Prologue

The Tragic Flaw

 

PROLOGUE

 

 

I stepped outside the bus and dropped by in the nearest café I saw. I’m starving. The long ride from Busan to Seoul is really tiring. I ordered a chocolate drink and a sandwich. This will do. I took my phone from my bag pack and looked if someone texted or gave a ring but there’s none. Why is he not texting me back? I badly need his reply right now. I was about to take my second bite on my sandwich when my phone beeped. It’s him. At last, he replied.

 

From: Lee Byunghun

Where are you now? Did you arrive safely?

 

Where am I? I looked around the place and saw the logo on the wall near the counter. I texted him back.

 

To: Lee Byunghun

I’m here at the Angel café near the bus station. Where are you now?

 

And I hit send. It took 5 minutes before he replied.

 

From: Lee Byunghun

I’m on my way.

 

 

Seoul is a nice city. You would really feel the presence of industrialization. From the cars to the establishments. Just look everywhere and you’ll see the presence of the modern world. I’m from Busan. I lived there since I was a kid until a while ago because this city is my new place now. The place where I would spend my last 2 years in college until I graduate. I’m in 3rd year college now taking BS in Accountacy. And from Busan University, I will be transferring to one of the prestigious schools in South Korea, the Seoul National University. It’s not my own decision to move here. It’s my dad’s. He said he wants me to study in a school where I can assure that I’ll have a better future, and that is SNU. What a false argument. But I can’t blame my dad. I know he just wants what’s best for me. And besides, he’s the one who matriculates for me. So I was left with no choice. As much as I want to spend the rest of my college days in Busan and be with my friends, I can’t. This is where I belong now. And my journey starts today.

 

My phone rings. It’s Byunghun calling.

 

“Where are you now?” he said as I received the call. Tss. Phone calls should start with hello. Doesn’t he know that? Psh.

“I’m in Angel café. In the table near the glass window.” He doesn’t reply so I look around to see him. I know what he looks like. I often see him in occasions like birthday parties and reunions. I looked around but didn’t see him. “Byunghun? Where are you?” I asked again and there, I saw him. Wearing his ripped jeans and a white polo shirt with sleeves rolled up on his elbows. There’s one word to describe him. Fashionista. I suddenly felt envious. I’m just in my sneakers and white tees paired with blue denim jeans. He looked around the café and he spotted me.

“Chanhee?” he asked looking at me.

“Yes. Byunghun?”

“Yeah.” And he ended the call. I stood up as he suavely made his way to me.

“Sorry for making you wait. Is this your luggage?” he asked as he points at my bag. I only brought one bag and a bag pack good for one week. Since it’s still an enrolment week I just brought few clothes. I’ll get all of my things in Busan when I finally got enrolled.

“Yeah.” I said.

“Okay.”

“Hey it’s okay. I can manage.” I said as he was about to carry my luggage. Gentleman huh? But no thanks, I’m a guy. I can carry my own bag.

“Okay. Let’s go?”

“After you.”

 

 

I just followed him as he made his way outside and into the luxurious red Ferrari. I smirked at the sight. Rich kid. He made his way to the other side of the car and opened the door for me. Really? I just made my way inside. I placed my bag under and my bag pack on my lap as he made his way inside. He started the engine and off we go.

 

 

“So you’re alone in the house?” I asked to start a conversation.

“Yeah.” He said without looking at me. His focus on the road.

“So you know how to cook and do the laundry?” I asked for conversation’s sake. I know he does. It’s pretty obvious since he lives alone.

“Yeah. Why?”

“I don’t know how to cook.”

“Really? Even instant noodles?” he glanced at me and I saw his amused face.

“Of course I know. Just the heavy ones I don’t.”

“I see.” And he kept his focus on the road. I guess that ends our conversation. He’s not much of a talker I observed. Well, so do I.

 

 

From the main road, we turned to the right side and not so long after, we stopped. I guess this is our final destination. We stopped in front of a building I assume a hotel. He got out of the car and I followed suit. A man in his black suit approached us and bowed. He gave him his key and walked to the entrance of the hotel. That’s it. He didn’t greet the man nor bowed in return. I guess the man was a valet? But he looks like a personal bodyguard in his black suit. So this is the place? I thought it’s an apartment.

 

We went inside and made our way to the elevator. Well I just follow where he goes. I’m new here after all. He pressed 21 and we bolted up. Top floor? The elevator pings and we moved out. I follow him as he walks and stopped at the door no. 21-8 and typed a code. 21st  floor, room no. 21-8. I have to keep that in mind. He opened the door and my jaw dropped. This is not just a room. It’s an apartment. No, a flat? A bachelor’s pad? A house? I don’t know. What welcomes us is a wall with a large abstract painting. And along the walls are other abstract paintings too. We walked to the hallway and greeted by a modernized living room. Then there’s the kitchen on the side and a bar. The place is great. From the interior designs, to the furniture. Everything speaks wealth. It’s not just an apartment. It’s a condo unit. An expensive condo unit. Or a pension house maybe? I have no idea.

 

“My place. This way.” He said and I followed him. There is a stair that leads to I presume the bedrooms. But, we didn’t go there. He leads me to the door near the stairs.

“This will be your room. Mine’s upstairs.” He opened the door for me and allowed me to get in. I dropped my luggage and looked around. There’s one bed, a study table and a door which I presume the bathroom.

“If you need anything just tell me. There are foods in the fridge if you’re hungry. Make yourself at home. It’s your home now after all.”

“Thanks.” I said and then he closed the door and left. I already like the place. I can live here. I just hope me and Byunghun will get along since we will be living together. And besides, we’re cousins after all.

 

********

 

 

A/N

And that's the prologue! ^^

For the readers, if ever I have one, thank you so much. I would love to know your thoughts about this. You are all loved. ^^

 

D x