night

h a l l o w

 

 

 

A few hours later they were standing in the main hall surrounded by the people of Durkhai. They were loud and rowdy, good natured and there was pang of nostalgia in Yoon’s chest. He never wanted to leave Durkhai. He loved it more than anything else. The sounds made him feel at home. Yoon searched the crowd for faces that may have been familiar to him but in the fifty hears he’d been gone, it was hard to do. 

Jaekyung had provided them with cowls that kept most of their faces hidden. It would have been hard to recognize them in the dimly lit hall but Toggo didn’t want to take any chances. 

At the hour of the dog, the doors of the hall opened and the current leadership council of Durkhai walked in. He could tell so by the deep red symbol of two pyramids and the sun sewn onto the sleeves of their golden robes. Yoon didn’t recognize any of the faces, but he understood why. Jinki would have chosen his own. It gave him slight pause; they would be loyal to Jinki’s causes and politics. Having their former Alpha’s so called traitorous abusive father parading yet another son with a vie for the top spot might not go over well. 

Nonetheless, he had to try. What’s the worst that could happen? Him dying? He’d been prepared for death since the day he lead 100 men through the gates of Durkhai to revolt. Death was only the next path in life. 

Following the leadership coterie was the moment Yoon was waiting for. All the shifters who anticipated their names being pitched rolled in as one large mass of men and women, all wearing gold like their leaders. They approached and stood facing the crowd. Yoon spotted Thunder instantly and a weight on his heart lifted. No one could miss his blinding white hair or his piercing black eyes. He took his coloring after his mother. The only thing Thunder had inherited from him was his stubborn personality and his height, exhibited as he stood a head taller than some of the other shifters.

Suddenly a gong sounded, which Yoon knew was the signal to start pitching names. Wooden plaques with names carved into them began flying through the air, most landing inside enormous wicker basket at the middle of the room. The voices in the hall rose to a fever pitch as the villagers yelled and talked over each other. 

Once all names were pitched, two pages approached the wicker basket, picking up wayward plaques as they lugged the heavy basket to the front of the room. 

The leadership worked quickly through the names, throwing names out due to status or personal preference. Every once in a while a family member would be called up to defend their child’s right and the council would listen intently before making a decision to throw the name away or keep it. Finally, a wooden plaque was drawn that caused confusion amongst all of the members of the leadership coterie. 

An elder, old and wrinkled, his posture stooped and bent, stood with the help of a young page. His rheumy eyes read over the name on the plaque over and over before he looked over the pool of shifters. 

“Park Sanghyun? ”

Yoon heard his son’s birth name ring out over the hall and he went still. 

As if he’d expected it, Thunder took two steps forward, turned around and bowed. “I am Park Sanghyun but I am mostly known as Thunder.”

The elder narrowed his eyes at Thunder. “Why have I never seen your face before, child?”

“I have, for all of my life, lived outside of this village. I’ve always wanted to come home and I saw this as an opportunity to do so.”

The elder sat down, slowly, and looked over the crowd. “Who pitched this child’s name?”

Yoon inhaled and prepared for either victory or for death. He took a step out of the crowd, ducked under the red rope keeping them back and walked to stand by his son’s side. “I pitched this child’s name.”

“And you are?”

Yoon grabbed the edge of his cowl. “I am the father of this child; my blood runs through his body as does the blood of the Durkhian Wolf and the Spirit of the Moonchild.” Yoon pushed the cowl back and revealed his face. He heard gasp from the crowd and resisted the urge to smile. 

“I am Yoon.”



Minho groaned as the ever familiar headache of being incapacitated pounded across his skull. He blinked his eyes open and recognized the deep reds and dark browns of his room. The Magnus Suite. He lay still for a moment, letting his body adjust to being awake before he tried moving.  He blinked again, trying to will the headache away but it didn’t work, so he sat up slowly. The moment he was up, he felt something to his right. 

He looked over and bit back a gasp.

Jinki was parked on a stool, half of his body sprawled across his bed as he slept. To his right was a small table with a basin of water, a bowl with a dark brown medicinal broth, a half-eaten sandwich and a cup. Jinki was still very much asleep and every few seconds, his nose would scrunch up. In that moment the fearsome wolf reminded Minho of a cute fluffy bunny.

Minho felt a little ashamed of himself as he continued to stare at his mate. The last thing he remembered was being in the safe room with Jinki. He did remember feeling weird and unreserved in a way he hadn’t allowed himself in years. His usual filter that allowed him to speak and act in the reserved tone it took to run a village of thinkers had dissipated into the air like a hot gust of steam. Feelings that didn’t make sense to him, feelings that crept along the edges of his soul, feelings he’d tried to hamper down and ignore had emerged and would not go away. 

Despite all of that, the one thing that stood out the most, like a white moon against a black sky, was this look of hurt on Jinki’s face. Minho remembered his actions, not his words, so he couldn’t figure out what he could possibly have said to Jinki, this paradigm of strength in all of their lives, that could make him look like that. 

Whatever it was, he was very sorry. He wanted to apologize. 

Jinki shifted on the stool and Minho frowned. That position could not be comfortable. However sweet, he wished the Alpha would have slept in his own bed. His back was going to be sore when he woke. Something silly moved in Minho, something he couldn’t explain, something that he was tired of trying to explain. Tentatively, he reached out to brush a few strands that had escaped his braid from his face. However as soon as his fingers brushed across his forehead, Jinki’s hand shot out and firmly grab Minho’s wrist. 

Jinki’s eyes flew open as he woke up. He looked around crazed for a few moments and Minho wondered how Jinki ever got any sleep if he was always on edge like this. 

“Jinki,” Minho said softly. “It’s okay. It’s me.”

Jinki’s head shot up in the direction of Minho’s voice and his gaze connected with Minho’s concerned one. 

“You’re awake,” he croaked. 

“I’m awake,” he replied, a small smile on his face as Jinki tried to surreptitiously wipe the drool from his mouth. “How long have I been out?”

“Two weeks.”

Minho blanched. “What?”

“Fourteen days,” Jinki paused to look out the window at the dusky sky,” and twenty hours.” He leaned back onto the stool and it was like he just realized he was still holding Minho’s wrist. He hastily let go, like Minho’s touch burned him. Minho frowned at that. “How do you feel?”

“Other than this headache, I feel fine. Great, even. Refreshed like something’s changed in me. It’s weird to try and explain. But I’m okay.”

“Good,” Jinki said as he rolled his shoulders, grimacing as he did so. “Good. I’ll have someone notify the healer. They might be a little cross. They got into a small argument with Kibum and his father when they insisted that their medication would work better than their concoctions.  Apparently the Apothecarist were correct seeing how you’re awake now.” 

Jinki stood and began to walk towards the door. Minho stopped him before he could open it. “Are you coming right back?”

“No. I’m going to the training grounds. My body feels like .”

“Wait.” Minho pushed the covers from him. “I’ll go with you.”

Jinki turned and looked at him crossly. “You just woke from a two week long coma.”

“But I just told you. I feel fine.”

Jinki crossed the room and put his hand to Minho’s chest. He pushed until Minho was laying back down and pulled the covers back up. “Rest. I’ll be back in the morning.”

“Hey Jinki,” Minho called out  as Jinki moved away from him. Jinki paused. 

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry?” Minho said quietly from his bed. ”Whatever I did or said…I’m sorry.”

Jinki didn’t turn around, just continued to look at the door. After a moment, he slid his hands in his pockets. “It’s fine.”

“Did I say something bad? I can’t…I can’t remember?”

Jinki finally turned towards him, slowly. There was a small lopsided smile on his face that didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Nothing I shouldn’t be expecting at this point. I kind of get it now. I’m learning to manage my expectations.”
Minho frowned and Jinki’s smile grew just a little. “Don’t worry about it. I’m a big wolf, I’ll be fine.”

Minho sighed, Jinki’s words not easing his guilt. “Promise?”

Jinki chuckled. “Promised,” he said, the note of finality ringing in the air. “Get some rest,” he said before walking towards door.

When Jinki opened Minho’s door, instead of a healer, Kibum tumbled in as if he’d been eavesdropping on the other side. Minho laughed as Kibum tried to hide that fact by straightening his long vest. He nodded to Jinki in passing and took a seat at the foot of Minho’s bed. Still, even as Kibum began speaking a mile a minute, Minho’s eyes were locked on the strong lines of Jinki’s back. He watched him until he disappeared around a corner.

“Are you listening to me?” Kibum squawked, indignant.

Minho turned to look at Kibum, noticing the look he was giving him but choosing to ignore it. “Thank you for your expertise in getting me back to normal.”

Kibum slapped his arm. “You had us scared! At first we’d thought you’d been drugged and those stupid healers wanted to leach you clean. I told them they were idiots. We still don’t know what caused it but I’m glad you’re awake. Jinki’s been a total and he was driving everyone crazy. He hasn’t left your side the entire time. He was testing your medications, bringing you your food, it was madness.”

“I wonder why…” Minho said, looking down at his hands.

Kibum narrowed his eyes at Minho and Minho knew that Kibum was about to say something that was going to get on his nerves.

“You’re the daftest wolf I’ve ever met.”

Minho sighed. He was right. But then again they didn’t consider each other the best of friends for no reason. 

“What makes you say that?” Minho said, his voice terse.

Kibum looked over his shoulders, eyeing the open door. He stood, walked to it and peeked his head past the frame. Seemingly satisfied, he shut the door before he rejoined Minho on the bed. 

“Look,” he said, pointedly, “I understood your hesitancy at first. I get it. You’re confused, none of this makes sense. But face the facts, my friend; you are the Alpha Beta of Prae. You can’t logic your way out of this like you do with everything else in your life. You can’t be scared to care about something because of what happened to your family. I know it hurt, but you can’t let it rule you like this. You have a duty, an important one. Your name is on that door, this is your legacy.”

Minho winced internally, his brain searching for a way to block the pain of his past. It was there and it was constant but he was getting better at coming to terms with it, even after all of this time.  “I’ve accepted it, my duty,” Minho said eventually.

“Then why are you acting like your mate is an obligation? He is a fine, if not the finest specimen in these godforsaken villages and you treat him as if he did something to you! He didn’t draw your name from the heavens, the gods did! Wisen up, Minho.  There are at least a hundred wolves that would die for the chance to get their hands on him!”

Minho chuckled sardonically. “What happened to not touching him until the Mate Bond?”

Kibum rolled his eyes so hard that Minho thought they would get lost in his head.  
“I made that up!  I saw the way he was ready to bend you over every surface in that tent and I did it to protect you! Give you the comfort of adjusting. I didn’t mean you could give him a shoulder as frosty as a witch’s tit!”

Minho stared at him for a moment, wondering if it would be a good time to divulge such a secret, considering the circumstances. “I kissed him last night…well not last night, the last night I can remember. I was…indecent of me.”

Kibum laughed. “Stop acting like a blushing bride. You’ve had your tongue down my throat too many times to count so innocence does not become you. Plus, he is your mate. The last thing you can be is indecent with your mate. I don’t even think there is such a thing. You’re supposed to do vile, wicked wicked things to him. A kiss is as innocent as it comes.” Kibum shifted forward a little, his voice dipping low. ”One time during one of those stupid meetings you guys used to have, I crawled under the table and swallowed Jonghyun entire coc–“

“Okay!” Minho held his hands up. “More information than I’ll ever need! Thank you!” 

“I’m just telling you. If you feel things for Jinki, it’s okay. It’s natural to want him.”

Minho grimaced and felt himself getting to the heart of his real hesitation to get close to his Alpha. “I don’t deserve him, Kibum.”

Kibum frowned. “What do you mean?” 

“I mean I don’t deserve him. I don’t deserve the feelings he has for me. I’m a liar. I’m an abomination. I’m–”

Kibum stopped him by grabbing his face between his hands, kissing his forehead before looking him in the eyes. “I don’t ever want to hear you utter such nonsense ever again. You are nothing but perfect. You didn’t chose this for yourself, the gods did. If they think you are worthy, then you are.”

Minho was silent for a moment, soaking the words in and letting them wash over him. If anything Kibum was right. Taemin had been right in his words and Jinki in his actions. The only one acting foolish was him. Minho reached and covered Kibum’s hands with his own. “Thank you Kibum,” he said softly.

“Don’t mention it. It’s not often I get to call you as . I should be thanking you.” 

Minho laughed and threw Kibum’s hands away from him. “You are a jerk.”

“You love it.” Kibum stood from the bed and walked towards the door. “I’m going to have the cook make you your favorite meal and then we are going to have an old fashion slumber party where you can gush on and on about how you really feel. Then we’ll talk about Jungmo.”

“Wait!” In all of the confusion, he’d completely forgotten about his Uncle’s favorite goon. “What about him?”

“He was physically removed from the premises three days after you fell unconscious.” 

“What? Why?” Minho said as Kibum opened the door. 

“Jinki honored your wishes.”



“How much longer do you think they are going to follow us?”

Jungmo shrugged. “As long as they’ve been instructed to follow us. Makes no difference to me. The moment they are on Blue Crescent lands, they become our hostages. Easier than having a few abducted as per my previous plan. They keep making this easier and easier. Do you recognize them?”

“Yixing, Dinfire’s first. Chanyeol, Wheph’s first. Sehun, Mott Argan’s first and Taeyeon, the mage.” 

Sulli looked behind her at the other dancers following behind in their caravan back to home. It was easy to keep an eye on the four people trying their best to blend in with the edge of the forest surrounding the trail between Prae and Wheph. She’d have to give it to them, they were really good. There had been a number of times when she’d lost them amongst the trees and the shrubbery. But she was better, better than all of them. She had the eyes of the eagles and the nose of a hunting hound. She could have spotted them from anywhere. 

She turned back forward and reached into her saddle bag, her familiar all black uniform before pulling out a blue headband. 

She never quite understood her leader’s wishes, his thirst for everything, even his thirst for her. She was nothing but a peasant, inducted into the Blue Crescent because she needed somewhere to go and people she could depend on. Still, she recognized his desire for something bigger, even if the plan was treacherous and full of contempt. 

But it wasn’t her place to question. It was her place to follow. And follow she would. For she was a Wolf of the Blue Crescent and she kept her back to the moon. 




Minho was having a nightmare. He could tell. He could tell he was sleep, he could tell it wasn’t real. It didn’t change how terrifying it was.
It was the dead of the night with only the crescent moon above him. He was standing on a lengthy rope bridge; one so long he couldn’t see the end of it on either side. He probably couldn’t see the ends even if it were the middle of the day. Surrounding him on both sides were a long line of people, filing out until they disappeared in the distance like the rope bridge did. They were dressed in all black from head to save a blue headband. Blue crescent emblems on their foreheads caught the moonlight and glinted as the bridge swayed in the wind’s current.

There was a loud commotion and the path began to clear as the people in black moved out of the way. A familiar crop of blond hair appeared on one side and the imposing height of another appeared on the other. Although Minho had never met the man in person, he was able to recognize his face without hesitation.

Toggo. 

“Minho…my precious nephew,” Toggo said as he took a step closer. 

Instinctively, Minho reached for his bow and arrow only to grasp at air. Suddenly, he missed the days when he trained side by side with Siwon and Donghae and Ryewook. He grew so used to having them at his back. Not having them near or his weapon on him made him feel absolutely vulnerable. But he swallowed it. He was a former Alpha of Wheph. He was the current Alpha Beta of Prae. He was a fearsome creature, strong, intelligent, resourceful. He would not let a phantom that slithered around in his dreams cause him to forget that.

“What are you doing here?” Minho growled, his jaw clenching as his uncle took another step closer.
“To see you of course! It’s been so long! Too long, not since you were a babe ling at your mother’s teet, ” Toggo said with a smile. “Plus, I have something I need from you.”

Minho shook his head. “That is false. I’ve repaid the Mandate of Zion with interest. You have nothing to collect and you have no reason to be anywhere near me. Leave before I do something you’ll rue. Don’t think I’ve forgiven for what you’ve done to my family.”

Toggo tipped his head back and laughed. Jungmo’s lips quirked into a smile, apparently joining in on a joke Minho didn’t understand. 

“You think the Mandate was all that allowed me to have power over you? You stupid insolent whelp. I will always have power of you. Over you, yours and anyone who is unlucky enough to call you a friend,” Toggo paused tilted his head. “…or a mate.”

Toggo’s smile morphed into a sneer as he raised his hand. He snapped once and the long line of men surrounding Minho shifted again, allowing another set of people through. One was another Blue Crescent, dressed in black as everyone else. The other was being pushed along with him. The captive was taller than his captor if only but a bit. His hands were tied behind their back and a rope manacle around their ankles slowed his movements, so much that every time the man in black pushed him, the captive stumbled. A black shroud covered his head but the rest of his clothing, shades of dark red and gold, were left uncovered. 

Dark red and gold…the colors of Durkhai?

The other figure was unceremoniously thrown to the ground and Minho winced as their knees made contact with the bridge’s thick wooden planks. 

“Let’s think about the consequences of making and sustaining me as an enemy, Minho,” Toggo said as he turned and faced the moon. “Who will always suffer when a leader goes to war? The banks? Yes, probably. His army? Of course. The councilmen, the stewards, the elders? Most certainly. But who suffers the most?” He turned to Minho. “The people, nephew. The people who have connected themselves with you in the most simplest of ways. By trusting you. But no one can trust you, can they pup? You’re a liar…an abomination…”

The ruling line must be clean.
The ruling line must be pure.
The ruling line must be untarnished.

Minho’s glare hardened as the words echoed in his head.

“What is your point?”

“My point?” Toggo asked as he took a step back, his gloved hand landing on the kneeling figure. “My point is the ones you love will always pay the price for your existence. Danye, Yunkyum, your precious sister and of course…”

Toggo snatched the shroud from around the figure’s head and Minho felt his heart stop. His skin turned cold. His mouth turned to ash.

“…Jinki?”

“Are you okay?” Jinki asked the moment he could see. The terror in Minho’s eyes didn’t mirror in Jinki’s. He looked angry and powerless and Minho wanted to yell out ‘Don’t worry about me!’ but he knew Jinki, he knew that he wasn’t built that way. He was selfless, an ideal of honor, a willing shield for those he cared about. And damn it, despite every reason he shouldn’t, Jinki did care for Minho and for the first time in a long time Minho feared for someone else. He feared what his lies would bring.

“Did he hurt you?” Jinki asked as he fought against his bindings. “Are you hurt anywhere? If he hurts you I’m–“

Toggo rolled his eyes and pulled the shroud back over Jinki’s head cutting his words short. “Enough talking.” He picked Jinki up from his knees and walked him to the edge of the rope. Minho saw Jinki struggling to free himself from his bonds, but they didn’t shift an inch. “Say goodbye, Minho.”

“What?…No. No! Toggo, wait! I’ll do it! Whatever you want! I’ll do it! Trade me for him. Just–just don’t–”

“Anything?” Toggo asked before he started laughing again. 

And with a simple rough shove, Jinki was toppling over the rope and into the darkness below the bridge. Minho felt the energy leave him in an instant as he sank to his knees, his mouth open and his eyes locked on the spot where Jinki last stood. He felt it clawing at his throat and no matter what he did to prevent it, there wasn’t a force strong enough to stop the guttural heartbreaking scream that tore from his throat.

“Want to know why I will always have power over you, Minho?” Toggo said, smiling brightly at Minho’s pain. “Because I will continue to do this until you are gone from this earth.”

Minho didn’t hear what Toggo was saying over his own screaming.

“Sleep tight. I’ll be for you soon enough.”




Minho woke up in a pure panic, fighting his way to sitting up before kicking the covers off and falling to the ground. Kibum, who was asleep beside him, sat up alarmed, his eyes wide as Minho scrambled across the floor and towards the door. 

“Minho? Minho! What’s wrong with you?” Kibum said, alarmed as he jumped out of bed after him.

“Jinki–I have to get to him–where is he?–I have to help him–he fell, he’s down in the water!–“

Kibum reached him before he could get to the door, grabbing him by the shoulder and spinning him around. “Minho! Snap out of–“ Kibum paused and a terror so white and blinding flashed across his eyes. Minho was too preoccupied with his dream still floating all around him to truly notice. 

“Minho. Listen to me.”

“No!” Minho tried to yank out of Kibum’s arms but he couldn’t. Kibum didn’t understand. He had to get to Jinki. He had to see if he was alright. If he was hurt because of him…

“Minho!”  Kibum shook him once, hard. “Listen to me.” Kibum inhaled deeply through his nose and the look in his eyes deepened. “Where is your medication?” He asked calmly.

Slowly, the terror of Minho’s dream began to wane and recede back into the dream world and eventually it left him standing by his room door staring at Kibum. Kibum who looked more disturbed than he’d ever been in his life.

“My…my medication?” Minho parroted as he tried to regulate his breathing back to normal. He looked around. His eyes darted to the tall curio by the window. “It’s where you put it. In the box.”

“I’m going to let you go. Do you think you’ll be alright?”

Minho realized how crazed he must have looked. The terror had been real. The dream was not. Minho shrugged Kibum off of him. “I’ll be alright. I was just a dream. It’s was a terrible terrible dream. It felt so real and I panicked.” Kibum gave him a look and Minho rolled his eyes. ”I’ll be fine.”

Kibum gave him a long look like Minho was a deer about to flee before walking across the room towards the window. He found the box on the shelf and pried it open. 

“Jesu!” he exclaimed. 

“What?” Minho asked. It was now him who was worried by Kibum’s behavior. 

“The box. It’s empty.”

Minho scoffed. “Don’t be silly. There should be at least a three month supply.”

“No. Minho. It’s completely empty. Look,” Kibum said. He picked the box up and upturned it. Nothing fell out. Not even the dry herbs Jungsoo used to flavor it.” Has anyone been in here?”

“No, but, I mean, it’s fine, right? I’ll get some more. I don’t need another dose for another week or so.”

“So the last time you took it was a little over two weeks ago?” Kibum said, his voice still eerily calm. 

“Right. The night of the Blood Moon Festival. I picked it up from your father that night.”

“Oh, no. No, that’s not possible. No,” Kibum uttered softly, right before his knees gave out and he collapsed. Alarmed, Minho ran across the room and kneeled beside his friend. 

“Kibum. What’s wrong with you?”

“Minho. I can smell you.”

Minho rolled his eyes and sat back. He sighed. “Stop your games. This isn’t the time for jokes. You scared me!”

“No! Not like that you idiot! I can smell you! 

“Me?” Minho raised his wrist to his nose. “The–the real me?”

“Yes!” 

Minho fell back on his haunches, the wind knocked out of him. “But…how is that possible?”

Kibum groaned. His head fell into his hands. “I understand why you couldn’t wake up. Gods. How could I be so stupid!” Kibum reached from Minho’s pant leg and raised it. 

Minho eyes grew as he looked at the red angry welts on his legs. He hadn’t seen those…since he was a boy. 

“ing Jungmo. It had to be him! He found the antidote.”

“The antidote?” Minho asked,  his voice rising in panic. “To what?!”

“Vachelli is a component of your medicine. A major component, but it’s also consider a poison. To alter your scent, your body is poisoned…he found a way to counteract it. !”

Kibum stood up suddenly. “I have to go. I have to go right now.”

“Where?”

“I need an olfa. Right now. It’s only a matter of time…”

Minho frowned. “Before what?”

The look Kibum gave him scared him more than his dream. 

“Before Jinki smells you.”

_____________________________________

 

A|N: For once in a long time I don't think I have too many author notes. In the future, as this slowly escalates and snowballs out of my control, there will be though, so...be prepared for my confusion.

Oh! I hope you caught the colors and symbols of Durkhai. Not that's its all that important, I just like red and gold together. Oh, some weird ships are coming up but...you know SURPRISE!

And no, Kibum and Minho have not had nor will they ever have . (Sorry MinKeyers. They did fool around a lot tho!

As always check out the character guide if you have any lingering questions.