Sherlock Lee

The Tragic Flaw

SHERLOCK LEE

 

There’s something between L. Joe and Niel. I just couldn’t fathom what it is. The way they act with each other, not to mention the skinship. The way L. Joe treats Niel. And, they always stick together. I know it’s very obvious that they’re bestfriends, but, do bestfriends act like that? I mean, I have a bestfriend too, but, I don’t treat him for lunch everyday, I don’t glance at him every now and then, I don’t go out of the classroom during class discussion just because he mentioned that his thirsty and come back with a bottled water with me, and, I don’t put his image on my lockscreen, and neither would Ricky. Ricky and I are bestfriends but we don’t act like that. Their bromance is kind of bothering at some point. Or, maybe I’m just overreacting? I don’t know.

 

It’s lunch time. L. Joe asked me if I want to have lunch with them but I declined. Not that I don’t want to be with them. It’s just that having me around makes me feel like a third wheel and a disturbance with their weird bromance. So I decided to eat lunch alone. I chose a table far from them so they couldn’t see me but enough to see them. I think I’m weird. I don’t want to be with them but I want to see them. Maybe to observe and prove something that’s been running through my mind but just denying the thought of it? I don’t know. I just hope they don’t see me. I don’t want L. Joe to think that I don’t want to be with him.

 

I’m aloof, and introvert. I always want to be alone. I think that’s why I only managed to have one friend. Well, Ricky is enough for me. I don’t need two or more version of him. I silently observe my subject of suspicion when a guy emerged at my table and sat at the chair in front of me. He’s blocking the view! I looked at him with my narrowed eyes and I saw him smiling at me and there, I recognized him. He’s the guy during the enrolment day.

 

“Hi. I hope you don’t mind?” he said.

“Hey. Uhm, no.”

“You’re alone. Doesn’t have any friends yet?”

“Well, you’re here.”

“Well, yeah. I saw you and I thought maybe you want a lunch buddy. Do you?”

“I don’t mind.”

“Sorry, I might have assume things, I think I should go.” He said grabbing his tray and stood up but I stopped him immediately.

“Hey, no.” I said and he sat down.

“Am I bothering you?” he asked. Oh. Me and my behavior.

“No. I would love to eat lunch with you.” I assured.

“So, we’re friends now?” he said with a smile on his face.

“Yeah. We are.” And I smiled back.

 

We finished our lunch silently. That’s maybe because we’re both hungry.

 

“How old are you, Chanhee?” Minsoo asked. We’re still at the cafeteria having some rest. Our food needs to be properly digested.

“22. Why?”

“Oh. You should call me hyung then.”

“Oh. Minsoo hyung.”

“Yeah. Good.” He said not taking away his smile on his face. He’s a good guy. I can sense.

“Hyung, you’re Bus. Ad. student, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you know, Choi Jonghyun? He’s a Bus. Ad. too.”

“Yeah I know him. We’re classmates. Why?”

“So, you know Lee Byunghun?” I asked and he smirked.

“Ofcourse I know. Well, who doesn’t?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Everybody here knows him.”

“Really?” wow. I wonder how, and why.

“Not everyone here swirvs in a Ferrari and lives at Belle Maison. You see, he’s quite popular. And besides, he and Changjo are cousins.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Why do you ask?”

“Nothing.” I shrugged and smiled at him. Now that he knows them, maybe I could ask him about it? I mean, we’re already friends.

“Hey, hyung.” He looked at me and smiled. He smiles all the time. Maybe I should do that too.

“What is it?” he asked.

“What do you think if I have a bestfriend and I put his image on my lockscreen?” he looked at me and and narrowed his eyebrows.

“You like your bestfriend?” he asked.

“So having his image on my lockscreen means that I like him?”

“Well, I don’t see any reason why would you do that.”

“Really?” so L. Joe likes Niel? Wow. This is news.

“You like your bestfriend?”

“No.” I scowl at him.

“Then why would you put his picture on your lockscreen?” he asked, curiousity evident on his face.

“It wasn’t me. Someone just asked me about that.” Yeah, someone who goes by the name Chunji.

“Oh. But you have a bestfriend?”

“Yeah. His name is Ricky.” I exclaimed. He eyed me suspiciously.

“Oh please. Whatever it is you’re thinking, you’re wrong. It really wasn’t me. Look.” I said and showed him my phone.

“Sorry about that.” He apologized.

 

********

 

My class ends at 5:30pm. I went straight home after class. I’m lying on my bed staring at the ceiling while listening to the song playing in my playlists. I my right. Changjo is busy on his phone. I maximized the volume of the music when I noticed that Changjo is looking at my direction. I looked at him but he turned his attention on his phone. I ignored him and scrolled my phone and noticed that he keeps on glancing at my direction. I know he would glance at me again so I looked at him and our gaze met. We just stared at each other for like 10 seconds when he spoke.

 

“Byunghun and Niel, right?” he said and he’s now in sitting position. So it’s also bothering him, huh. I removed my earphones and sat. We’re facing each other.

“What do you mean?” I asked. This is news.

“They’re boyfriends, you know.” He said as a matter of fact. I also thought about that but just ignored the idea.

“Well, I thought they’re just really close ‘cause you know, they’re bestfriends.” Between the two of us here in this room, he’s the one who knows L. Joe better. Maybe he knows something?

“Oh come on. Bestfriends don’t act like that.” Believe me, I also thought about that.

“So you think, they are?” I asked him. I’m really curious about it.

“Byunghun didn’t told me but you know, substance over form.” He said. There, he said it. Well, he’s right. It’s their actions that speak for what it is they have between the two of them. “I’ll ask Byunghun about it.” He continued.

“You would?” I asked surprised at his statement. He really would? I mean, isn’t it awkward? Asking something like that?

“Yeah, to confirm our suspicions. And if it’s true, then he really should stop it.” I looked at him surprised. “You know it’s wrong.” He said. He put his phone on his drawer and lied on his bed. “Turn off the lights before you go to sleep. Goodnight.” He said and I was left here facing his back.

 

I turned off the lights and lied on my bed. Changjo will confront L. Joe about it. If it’s true that L. Joe and Niel are together, isn’t it rude to tell L. Joe to stop whatever it is they have? I really don’t mind about a person’s ual orientation. Everybody has a freedom to do what they want. And if we’re talking about what is right and what is wrong, it just depends on a person’s perception right? It depends on how you define good or bad. What is right for a person might be wrong for the other. If L. Joe is gay, though I never expected him being one, if it’s true then what’s wrong with it? That’s him. That’s what makes him as him. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. I hope their confrontation will go well. And why is Chango calling L. Joe as Byunghun? Where's the hyung?

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

A/N

And that’s the 7th chapter. As you can observe, all of these are in Chunji’s POV and I think it will remain that way until the story ends. Well, let’s just see. My apologies for the irregular update and thank you so much for reading this fic. ^___^

 

D x