onus

h a l l o w

 

Present day

“Is he awake yet?”

The healer smiled warmly and shook his head.

“His dose was the strongest. However I think it won’t be long until he does.”

Kibum nodded, quietly thanking the healer before stepping into the tent. This tent was just as large and Jinki’s and Minho’s with same roaring fire pit and birch wood columns. Three beds were situated around the tent floor. Two beds were empty.

Kibum chewed on his lip and approached the bed, using the chair the healer brought in to perch on. He leaned over the sleeping Alpha wolf, gazing at his face, taking time to admire it.

Jonghyun looked calm. Smooth tanned face free of any wrinkles or worry lines, pale pink lips…imperfect nose. Kibum almost thought he was smiling. Jonghyun would never let him get this close if he were awake. Always smacking his hand away or taking a step back if Kibum got too close in public.

Kibum understood. Jonghyun was a leader and needed to appear as a leader. His pack looked to him for everything–stability, peace, survival. In a world where the Alpha assumed ultimate rugged dominance, Kibum made Jonghyun’s eyes go soft whenever he looked at him, caused him to smile too hard or pick the petals off a flower, one by one, muttering to himself. Sometimes Jonghyun wanted to forget all of his work and lay in bed with Kibum all morning. But he couldn’t and Kibum understood.

The life of the unmated.

Kibum brushed Jonghyun’s bright white hair from his forehead.

“I think it’s silly that they gave you such a strong dose. If they didn’t want you to be an Alpha of Prae, I think a little note clipped to your shirt for your mommy to see would have been sufficient. Why did they have to go and knock you out to prove a point?”

The pads of Kibum’s fingers ran down the bridge of Jonghyun’s nose. The tip of a fang poked out between his lips.

“I’m glad though,” the Omega whispered. “That it wasn’t you, that they chose someone else. I was glad. Am I supposed to say that? Am I allowed? That I didn’t want to give you up? And now I don’t have to? So selfish, you would say. You’re right. I am selfish.“

Kibum continued to gaze at him for a moment, a minute, he didn’t know, until he lowered his head to Jonghyun’s and inhaled. He used to hate the way Jonghyun smelled. It was so different from his spices and smoky scent, so much stronger and it used to make Kibum wrinkle his nose when he was around. And they weren’t always this close. Jonghyun was cocky and smooth talking. Kibum was candid and surefooted. They clashed because Minho would treat Kibum like his Beta and Jonghyun used to have an obsession with following hierarchy. They’d both changed and now Kibum liked Jonghyun’s scent. Jonghyun smelled like clouds and spring water in May. He smelled like first fallen snow and the wind.

“Stop sniffing me, you crazy wolf.” A hand reached up and Kibum felt thin fingers lacing with his. “Taking advantage of me while I sleep. So rude.”

Kibum scoffed as Jonghyun’s eyes fluttered open.

“Hey,” Jonghyun said softly.

“Hey,” Kibum said back.

Jonghyun began to sit up and Kibum rushed to help him upright. He turned, grabbing the pitcher on the table and pouring water into a cup.

“Here. Your throat must feel like sand.”

“No worse than my head. Was that really necessary? I didn’t want to be their damn Alpha leader anyway and all I got for trying was this ing headache.” Jonghyun grabbed the water and gulped it down, water spilling over his lips and down his neck. “Who got Beta anyways? Probably Yifan and his permanent smug face.”

Kibum forehead pinched. “It’s amazing, actually. Totally divine. It has to be,” he wondered out loud.

“What is?”

“Minho.”

“That towering, altitudinous, ridiculously tall for no reason best friend of yours? The one that always sticks his damn nose in my business? Funny smelling one?”

“Uh, yeah, that’s him alright.” Kibum turned and placed the pitcher back on the table. “He was…was chosenasAlphaBeta,” Kibum gushed.

“You know it’s probably unhealthy for him to be that–what did you just say?”

“You heard me,” Kibum muttered.

Jonghyun narrowed his eyes, confused, and for a moment, Kibum wondered if every secret he’d ever told Jonghyun had gone in one furry ear and out the other. Then he watched, amazed, as it caught up with him.

“What the  do you mean Minho is Alpha Beta? That’s biologically impossible, Kibum! Impossible! Holy has he mated with Jinki yet? Oh my god, he has hasn’t he? , that’s it! That’s it, we’re all dead. Dead. Jinki is going to find out, and then by proxy, he’s going to link you to it, and I’ll be damned if anyone lays a hand on my mate so then I’m going to have to fight my best friend. My best friend! To defend your honor!” Jonghyun was screaming at this point, his legs kicking under the covers and his fist balled at his side. Kibum rushed to cover his mouth but just as he did, Kibum blinked, long and slow.

“Did you just say mate?”

Kibum didn’t move his hand from Jonghyun’s mouth, so Jonghyun looked him in his eyes and nodded. Simply.

Kibum didn’t know what to think. Sure, he’d hope, was almost certain, but everything in their world was black and white. Either it was, or it wasn’t. Either you were, or you weren’t. It is, or it isn’t. Until Jonghyun declared it, and until Kibum accepted it, there was no way to be absolutely sure.

Slowly, Jonghyun reached up and removed Kibum’s hand. “Why do you look like that?”

“You signed up for a ing measuring contest to see if you’d be the mate of the most powerful Alpha in Prae. And you were a shoe-in! What exactly do you think?”

Jonghyun’s grip tightened on Kibum’s hand. “I...I had to. I couldn’t withdraw, Kibum. Dinfire’s social standing depended on last night. I couldn’t…”

Kibum sat away from Jonghyun. “I know that. I’m not saying I don’t agree with your decision. I did…I do. However, can I get a moment to be surprised? It’s been fifteen years.”

“Fifteen perfect years,” Jonghyun crooned, attacking Kibum and laying wet sloppy kisses on his neck.

“Oh, god, gross.”

“By the way, what are you doing here still? I was sure you’d be back in Wheph by now.”

Kibum smiled as he untangled himself from Jonghyun’s stocky arms. “I’m the Prelate of Bonds.”

“You?”

“Me,” Kibum prattled proudly. “I get to watch over the happy couple to make sure they don’t kill each other before the Full Moon. And from this morning’s display, I wouldn’t say they are warming up to each other too smoothly. I couldn’t tell if Jinki was about to kiss or gnaw Minho’s face off. And not the good kind of gnaw either.”

“Well, Jinki should hurry up and claim him. Soul bonds tend to lessen murderous intent. Especially if he ever finds out.”

Kibum nodded and wiped his hands over his face tiredly.

If.




Jinki was a bit confused. He’d done his research. The last Blood Moon Alpha bonded pair was Heechul and Han Geng. The two helped broker the peace at the end of The Shifter War and solidified the five warring clans into the villages of Prae. From what he read, they were marched into town, shown their new home–now the fortress– and that was it. There had been no bowls, no elixirs, no fainting spells. There had been no fancy clothing and jewelry and scheduled tours around town. No ridiculous sit down dinners and no ridiculous speeches.

Jinki really wanted to speak to whoever started this and snap their neck.

This wasn’t a political campaign. That was for humans. They were wolves. The only thing Prae needed was for Jinki and Minho to lead. Not parade them around like puppies on leashes.

Jinki sighed and at the outside of the tent in a huff.

After he and Minho ate, the most wearying process he’s ever been involved began.

The two Beta wolves from earlier re-entered, now with two smaller golden chest and placed them at the foot of their respective beds.

Great more golden .

Then they stood there, silently, one staring at Jinki, the other staring at Minho.

Neither party said not a word and Jinki could feel Minho getting annoyed. If there was a bond, he could calm him through it, which would help his own temper.

Unconsciously a subsonic growl gathered around his throat. Minho sensed it and his hand shot out before Jinki said something rash.

“Is there something we can do to…I don’t know, help you two?”

The taller one grinned and relaxed. “I though you would never ask, Dux Ducis. They instructed us to not speak until spoken to. Sorry for the stare off.”

Jinki groaned. Dux Ducis was an antiquated titled someone had picked up from the Romans years and year back. It meant leader and however fancy the title was, Jinki didn’t want a trend to start. Changmin and his archaic ways.

“Minho and Jinki is just fine. I won’t have you speaking a dead language because some old wolf told you too.”

“Yes, my lord. I’m Jongin,” the Beta wolf announced, thumbing to his chest. “And that’s Yixing. Our Alphas lent us to assist you until the Full Moon.”

Jinki grunted. “Is everybody in this goddamned village ‘helping’ us until the Full Moon? It doesn’t take much to put my in his so I don’t know why everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel!”

Minho sighed like it wasn’t inevitable and Jinki rolled his eyes.

“You act as if I’m not telling the truth.”

“No, you’re right. I’m just lamenting on how terribly romantic you are.”

“Stop reading human books and you wouldn’t get human ideas.”

Minho tossed him a glance. “I see detecting sarcasm isn’t a strength of yours.“

“Luckily,” Yixing interrupted, scrunching his nose, “we are not here for that. We are to take care of the heavy duty stuff. The gifts you’ll receive, packing up your homes and transporting your things to the fortress, and most importantly…” He bent in half and flipped open the lock to the chest at his feet. He lugged out a heavy golden haired bear pelt. Jongin did the same.

“And what the  are those?” Jinki growled.

Yixing blinked. “The Sacraments.”

“T-The Sacraments?” Jinki bellowed, incredulous. “No seriously? Those look like they weigh a ton. What happened to the simple headdress they spoke of? They said a simple headdress of rubies and gold. They said nothing about the some ing golden bear demon hide!”

Jinki knew Minho could feel his anger rising again–it was amazing–and stepped up once again. “Ah, um. Thank you two, for bringing this to us. If you’ll allow us to get dress, then you can help us get those…on. I’ll attend to our Alpha Prime for now.”

Jongin looked at Yixing and Yixing looked at Jongin before they bowed deeply and began to withdraw. “We’ll be outside if you need us.”

“It’s goddamn circus.” Jinki glared at the retreating backs of the two Beta wolves before turning to Minho. “And what’s with you? ‘I’ll attend to the Alpha Prime.’ Quick turnaround from this morning’s sputtering speech. What was it? ‘This is a mistake.“ Jinki snorted.

Minho moved from his bed, tugging his pants up as he did. “Look. I’m not very good at being deferential. However, I understand the nature of this pairing and I will do my best…for the short amount of time we are going to be paired. You should know, I do plan on speaking with the Oracles and having them choose a sufficient mate for you. It’s not me.”

Jinki softened for a moment. “That was a joke earlier…about Yifan,” Jinki said quietly. “I didn’t think you were actually serious about that.”

Minho walked behind Jinki’s bed and pulled his long black strands back in his hands, plating the hair down his back. Although he didn’t dislike him, he didn’t like him either. Too stuffy. Too idealistic. Too indecisive. But he’d accepted Minho as his name and his mind and body fell in line. Quickly. Jinki liked the feel of Minho’s hands in his hair. He liked the smell of him. The profile of his face, his height. His smooth baritone, his large eyes. He leaned back into Minho’s touch and closed his eyes. His peace was interrupted when Minho flung his braided over his shoulder. “I was,” Minho finally replied.

Jinki’s eyes shot open. “You’re ridiculous–”

“Call it what you want,” Minho charged quietly.

“–And I’ll tell you why. Besides the fact that there’s probably no way in hell the Oracles are going to reverse anything on account of you “not feeling it” or whatever moral crisis you think you’re having right now, this–me and you–is how it works and this is how it always has worked. Political matings between clans is status quo. Has been for centuries now.”

“One, this isn’t political. It’s mythical, prophetical. And two …” Minho sighed. “You don’t understand.”

“It’s not like I’m trying to either,” Jinki ground out before standing, still . ”Because if I’m stuck in this, so are you. You aren’t going to embarrass me, you are not going to defy me, and you are not going to make a sham of the ceremony Yunho believed so much in. If you didn’t want to be a part of this, you should have withdrawn your name.” He rammed his bare foot into his pants.

“Have my clothes ready by the time it get back,” he threw over his shoulder before storming out.




During their final tour of Prae, most of the townspeople came out to greet them; reaching out to touch their clothing like they were royalty or something. It could be the mystery behind it, a chance to treat them like royalty, because their mating would be something divine, something prophesized.

Of course, Jinki thought otherwise. The jewelry was gaudy and ridiculous, the gauntlets, stiff against his skin and The Sacraments were heavy on his head and shoulders. None of it however was as heavy as Jinki’s narrowed glare.

Twice–twice!–Minho had sought out the Oracles and twice Jinki had stopped him. Minho attempted a third time but Jinki had all but dragged him from the room before he got a chance to tap Minseok on the shoulder.

He knew the moment they stepped foot inside of that tent, there would be a war.


“If I had to listen to that pratty old spiritualist recite that poem again, I was going to lose it. If I don’t hear of Cordia’s Blood Flower ever again, I’ll be perfectly fine.”

Jinki strode in after him, snatching The Sacrament from his head and flinging the heavy garment across his bed. “It was rather boring.”

“That goes without saying,” Minho replied as he carefully placed his hide back in the chest.

Jinki looked at Minho’s back. He was prancing around, casually, as if he hadn’t tried to embarrass Jinki on several occasions.

Insolent whelp!

“Tell me. Was there anybody else you’d rather talk to today? The Oracles perhaps? They had your attention, they had all of your attention if I remember correctly.”

Minho sighed like Jinki was being unreasonable and Jinki wanted to smack his head from his shoulders.

“I can’t explain to you why this mating isn’t a wise choice, why it doesn’t make any sense, why you’d be better off with someone else. I can’t ask you to trust me, either, we hardly know each other well enough for that. But I’m not what this village needs as its leader. I’m not. Hell, I don’t even feel anything for you. Not even the slightest stirring.“

That wasn’t what Jinki wanted to hear. He’d noticed Minho. He’d always noticed Minho. From the stupid summit meetings to the balls and the festivals. He’d always noticed Minho. There was something about him, he couldn’t put his finger on it, didn’t think he could even if he tried. But he was drawn to Minho, felt no aversion when Minho was called to be his mate. He felt nothing but acceptance.

And this half-shot of a wolf wanted to stand in front of him and tell him he felt nothing? Nothing?! He couldn’t even manage to smile at Jinki. ‘This is a mistake. This is a mistake.’ We were chosen right under the Blood Moon! How could it be a mistake?! The gods ordained this!

How could it be a mistake when Jinki wanted him?

It pissed him off.

“The problem with that is,” Jinki grit out between his teeth. “I feel something, Minho. I feel it down in my soul and in my loins. Just a whiff of you and my twitches. It’s as if I’m supposed to want you.”

“That’s not my problem.”

Jinki growled. “It is your problem.”

Minho spun around, mouth open to say something, to say anything but before he could, Jinki lunged at him, knocking him backwards and up and over the bed.
Minho’s back hit the floor between his bed and the wall with a hard smack. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Jinki’s eyes flashed gold.

“It is your problem.”

__________
40 years ago…

A large paw came across Jinki’s snout. He yelped and slid back with the force of the blow. He was seeing double but he concentrated his vision enough to just manage to dodge the next slash. He took a few steps back and dug his back paws into the sand. The air was still, he could smell his opponent, the distance between the two of them, how many steps it would take to get to them.

He inhaled through his snout and exhaled out of his mouth. He drew all of his energy into his hind legs and lunged. He was halfway through the air when his opponent blurred and disappeared. Jinki tried twisting his body midair to avoid it but it was too late. A hard blow to the back of his head had him sprawled across the sand pit a second later.

“Victor, Hyorin.”

Jinki picked himself up from the ground, his four legs wobbling as he did. The air was alive with energy, from the yelps of excitement from the other wolves watching, from the human form of the referee who was waving a small red flag, the color of Hyorin’s corner, from Hyorin who pranced around the ring happily, reveling in her victory.

Jinki wasn’t concerned about the other wolves; it was customary to cheer at the end of a sparring match. He wasn’t concerned about Hyorin, either; she’d won fair and square. It was his father’s hard disapproving glare from his corner of the sparring ring that worried him.

Hyorin finished being ridiculous and shifted into her human form, grabbing a wrap and throwing it around her body. She sauntered over to Jinki, bent down and wrapped her hands around his neck.

“So close, Jinki. So close! However, I may have cheated a little,” she whispered into his furry ear. Jinki rolled his eyes and shuffled out of her embrace so he could shift himself.

“How did you cheat?” he said once he was back human. “By beating me?”

“Yes, at your own game. You get this look in your eye when you’re going to lunge. It’s not much, just a flickering in those gorgeous red eyes of yours, but I’ve seen it enough to know when you’re going for the kill. Only way I would win.”

Jinki sniffed. “You’re the best fighter here, Hyorin. You don’t have to my wounds for me.”

Hyorin laughed. She accepted Jinki’s pants from one of the others outside the pen and tossed them in his lap. “I’m just faster. You’re smarter. Stronger. I just got the one up on ya this time.” She looked over her shoulder to Yoon, Jinki’s father. “Think he’s upset?”

Jinki snorted. “Understatement.” Hyorin looked remorseful and Jinki didn’t like her frown. “Don’t worry about it. Never pull back from a fight because you think it’ll save me.”

“Someone got to watch your back. It’s my job to,” she said softly, nuzzling the top of his head.

“Maybe,” Jinki answered back. “I’ll see you tonight?”

“Yeah. If you're still in one piece.”


“How do you expect to be Alpha of this clan fighting like that?” Yoon circled Jinki, arms tucked across his wide chest.

“I don’t know, sir,” Jinki said, eyes facing the ground.

“That’s not good enough. That’s not nearly good enough of an answer.”

“I can’t win every fight, Father. It’s not possible and I think losing every once in a while is a good lesson to lea–“ Jinki yelped as Yoon’s fist connected with his face.

“Don’t talk back to me.”

Jinki inhaled, furious, spitting the blood in his mouth out against their rammed earth floor, but kept silent.

“You wouldn’t have lost that fight if it wasn’t for that girl.” Yoon spat as he turned to his son. “Hyorin’s no good for you. She makes you weak. Vulnerable. Pathetic. She will not be your mate when your mating year comes.”

Jinki face went red. He obeyed everything his father said. Everything. Everything. Why did he have to take away one of the only things that made him… “Yes, sir.”

“I want it back,” Yoon fumed. “Xiah stole my spot from me. He stole it and this family will get it back.” He whipped around to face Jinki and the younger shifter quickly lowered his angry glare. “I’m giving Taeyeon to Yoochun,” Yoon announced resolutely. “Their bond will elevate our family standings. Get us closer.”

Jinki’s eyes went wide. “Taeyeon…she’s only...she’s only a chi–“

‘She’s bled. She’s an adult.”

“No,” Jinki whispered furiously.

Yoon’s eyes narrowed. “What did you just say?”

“I said…I said no! Mother wouldn’t want this. You–you used to be different, you use to…care about us. Now we’re just pawns you want to use. Taeyeon is a child! You can’t–“

Yoon rushed Jinki, a hand clamping around his throat and squeezing so hard Jinki felt Yoon shake with the force of his grip. Jinki tried to scream out but it came out as a choke. Yoon continued to squeeze, lifting Jinki off the ground until his feet dangled below him. “Become Alpha then,” he said lowly.

Jinki clawed at his father’s hands, desperately trying to get air into his lungs.

“Become Alpha of Durkhai and I won’t touch a hair on her head.” Yoon tilted his head to the side, watching his son’s face purpling with a smile. “You’ll have to speak up, Jinki. I can’t hear you. Answer me!”

Jinki forced all of his energy into a sad pathetic yelp. He felt his eyes rolling in to the back of his head. He felt the world starting to go black. Yoon rolled his eyes and threw Jinki to the ground.

“You're pathetic. Not even worth killing. Get up,” Yoon growled.

When Jinki didn’t move, Yoon kicked him sharply across his ribs, once. Twice for good measure. Jinki curled into a ball, weakly trying to protect himself. He felt all the energy had left his body.

“Remember Jinki, I may not have been chosen to lead this pack, but I can influence it. Xiah, this clan, this village would be nothing without my sacrifice! Nothing! And I’ll make sure each and every last one of you pay me back in kind.”

Jinki couldn’t concentrate on anything. Everything hurt. His eyes fluttered close.

“You don’t think this is your problem because your mother ran off with that ing jackal? Well, guess what. It is your problem. Yours, Taeyeon’s and Taemin’s. I will rule this clan and no one but you will help me do it, you understand?”

Jinki groaned as he passed out.

It is your problem.

__________________________________________________

Note: 
Because I'm not sure if I'll get a chance ot explain this, I'll explain it now. If I explain it later...well two scoops have always been more than one!! *ahem*

We all know shifter wolves liver longer than human or regular wolves. Presently, Jinki is about 167 and Minho is 152. That would make Kibum 152, and Jonghyun 160ish? (Don't ask how I came up with the numbers...I don't damn it know). They age slower too. Between birth and 50 human years, a shifter wolf will appear at it's oldest, 10 years old. Between 50 years and 100 years old; teenage years. 100, early twenties. So when I say someone is 18...that's 18 wolf year..

 

???????



Year 150 is a wolf's mating year. They are not required to mate on this year, but it tells the world that they are ready to mate. A lot of political matings will happen on this year. It is treated like a second coming of age, much like their Presentation Ceremony where they are introduced as Alpha, Beta, or Omega. Because Omegas still have heats, unmated Omegas venture out every heat seasons (summer and winter) to the other side of Toleran and stay with the feral Omegas of that village. Likewise, Alphas and Betas of Toleran venture to Prae. The exchange is overseen by contracted non-wolf shifters to keep Alpha/Betas from venturing to Toleran and Omegas from venturing to Prae during that time.

Uuuuh. I think that's all I got for right now.