exodus

h a l l o w

It had been hours since Elder Changmin’s cryptic message and Minho still hadn’t made much of it–that made sense, anyways.

Prae may seem like the entire world, but it isn’t.

To keep in the spirit of being totally confusing, Elder Changmin had allowed Kibum into the Beam Room. “For counsel,” he’d said before he had them bar the door with a guard on post on the other side. Counsel? No criminal was allowed “counsel” before an interrogation.

 “What kind of interrogation is needed, anyways? Just lift up my shirt. Swollen belly. Case solved.”

Kibum looked up from the table, his face wet with tears. Minho pinched the bridge of his nose. Kibum wasn’t offering a lot of counsel. What he was offering was a sobfest because he hadn’t stopped crying since Changmin had let him in.

“Kibum,” Minho sighed.

“What are we going to do? What are we going to’do?” he wailed.

“First you have to calm down and stop crying,” Minho suggested. “Think of your baby.”

“How? How can I stop crying? This is serious, Minho. They have you locked up for high treason. They are going to either push you off the cliffs of Salt Kys or drown you in the Blood Forged Lake. So tell me, how am I supposed to stop crying?” The High Steward placed his head back down on the table, his entire aura screaming miserable.

“I…I don’t know, Kibum,” Minho admitted quietly. “What if Jinki suffers heartsickness when I die? He’s imprinted on us. What if he can’t survive this?”

“You all can’t die,” he whimpered. “We have to think of something!”

“Like what?” Minho implored.

Kibum’s head sprung back up. “What…what if we were able to prove that you are an Alpha but…you’re like a mutant? Like you’ve got all the parts down there but you’re still...you’re still…you know! That this is not your fault! You’re really like…everything!  That–that kind of sounds…really advantageous when you think about it. The strength of an Alpha, the womb of an Omega…”

It was Minho’s turn to put his head down on the table. “No,” he groaned.

“Maybe we can just, I don’t know, jail break you. It’s just one guard at the door. You’re strong and now you’ve got those creepy powers. You should be able to take him!”

“Probably,” Minho said, his head still down. “But I can’t take the other hundreds of them that stand between us and the Fortress gate.”

“That’s right,” Kibum agreed sullenly. He stood and walked to a window that faced the west court of the Fortress. In the distance was the Magnus Pavilion. “Where is Jonghyun?” Kibum asked pitifully. “If he were here, we could probably come up with a better plan.”

“No. I don’t want anyone planning anything,” he said, raising his head.  I deserve this, Kibum. I don’t want anyone to put themselves in danger because of me. Not anymore. My mate,” he rubbed his eyes tiredly. “My mate is trapped in a fever dream because of me. I don’t want–“

Didn’t I tell you to stop thinking with you head?

Kibum’s head snapped from the window, his eyes wide. “Did you hear that?” he said, his brows pinched.

Minho stared back at Kibum. “You heard that?”

“Yeah,” Kibum’s said, his eyes darting back and forth as he continued to search for the source. “It sounded just like Jinki…”

I sound nothing like him, fox.

“Okay, I know I look like a fox but I am NOT a fox! Where are you?!”

Suddenly, the dim room lit up in an orange white glow. Kibum gasped and Minho’s face split in a smile. A thin transparent image of Onew cloaked in pure energy appeared before them in the Beam Room. The glow fluctuated before dissipating, leaving them with a whole solid Onew.

“What in the hell…” Kibum uttered, his eyes wide open.

Seeing Onew as he habituated Jinki’s body and seeing Onew as he was naturally made Minho’s mouth drop open.

Onew wore clothing that seemed to be a mix of The Wander’s village attire–the roughspun fabric and unfinished seams–with the getup of Durkhai–bold, smooth lines, and robust colors. His hair was different as well. Whereas Jinki’s hair flowed down his back in waves of black, Onew’s hair was the color of wet sand, akin to his smell. It was shaved low on the sides, while a sloppy topknot sat on top of his head. Just visible under this low cut hair were thick, bold symbols in black ink that flowed down his shoulders and collarbones, his sleeveless shirt showcasing the ones painting his arms. Minho was convinced that Jinki’s entire body was tattooed. His eyes were an ever-present gold and his skin was tanned as if he’d spent hours in the sun, just like the other Wanderer’s.

Minho, however, got over the shock of Onew’s appearance quickly. He ran across the room and threw his arms around his neck. “It worked! It worked! Holy ! You’re here!”

“Keep it down,” Onew said, digging a finger into his ear.

“Either of you…want to tell me what’s going on? Reminder, I’m the more emotional and unreasonable pregnant person out of the two of us, so it would be wise for you to be quick with your answers,” Kibum threatened.

The Apparition Magikus had been kept a secret between the mages. No one, not even the Magnus Bone Pack and staff had been made aware. That included Kibum, who didn’t look too happy about that fact.

“That’s…Onew,” Minho said carefully.

Kibum’s eyes narrowed as he looked from Minho to the newcomer. “That…thing is Onew? That’s Jinki’s wolf.” Kibum blinked.

“That thing?”  Onew barked back, incredulous. “How about you bring YOUR wolf out and we compare and contrast!”

“I would love to but I have no idea how the this is happening.” Kibum turned to Minho. “Why is Jinki’s wolf,” and his arms flailed, “OUT of him? Put him back in! I don’t think he’s supposed to be OUT of him.”

“I purposely pulled him out. My wolf is with Jinki.”

“So you–what–swapped them out? Like you swap out shoes? Like books to be traded? For ing ’s sake.” Kibum threw his arms up. “I should have stayed in Wheph. Should have been a farmer or something. Maybe a goat herder because this is insanity!”

Minho ignored Kibum’s temper tantrum. As Kibum had stated, he was...emotional. Eyeing Onew, his smile returned. “So it worked. Is he okay?”

Onew nodded. “Yes, it worked. He’s fine. At least that the last thing I felt before the switch. Caleo is with Jinki and I’m here with you.” Onew grinned. “I like being with you. It makes Caleo jealous.” Then he giggled. “He’s going to be sooo jealous.”

Minho rolled his eyes. “He can’t be jealous if I die.”

That sobered Onew up quickly. “Right.”

“Were you given a plan?”

Onew shook his head, his face contrite. “No. I’m here solely to protect you. I mean, I can try to come up with a plan but I’m not sure if that’s where you want to go with this.”

Minho held his hand up. “No,” he said firmly. “That’s quite alrigh–“

“You are to free the Alpha Beta at this instance!”

Minho looked up at the door, the sound of a voice, the only voice that mattered, echoing through the courtyard. “Jinki,” he whispered. He’s really okay!

“Minho! Come look at this!”

Kibum stood at another window, this one a little higher, with the help of a chair and looked out towards the front of the courtyard. Minho joined him, standing on the edge. He blinked, once, then twice before his eyes went wide.

“Blessed Jesu, what are they doing?”

Outside of the Dongbang Library were several rows of Palace Guards, their blades and spears in front of them. Kyung stood in his position of command, his sheathed sword in the air. The lines of guards, all precise and exact in formation, were standing in between the doors of the Dongbang Library and sixteen figures, all dressed in black and deep green.

Taeyeon, Taemin, Iseul, and Danye formed a group of four on one side, while Tiffany, Victoria, Tao and Sehun, formed another group of four on the other. Jackson, Kahi and Julien, all back from an errand Minho had them run were across the back line. Across the front in a straight line were, Yixing, Yifan, Jonghyun, Nickhun with Jinki at its center.

“There’s no way he’s going to try and break me free in the middle of the goddamn day.”
Jinki, surprised by Minho’s proclamation, dragged a chair to the window and looked out. “Huh. He is. That’s more badass than I would have given him credit for.”

“He’s going to fight the guards?!” Kibum gasped out.

Apparently. Kyung, who looked conflicted but engaged, took a step towards the group. “My lord, Jinki, please stand down. I don’t want to have to fight you!”

“If you don’t want to fight me, then don’t,” Jinki replied simply.

The answer must have pained Kyung because he pulled a face. “You know better than anyone that I cannot do that. You, yourself, would flay me alive if I didn’t do my duty! If I didn’t honor my position! The position you gave me!”

“Aye, cousin. I know. I respect your dedication, but that is not going to stop me from doing this. It won’t stop me from getting to my mate.”

Kyung pointed his sheathed sword at him, obviously frustrated.  Jonghyun, Nichkhun and Yifan took a step forward to put themselves between Kyung’s sword and Jinki. Jinki put his hand out to calm them down. Kyung must have noticed his error and dropped his sword back to his side, yet still engaged. “He’ll get a fair investigation, Jinki,” he tried, dropping the honorifics he knew Jinki hated. “On my honor, I swear it.”

Jinki cocked his head to the side. “He’s not going to be interrogated. Now, move.” He tongued the inside of his cheek. He held his head down and looked up, purple bleeding into his eyes.

 “I don’t have to remind you all that killing is strictly forbidden here. They are Palace Guards, they are only doing their job,” Jonghyun said clear and loud.

Kyung sighed and unsheathed his own sword. Pyo and Jaehyo at his side, repeated his actions. “If there isn’t anything else to be done to persuade you…” he said, resigned. He turned to his men. “You know these men and women. They are strong. They are powerful. They are also loyal men to this land. Do not shed any blood.”

Jinki growled to his group in answer.

Jinki unsheathed Espada and Minho had to  shield his eyes when a bright light, similar to Onew’s a moment ago, filled the courtyard. It retracted inward just the same but there was a difference. Instead of the energy forming Caleo’s solid figure separate from Jinki as Onew had done, Caleo’s created a halo of power around him. Yet, even that was similar to Onew. Staring at Jinki was like staring at Jinki and Caleo, Caleo’s form layering over Jinki, his form shimmery and transparent. Caleo’s appearance was a little more similar to Minho’s. His hair was slightly longer, falling to his shoulders in layers of soft curls. On his head was his ever present flower crown. His clothing couldn’t be discern in this state, but the triskelion of Wheph in the middle of his forehead glowing gold just like his eyes was very hard to miss.  

“W–what the is that?!” Kibum screeched.

Onew grinned as he craned his head to look out the window. “Oh, just my mate’s wolf showing off,” he said proudly.

The next few moments passed in a flash and Minho understood why Jinki was the Alpha Prime of Prae. Sure, he was the strongest and the mightiest, but tactically, there were none who could match him.

The specter of Caleo glowed and he and Jinki moved on one accord as he leaned forward and charged forward at the crowd of guards. As he did, Taemin and Taeyeon slammed their hands to the ground. The ground rumbled as if an earthquake had hit and it threw some of the guards off balance. Jinki’s glowing form hit the guards like a bee zipping through a dandelion. The force of his and Caleo’s energy cause guards to fly into the air. As they did, Danye and Iseul smashed two ampoules in their hands as they lifted them above their heads and a red mist caught those in the air and moved them to the far side of the courtyard. The red mist hardened into a wall around them, keeping them imprisoned and away from the fray. With the other guards stunned, the rest of the group engaged, attacking the guards before they could get their barring.

Jinki kept moving forward. Minho lost sight of him as he moved past their range of sight.

Kibum stayed at the window, watching his mate fight, his face drawn tight with worry, but Minho moved to the door as the whooshing sound made by his mate became louder.

 “Uhm,” Onew said as he stared at the door. “Get behind me, Minho.” They must not have moved fast enough because he dragged Minho from the door and shoved him behind him.

The door to the Beam Room was not light. It was made of layer after layer of iron and nothing but the key would allow anyone to enter. Not a second later the heavy iron door that kept them locked up was torn off its hinges, taking chunks of the wall with it and was flung to the side. Jinki stood in front of it, the purple tint still reflecting in his eyes. The guard who was watching the door before was slump up against the opposite wall, his chin against his chest–out cold.

“Minho,” he growled, relief registering on his face. They locked eyes for a second, a moment, and Minho grappled for his chest, finally feeling Jinki’s heart beating alongside his after so long. The moment passed as Jinki’s eyes flashed to Onew’s. “Protect him. We are leaving. If we get separated, keep running. He is your only priority.”

“As if I didn’t know that,” the wolf sneered. Caleo’s form bleed in and out of sight as if he were waiting for the next set of commands. Having both wolves in the room was strange but exhilarating.

“Kibum. You are not the guard’s target; they will not hurt you but stay low and hidden and don’t leave this room. Jonghyun will come for you and he will tell you what to do next.”

The High Steward nodded and moved to the far corner, crouching down and wrapping his hands around his middle, protecting it. “Keep him alive Jinki…Onew. I’m counting on you.”

“I will,” Jinki said over his shoulder.

 “Where are we going?” Minho asked.

Jinki didn’t answer but turned for the door, his body tense, Caleo’s form glowing again, as if he were tensing for Jinki’s next physical command. Onew grunted.

 “Let’s go.”

Minho felt Onew lifting him in his arms and began protesting but the protest died when he felt a rush of energy, joining with and within him, cloaking him. Then they were gone, moving faster than Minho could understand. They flew through the Dongbang Library, the walls blurring as they sped towards the door, Jinki just a step ahead of Onew. They burst through the doors and right back into the fight going on. Minho tried to access the situation as he had done before but he blinked and the courtyard and the fight was in the distance.

“The inner gate is closed,” Onew yelled.

“Up,” Caleo responded.

Jinki nodded. Thankfully, instead of blowing through the horribly patched up gate, which Minho thought would be disastrous for all parties involved, the four of them practically slammed into the wall, using their momentum to climb up it as Caleo had suggested. They dropped onto the other side in between the first and second ring. They continued running, to where, Minho had no idea.

“In front of you,” Caelo said pointing in front of them. A small group of sentry guards appeared. On one hand, Minho was proud of their formation and their dedication to duty, but he could also see the reluctance in their eyes. Minho didn’t want them to get hurt; he didn’t want any of them to get hurt.

He held his hand out and in his mind willed them to move. His mage power reacted to his command, a thick wave of energy flowing from his hands, slinking between the guards formation and expanding, slamming the guards up against the wall. They would wake up with one hell of a headache, but they would be alive. He looked at his hand, amazed.

They raced past the guards and slowed to a stop in front of thee stables. Jinki quickly approached Nightdream and Eclipse’s stalls and ripped the doors off the hinges.

“Caleo, go make sure the front gate is open.”

Minho’s wolf separated from Jinki at Jinki’s command and disappeared in a blink. Moments later he returned, looking satisfied. “Done.”

“Good,” he murmured. “Good. There shouldn’t be an issue until they raise the inner gate. Still, we don’t have much time. Caleo and Onew. Rest. I’ve got it from here.”

Both wolves heeded the command, closed their eyes and faded. Minho felt a surge of energy that he recognized as Onew’s enter his body. It felt good. It felt calm in the middle of pure chaos.

Soon he felt Jinki, solid, and strong and awake, at his side. “Up you go.” Sweat was covering his brow and Jinki looked exhausted. Minho, concerned, reached for him, but Jinki politely knocked his hand away. “Don’t worry about me. We have to leave.” He put his hands under Minho’s foot and lifted him up. Minho swung his leg over Nightdream and secured his foot in the stirrup.

Jinki moved to Eclipse and mounted her before tapping her sides urging her into a sprint. Nightdream took her cue from her older sister and took off after her towards the gate.

Most of the available guard had funneled inside of the Fortress, so there were only a few at the gate once they left the inner rings. Minho was slightly glad to not have much interference, but he also remembered they were at war. They needed to rethink a lot of things. More guards should be at the gates!

You’re still trying to lead Prae as if they aren’t trying to strip your power away from you.

Minho shook his head at Onew’s accusation. They raced along the walls of the Fortress, avoiding the village surrounding it, until they came to the river. From there they rode, hard, the Fortress disappearing in the background. Jinki never looked back but Minho did.

 Yes, because I love Prae. I want to protect Prae...

Because I will be back.

 

 

 

 

You’re tired.

Have I ever told you that you’re incredible perceptive? Jinki snorted. I know I’m tired.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you about the scout who keeps lurking near our tent.

I’m aware.

Jinki stared out of the flaps of the tent at the early morning sky. White and pink clouds feathered across a grey sky as the sun prepared to grace the land with its presence. To the east of them, maybe less than a few miles away, was the large eastern gate into Durkhai. Half of that distance but to their southeast was the scout Caleo mentioned, watching them. Jinki understood. It was the middle of a war and the two of them had set up a tent in the middle of the undulating lands that preceded Durkhai. If he were still the Alpha of Durkhai he would have sent out a scout out to watch them as well.

He heard muffled murmuring somewhere near the vicinity of his shoulder and looked beside him. Minho was curled on his side; his long tanned arm thrown haphazardly across Jinki’s hip and his nose flush against his Jinki’s arm as he slept.

They’d been riding for days–the trip from Prae to Durkhai was about two days in length on horseback. They’d traveled hard along the riverbank to prevent their scent from being easily followed. Eclipse guided her sister, Nightdream during their journey, preventing the younger, faster horse from galloping wildly towards a destination unknown. Luckily, they weren’t followed, which he attributed to Danye and Iseul. They’d both suggested the use of a temporary olfa. Still, the inability for the guards to track them down was inconsequential. He’d have to return at some point. To prepare for that, to prepare for everything, he’d wisely left Jonghyun as the beholder of his plans. What played out in the next day or so would define the rest of his and Minho’s rule.

A bird trilled a song, soft and welcoming and Jinki pushed away the more serious thoughts plaguing his sleep. The desire to enjoy the quiet of the still morning, without battle plans and conspiratorial whispers beckoning him. He wanted to enjoy simply being with Minho after so many days apart from him. Jinki turned towards his and laid a soft kiss over the curls covering his forehead. His mate’s eyes remained closed but he smiled nonetheless and brought his arm tighter around Jinki. His gaze dropped from Minho’s deep auburn tousled hair, to his serene face as he continued counting sheep, and down to his abdomen, bare to him as Minho slept shirtless. He laid a hand on the gentle swell and it was very hard for him to fight the soft smile.

His children.

During his fever dream, he’d felt them reaching out to him in his time of need, supplying him with the love and energy he needed to keep afloat. It was enough to keep him alive, to fight the demons who wanted to take him over. And in the end it was Minho’s love, through Caleo, that had brought him out of the stormy sea and onto dry land, where he could breathe again, where he could see again.

Now, to honor their dedication to his survival, to honor the love he had for their father, he was going to make sure that they and Minho was safe.

Even if it meant never seeing him again.

 

 

The sound of horses pulling up to the tent just after sunrise didn’t surprise Jinki. He had left his plans with Jonghyun after all and it was only a matter of time before those plans began to come to fruition. Gently, he shook Minho awake, watching him scrunch his nose and swat away his hand.

“Still sleepy,” he murmured.

He’s so adorable, Jinki thought, grinning like the luckiest man in the world. “Come on, Min,” he urged gently. “Your mother is here.”

Minho parted open an eye. “My mother?” he repeated groggily and a bit confused.

“Yes. You didn’t think I was going to have you away from Prae, in your condition without her did you?”

Minho blinked both of his eyes open and yawned behind his hand. “My condition? You make it sound like I’m heavy with child,” he said with amusement.

Minho laughed, but they both knew it was a good thing Minho was barely showing considering they had to enter Durkhai today amid rumors that he was pregnant.

The flaps of the tent were pulled back and a blond hair covered head poked inside.

“Up and at it, lovebirds.”

Jinki glanced at Kibum and his huge overly sweet smile, as if he relished in waking them up, and rolled his eyes. Kibum had not been a part of the original group of people he had planned to meet up. His thoughts being that Kibum would be better protected within the walls of Prae and he in no shape, fashion or form wanted to endanger his mate’s best friend. However, that decision had been overruled–Jonghyun, now more protective of Kibum than he’d ever been, practically pleaded with Jinki to get the younger shifter out of Prae. Another head poked into the tent and this time Jinki nodded his head, knowing that their quiet time was truly, truly over.

Jinki bent over and kissed Minho’s temple. “I’ll go speak with the riding party. You get dressed.”

His mate nodded and sat up, stretching, his smile brightening when Kibum slinked into the tent and collapsed beside him in a fluff of fragrance, talking a mile a minute. Jonghyun reached into the tent and helped Jinki to his feet and the both of them walked to where the rest of the riding party sat patiently.

“We waited exactly quarter day after the fighting to leave. With all of the confusion it was easy to slip out. Elder Changmin broke it up with a wave of his hands but issued no sort of punishment for either side. It was almost like he was sending us off to our rooms. He made no mention of your disappearance. He actually seemed to have anticipated the entire thing.”

Jinki had thought of that too. It had been way too easy for him to get his plan through. Kyung forces had seemed smaller than usual–only a fraction of his force. In light of Jinki’s transgression with the help of his Bone Pack and Gikwang’s absence, the command over the Fortress’s Guard fell to the Elder of Prae. It was as if Changmin was…helping them. “I’ll worry about his motivations when I get back.”

 “Where is Taeyeon and my mother’s bodyguard?”

“Oh. Those two,” Jonghyun snickered. Iseul looked at him funny as if she didn’t understand. “They are stationed between Prae’s borders and Durkhai. She is working on permanently erasing Minho’s scent trail with the help of the river. Jackson is standing guard. Once they are done, they will meet us in Durkhai. Most like in two days’ time.”

“Kahi and Julien?”

“Kahi is helping Yejin. You ask the big tall idiot yourself.  Julien is working on something else, he didn’t exactly say. He doesn’t know me all that well so I’m guessing he would be more willing to discuss it with you or Minho? Bah, whatever.” Jonghyun sneered at Julien’s slight. “The bright side of this is we can enter Durkhai under the cover of having to half of the Black Flame into Durkhai.  As Minho had set up, I left the other half in Prae. Yixing has control.”

“Good,” Jinki said as he walked up to the group. In all there were about seventy-five people, most of them the Black Flame Jonghyun had mentioned. Traveling with the impressive group was Danye and Iseul. Iseul dismounted her horse, met him halfway and enveloped him a tight hug.

“I’m so glad you are okay,” she murmured as she kissed both of his cheeks, making him laugh. She continued to pepper his face with smooches until he was laughing. “Mom,” he whined under his breath. “You’re making me look like a big softy.”

She pulled a face but couldn’t resist kissing the crown of his head before she let him go. “How is Minho?” she asked, standing on her tippy-toes to look over her son’s shoulder. “I know your ride here was hard. I hope you allowed him adequate rest?” she finished with a raised brow. Danye was now by the tent, looking in on her son, speaking softly so Jinki couldn’t make out what she was saying.

“He’s had rest but not enough. I’m hoping he can find it in Durkhai.”

Iseul nodded. “Xiah will keep him safe. Prae cares too much about things that don’t matter. Durkhai cares about strength. Minho has demonstrated that time and time again, in my humble opinion, and I’m praying that is enough to sweep this under the rug. What is your plan–outside of having us meet you here?”

“I’m not quite sure yet, to be honest. I need to test the temperature in Durkhai first. As of now, we’ll enter the village as an to Dinfire’s Black Flame.” He turned to Jonghyun. “Are they aware?

“Minho had us send coorespondance a few days ago. So they know that we were considering sending them here to hold the line between them and Iutus but it wasn’t confirmed. This will be a tad bit of a surprise…” Jonghyun replied.

“Very well.” Jinki fisted his hands on his hips and looked back at his home village over his shoulder. “Let’s get to it then.”

 

 

When they reached the halfway point between the spot they’d spent the night and the large eastern gate, the scout finally decided to approach them. As the tall, lanky, shifty-eyed figure closed in on them, it turned out that the scout wasn’t really a scout at all–regardless if that’s what Xiah sent him out there to be.

“Jaekyung,” he groaned.  

Jaekyung was a shifter who had risen through the ranks of Durkhai despite being a fox. Flashbacks of his quick tongue came back as he reached the group, his lips flapping a mile a minute, most of it high-pitched and sugar laced in regards to Jinki’s surprise visit. Jaekyung did have the gift of sly gab. Many valued him for his quick thinking, but being a fox shifter meant that Jaekyung was…sneaky. He’d never done anything to Jinki personally, but there had been a few encounters between him and his–

“And you brought along your lovely mother! What a darling, delicious surprise!” Jaekyung said his horse munched on grass lazily. “Xiah told us of you being alive and all and I must say, Iseul, it was such a blessing to hear such good good news from our Alpha!” Iseul answered him with a short smile before turning her nose up at him and looking towards the woods. Guess she wasn’t over Jaekyung suggestion, rather loudly at a meeting, that Iseul bring along her jackal friend to the next hunt. Considering there were suggestions that Iseul had taken a jackal as a lover while still being mated to Yoon…it wasn’t the friendliest of invitations. Jaekyung, not one to let such things get to him, took her snub in stride. “I’ll be happy to lead you into the village,” he announced, looking over Jinki’s shoulder at the others in the riding party. “I just don’t know who exactly I’m leading? Those figures in black look unsavory.”

One of the Black Flames snarled at him and Jaekyung clutched his reigns to his chest.

“I vouch for them. Xiah knows of their arrival to the village. If you could just…” Jinki’s words trailed off as he waved towards the gate. “We are at war and I would like to be within the village as soon as possible.”

“Of course, of course. This way.”

 

Durkhai was a lot calmer than Jinki expected. He’d half expected chaos, people running to prepare for an impeding battle, the scent of charcoal and sulfur in the air. Nothing of the sort. It was as if war had not been declared in Prae. The ease at which they were in both pleased Jinki and made him dually anxious. Durkhai was strong, but over confidence in their strength could lead to defeat and a key for Iutus to take the west.

He would bring that up when he found Xiah. The party made their way down the main thoroughfare towards the destination of Xiah’s hut and a few poked their heads out at the commotion. The moment someone recognized Jinki, the calm exploded. A merchant climbed to the top of his shop, his feet angled against the black slates off his roof, his hand curved around his mouth. “Jinki has returned! Jinki has returned!”

In Durkhai, most Alphas didn’t “leave.” They were usually defeated by the next Alpha in old age, and at that point the thought of leaving was a physical impossibility. Yet, in the last few months, the villagers had seen the return of not one, but two former Alphas. Thunder obviously didn’t count as far as legacies went.

People flooded the streets, their faces a collection of joviality and surprise. The cheers and calls were loud as they greeted Jinki and his party. They had not made it far, not with people impeding their progress by coming up to him and trying to greet him personally, offering gifts from their shops and food from their stores, when the loud chime of a gong announced Xiah’s entrance. The people dutifully cleared the street, allowing for Xiah’s sizable party to make its way towards them. The Elders walked the front of the procession, their white robes dragging along the dirt path. They were followed by a row of Toleran tributes who had not yet been mated, their bodies covered from head to toe. Mounted on his choice of ride during both of his reigns as Alpha, a bear the color of bark named Jasvin, was Xiah.  Jinki was uncommonly nervous to see his father, almost expecting a reprimand for showing up unannounced during wartime but Xiah was nothing smiles. Although, it had to be noted that a lot of it, if not all of it, was directed at Iseul. It made sense his father was much more occupied with his mate, than his adopted son but Jinki still had a few in Xiah’s party happy to see him. Taecyeon, Junho, Wooyoung and Changsung made up his father’s personal pack.

“You’re still as much of a runt as ever, eh, Jinki?” Junho said, his smile slanted and playful.

“And you’re still a whoreson! That’s never going to change!” Jinki threw back.

Junho’s laugh was loud and warm, taking over his entire face. It was funny, at least to the two of them because Junho’s mother had been a , one of the best and most beloved in Durkhai. She’d earned great power and stature while she was alive. She was also the shifter Jinki had personally lost his ity too at, Junho’s urging. He’d said. “Having your money put food on my table is more than I could wish for, seeing as you couldn’t get laid otherwise.”

Changsung the youngest, looked at them, in the painful, almost disapproving way he was want to look at them. “Must you two always talk like that? Can’t you for once recognize he is our Alpha Prime?”

“He’s got a point, Wooyoung offered lazily, a twig of licorice root between his teeth.

“Come off of it, Changsung,” Taecyeon supplied. As always he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Jinki wasn’t even sure he owned shirts. “Stop being such a little nag.”

Changsung scrunched his face at him before rolling his eyes. 

Xiah laughed at their antics. “I knew you were going to send an ambassador during these difficult times but I didn’t know you were coming yourself, Jinki. And with company?” Xiah stated as he eyed the rows of black garbed soldiers at the rear of his party. His head slanted in a way that meant he wanted an explanation.

“I didn’t have much of a choice.” He edged his horse closer to Xiah’s. “The truth is I didn’t come this far for a friendly visit, nor as an Ambassador. I need to speak with you, immediate–“

“Well! If it isn’t Jinki!”

Jinki knew the voice and cursed inwardly. He looked off to the right and held his head up higher. “Thunder,” he said with thin civility. “I completely forgot that you were still here. As a VENIAT general, correct?”

“Aye,” the white haired Alpha said as he sauntered down the space in front of where the villagers had crowded. “We were discussing battle plans before your…spontaneous arrival. What,” and his grin grew wider, “prey tell, brings you here in the middle of war time? That job falls to a battle-ambassador. Must be dire.”

“Thunder just returned late last night,” Xiah explained as the younger man came to a stop between the two parties. “Far earlier than I expected, too.”

“The situation shifted slightly and my plans changed,” Thunder replied, his grin still intact. His gaze shifted from Jinki to Minho. “Ah. I see you brought your mate as well. How’s he doing…with his condition and all?” He gaze dropped and lingered to Minho’s middle for a long moment before he chuckled.

Just that quick, Thunder crossed from shaky ally to potential enemy. It took everything in him not to bare his fangs, jump from his horse and rip his throat out in front of everyone present. Caleo urged him on, far quieter than Onew would but it was encouragement all the same. Yet it was Minho’s calming hand–it was always Minho’s calming hand–placed on the small of his back that stopped his rage. When Jinki looked back, Minho shook his head, almost minutely, and the look in his eyes was a reminder that this wasn’t the place.

It was all for naught anyways. Thunder’s words had their effect. Despite them keeping their composure and thus not betraying the truth through emotions, the Durkhai villagers began to murmur amongst themselves, Thunder’s words reminding them of something they forgot in their excitement. Dark, suspicious eyes were shifted at Minho.

Jinki wanted Minho out of the marketplace immediately.

Xiah seemed to agree. He turned to his pack leader, Junho, who understood the silent command. The four of Xiah’s pack moved forward, completing a half circuit around Jinki’s party until they were flank on each side of the Alpha Beta. Xiah, knowing this move would alarm the villagers, turned to them with a smile.

“Durkhai! Our esteemed guest, as you already know, is a former Alpha of Durkhai. For that we will have a feast to celebrate! Let us fill out bellies for hard times lay ahead of us! How does that sound?!”

It was a cheap distraction, but a good one. The atmosphere shifted and soon the feast was the topic of excited murmuring.

“Changsung? Go find me Osiri and tell him he has a feast to put together. Apologize for me for springing a last minute celebration on him, hm?” Changsung took off, probably more excited about the feast than Osiri would be. The young Alpha did like to cook. “Follow me,” Xiah murmured to Jinki as he turned his horse and led back towards his hut. As they passed Thunder, he jerked his head in the direction they were going. “You, too.”

 

 

Jinki was familiar with Xiah’s hut. After all, he’d visited many times in his youth and lived there himself for a few decades. He wasn’t a very visual man, so when he took over the hut in Xiah’s absence, he had done little to change its appearance other than a small painting of his mother near his desk. The hut, like most Alpha’s huts, barring Wheph’s, was huge. It was three levels, with a vast open center. Two sets of stairs led to the second, where a balcony looked down on to the first floor. The third was an observatory room and personal office for the Alpha owner. It had plenty of sleeping quarters on the second floor, a large kitchen, living area but most of the first floor was meeting space.

It seemed as if they were heading straight for it–in the center of the hut was a large table with a set of three rows of chairs around it. They couldn’t have the conversation there. Jinki had no desire to explain anything with Thunder in earshot. But Xiah was smart. He dragged him and Minho up the stairs and into an empty bedroom.

“Okay, what the is going on?” he hissed the moment the door was closed.

Jinki pinched the bridge of his nose as Xiah paced back and forth in front of his bedroom desk. “You’ve heard the rumors, correct?”

“It’s almost impossible not to hear them! It took an entire day to calm the people down!”

“Yeah,” Jinki murmured. “That sounds about right.” He sighed. “Minho was arrested in Prae for high treason.”

That stopped Xiah in his tracks. “High treason?” he whispered harshly. “The only person who has the power to do that is Changmin.”

“He’s bound by laws, I don’t hold it against him, “Minho said calmly, his voice even and sure. “I blame Gikwang, Prae’s High Eunuch. He has gone missing and I am sure he is the one who told those who attacked us about my secret room.”

“Gikwang?” Xiah’s eyes darted left and right. “That name sounds familiar…wait! Yes! Yes. Thunder brought him here last night. They were originally supposed to do a land survey between here and Wheph so we could be better equipped for plans, but he showed up, less his First–Mir–and with the short Omega in tow. He has him locked up in his quarters. I didn’t know he was THE High Eunuch of Prae.”

Minho narrowed his eyes. “You mean, Thunder, Jinki’s half-brother is here with a man who more than likely planned a small scale coup?”

“Aye.” Xiah turned towards Minho and Jinki, his face drawn tight in contemplation. “Is there a way to prove he did it? Or that Thunder is connected to it?”

Jinki gnashed his teeth. “No,” he uttered, lowly. “Only hearsay and circumstantial evidence.”

Xiah’s shoulders deflated. “Then as of right now, you’ll have to temper Thunder’s presence. I’ll try to keep you apart. Trust me when I say I understand that bull he pulled out there. I’ll speak to him about that on the morrow.  How long are you staying?”

“Me, I’m not staying long. Xiah, I ask you this humbly, but is this a safe place for Minho to be for the time being?”

“Of course,” Xiah answered with conviction. “But you’ll need to figure something out and fast. These rumors will boil over eventually and they will want Minho to answer for these accusations …or make the accusations go away.”

Jinki looked out of the window. “I’m working on it.”

 

 

Even though he was a guest, Jinki didn’t find it necessary for those who served Xiah to serve him. He could get his own food, seek out clothing for Minho and himself, and get wood for his own fireplace in the room.

He grew up here, this was his home. He knew every path and every backroad. He knew how to get from one end of the village to the other in record speed. He knew the hustle and bustle of Durkhai’s marketplace–when they opened, when they closed, who ran the best bargains but who also had the finest quality goods. His mate, currently wandering around with Kibum and Jonghyun wasn’t as familiar but Jonghyun would be a good guide after his frequent visits to the village.

He wanted to get Minho something special, maybe something to distract him from the tumultuous news circling his head like vultures. Maybe a bracelet or a parcel of books to keep him busy until Jinki could bring him back to Prae. Both sounded like a better idea. He stopped by a jeweler and make quick work out of nabbing two matching silver link bracelets. Now that that was done, the hard part came. How many times had he caught his mate hidden away in some corner, his nose in a book, the world narrowed down to the lines on the page? More times than he could count. He made his was across the market to the book seller, an elderly man by the name of Zeneth, who had been selling books since Jinki was a child. Upon seeing him, the old man’s face lit up like a firefly.

“My word, if it isn’t our lord returned to us! How are you young man?”

Jinki inhaled and gave the older shifter a light smile. “It’s good to smell the cedar in the air. Have you guys shifted from oak to cedar chips already?”

“The height of summer is near, my lord,” he returned gaily. “No time is better than the burning of cedar! It’ll bring us good fortune as we celebrate your glorious return tonight! To think, both you and Lord Xiah here at the same time. Blessing are abundant, are they not?”

“Let us pray they remain abundant, eh?”

“Yes, indeed. What’cha looking for today?”

“A book or two for my mate. Maybe something full of love stories or something…political? A philosopher. He likes those.”

Zeneth walked to the door of his shop and showed him in with a wave of his hand. “I tend to bring my sellables out for the day, but there are some fine, fine selection inside. Take your time.”

He thanked him with a firm clap on the shoulder before walking deeper into the cool shop. A few other patrons were inside, some of the wealthier members of Durkhai, who greeted him with a slight bow as they continued to browse. Wanting to hurry up so he could meet his mate and friends across the village, Jinki began thumbing through the selections, eager to find one that would put a big smile on Minho’s face.

“If you’re looking for a good one, I would recommend Petrus Ramus, a Beta from the land of France.” A hand reached over Jinki’s shoulder and plucked a book from the shelf. “Far far from here. Their customs are a bit queer but his concepts are one of a kind. I’m sure you would enjoy it.”

Jinki turned towards the person, but he’d already picked up their scent. “I thank you for the suggestion, Jaekyung.” He took the book and placed it back on the shelf.  Instead he grabbed a book entitled “The Prince.” He waved it in the air. “It’s not for me. I believe my mate would be more entertained by the writings Machiavelli.”

Jaekyung’s face lit up. “So you are aware of foreign philosophy and politics! How delightful!”

“I’d be an idiot not to,” Jinki returned.

“Very good! I do, perhaps, have a bit of philosophy and politics I wanted to discuss with you if you’d be so kind to lend me your ear for a moment.”

Jinki kept his groan from bubbling to the top. “Yes?” he answered civilly, although he could give a rat’s what Jaekyung thought about philosophy or politics.

Jaekyung looked left and then right before he grabbed Jinki by the arm and pulled him deeper into Zeneth’s shop. He looked again before he took a step closer to Jinki. “Everyone knows, my lord.”

Jinki decided to play stupid. “Everyone knows what?” he said, his tone hard and edging towards hostile.

“I’m not going to do you or your mate the disservice of repeating that sort of information in public. However, you know what I speak of.”

“The rumors?” Jinki chuckled. “Why should I concern myself with rumors? It would be wise if you did the same.” Jinki turned, finding he herculean task of not slapping Jaekyung into the bookshelf, hard.

“A word of wisdom, then?”

Jinki sighed loudly. “Yes?”

“The people here love you, unconditionally, however that only applies to you. Not to your mother, not your friends, not your unborn child,” he whispered, “and not your mate. They only know you, and love you. They respect you. They trust you to lead Prae out of this war, to utilize our resources to the best of your ability. They’ll follow you into war because they love you. You know damned well this village holds little regard for Wheph as a fighting village. They have no faith in Minho.”

Jinki was losing his patience. “What is your point, fox?” he snarled.

“Just this: dispose of him. You’re free to keep him at you side because I can tell, we all can tell, you care for him substantially. It’s written all of your face. Yet, show the people that you do not bend to the will of the Gods, ones who would pair you with someone as irenic as Minho.”

“You don’t know anything about my mate. Not one damn thing,” Jinki said between clenched teeth.

“I don’t have to. It’s what his reputation is. Amongst people, isn’t it your reputation which becomes the truth?” Jaekyung took a step closer. “You want to make this go away? Then take Thunder as your mate.”

Jinki reeled back in complete disgust and revulsion. “He’s my brother, you fool!

Jaekyung rolled his eyes. “Your half-brother. Your non-blood half-brother. Your non-blood half-brother that you barely know. It’s not uncommon; Mott Argan is known to do it on occasion. Probably because they can’t tell sibling from stranger from time to time. This isn’t a love story, my lord. This is a political arrangement that isn’t working out for your legacy. We are at war. Who better to have on your side, to unite the people to your cause, than to have the son of your enemy in your bed, at your side?”

Jinki’s lip curled. “I don’t know what kind of sickness is rotting around in your head but don’t you ever, ever in your life approach me with this bull again.” He shouldered past Jaekyung, making sure to bump him hard with his shoulder, satisfied when the fox slammed into the bookshelf. “And another thing. If you want to live to an old age, fox, keep my mate’s name out of your mouth. I have no problem skinning you alive and wearing your pelt to dinner.”