Eight

Black Leather Jacket


Tao waited outside a building labeled "Stage 5" as Director Lay and Kris were inside discussing some kind of sudden emergency with the set up for the next romance scene. Being an outsider, Tao wasn't supposed to know too much about the movie yet. He understood and happily waited outside. He even had a pretty little park bench to sit on. Finally he wasn't blushing so furiously any more, which he was more than thankful for. 


As he was waiting patiently for Kris' return, a very confused looking girl with heavy makeup and long dirty blonde hair approached Tao. "Who the hell do you think you are, wearing Wu Yi Fan's jacket?!" She exploded. Tao just blinked. Was she yelling at him?


"Excuse me?" He asked. 


"Who are you?" She asked impatiently. 


"Uh, well I'm Tao. And you are?"


"Kiki, an extra in this movie. You still haven't answered my question!" 


"The coat?" Tao asked stupidly. "Um... Kris leant it to me because I was cold..."


The girl gasped, horrified. "I can't believe he would lend his beloved Gucci jacket out to some poor, lowlife, gutter-kid like you!" 


Beyond confused and getting pretty pissed off, but still maintaining his cool, Tao asked, "Why are you so concerned anyway?!"


"Are you an idiot?!" She snapped coldly, icy glare piercing Tao. "You're wearing my boyfriend's favorite jacket!"


By the time Tao made out the word, "B-boyfriend?!" The girl had already gone into the building in search of Kris. 


Tao was stunned. It's impossible, right? Of course that girl wasn't actually Kris' girlfriend! Kris liked Tao, not her. He'd even confessed this morning. He'd even gotten hard over Tao this morning! Well, it could've really been over her instead... but then why would he lie? After everything that's happened between them so far, there's no way Kris would've lied about his feelings for Tao. Obviously there's no way he actually has feelings for someone else. Kris had saved Tao! He'd come all the way to Tao's apartment in the pouring rain just to check on him. They'd talked for hours and shared a bed. Kris comforted Tao when he was scared. Tao told him his secret. Obviously this girl was only a fan of Kris and was acting like they were dating. Obviously she wanted people to think she was with Kris. 


Tao sighed with relief. He better go clear things up with her and Kris just in case there were any real misunderstandings. Tao rounded the corner of the building and opened the door. He stepped inside. 


Inside was a confusing mess of cameras and lights and props. On the left was a salon-like area with large mirrors and counters covered in beauty products, which Tao assumed was meant for hair and makeup touch-ups. To the right was a big screen separating the set from the doorway, so Tao couldn't really see much. He could hear Kris's voice conversing lightly with the director. Tao shuffled to the end of the screen and peeked around hesitantly, not knowing if he'd get in trouble for being in there or not. He was specifically told to wait outside after all. 


From where Tao stood, to the left were all the cameras set up but no one working them. To the right was the actual set, which looked like a real living room of a house. Along the wall to the very far right was a hallway leading to what Tao assumed was a break room/lounge area of sorts. Kris was sitting casually on the living room couch. Director Lay stood beside him, bent over, showing him a piece of paper. They pointed to it occasionally and nodded. "So this is part is good?" Kris asked. 


"Yep; here, here, and here. Okay then, I'll go make the changes. Be right back."


Before Director Lay had time to leave, that girl emerged from the hallway. Tao ducked back further. Both the guys turned to look at her. The director bowed then walked away to do a thing. Kris smiled widely. He stood from the couch and threw an arm around the girl as soon as she was close enough. Tao's eyes widened from where he was hiding. 


"Hey beautiful," Kris greeted the girl, voice as low and pretty as when he talked privately with Tao, "it's been a while hasn't it. I've missed you too much." He leaned down and easily kissed her right on the lips as if it were a casual thing. Tao's breath caught in his throat. Suddenly it really hurt to breath. 


Kiki's face became concerned. She spoke, voice laced with both curiosity and disgust. "Baby, what's going on between you and that guy?" 


Tao was entirely immersed in the conversation. He listened intently. Kris laughed lightheartedly at the girl's question. What's that supposed to mean?! Tao's heart began pounding harder and harder. 


"The guy I was with? He's nothing real special or anything, we were just hanging out," Kris explained casually, "he's got nothing to do with you. Of course, you're the only person I really love."


Tao's legs went weak. He's kidding, right?! Faster and faster his heart thumped painfully. A lump formed in his throat and suddenly it was hard to breath at all. It were as if Tao was being strangled. He continued to listen. It's impossible, right?! Kris loved him! He truly did.


"You mean that? Honestly?" She asked Kris, eyes wide and hopeful. 


"I would never lie to you." Kris wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. "I can't stay too long though, baby. My friend is waiting outside and I told him I'd be quick."


That's all Tao could stand. He really couldn't hold it in any longer. He needed to go. Anywhere. Just go. Now. He was careful not to trip as he escaped the building. Over and over the words pounded through his otherwise clouded head. Go. Now. Run. Run away. Run as fast as you possibly can. Get away now. Go.


~~~ ~~~ ~~~


Kris returned nearly ten minutes later. "So sorry that took so long!" He apologized, rounding the corner of the building. To his surprise, Tao was missing. The only thing left on the park bench was his own black leather jacket. He picked it up and looked around. Tao was no where in sight. "What the..."


~~~ ~~~ ~~~


Tears poured down Tao's face as he sprinted aimlessly through the streets of this foreign city. He had no clue where he was or where he was going but just needed to get away. He needed to escape. His lungs and throat burned from running. His head was dizzy and he could hardly breath. His attempts to inhale were only rapid strangled gasps. His legs were beyond pain. They shook violently with each step. Aching but numb, threatening to give up completely, sending Tao falling to the ground. 


Tao pushed on, never giving in to his body's weak and pathetic need to stop. Who cares if his muscles gave out and could no longer hold him? Who cares if his lungs burst or his throat becomes too swollen to breathe from at all? Who cares if Tao collapses on the pavement and never recovers? Certainly not Taeyang or his parents. Certainly not Kris. And Tao? It's not like he cares any more. Somehow, that's exactly what he wants to happen. No more pain. No more lies. 


Tao knew he couldn't stay out on the street any longer. His head was spinning and his vision was beginning to darken. He could no longer even feel his body, like he was only still moving on autopilot. All he knew was that it hurts. It hurts so bad. No matter what he told himself he knew something was about to happen. He couldn't stay out there.


Tao luckily came upon an empty alleyway. Hidden behind two dumpster bins in the abandoned alley, Tao crashed against the brick wall and desperately gasped for oxygen. His body quivered and wobbled. His cheeks were still streaked wet and his eyes were opened as widely as humanly possible as he attempted in air. Though his eyes were wide, his vision was clouded in black. Ragged, chocked gasps left his swollen throat. He just wanted it to all end. Why couldn't someone run up and stab him? Why can't he escape this?


Tao swayed back and forth. His head was spinning. His blurred vision darkened even further. He could hardly see anything. He didn't care. He could no longer focus on anything besides the task of getting oxygen into his system. Tao collapsed to his hands and knees. His mouth got all watery and he drooled on the concrete as he hacked and coughed loudly. His stomach contracted roughly and soon he was gagging a chunky and watery mixture out all over the ground. He sputtered out the stuff until he was dry heaving, body shaking wildly. 


Tao sat down and held his pounding head in his hands. He continued gasping and coughing. He waited to be taken by the peaceful serenity of unconsciousness. He assured himself over and over, it'll be over soon. I'll either pass out or die, and it will no longer be painful. I won't even know how much I'm hurting.


It never came. The gasps continued. He continued panting and wheezing for what felt like hours. His body was so weak. He couldn't move. His entire existence was pointless. Useless. Worthless. No one even cared enough to grant him the desire of death. He deserved the pain.


The hurting in his body was nothing at all compared to that in his heart. Why did everybody always leave him? Why did everyone always lie? Why was he such an idiot? Why did he have to be so stupid as to actually fall for an like Kris? A total stranger? Didn't Tao know that he would only be hurt in the end? Or maybe he did know this would happen. Maybe he just wanted to pretend that it wouldn't.

By now, Tao was only panting normally. He was exhausted. He sighed deeply. He sat against the wall, holding his head in his hands. His fistfuls of hair tightened. His jaw tightened as he clamped his teeth together. Tao sniffled then inhaled a sharp, quivering breath. Tears once again began leaking from his eyes. He still smelt like that damn jacket. Like Kris. Tao curled into a ball and buried his face in his hands. He sobbed against his palms. Why did the world have to be this way? Why was everybody so mean? Why did no one honestly love him? Why did they all lie? Was there anyone on the planet at all that didn't desire hurting others? Was everyone this way? It sure seemed that way. Everyone Tao loves finds pleasure in seeing him devastated. Human beings are sick. 

Tao cried to himself for a few more minutes. He wasn't even that upset any more. He wasn't angry or frustrated of devastated. He was too drained to feel anything. He was just entirely empty. He felt hallow inside, like he was only a shell anymore. Stone cold. Inhuman. He didn't even know why he was mad at Kris. He didn't care any more. He didn't care at all. That was the scariest part.


His head was beginning to really hurt. Eventually he tiredly pulled out his cellphone. His eyes widened. Six new calls. Eight new texts; all from ..."HottieFanFan". Is that seriously what Kris made his contact as when they exchanged numbers?! What a dork. Tao grinned unconsciously. He realized what he was smiling about then immediately his heart felt cold and dead again. The time was 3:10pm. He decided to check the texts. 


>>HottieFanFan 
1:04pm
Tao, it's Kris. Where'd you go? Everybody on the set is looking for you but no one knows where you are. Are you even here anymore?!


>>HottieFanFan
1:17pm
Tao, seriously, where'd you go? If it was an emergency that you had to leave you could at least call. Why didn't you keep my jacket with you? I wouldn't mind! You must be cold~


Now that he mentioned it, Tao really was freezing. 


>>HottieFanFan

1:29pm

Sweet bby Taozi I miss you, please come back!


"Tch, shut up, Kris," Tao muttered under his nearly visible breath. 


>>HottieFanFan 

1:49pm
Seriously please answer this isn't funny 


>>HottieFanFan 
1:49pm
Did I say something wrong? If I did im so sorry I never meant to hurt your feelings! Are you ignoring me? I don't want you to be mad...


>>HottieFanFan 
2:13pm
Are you okay Tao? Im really really getting worried


>>HottieFanFan 
2:17pm
I just got to your apartment but you arent here. Tao im scared please call I really need to know that you're ok


>>HottieFanFan 
2:48pm
You disappeared without a trace and Im calling everyone but no one's seen you at all, if you dont text back within a few minutes im calling the cops 


As if on que, a brand new text popped up right then. 


>>HottieFanFan 
Now:
I'm not kidding here Tao you have 1minute i swear to god


Tao's eyes doubled in size. He quickly opened his keyboard and texted. 


>>You
3:10pm
im fine so don't call the cops


A message popped up almost instantly. 


>>HottieFanFan 
3:10pm
Tao!! I'm so glad you're okay!!! I'm going to call you now, i know it hasn't been long but I want to hear your voice! Whats going on?! Where are you?? 


>>You
3:11pm
it dosnt matter im fine so stop texting me plz


>>HottieFanFan 

3:11pm
What do you mean it doesnt matter?! Of course it does i'm worried!


>>You
3:11pm
kris. its pointless. you need to stop concerning yourself with me. i told you im fine, stop worrying and move on


>>FanFan 
1:39pm
Stop worrying about you? I cant do that Tao


>>You
1:39pm
Why not


Tao's teeth were chattering quietly and clicking like long fingernails quickly tapping against a countertop. The cold air wrapped itself around Tao's body and soaked in. He shivered. Goosebumps speckled his arms. The very core of his body was no longer warm and cozy. Tao's spine was now a frozen solid icicle and flaky crystals frosted his organs. His body physically shook from a particularly rough shiver. He took a deep, steady breath. 


Tao knew deep inside that he was still upset with Kris. He was still hurt. More than that. Devastated. Destroyed. For the first time in years, somebody really cared for Tao. They treated him with care and appreciation and protected him. They made him feel like there was a reason for him to be alive. But they lied. He was with someone else the whole time. He never could have really cared. Of course, neither did Taeyang. Tao began to think maybe everybody was like that. Every single person on the face of the planet. 


Humans were sick and deceitful. They liked to play with your heart then rip it out when you least expected it. They were all like that. Kris was no exception. He was exactly the same as everyone else. He couldn't be trusted. No one could be trusted. They would only hurt you in the end. Tao did well through the last 5 years to not let anybody in. Then Kris came along and Tao's plan to avoid everyone went crashing down. He knew he couldn't trust Kris though. He couldn't let him back in. No matter what he said, it was only a lie. Just a gimmick to see how vulnerable Tao was. Tao wasn't going to fall for it now. Nothing Kris could say would convince him otherwise. 


Finally a text arrived on Tao's screen. He eyed it dully. 


>>HottieFanFan
3:13pm
Why can't I stop worrying about you? Why am I all wrapped up in you, concerning myself with everything about you? it's simple, Tao

 

Before Tao had a chance to send anything in response a second message appeared. His eyes widened. His lips parted. His heart suddenly pounded twice as hard and fast. A colourful burst of liveliness and emotion ripped through his body and gripped at his heart, a rude awakening like being entranced in a dull, grey daydream then suddenly getting shocked back to reality by an ice cold bucket of water over your head. Tao gasped sharply at the surreal sensation. The feeling wasn't completely pleasant. Somehow it hurt more than anything and made Tao want to cry so hard.

>>HottieFanFan
3:13pm
I worry because
I really love you


~~~~~~~~


A/N: This might actually disappoint someone out there, so I'm sorry to whoever that is, but I think I want to quit writing. I don't know if it's really my thing~ :(
Anyway, there's chapter 8, lemme know what you thought