infiltrate

h a l l o w

 

 

 

Edison was not a patient man. He didn’t feel he had to be. He was also kind of an but being nice was not a thing Edison felt he had to be, either. Edison felt he needed to be a leader, to do what was best for his people. His philosophy was in order to protect his people, he needed to be at his strongest. Wealth was equivalent to power, power was equivalent to strength. The richer he was, the richer his people would be.

It was exactly the reason why he was their leader. He had brought Old Se’hai onto the path of the new Prae, he alone aligned them with the five clans, and he alone was the only one smart enough to barter that ridiculous effectual treaty with Leehom.

And he was the only smart enough to realize an easy exit to it when it no longer served him.

Yoon, a scoundrel really in the eyes of the Old Se’haian court, stood before him. His savage friend, leader of the Blue Crescents, stood next to him, waiting for him. To do what? Edison didn’t know. If it was to respond to that letter, they’d be waiting for quite some time.

His head Advisor, Vivo, stood one step below his stone throne platform, the letter his son sent him cradled on top of a silver platter. Silver. Just like the silver spoon he’d slipped in his son’s mouth, only for him to spit it back out.

“My lord, it has been over a week,” Vivo said, his silvery but worried tones echoing in the large throne room. “As your heir–“

“Who said he couldn’t come back? Has he done something that would require permission to come back here? Oh! That’s right,” Edison yelled as poked a finger in Vivo’s direction. “He mated with someone else without my leave. Tell me, Vivo, how often do I suffer this sort of behavior?”

Vivo’s head lowered minutely. “Not often, my lord.” He turned and placed the platter down. “Yet, your council has accepted it. To go against the council–“

Edison waved his hands. “They have nothing to fear. Zitao is still my heir. You run and tell them that, as well as demand they find me more resources,” he looked over at Yoon and Toggo, “I don’t want to keep my guest waiting all day. Your update?”

Yoon took the cue and walked closer to the leader of Old Se’hai, stopping on the bottom step. “As of now your treaty is still intact. I could not convince Leehom to join our cause. I was thinking…maybe something of a monetary persuasion could help.”

Edison pinched his face. “And why would I want to do that?”

Toggo frowned. “Because…having Mott Argan’s manpower at our backs would do wonders for our campaign.”

“Mott Argan’s did not going to concede to your sweet words of friendship, nor are they going to be swayed by money. They’ll respond to the cool edge of a sword.”

Yoon pinched the bridge of his nose. “They will not come easily. Leehom is apathetic to war and Yifan hold unquestionable loyalty to Prae, especially now with his mating complete with who, might I add, holds considerable power in Dinfire and now in the Fortress. Zhang Yixing not only was his First, but the General to Jonghyun’s entire Black Flame, Dinfire’s strongest military contingency. Attacking his mate’s clan will bring Dinfire onto of our heads.”

Edison grinned. “Let them. The army I’ve allowed you to build is vast, the Blue Crescents are the most formidable mercenary group in all of Prae and we have The Den on our side.”

“I’ve also been able to connect with some smaller militias out of Ves,” Toggo pointed out, pacing back and forth. “Small but deadly. Feral wolves hold allegiance to no one as long as they can fight.” Toggo stopped and Edison stared at him. He didn’t like Toggo. Yoon was a reasonable strategist, but Toggo was smarter, sneakier. Toggo wanted the same position he desired. Edison chuckled internally. He won’t get it

“And that brings me to my request of the day,” Toggo said, taking a step towards Edison. “I need more money.”

Edison snorted. “Of course you do. For what?”

“I want to travel to Rhyna Ghali. Sangre, specifically.”

Edison’s face hardened over and Yoon looked like he’d just swallowed his tongue. “I’m sorry,” Yoon said, trying to speak over his disbelief. “You want to travel where?”

“Sangre–the Shadowlands...”

“I know where ing Sangre is but you can’t possibly be about to say what I think you’re going to say. Those animals, those beasts are uncontrollable! They answer to nothing but bloodlust, a bloodlust we cannot offer! I would rather a wolf die before they be turned into one of those–those–those–“

“Vampyres,“ Edison finished for him. “And no. The answer is no. They are uncontrollable.”

Toggo shook his head. “We can lure the Hunters in; they are the best equipped at dealing with Vampyres, although it will be hard. They keep to themselves and will only comply with something beneficial to them. If not, we have Domonkos–he’s a 7th Order Dark Mage, the highest of all Dark Mages, actually. Vampyres are simple creatures and he has shown me his complete control over them.”

Edison leaned forward. “He’s going to have to show it to me as well.” Edison sighed back into his seat. He was beginning to get a headache, the pain pulsing right over his eye. “You’re first plan of attack is Mott Argan, am I correct?”

“Not quite,” Yoon said, taking over.

Edison’s face showed no surprised or annoyance, although he felt it. Their last discussion picked Mott Argan as the focal attack point. Sighing, “Then where.”

Yoon smile was slow, irritatingly slow, but confident. “To get to the heart of a beast, you must cut it open. You lure it out, strangle its defenses and you stick your knife into its soul. Mott Argan is the lure, The Fortress is the target…The Magnus Couple is the prize

Edison frowned.

“A war inside and a war out,” Yoon said, lowly, almost growling. “That is how we make Prae ours.”

 

 

 

 

(Four months later)

 

Minho laid in their bed, shirtless, looking down at the slight swell in his abdomen.

He was with child.

He had to tell himself, remind himself every day that he, someone who never dreamed of it, who never thought it was possible…

Jinki had his head on Minho’s lap, a small hand drawn map of Prae in his hands.

Without hesitation all of the clans in Prae had signed their new treaty, even Toleran. Other settlements, such as Lark’s Nest had acknowledge the treaty and Minho knew it would be only a matter of time before Ambassador Liu would convinced them to put their signature to paper. As they reached out to clans beyond their borders it was there hope that they would find themselves with a larger territory, one that the Blue Crescents and those that supported them couldn’t combat.

They had placed small forces in each village that had signed the treaty. It was far easier to watch for any discontent. So far, there had only been small disputes–mainly from outlier clan families, ones that, in the past, had never bothered them. It was strange but war brought weird things. However with Prae’s armies in place, the fires were put out before they could grow deadly.   

The one thing that had stumped them was the quietness of the Blue Crescents. They knew, without a doubt that they were the ones to declare war on Prae. Yet, from their intel, there was another group causing havoc– Iustus. Zitao claims they are connected to Ole Se’hai. Of course, Edison denied it, saying they were merely merchants; Prae had no jurisdiction meddling in their books. They split their focus between watching the faint movement of the Blue Crescents and finding a way to learn more about Iustus.

“What are you thinking about?”

Minho looked down at Jinki. He’d abandoned the map and tilted his head towards him. His words were soft and so was the look in his eyes.

“I’m thinking of a lot of things.”

“Are any of them me?”

Minho smiled. “You are always on my mind, so even when I’m not, I am.”

“If it’s not me, then what is it?”

The war was a bothersome and frequent subject and he was tired of talking about it ad nauseam. But it was a distraction. A distraction he needed.

“I’m starting to show,” he said quietly.” His hand travelled over the swell in his stomach. “This morning, I noticed during my bath. It’s...” Minho broke off and closed his eyes.

There were so many consequences to this. Despite the unfathomable joy both he and Jinki felt, there were so so many consequences. If Minho had been worried about his true makeup being discovered before, he was deathly afraid of what would happen if his pregnancy was discovered.

 The laws had not changed. Minho was still living a largely illegal lifestyle–the prophecy could not save him from his lies, if so The Oracles would have revealed it, despite Jinki’s threats.  The crime? Treason against Prae, against his Alpha, against nature. Jinki could scream and claw and fight against it, but it would never change what Minho had done. He was sure they would let their child live, but they would never be recognized as Jinki’s legacy, they would be considered a bastard, to be shunned and held beneath the boot of ridicule for their entire lives.

He didn’t want that for his child. The fear that welled up in him when he thought about his family suffering because of him caused him to tremble.

Jinki’s hand traveled up his leg, over his hip and up his stomach to cover Minho’s. Jinki must have been able to feel the tremors in his hand because he closed his eyes and tapped into their bond, sending out as much soothing energy as he could.
“We will think of something, my love. We will.”

Minho bit his bottom lip to keep the tears prickling at the corners of his eyes at bay. “I can’t hide this forever.”

Iseul and Dannie thought he should leave Prae all together, which he couldn’t. They were at war and Minho was Prae’s AlphaBeta. His presence was noted and so would his absence. Dannie had been adamant that his decision was foolish, almost to the point of anger. She told him, yelled at him, that his duty to Prae was to protect it, yes, but it was also his survival. It was better for him to leave than die for Prae’s archaic laws.

He appreciated her concern, but she was wrong. Although he couldn’t follow her suggestions, he was thankful, as strange as it was, for her presence. She was a conundrum–the woman, once a stranger, now an ever presence in his life, was more concerned with Minho than he thought was normal.

“Have you spoken to Dannie,” Jinki asked, a little uneasily. Jinki always spoke of Dannie, uneasily. Even when he’d formally introduced them. He told him she was a mage from Toleran and that was it. “If she wants to tell you more, she will. I won’t tell her story,” he’d said, his tone almost nasty. Dannie rolled her eyes and shoved a sandwich she’d made in Jinki’s face and that was the end of learning anything about her.

“Not since her last visit. She keeps asking me to leave, which I refuse to do, of course. Her and your mother did offer up the solution. I don’t like it…but it might work…”

Jinki’s brow rose. His mother hadn’t said anything to him.

“You’ll have to take an Omega lover,” Minho announced quietly.

Jinki’s hand left him and the soothing pulses of his power retracted and suddenly Minho felt cold. “I’m not doing that. I promised you I would not take another lover and I will honor that. I don’t want another, I just want you.”

Minho rolled his eyes, a faint smile across his lips. “Jinki, your vows…I… ”Minho paused and reached for Jinki’s hand, the warmth radiating over his skin again when their hands connected. “Put your promises to me aside.” He pulled softly against Jinki, drawing him closer. Jinki moved at Minho’s soft, silent command, hovering over him, bracing his legs on either side of his before straddling his legs and looking into his eyes. Their hands found each other’s, lacing together. “This isn’t about want or desire. I want to grow old with you, Jinki. I want to walk hand and hand with you into the eternal caves. I want to live my life at your side. I love you.”

Jinki raised Minho’s hand and kissed him across his knuckles. “And I, you.”

“I know…and that’s why you must take a lover. You must lay with her.”

“No…”

Minho shook his head. “Pregnancy doesn’t have to happen but she must carry your scent and she has to be recognized as a flesh tribute. You’ll have to lay with her for that to happen. I don’t care. As long as they believe that our child came from her womb. I…” Minho’s mind began to work as Iseul’s and Dannie’s solution started to make sense. “I can make myself scarce. Maybe spend a few months in Wheph? As long as you stay here and I stay there, as long as I’m still in Prae, as long as people know I’m still in Prae–“

“I don’t want to be like my father,” Jinki admitted quietly.

Minho frowned at the admission. “You’re nothing like you’re father. You’ll be doing the right thing which is something Yoon never understood. You are a good man, Jinki. You are not your father,” he repeated.

Jinki shook his head stubbornly. “No.”  He then brought both of Minho’s hands to his forehead. “I don’t want to be apart from you.”

“It’s a three day ride. You can come visit. But you have to stay here…with your Omega.”

“You are my Omega, and you are carrying my child.”

“Search your mind, Jinki. Can you come up with a better solution than this?” Minho released Jinki’s hands, only to cradle his head between his hands, his thumbs caressing his cheek. “It’s only one night.”

Jinki blinked up at him and Minho could see the war behind his eyes. Durhkaians took their vows very seriously and he could see how conflicted Jinki was over this. Minho would help him. He would help him put his feelings aside and he would help him make the right decision.

“Do it for me. Do it for the child that lies within me. Protect us, Jinki.”

Jinki rushed forward and threw his hands around Minho’s neck, resting in his favorite spot–the warmth of his neck. “I don’t want to do this,” he groaned. “But–“

“It’s the only way,” Minho said, his voice heavy with finality. “Plus, it would be selfish to keep you all to myself. I’m sure with my tutelage, you’ve become the most perfect of lovers.

Jinki pulled back and looked at him. The conflict in his eyes was beginning to morph into something else. “Oh, is that right? Because of you?” His hands traveled down Minho’s sides to the strings holding his pants up above his hips. “

“Of course,” Minho whined, wanting Jinki his hand up on the path it was on. “You were so clumsy when we met, now look at you.”

“You are my better half.” Jinki paused with his fingers playing with the hem of Minho’s pants. “I’ll do anything to protect you. Anything,” he whispered as he began to nibble along Minho’s chin. “Anything.”

Minho sunk his hands in Jinki’s hair and moaned as his hand slipped under the waistband of his pants and between his legs. “I know.”

 

 

 

 

Tonight was the night.

 “Are you okay with this decision?”

Minho looked up from the list of names Kibum had reluctantly handed to him last week from the High Eunuch. They had opted out of choosing anyone from Prae so high born Omegas had been looked at from the neighboring clans. The first was a village named Tyn, a tropical swampy region far south of them. Victoria had offered a few from Celon, a sister village of Mthunzi. Julien had suggested his younger cousin Inoue–she lacked ambition and was a little dull headed and according to him, the perfect candidate. She was ultimately turned down because the High Eunuch did not want to involve Minho’s extended family into this situation, a decision Minho agreed with.

In the end they’d chosen an Omega from Duphra Woods by the name of Yejin, considered a Princess by her clan of Vampyre hunters that lied outside of Rhyna Ghali. No one in Prae dealt with the Vampyre clans–they had enough problems with shifters– but it was well known that the Duphra Woods hunters were the reason that none had ever ventured into Prae.

Rhyna Ghali was a very wild and unpredictable place, but they and the surrounding clans were so far removed from Prae politics that picking someone from there would eliminate anyone who cared about Prae politics, the High Eunuch had said as he delivered his final choice.

Anyone from Rhyna Ghali seemed like a perfect choice. Although the clan collective was a very wild and unpredictable place, they were so far removed from Prae politics that picking someone from there would eliminate anyone who would even care about Prae Politics. Yejin was a perfect candidate as well. Her bloodline was prestigious despite her village’s meager wealth. They were fighters, trained from birth and remained hunters until they died. From the stories Minho had heard of Vampyres, keeping them contained required lifelong servitude to their destruction.

Plus, he heard she was beautiful.

So to answer Dannie’s question, yes, he was okay with the decision.

Minho rolled his eyes. But no, he didn’t like it.


“She seems very suitable. She has her own power back in Rhyna Ghali and a connection to Prae would boost it there. Even if the goal wasn’t for her to conceive, her title as a flesh tribute would settle another alliance. The more alliances, the better.”  Minho looked away. “She’ll be here soon and then…”

Dannie came into the room and took a seat next to him. By this time, even though her constant, almost smothering presence always rang strange to him, he began to get used to it, the feeling almost warm and motherly. Familiar. Dannie felt familiar.

“It’s the only way,” she murmured as she tucked an errant strand of hair behind his ear.

Minho nodded and slid the paper away from him, tired of looking at it.  He didn’t want to talk about it any longer. So instead, he turned to Dannie.

She was a very pretty woman, lovely tanned skin, bright red hair, almost the same color of Minjung’s. They favored slightly because of it but Dannie lacked the fire that Minjung had in her eyes.  Something sad reflected back in her brown eyes. It was one of the things that made Minho trust her.

“You’re from Toleran, like Jinki’s mother?”

Dannie smiled warmly. “We practically grew up together.”

“So you can do that mage thing like Taemin and Taeyeon?”

“The mage thing,” Dannie chuckled. “Yeah, I can. I’m an Alpha magi, so I’m not as strong as them and definitely not as strong as Issie. In Toleran, Omega magi are stronger than Alpha magi. She’s amazingly strong but still I know my way around a spell or two. I can kick Iseul’s , so it makes us even.”

“Don’t let her hear you say that,” Minho said, laughing. ”She and Kibum have been arguing for weeks but it was especially nasty this morning. It was about the baby.  Kibum wants to commission a new house built for me in Wheph, while Iseul thinks Dinfire would be better for some odd reason. Everyone seems excited…”

“Are you not?” Dannie asked, tilting her head to look at him.

“I think I’ve been more trouble to Prae than I’m worth.”

“And,” Dannie said she tapped the bottom of his chin, “I don’t have to tell you that is a lie, right?”

Minho sighed. “I’m just thankful I mated into a family that cares so much, to a man who cares so much. It was well within his rights to cast me aside when he found out but…he cared... This child will be such a joy. I sometimes wish my family was alive to see it. To see my father’s eyes light up or see the joy in my sister’s eyes. Even my mother.” Minho turned to Dannie, not understand why he felt comfortable enough with her to speak on this. “She had the longest hair imaginable. It almost swept the floor when she walked.  And my father, he would get this look in his eyes when she would practice something she called tai-chi. He said she looked like an angel.”

“You don’t remember what she looked like, do you?”

“I remember her smile…faintly. I feel like such a terrible son, to not remember my mother’s face.”

A look flashed across Dannie’s eyes and she looked away, her gaze now out of the window. “How was it…you know, being without her?”

Minho deflated a bit, sagging in his chair. “Hard. Others had mothers and I didn’t. It would make me mad sometimes because the villagers were so quick to remind Father he needed to pick another mate. He always refused. That’s how I knew Father loved her more than anything. It became bearable after a while. Minjung was the best, she really was. But then–they were all gone. Those years were the hardest, having to assume responsibility for a village, by myself. Keeping my status hidden, those damned Blue Crescents. If it weren't for Siwon…I don’t know what I would have done.”

“So you felt alone?”

Minho’s smile felt heavy, like he was tired of keeping it in place. “You could say that.”

Dannie reached for his hand, craning open to say something when the door to the room opened, banging back against the wall. Iseul and Kibum flooded into the Jinki and Minho’s Magnus Suite, both holding a piece of fabric.

“Minho, solve this for us, would you? Kibum wants to decorate the baby’s room in lavender,” Iseul said, glaring at Kibum’s swatch of fabric, “but think about this,” Iseul said as she shoved her piece of fabric towards Minho. “Vermillion.”

“It’s a child’s bedroom, not a war council chamber, Iseul.”

“Red is the color of love.”

“Blood is also red. Lavender is soft and comforting and if the child is going to have a grandmother like you, he’ll need all the calm and comfort he can get.”

Iseul gasped, her fabric bunching up in her hands. “You take that back, you son of a toad!”

“Salamander,” Kibum intoned, one brow raised and a hand on his hips. “Get it right.”

Iseul snarled at Kibum, parted obviously to rip Kibum a new one when she glanced over to Minho. “Are we interrupting something?” Her gaze dropping to his and Dannie’s joined hands. “Oh, hell, we are.”

Minho chuckled. “No…I was just telling Dannie about my mother.”

“O–-oh, oh!” Iseul said, her face red and her brows almost to her hairline. “Your mother! Wow.  That’s–thats...” She stopped and spun on her heels towards Kibum. “Well…we should go, then, right, Kibummie?”

“Don’t…EVER, call me that again,” Kibum said, his features pinched. “And yes, let’s go,” he agreed, his eyes narrowed and pointed in Dannie’s direction. “Hopefully, someone will have the courage to–“

“Okay! Well, that was nice!” Dannie said, standing, her smile bright and creepily wide. “I’m going to go get Minho something to drink. You’re thirsty, right? Right.” She sped for the door, her red hair fluttering behind her.

“Before you go, Dannie, there is something I would like to say about Minho’s mother,” Iseul said, eyeing her.

“You knew my mother?”

Iseul smiled. “I knew a lot of people in Prae.” She placed her piece of fabric in Kibum’s hands before she crossed the room and crouched in front of him. “We’re all so very proud of you, Minho and we are glad you are a part of our family now. I knew if your mother was here, she would say the same thing.” She paused and ran her fingers through his hair, the caress soft and oh, so motherly. That, combined with her words, made an emotion well up deep inside of him. “She loved you very much and she had so much pride in you. You were her little magnificent gem.”

Minho tried really hard to blink away his tears but failed, one escaping and rolling down his cheek. “Thank you,” he said quietly.

Iseul stood and kissed him on his forehead. “You’re welcome, baby boy.” She glanced at Kibum once, who rolled his eyes but couldn’t help the faint smile on his lips. “Let’s go get Minho something to drink. Tonight’s going to be a long night for him.”

 

 

 

 

Yejin had never been to Prae–most of her people never stepped out of the Duphra Woods settlement. It wasn’t as if they didn’t want to travel–Yejin dreamed of roaming the countryside, visiting other clans, learning their culture and ways. But that was not her destiny. She was a noble of the Nee clan, a clan charged with keeping Duphra Woods, Enda and the rest of Rhyna Ghali free of the Sangre’s–the Vampyre clan’s territory–madness. She could never leave. Duphra Woods needed her. Her fate, her duty was set as so.

That was until she was offered up as a flesh tribute. So when she and her retinue stepped into the famed Great Hall of the Fortress, she felt as if her next breath had been stolen. Duphra Woods was composed of shabby huts and strongholds–it was their way, they had no money to live lavishly, and over the centuries had lost the desire to do so. Most clan business was held in the Chief’s huts. The Great Hall, in comparison, was monstrous in size and glamour. The stone floor stretched wide and long, the walls high, the space vast. To think that, in other circumstances, she could live here too amazed Yejin.

As she looked across the Great Hall, she laid eyes on who she was to be given to–The AlphaPrime of Prae, Lee Jinki. “He is splendid,” she whispered to Fatima, the Priestess of Duphra Woods and Yejin’s second in command. Fatima lied often, exaggerating from the few times she was allowed outside of Duphra Woods but on this, her words were true. “I told you,” she hissed back. “He is everything a shifter should be. You are a lucky girl, Ye-Ye.”

Yejin continued to look at him from his wide shoulders, shapely hips and powerful looking thighs to his face that seemed chiseled from stone but soft to the touch.

She’d never been with an Alpha before.

Yet as fine as he was, her gaze couldn’t help but stray to the AlphaBeta, Choi Minho of Wheph. No way is this man an Omega. He is magnificent! Out of the entirety of Duphra Woods’s clan leadership, Yejin had been the only one in on the Magnus couples ruse. Duphra Woods, including Fatima, believed they were offering a flesh tribute. Yejin knew she was offering herself up as the key to an alliance.

She’d been told this information under the pain of strict confidence and death by Prae’s fourth in command, Yifan of Mott Argan. He did a lot of snarling and growling so Yejin was apt to believe he was telling the truth. Tonight, she was to lay with the AlphaPrime. From there, she would fake a pregnancy and upon birth, the AlphaBeta’s child would become hers…technically. That’s their plan, at least. When she asked about what stage Minho was in, Yifan waved her question away.

Let us worry about that. You just need to be in place. In return, we will offer an alliance with Duphra Woods and you will officially become a settlement of Prae.

Yes. That was the only reason her name was offered as a Tribute. Alliances. I just hope we’ve picked the best one.

The Magnus couple broke away from their large group and approached, bringing the High Eunuch with them. Gikwang.  As they drew closer, Fatima took a step forward, her dark orange cloak swaying with her steps.

“Greetings, Jinki and Minho, Great Leaders of Prae. I am Fatima, Priestess of Duphra Woods. We have travelled, with pleasure and perseverance, for a week to non-stop to be before you tonight. We pray that you will accept our appearance tonight as a willingness to form an alliance between your great clan and our humble one.”

Jinki nodded. “We deeply appreciate your steadfastness in getting here and we hope your stay will be a good one. We have prepared accommodations for you and your guest.”

“Very good, my lord. Yejin,” Fatima called, looking behind her. Knowing that was her cue, Yejin stepped forward and slowly lowered the hood of her cloak. She knew her looks were slightly unique for Prae and Duphra Wood standards; she looked Toleran–tanned skin, dark eyes and dark ruddy hair. She knew this was one of the reasons she had been chosen. She favored the AlphaBeta’s appearance.  

“Greetings. I am Yejin, a noble of the hunter clan from Duphra Woods.” Her eyes flashed at Jinki but landed on Minho. “I hope that I meet every one of your expectations.” Her gaze locked with his for a long moment before she looked at Jinki again.

“Our home is your home,” Minho said, his face warm and accepting but Yejin noticed the sadness in his voice and in his eyes. She could understand that. They must be very much in love. I’m probably not as welcomed as I seem with the Omega leader.

Gikwang stepped forward, his arm extended. “I will show you to your rooms. After you’re settled, Yejin, you will join first join Minho for tea before we begin.”

Yejin nodded. She knew that she would have to gain Minho’s final approval, despite their knowledge of the situation. If Minho did not accept them, they were as good as dead and everything would fail.

Bowing one last time to their welcoming party, Yejin and her retinue followed the High Eunuch out of The Great Hall and down the hall towards the guest suite. The other eunuchs appeared helping the others into their rooms before Gikwang led her to the large guest quarters at the end of the hall.

As she entered the room, she was greeted by someone who was already waiting for her.

“I hope your trip wasn’t too taxing.”

Yejin tried to hide her long suffering sigh under her breath but bowed out of respect nonetheless. She righted herself up and looked at her guest, wondering how he made it this far into The Fortress without someone noticing. She’d been through the several checkpoints and although she was not of Prae, it was obvious that the security was pretty tight.

“You look lovely as ever, Yejin.”

She smiled at Thunder. “I appreciate my lord’s compliments,” she stated simply and dryly.

“Save the formalities. We don’t have much time before the Magnus Pavilion request Yejin’s presence. Did Jungmo give you the elixir, Thunder?”

Thunder rolled his eyes and threw the vial. “Of course he did. What do you think I left it at home while I was scratching my ?

“Who knows what you do anymore? I’m not sure why you’re still involved since you allowed that old fossil to challenge you on your position and take it. ”

Thunder shrugged. “I never desired to be Alpha of Durkhai. I’m not even sure I put up a good fight. But I am still useless. I still have power there.”

“A commander of an army you can’t control. Yeah, sure, “Gikwang said.

“Sometimes, the way you question my dedication to duty and sense irks me Gikwang. You should be nicer to me.”

Gikwang rolled his eyes in response. “Eat my , Thunder.”

Thunder cocked his head to the side and glanced the High Eunuch up and down, his grin a touch wolfish. “Are you offering?”

“Could you please, just for once, not?” Gikwang started before he spun back towards Yejin. “The AlphaBeta has been subjected to Jungmo’s poisons before so this one is a little bit stronger.”

Yejin looked up, the word “stronger” making her frown.

“Relax. It won’t harm him or his child,” Thunder said, giving her a look as if her concern was ridiculous. “As much as I would like that, that would actually be counterproductive. You have nothing to worry about. It will simply put him to sleep. It’s easier to storm a castle if the defender is sleep.”

“Be alert,” Gikwang added, “you won’t have much of an opportunity to slip this to Minho. Be aware, be wise, and be quiet. Make sure Fatima doesn’t know more than what she should. Make no mentions of war. Just of the sleeping potion. ”

“I understand,” Yejin replied.

“When you hear the alarms in the morning know that is your cue to slip out.”

“I understand,” Yejin repeated.

“And remember,” Gikwang stated, “you do your part and you will have a place in Toggo’s court and Duphra Woods will be left alone during this war. Any mishaps and we will have no choice but to require your allegiance in this fight.  But we trust you. It’s the least we can do for a noble such as yourself.”

Yejin squared her shoulder and looked Gikwang in the eye. “I understand.”

“Don’t let us down.”

“Never, my lord.”