roses

h a l l o w

 

 

“Move it over there.”

Yixing placed his hands flat against the large wooden chest and closed his eyes. He inhaled deeply, exhaled noisily and bit down hard on his bottom lip. “And where exactly is ‘there’?” he said with strained patience.

Yifan’s eyes flit around the room, taking his time as they made a lazy arc inside of the huge room. A roaring fireplace buffeted between two large windows crackled loudly with burning wood. Centered along the back wall stood a large weirwood bed stained in shades of mahogany and covered in furs and soft linen. The pelt of a white tiger was laid across the floor and the room smelled of spiced flower petals. Yifan’s gaze continued on its path until it landed on a corner a few feet from the bed. “There is there.”

Yixing looked over his shoulder and his eyes narrowed.  “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Yixing exclaimed, finally losing his cool. “I just moved it from there!”

“No. You just moved it from over there,” Yifan said, pointing under a window. “Now I need you to move it over there.”

“You’ve got the decorating skills of a musket rat. How did you get in charge of this?”

“I’m not that bad.”

Yixing gave him a pointed look.

“Fine. I asked for this job. Then once I got it, I specifically asked for you. Why? Because you, apparently, do not have the decorating skills of a musket rat. You’re more of a wild swan or…a unicorn.” Yifan plucked a flower from the dozens and dozens that had been sent to the room and played with the petals.  “The unicorn loves me,” he plucked a petal and let if fall to the floor,  “the unicorn loves me not.” He plucked another one and his dark eyes gazed at Yixing with a hint of playfulness.

Yixing rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. “Is this your brand of punishment? For last night? Because I wouldn't stay in your tent?”

“Although that was a gravely mistake because I did have…plans, you can’t possibly think that this is punishment?” Yifan laughed, bold and loud before standing from the cushioned sette bench he’d enthroned himself on. “This isn’t punishment XingXing–“

Yixing heard the dip in his voice, a prelude to something dangerous and off limits, and whipped around. “No, Wu Yifan. Don’t call me that.”
Yifan decidedly ignored him and prowled across the room in all of his height and aura and wonderful scent and Yixing cursed inwardly because he’d always been hyper aware of everything that made Yifan, well Yifan.

“What? Don’t call you XingXing, XingXing?” With slow, methodical steps he came closer and closer until he was a only a breath away. “What would you like me to call you?”

“My name,” Yixing said weakly.

“A rose by any other name would be…” Yifan sighed. “Okay, Yixing. Punishment,” the Mott Argan Alpha whispered hotly as he crowded Yixing against a wall, ”by definition is the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense. Punishment would require ropes. Oil. Hot wax and soft skin.” Yixing felt his back his the wall, Yifan’s hard chest flush up against him and nimble fingers digging in to his hips. “You begging and me giving…”

Yixing felt his knees go a little weak and he was marginally grateful that the powerful Alpha was holding him up. He wanted to say something smart in response, something that dripped with sarcasm and bite because honestly it’s what the big overgrown puppy deserved but he couldn’t, not with desire playing kick-a-way with his legs. We shouldn’t be doing this. Anyone could walk in and see them and then they’d have to explain. And even then the explanation may not be enough.  He pushed a little at Yifan’s chest and met  stubborn hot resistance. “Yifan…please.”

Yifan swooped in and trailed his lips across Yixing’s ear. “That’s what I like to hear.” He mouthed Yixing’s neck.  Beg,” he whispered.

Suddenly the bedroom door swung open, creaking as it did, and banged against the wall.

“Mighty Jesu on high! I can’t leave any of you alone, not for one minute!”

Yixing panicked and turned his head toward the open door. Kibum stood there, in one hand an ornate wooden box and yet another vase of flowers in the other. He didn’t bother hiding his bored look.

Yifan frowned. “Kibum, it’s not what it looks like. I’m just …helping Yixing decorate.”

“Yeah and I’ve got a monkey’s . It looked like you were helping yourself to him in the AlphaBeta’s room–which is either highly illegal or extremely unethical. Good thing I don’t care. Let him loose and help me with all of these flowers.” He placed the vase on the floor and stared at if he was tired of its existence. He took a look around the room. “Minho doesn’t even like flowers.”

“I’ve never known Jinki to think past his own “good ideas” but even so I think the flowers are a nice touch and–“

“Hello!” Yixing said, exasperated as he huffed and smacked at Yifan’s hands. The Alpha chuckled in response and Yixing felt his fingers lingering across his back. “It’s okay,” Yifan said, nipping Yixing’s chin. “He knows.”

“For years,” Kibum said as he reclined against the door frame, his lips pulling into a smirk. He leaned his head towards Yixing. “They get pretty drunk at their Alpha meetings thanks to Nichkhun. A little birdy told me that Yifan has the absolute lowest tolerance.” Kibum ignored Yifan’s warning growl. “When he’s drunk, his lips get loose.”

“Wait,” Yixing brow pinched. “How do you know?”

“Because my little birdy is Jonghyun and he is equipped with the second test tolerance and the second loosest set of lips this side of Prae. But again, good thing I don’t care.”

Kibum walked to a tall curio betwixt two tall foxtail ferns and placed the heavy box down. “One of you gonna help me with the flowers or are we going to continue to discuss your adulterous relationship all morning long?”

Yifan huffed and finally, finally let go. “One, I would appreciate it if you didn’t call it adulterous seeing as I’m not technically mated.  Two, I thought that ridiculous betrothal was dissolved when I did that whole creepy Blood Moon bull and three, the word affair sounds grotesque.” He walked over and yanked the heavy vase up with ease. “Thanks for ruining the mood, Prelate.”

 “You’re the first one who recognized my proper title!” Kibum squealed in delight. “I could just kiss you right now!”

“Don’t,” Yifan growled. “I’m swarming with adulterous germs at the moment, remember? Is there something we can help you with or are you just here to be an ?”

“Mainly an but the flowers were important too.” Kibum walked towards the door. “However, Nichkhun was looking for you earlier. But then Tiffany found him and…”

Yixing tilted his head. “Where’s Victoria?”

“With Kyuhyun. This whole day has got everyone,” Kibum raised a brow at the couple,” in a mood. Would be nice if you could control your libidos until this night was over with but that seems to be asking for too much.”

He opened the door and took a step out. “Oh and wolfboy.” Kibum leaned his head inside the room again and glared at Yifan. ”Easy on the goods. I’ll be needing him later.”

Yixing waited for the door to close behind the Omega wolf before he sunk into a chair, his head falling into his open palms. “That was a disaster.”

Yifan bent low and took ahold of Yixing’s hands. “Stop being so pessimistic. It’s not as bad as you think.”

“Yeah because downplaying this is going to make everything better.”

“That’s my general plan.” When Yixing frowned at him, he sighed. “It’s going to be okay.”

“We’ve got three weeks left together, Wu. Then it’s all over.”

“So you’ve stopped trusting me?” Yifan asked. He brought Yixing’s hands to his lips and kissed each knuckle. “I said I would fix it.”

“No, I don’t trust you. Not with this,” Yixing stood and sunk his hands into Yifan’s hair. Yifan leaned into the touch and wrapped his arms around Yixing’s waist. The Beta ran his fingers through Alpha’s pale blond hair with soft .” But it’s okay. I knew that. Three weeks is enough. It has to be.”

Yixing pulled away, ignoring Yifan’s low whine as he walked away.  “I was going to lose you one way or another anyway, wasn’t I?” He walked out, leaving Yifan alone with the roses. On the other side of the door, Kibum remained, his hands behind back as he gazed up at a large tapestry in the hall.

“I panicked,” Kibum said as the door clicked closed behind Yixing. “I’m usually not that…forthcoming. When he told me he was going to fix it, I thought he meant breaking things off with you. “

“I’m glad my personal problems are a bonding experience for the two of you.” Yixing bowed, not understanding why, other than Kibum seemed a lot more powerful than he actually was. He his heels and began to walk away when Kibum called out to him.

“I know how you feel. Empathetically. I thought I was going to lose Jonghyun to someone else. And I accepted it, without question, because that’s what I’m supposed to do. Clan Before Body. Sacrifice for the betterment of Prae. But it wasn’t easy and I wasn’t happy about it. I imagine it’s not easy for you either. Yifan’s father is a bit…particular isn’t he?”

“Besides his particular distaste for Dinfine?” Yixing rubbed the bridge of his nose. “The Wu’s not having control of Prae must have damaged his fragile pretentious ego, but having the alliance rebuilt with Old Se’hai must have made the proud lord happy. As long as it's no one from Dinfine…as long as it isn’t me,” he finished, his voice a whisper.

Kibum turned to Yixing and walked across the hall until he was standing by his side. “As the resident gossip hoarder of Prae, I must inform you, however unwise dutifully for me to do so, that Tao doesn’t feel anything but lukewarm fraternity towards Yifan. Like an older brother that he likes to terrorize. You can do what you want with that information. But I do know that you are smart and you are resourceful enough to not give up. You turn that big hulking idiot into a giddy puppy with just a glance.”

Yixing smiled and scuffed the stone ground with the tip of his boot.  “Thank you Kibum. I feel a little bit better.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Kibum slung an arm around his shoulder. “Let’s get some food into you and then you can help me with the Prime’s room. Heard you’ve got a bit of a decorating thumb.”






Joonmyun glanced over the edge of a scroll to look at the two sitting along the long oak table in their small study. Kyungsoo was busy with arranging some lunar runes, whistling happily as he did, while Minseok scratched a quill across his journal. They were awfully quiet and Joonmyun didn’t know what to do with them when they were this quiet.

“Has Jungah returned all of the instruments from the festival?”

Minseok grunted and pointed to the far corner where a silver case sat on the ground.

“And has Changmin attached his seal to all of the paperwork?”

Kyungsoo hummed, picking up a ruby lunar rune, perusing it for a moment before setting it down. “He delivered them first thing this morning.”

“And has the–“

“Yes,” Minseok said before he could finish. “It’s in the Prayer Room.”

“And the–“

“Sent this morning. They’ll analyze the scriptures with the monks and send us the transcripts.”

“Well. Very good then,” Joonmyun muttered before turning back to his scroll. After he’d reread the first line the third time he lowered it to the table. He pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled loudly. “Minseok. Kyungsoo.”

Both stopped what they were doing and looked up. “Help me out here. I was expecting two excited puppies  jumping at my lap when I got back and it’s quieter today than it’s been in the last twenty years.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered back the box of runes. “What is there to be excited about, Elder?” He cleared his throat loudly.

Joonmyun eyed Kyungsoo carefully before his gaze shifted to Minseok.  Out of the two Oracle under him, he’d known Minseok the longest. Minseok was older than him but had discovered his capability for the metaphysical–or voyantcy–later in life. Minseok was quiet, sensible, and inculcated with a deep sense of protectiveness for Prae.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was different. He was cunning and slightly manipulative in a harmless way…in most cases. Although he was small and thin, if he raised his hand most wolves would flinch. Kyungsoo could also stare you dead in the eye and lie with a smile.

So as much as Joonmyun loved and valued Kyungsoo, most of the time he was just plain wary when Kyungsoo spoke–prophetic or not. He was glad Minseok was around to influence him with proper decision skills and keep him in line.

“You two enciphered a prophecy that was a hundred years coming. You are a permanent part of Prae’s history…indoctrinated legend even! …And you’re just…copasetic about that?”

Kyungsoo looked up again, smiled and Joonmyun narrowed her eyes. “Oh. We celebrated a little while you were out with Jongdae. Although I’m sure our celebrations weren’t as…vigorous as yours.  Kyungsoo flashed his eyebrows and Joonmyun jaw clenched.

Jongdae was an Omega singer from Lark’s Nest. Kyunsgoo likened him to a siren, luring the normally composed Elder of Delphi to do ridiculous impassioned lusty things. Jongdae was also supposed to be a taboo subject since Oracles were supposed to abstain until the Mating Moon.  What a stupid law. They had needs too.

Minseok grinned. “Nevermind him, Elder. He’s a little peeved because a certain Beta wolf was preoccupied with the crisis down the mountain wasn’t able to ‘celebrate’ with him.”

Joonmyun frowned. “What crisis?”

“The AlphaPrime lost control of his wolf last night,” Minseok explained as he continued to write in his journal. “Scared the bejesus out of his mate. Gossip has it that the AlphaBeta isn’t the most…receptive to the Prime’s advances–which makes perfect sense since he wasn’t sup–ow!” Minseok dropped his quill and grabbed his leg under the table.

Kyungsoo glared at him, his brows furrowed and angry before he composed himself and turned back to Joonmyun. “But they’ve got it under control,” he said loudly, almost too loudly. “They’re even holding the tablet succession feast tonight. I’m sure you remembered that.”

Joonmyun sat back in his seat. “Of course. We’ve got to prepare for their conjoining as well.” He pushed the scroll in front of him away and stood. “Make sure you two document everything from the Blood Moon festival so I can deliver it to the archives after the Mating Moon.”

Both Minseok and Kyungsoo bowed their heads. “Yes, Elder.”

Joonmyun smiled at them and turned for the door. His smile dropped as he made his way out of the study hall.

They were lying to him about something…






Jinki stared up at the gates. The gate was wide and tall, topped with iron spikes that caught the noon sun. In times of war, Durkhai and Dinfire constantly fought for control of The Fortress as it lied right between both villages. When Prae was created and the clans unified, the Fortress remained to honor the lives that were lost.

Jinki felt small under its imposing height. He was starting to feel the weight of his new title. He felt the eyes watching him. He felt their whispers. Their elation. Their anger. Their acceptance. Their declination.

Xiah had taught him a lot about leadership. Not in the righteous fury fueled path that Yoon thought was necessary but in a patient thoughtful way. Durkhai was the strongest village of the five because it had been cultivated that way. The urbanity supported that, a true apropos to “Only the strong survive.” The strong were sifted from the weak and those who couldn’t keep up were sent to the borders. It was brutal and it was hard. Yet it wasn’t without its pleasures. Xiah took his time and showed him the two sides to every situation. It was with that sort of tutelage that Jinki was able to not only survive Yoon but also tolerate him with love.

Each village had its strength: Wheph was a clan of arts and science, intelligence and council. Dinfire; combat. Morocco Song, weaponry, Mott Argan, forestry and agriculture and Durkhai, leadership. It was a perfect balance.

He looked at Minho. Considering all things, they would make a good match. Minho’s council and Jinki’s leadership. If Minho could forgo whatever misgivings he had about him, they could actually work.

Yeah, because you’re giving him all the reasons in the world to want to do that. Idiot. 

Two pages that had travelled with them from their tents to the Fortresses’ gates walked to the front of their small travelling party. Each grabbed a large silver ring clutched in the snarling snout of an angry wolf on each gate’s door, pulled back and knocked three times.
 Jinki raised his head. No turning back now. 

“OPEN THE GATES! MAGNUS HAS ARRIVED.”

He heard Minho groaning to his right and he was tempted to join him. The council had decided the name the couple would collectively adopt late into the night. By morning light, all the servants were using it. It was worse than the Dux Ducis title that many of the warrior wolves chose to address him with. Now everything would be Magnus this and Magnus that.  They had names.

As the pages stepped back, two Betas stationed in the sentry towers sent the command below.  The gate groaned open, slow and deep, and Minho could see beyond it. The first person he saw was Kibum dressed in smoke blue  linen pants and a pale lapis longcoat–the colors of Wheph.

Behind him were Jonghyun and his First, Yixing. Next was Yifan. Young Sehun, Yifan’s First, who was just as tall as his leader, strode next to him, his face blank and impassive.  Nichkhun had his two; Sonant Tiffany and Nimble Victoria of the Black Wolves, both sharing the title of First. The party greeted them on the other side of the gate. Kibum was the first to salute, a hand to his fist and a slight bow. The others were quick to follow suit.

“Welcome to your new home,” Kibum said proudly. He looked at Minho first and Jinki was reminded that they were best friends. Minho returned the smile and Jinki found himself jealous that Kibum received something he was fighting to get.

Kibum looked over to him too but Jinki kept his eyes straight ahead. Kibum rolled his eyes in response. “We have planned an exquisite few days in your honor starting with the tablet succession ceremony tonight. I’ll show you to your rooms. Your servants–“

That caught Jinki’s ire. “What is with you people?” he said as his head whipped to Kibum’s, his long black braid flying over his shoulder. “Why are there servants? For what? We are not your bloody kings!”

 “–will attend to you at dusk to help prepare you for tonight.” Kibum sighed. “Please, Jinki, gives these old fools what they want. If they want to liken you to royalty for a few weeks, let them. Before you know it, you’ll have your chance to prance like a kitten with your swords and authority and your ultra–machismo, but for now, please behave.”

“I do not prance!” Jinki sputtered. Minho tried to keep a straight face but Jinki didn’t miss the way he hid his laughter behind his hand.

Kibum his heels and began leading them away from the gate. The Fortress was designed and built by Wheph and resembled their Hakka structure. Just inside the gate were three thick outer rings that served as barracks and surrounded the gong like center of The Fortress. Their small party followed Kibum and the three other Alphas of Prae through each rings, down a long cobblestone path, through the courtyard. They passed through another gate that led them to the center cluster of The Fortress.

They passed several buildings–The Moon Prayer Temple, The Great Hall, the Wall of Divine Light, The Dongbang Library. They come across yet another gated archway, this one made of red brick. On the other side and  at the top of a very long flight of stairs was a sancai colored building, huge and imposing.

Once at the top, they made their way down the winding curves of the hallway until they came to another large door with two guards on either side. As their party approached, they opened the doors. Sunlight hit them once again. There was a wooden bridge that stretched from the door a multitude of independent pavilions. The bridge ran over a large pond filled with koi fish.

“This is the Magnus Pavilion,” Kibum explained to the newcomers. It is the very center of The Fortress and nearly impenetrable from the outside.” Kibum pointed to the high walls that created an almost valley like atmosphere inside the pavilion.  “Your rooms are prepared for you,” Kibum said.

Jinki watched as everyone peeled off, some more excited than others because it was an honor to see this far into The Fortress. They walked across the bridge to doors with their name pinned to them. Jonghyun was the first inside of his. The door swung open and there was a shout before he ran back to the deck.

“THESE ARE HUGE! HUGE! MIGHTY JESU!”

“Jonghyun,” Jinki pleaded. “Please don’t scare the “servants” with your excitement. At least pretend you’ve seen splendor before.”

“Oh, you haven’t seen splendor yet, “ Kibum said as he guided Minho and Jinki across the bridge and to the largest building situated in the middle. The doors opened and Jinki heard Minho gasp under his breath.

“This is–this is.”

Kibum smiled. “The Magnus Suite.”

The inside was magnificent. They followed a short hallway until it split, leading to two separate bedrooms. Each were decorated in ivory and jade, golden statues and rare tapestries. They looked into Jinki’s room.  A large bed took up most of the room and had a fireplace that almost reached the ceiling. Minho’s was almost identical except for one little thing. It was filled with vases over vases of red roses, a rare flower only found outside of the Ves territories. I paid my weight in gold for these damn flowers.

“I didn’t know if you liked roses or not but…” Jinki said. He looked straight ahead, not daring to look to this left but still felt Minho’s gaze on him.

Get a damn grip! He’s no different from any other wolf you’ve wooed before. Stop acting like some cub wet behind the ear!

“I don’t like roses….”

Jinki’s brows rose. “Oh! Well, tell me which kind. I can have them–“

“At all. I don’t like flowers.” At all,” Minho said simply and Jinki felt his shoulders drooping. You are a cub wet behind the ears. Why hadn’t he asked? Why did he blindly think that…, he groaned inwardly.  A hand on his shoulder interrupted his one man pity party.

“I appreciate them. They are nice so…thank you?” Minho’s smile was small, barely broke the surface of his face, but it was enough for Jinki.

Kibum took a step back from them. “I’ll leave you two to your rooms, then. Like I said, by dusk. Have fun!” Kibum stepped out of the suite but quickly returned. “Oh, yes. I know this is romantic and such and you might lose your senses in the moment like everybody else in this damn place but please remember. No touching until the Mating Moon.”

Jinki rolled his eyes. He definitely wasn’t in any danger of Minho having some sort of retrogression of conscience and throwing himself at Jinki, so Kibum didn’t need to reiterate that ridiculous rule at every turn.

Minho began moving towards his room, Kibum’s seeming to have no effect on him. “I’m going to lay down for a bit. I trust the servants will wake me. If not, will you?” Minho turned towards his room but Jinki reached out to him. When his hand cuffed around Minho’s arms, Minho looked down at the hand as if it were burning him.

“So I’m guessing you’re still mad at me?” Jinki said as he snatched his hand back.

Minho frowned. “I don’t think today is the best time to have that conversation.”

Jinki leaned against the door. “Actually I think today is a perfectly good day seeing as we will be living together from now on.”

“Hardly.” Minho reached out and knocked on the wall. “There’s a couple slabs of wood separating us.”

“That’s a technicality, Minho.”

“It is also a fact. We live near each other, not with. It’s better this way, at any chance.”

“Ah,” Jinki said simply, disappointment coloring his tone. “Right,” Jinki looked down and rubbed the back of his head. “Well that answers my question.  Enjoy your nap.”  He turned to leave.

“Jinki,” Minho called out before he could. Jinki didn’t dare turn around. “I’m not mad. I was scared.”

Jinki whipped around, his brow creased. “I’d never hurt you, Minho,” he said incredulously.

Minho shook his head. “I wasn’t scared of you. I was scared for you. There’s a difference.”

Jinki felt his heart thud painfully.

“See you tonight,” Minho said as he closed his door. Jinki made his way to his own room and sat down on the edge of his bed.

He was going to make Minho want him. He was going to make Minho his. There was no other answer.