduced and the brunette offered a shake hands. “Daniel, this is my cousin, Chanhee.” He continued and I offered my hand to greet Daniel.

“I go by Niel.” Daniel said.

“I go by Chunji.” I said. I saw Byunghun mouthed my name. Yeah, Chunji.

“We’re cooking.” Niel said. I can sense the air is quite awkward. “For our dinner.” He continued.

“Do you like fried chickens?” Byunghun asked.

“It’s okay.” I replied. Chickens are not my favorite.

“Niel here love them.” Byunghun said smiling at Niel and Niel smiled back at him. Okay this is awkward on my part. Should I start a conversation? Nah, nevermind. They continued what they’re doing while conversing while I just remained sitting here at the stool and silently emptied my glass. I think I need more water.

 

“Dinner’s ready.” Niel exclaimed. They prepared the plates and utensils at the table while I just looked at them. It’s not that I don’t want to help. I just don’t have the courage to do so. I’m shy at the moment. I guess I always am.

 

“Chunji, let’s eat.” Said Byunghun. I made my way and settled myself. They kept on talking as we eat. And they continued until we finished our dinner. You don’t join a conversation when you don’t know about the subject, right?

 

I started collecting the dishes to put it to the sink when Byunghun stopped me. “It’s okay Chunji. I can manage that.” He said. Alright. I just made my way to the living area and left them at the kitchen. Not long after when they emerged. Niel took his bag which I didn’t notice placed at the couch near me.

 

“I should go now.” Niel announced. “Bye Chunji. It’s nice to meet you.”

I looked at him and smiled. “Nice to meet you, too. Bye. Take care.”

He turned to Byunghun and smiled. “Bye, L. Joe. See you tomorrow.” L. Joe?

“I’ll lead you to the door.” Byunghun or L. Joe offered. They made their way to the foyer and to the door.

 

L. Joe huh? Cool.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

A/N

 

It’s been what? A month I guess? Sorry for the very late update. Something came up. Anyway, here’s the 3rd chapter. I hope you liked it. Thank you so much for reading this story. You are all loved. ^___^

 

D x