Something in between..

The Tragic Flaw

SOMETHING IN BETWEEN

 

I pulled off my white sweatshirt paired with my denim jeans and my Converse. I’m ready for school. My first subject starts at 9am. It’s quarter to 8 so I won’t be late. Changjo is also preparing for school.

 

“What’s your schedule today?” he asked.

“My first subject starts at 9am.”

“Oh. Same here.” He exclaimed. Does this mean that we’ll be going to school together? I hope so. Changjo and I really don’t talk. It’s still awkward between the two of us. We just talk when someone asks something and that’s it. I hope we get close.

 

I emerged into the kitchen and grab my breakfast. There’s fried rice, omelet and hotdogs on the table. Who prepared this? I decided to toast some bread. What if that person just prepared these for himself? It will be a total shame if he saw me having a mouthful of his food. Changjo emerged into the kitchen and sat on the chair.

 

“Hey, let’s eat. I prepared these for us.” Changjo said. Okay then. I settled myself and grab some. Not long after when L. Joe emerged in the room. He’s on his black pants and black leather jacket. He looks like a gangster. A y gangster.

“What time is your first subject?” Changjo asked L. Joe.

“9am.” He answered and took a mouthful of his food. “You?” he asked.

“9am also.” Changjo answered.

“How about you, Chunji?” L. Joe asked.

“9am.” He nods.

 

We finished our breakfast and got out of the apartment. We went inside the elevator, L. Joe pressed the first floor and we bolted. The elevator halted and we went out. As we went out of the building, I saw two cars parked in front of the hotel. One is the red car I know L. Joe owns and there’s another car. Changjo made his way to the car and opened the door to the driver’s seat. “Hop in, Chunji?” He offered. Oh. It’s Changjo’s. L. Joe opened the door of his car’s shotgun seat and looked at Changjo. “He’s with me.” L. Joe said. Oh. Okay. I nod at Changjo  and I hopped in. L. Joe started the engine and off we go.

 

********

 

We arrived at school. L. Joe parked his car and together we went to our department building since we have the same course. My first subject is Financial Management. My room is on the 3rd floor of the building. L. Joe’s first subject is Advanced Accounting. Before we parted ways, he said something to me. “You look for friends. Be friendly as much as possible. In that way, you’ll survive. And don’t ever starve yourself. If you need anything, just call me. Okay?” I just nod and smiled at him and we parted ways.

 

I looked for my room and when I found it, I went inside and decided to take the vacant seat at the back. My classmates started emerging in the classroom. It’s 15 minutes before the class starts. I took my phone to check if there are texts or missed calls and there is. There’s a message from my dad.

 

From: Dad

Good luck with your first day, son. Fighting!

 

I smiled at his text. There’s also one from Ricky.

 

From: Yoo Changhyun

Make friends. :)

 

Okay fine, I’ll do my best.

 

They expect me to have friends on the first day. Is that even possible? Students are now settling their selves on their seats. No one is even bothering to seat beside me. And they expect me to make friends at this situation? Aigoo. The bell rang signaling for the class to start. Luckily, a girl sat on the seat at my right. Now I have a seatmate. I glanced at her and she’s scrolling her phone. If she will look at me, I’ll say hi to her so we’ll be friends, right? I keep on glancing at her but she’s not even looking here. Fine. I just focused my attention to no one. Our professor entered the classroom and our class begins.

 

********

 

My second subject is Taxation. My classroom is just beside my room in FinMan so it’s good. I won’t have to walk long. I entered the classroom and saw two familiar faces inside. I made my way to their seats and greeted them.

 

“L. Joe.” I exclaimed.

“Chunji. Taxation?” he asked.

“Yes. We’re classmates?” I asked.

“Yes.” I looked at the brunette beside him and smiled.

“You seat here.” Niel offered. He motioned at the seat beside him.

“Thanks.” I said.

 

The students started emerging inside the classroom and not long after, so with our professor. Our teacher is Prof. Lee. He’s a CPA and chose to work in the academe. He started the introductory part of the subject. I listened to him with enthusiasm.

 

The discussion continues when I noticed something. I can sense it through my peripheral vision and to confirm my thought, I glanced at my right and there, I saw L. Joe looking at Niel. I don’t know if looking is the right term. He noticed me looking at him so he turned his attention at the front. What was that about? I just shrugged and focused on the discussion.

 

********

 

My third subject is Cost Accounting and Cost Management. My room is still in the 3rd floor of this building so I’m glad. I searched for my classroom and I found it. I made my way inside and looked for a nice seat. Again, it’s located at the back. I settled my things and took my book out of my bag. There are still few students in the classroom. Others I think are still on their way here. When I glanced at the door, I saw someone and when our gaze met, he smiled and made his way to me.

 

“Hey.” I greeted.

“We’re classmates again, huh?” I grinned.

“It would appear so.” He smiled. He took the seat beside me.

“Where’s Niel?” I asked. I think I saw a glint of excitement on his face when I said the last word.

“It’s his FinMan. He’s at the second floor.” He exclaimed.

“Oh, I see.” It’s good that we’re classmates, and seatmates to be exact. This way we’ll get closer to each other. We seldom talk at the house because he’s always on his own. And, I think so am I. So to start a conversation, I asked him. “Hey, what did you mean earlier when you said make friends in order to survive.

“Oh, that. Well, just in case you missed the class and you have homeworks to do. At least you have someone to ask, right?” Oh yeah. Why didn’t I think of that? “So, did you make one?” he asked.

I smiled. “No.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll make one, soon.” He assured. I hope so.

 

Our professor entered the classroom and introduced himself. Another CPA who chose the academe. He’s Professor Park. He’s on his thirties. He looks smart on his eyeglasses and he didn’t bring a book with him. Does this mean we won’t have a formal discussion?

 

He introduced the subject, its importance and how is it different with the other accounting subjects. He told us to enjoy and love the subject so that it won’t be that difficult for us. Well, that’s what I’ve been doing for the last two years but I still find accounting difficult. Well, what’s not difficult? Every major subject is intended to be difficult, right?

 

I glanced at the person beside me and saw that he’s not paying attention to our professor. He’s on his phone. I looked around the classroom and all of my classmates’ attentions are on Prof. Park. I glanced back at him and he’s still on his phone. I looked at Prof. Park and his attention is darted on L. Joe.

 

“Okay, Mr. Lee Byunghun, can you please tell me something about Cost accounting and Cost management?” Oh no. He looked at Prof. Park and smirked. He put his phone on his desk. The attention is on him.

“It’s for decision-making, sir.” He answered.

“Will you please elaborate? Please stand up” said Prof. Park. L. Joe stood up and answered. I listened to him as he answers the question he was asked and nod as I agree on his statement. He continues to speak when his phone beeped. I glanced at his phone and looked back at him when I noticed something. His phone beeped again and my eyes darted on the image in his lockscreen. I can’t be mistaken. It’s Niel.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

A/N

“You should check your girl’s phone, it’s my face on the frame.” – G-Dragon, The Leaders

 

It’s Niel’s face on L. Joe’s frame. What would that entail? ^___^

thank you sooo much to ANGEL110 for the graphics. :)

D x