as the blood moon comes (prologue)

h a l l o w

 

“We write our own destiny; we become what we do.”

Minho’s thumb rubbed over the engraving in the back of the watch his father use to own. It was his now. His watch. His destiny.

In reality, it was his father’s dream of his destiny, what he wanted for his only son, and what he would do to make sure his only son achieved it.

It wasn’t that Minho resented him; he loved his father very much. It was just exhausting–bone deep exhausting– keeping up the ruse.

There was a lot of ruckus–over-excited shouts across the thoroughfare, loud booming laughter as bets were being placed inside the bar, babies crying–and for that Minho wasn’t exactly appreciative. Noise came from people and people had eyes and it would be a disaster if anyone were to recognize him.

As he passed the fountain, he swore he saw a crop of dusty red hair headed his way. The person was ducking and dodging through the market–fare traffic, waving like a madman in Minho’s direction and Minho wanted to scream. He pivoted and began heading in the opposite direction. It was the long way around but it was worth it. As much as he cared for that boy, he was the last person he needed to recognized by. Gossip tended to spread quickly, but with Chanyeol it would be like a strike of lightening burning across his Hakka–village.

Minho came around the back way, following a dirt road with deep groves and plenty of muck and mud. He pulled his dark wool cowl over his head and slid behind a cart full of excited young girls on their way to the Prae, ducking his head as they passed.

Sighing, Minho continued down the dirt path, turning down the throughway in between buildings until he was standing in front of Salamander’s.

It was like running through a maze to get to the shop. Their village was circular in shape with high walls to keep unauthorized shifters, beast and innocent sentient humans from wandering into their community. Although they conducted themselves as rational as any city-state would, should an Omega from another tribe find its way in on the wrong night, there would be trouble.

That’d happened before. He didn’t want to talk about what happened afterwards.

With one last look down the path to see if anyone was looking, he dipped under the wooden awning and walked through the threshold.

No sooner as the flap glided over his shoulder did a loud “You’re late,” echo through the small market.

“I know. Couldn’t help it,” Minho yelled from the doorway, adjusting his cowl back down around his neck. “All five clans are in a frenzy because of the festival. It took everything in my power just to get here unseen. Stealth and speed aren’t often the best of friends.”

“No harm done, pup. No harm done.”

Minho walked towards the voice. He had to duck lower to avoid hitting his head on the low lying beam that lead into the main store.

“You know, considering your customer base, it seems wise to get bigger doors…or a bigger store. Either one.” Minho rounded the corner and approached the long counter where a ruddy haired older man sat with his nose stuffed between the pages of a book.

“Or you gigantic freaks of nature could duck down like everyone else…or get shorter. Either one,” the salamander shifter said without looking up.

Minho scowled before leaning across the counter to try and sneak a peak at the book. “What are you reading? How to Achieve Ultimate Hermithood?” He snapped his head back when the book slammed shut.

“It’ll be five golden Lycans,” Jungsoo recounted, holding his hand out.

Minho gave him a look. “I’ve been doing this for six decades, I know how much it cost,” he bit back as he dug the money from his pocket and dropped the coins into Jungsoo’s hand.

Grinning, Jungsoo bit the end of a gold Lycan before dropping it into his safe. Once his money was locked away, he reached under the counter and withdrew a box tied close with twine, sliding it across the hard wood surface and into Minho’s hands.

Minho loosened the twine and looked down into the box with a relived twist of his lips.

“Supply is running a little low this month. Kibum was here earlier, so you’ll find yourself two short. He said, and I quote, ‘It only makes sense. Someone needs to be in possession of an emergency stash.’ You know, I’m starting to believe he thinks you are an idiot.”

Minho snorted. “He does. I’m used to it.”

Jungsoo leaned forward and balanced his chin on the tips of his fingers while Minho emptied the contents of the box into a small bag tied at his hip. “Who do you think it’ll be?”

Minho sighed and twisted until his back was leaning up against the counter. “For the Blood Moon Festival? My bet is on Jonghyun. He is Dinfire’s best fighter, worldly, a sure contender for Alpha Beta. Jinki? Alpha Prime. He’s the strongest, smartest and fastest. All the girls seem to love him and any Omega within a mile shot of him goes crazy during heat. It’ll be intense.” Minho thought as he chewed on his thumb. “Two Alphas. It’s been centuries since…”

“You don’t think it’ll be you?”

Minho brow rose for a second before he chuckled, albeit a sadly. “I don’t even know what I am anymore, Jungsoo. I’m not a true leader.”

“Contradictory statement. You can’t not know what you are and then proclaim what you aren’t. You lead Wheph well enough, you know. Things happen for a reason and everything isn’t as simple as biology. Your father knew this and that is why you have that,” he offered, sagely, before pointing to the box in Minho’s hand. “At a discount might I add.”

Minho laughed. “You are a miserly old man, you know that?”

“You are damned right!” Jungsoo sat back with his hands balanced across his thighs. “Alright, go on, pup. There will be a lot of celebrating tonight and I won’t have you in here looking sad. Not when there’s a mate out there somewhere just waiting for you to notice them from across the den! Go on! Get out of here. I want to hear all about this wolfish soiree when you come back.”

Minho pushed the box back across the counter and made his way towards the door. “Ha! Me. A mate? They would have to smell me in order for that, don’t you think?”




The rain felt good, cleansing in a natural way, a way that swimming in the lake never did. Jinki sat back on his hind legs and use one of them to scratch behind his ears. Jonghyun padded up behind him, joining him under the large oak that sat just outside of the village perimeter. Dangerous thing to do for any ordinary wolf, but Jinki and Jonghyun didn’t take kindly to being called ordinary.

Walking over to his pile of clothing near the root of the tree, Jinki concentrated, his eyes flashing a light blue before reverting back to their brown hue. Muscle rippled along his body and he felt his bones re-aligning as his fur receded back under his skin. Soon he was able to stand his full human height and the adrenaline rush that came with shifting caused his eyes to slide close. When the feeling receded, he reached high on a branch above his head for his clothing.

“We need to head back,” Jinki declared solemnly as he looked up at the rapidly darkening sky with a frown. “Changmin said that we needed to be in place by nightfall.”

“Oh, ho,” Jonghyun jaunted as he joined Jinki at his side. “Feeling nervous, old dauntless friend of mine? Don’t be. You’ll be our leader and it’s not because of some silly prophecy. You belong at the head of the pack.”

Jinki grinned, the tip of his fang poking over his lips before it drew back up into his gums. “I’m not worried about me. I’m worried about who I’ll be mated with.”

Jonghyun’s brow rose as he pulled his pants up over his hips. “Does it matter?”

“Yeah, because it could be you and that’s pretty ing disgusting.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes and Jinki threw an arm around his neck. “Plus, you’d kill me before the honeymoon was over. You’re so strong and manly. I’d faint as soon as you touched me.” Jinki playfully batted his eyes.

“Ugh! Don’t be gross.”

Jonghyun shrugged Jinki’s arm off so he could shuffle into his shirt. “You really believe in this two Alpha bull? It doesn’t make any sense. It’s not like we’re going to war. I don’t see the point and I hardly doubt the elders are going to do it. And just think–think!–what are the outside clans going to say? They’re probably laughing now as we speak. You know, we’re the only ones who follow these ridiculous ritu–“

Jonghyun tirade rolled to an abrupt stop when Jinki’s hand covered his mouth. “Be a good pup and shut up.” Jinki muttered.

“Get your mutt hands off me! “

“Race you back to the village!” Jinki said as he took over running, ignoring Jonghyun’s sputtering.



“This doesn’t even make sense! Why do Betas have to go in the first place? It has nothing to do with us!”

Taemin glanced over to his twin sister, Taeyeon, as she brushed her hair, eyes trained on the mirror and not on him. “Tae, are you even listening to me?”

“I’m listening to you complain, yes. Do I care? Nope.” She laid the brush down on her vanity and twisted towards him, an excited gleam in her eye. “Do you think Kibum will be there? What am I saying, everyone will be there.” She hummed deviously before turning back to the mirror and brushing her hair fervently.

“Really, Taeyeon, enough. Stop barking up that tree before Jonghyun kills you.”

Taeyeon pouted. “You say that like he isn’t going to be selected as Alpha Beta tonight. Everybody knows it–that’s all the girls are squawking their beaks about. And once that happens, once he’s out of the way, Kibum will be all mines.” Taeyeon looked back in the mirror and her eyes flashed red “I’m going to corrupt that delectable Omega if it’s the last thing I do. You think he likes being tied up?”

Taemin’s eyes rolled towards the sky. “That’s so not something I want to hear, you succubus. Keep your jacked up ual fantasies a secret.”

Taeyeon sniffed. “Grow up.”

Taemin pulled off his shoe to throw it at her but stopped when he heard their back door open and close. He craned his head around the corner and saw Na Eun putting down a large hemp bag before she made her way to the back room where the twins slept.

“Na Eun,” Taeyeon simpered without turning around, her face pulled up close to the mirror to apply some kohl around her eyes. “Can you please tell this foolish fool that The Blood Moon Festival is going to be fun, that our brother will be disappointed if the two of us don’t show and most importantly that he should dress really nice if he wants to dance with you at least once tonight because we all know his is ually attracted to you.”

“Taeyeon!” Taemin cried, the tips of his ears going red.

“What? It’s the truth. Don’t be shy Taemin. A shy wolf never found their mate that way. Isn’t that right Nannie-poo?”



“Lee Jinki of Durkhai.”

“Present.”

“Wu Yifan of Mott Argan”

“Present.”

“Kim Jonghyun of Dinfire?”

“Present.”

“Nickhun Horvejkul of Morocco Song?

“Present.”

“And that leaves…Choi Minho of Wheph.”

“Present.

Changmin looked down at his scroll before rolling it up and it tucking it away. “All of your names were listed as prophetic nominations for the place as Alpha of Prae. You know what that means, right?”

Changmin took a moment to look, his eyes touching each shifter in the group of shifters. “You from Durkhai and Mott Argan? Morocco Song and Dinfire? Wheph? This means that you have been selected by your village elders to participate in a ritual older than time itself. Two of you will be Alpha Prime and Alpha Beta of Prae. I am now offering this time as a moment of abnegation. After we enter the festival grounds the results are binding. ”

Silence. “Good. Now if you’ll just–“

Yifan, the pup from Mott Argan boldly raised his hand. “Question, if I’m allowed.”

“You are.”

“An Alpha male can’t bring forth offspring from another Alpha male. So how are we to continue the bloodline if–?”

“This alliance is not about that,” Changmin interrupted. “There’s no royalty therefore there is no royal line to carry forth. Producing children is a matter of no concern. Omegas can worry about the bearing of their children.”

“Any other questions?”

More silence.

Changmin looked up at the moon. “It’s time to take your places.”



The candidates watched from the crowd as Changmin, Elder Magistrate of Prae, marched towards the center of the festival grounds and took his seat at the center of the rostrum. To his right was the Elder of Delphi, Joonmyun, and to his left was the Elder Dowager, Boa, widowed Alpha mate to the deceased Yunho.

Jinki frowned as he looked at the Elder Dowager. She looked aged; grey hairs at her temple, lines across her brow, rheumy grey eyes. He hadn’t seen her smile since her mate died. Her grief, considering all things, must have been considerable.

I never want to feel that kind of pain.

Yunho’s death had been the catalyst for the prophecy. Blood Moons are not timed events; they are rare and their appearance cannot be calculated, no matter how brilliant the scientist or how devout the spiritualist. They appeared as an effect of something cataclysmal and are said to usher in something cataclysmal.

They–although Jinki didn’t know who ‘they were’–say, while out on a hunt, a Mountain Ash bloomed from Yunho’s palm. He would brush it away, and another one would bloom in his place. For three nights, he repeated it–brushing the flower away, watching it bloom, brushing the flower away, watching it bloom. On the morn of the fourth day, he woke up and announced he would die.

“As the Blood Moon comes, the Blood Moon goes.”

The shock that he must have given his personal pack mates must have been outrageous. Still despite their cries, despite their pleading, he went up on to the cliffs of Prae and stayed there, refusing to hunt, refusing to accept hunted meat, and refusing to see his mate until he passed. Seven days later, the Blood Moon Prophecy was revealed.

Now, two Alpha males were to lead the pack.

He hoped, as she glanced up at the moon, that when the torch of leadership was passed from her to another, she would at least find some peace.



“Tell me again, why is this is a secret?”

“Because however wise and gracious Joonmyun is, he just can’t get with the times.”

“What does this have to do with ‘the times’? We’re lying about biological hierarchy, here!”

“Lying is such a disgusting word, Minseok. Tweaking the interpretation, that’s what we’re doing. The moon wants an Alpha male bonded pair and that’s what we are giving it.”

Giving! They weren’t supposed to be giving the moon anything.

Minseok didn’t say anything else, however, opting to stare blankly at the Oracle Prelate in front of him.

Kyungsoo may be a prodigy, but Minseok was convinced he had moonsickness of the head–which didn’t say much for him because he was helping him. He wondered, briefly, as he placed a scroll in Kyungsoo’s hand, if his Oracle status would prevent the lashes they would surely get for this. There must be some mandate that would protect his skin after tampering with the god’s will.

Kyungsoo, the youngest of the three Oracles, looked down from the cliff where their temple was situated. Theirs was small, only having a room for the three to live and the Oracle Pool from where they drew their visions from, but the powers granted in and through it made up for it’s size.

It’s almost time.

The Blood Moon Festival brought forth the need for the prophecy and it was up to Kyungsoo and Minseok to interpret the prophecy, interpret who would be the Alpha leaders of Prae.

Prae was the center village of five neighboring clans that came together after the Great Shifter War, calling a truce to a fight that spanned over centuries. The Five–Durkhai, Mott Argan, Dinfire, Morocco Song, and Wheph–were all considered one clan now, collectively called The Clans of Prae. All power from the 5 was funneled into Prae’s reign. The best from The Five lived in Prae, providing members for its council, its Oracle, and most importantly, the Alpha Prime.

Tonight, Kyungsoo and Minseok were playing with fire. Should the Alpha mate to the Alpha Prime be a bad choice, the people of Prae would look to their mountains for answers, however, if that person were a good match, Prae would see another eon of peace.

Kyungsoo grabbed Minseok’s hand and guided them both into the Oracle pool. “Fate rest in our hands and I happen to believe we have good hands. Good, powerful, wise hands.”

“Fate.” Minseok snorted. “Use the word Fate when we’re not ing with it.” He found his position in the pool, the water drenching the hem of his robe as he stared down at the symbols engraved into the floor. “Concentrate. Might as well ruin our lives correctly.”

Kyungsoo obeyed his elder and followed suit. Soon the blood moon shifted into place and light seeped through the skylight, washing them both in a halo of red. Their eyes rolled into the back of their heads and they began to communicate with Joonmyun down below.

Too bad, they wouldn’t be communicating the prophecy to the letter.

Minseok frowned.

Too bad, indeed.



Kibum glanced at Minho from the audience of spectators help back by the large red braided twine that roped them off from the center of the festival grounds.

He’s really doing it. Tuh.

Kibum tried to talk some sense into the younger wolf this morning, knowing he could withdraw his name at any time, but Minho wasn’t having it.

“Think about Kibum. How will that look? I already have enough people in this clan looking at every move I make. I withdraw my name and people will begin to talk.”

Whatever. Be an idiot. Next time I’m swapping those pills for anise. See how you like that.

Kibum glanced at Jonghyun, feeling brave, even with the possibility that this was the end hanging over his head.

Might as well get a good last look, then.

The light from the torches soaked his body in heat and the strong and powerful lines his body made caused Kibum to stare a little too hard. It wasn’t too big of a crime–for the time being, he was unmated.

He glanced at the other candidates with a lopsided frown. The oiled down bodies and the loincloths were a bit much, a little too archaic in his mind, and really, it allowed the sharp smell of so many powerful Alphas in one place to waft through the air. It was a little overwhelming. Yet Kibum felt nothing but excitement.

Really, what a spectacular way to find out who you were going to be mated to! Kibum had no doubt that either Minho or Jonghyun would walk away tonight, head lowered, and deferred to disappointment. Jinki of Durkhai was obviously the only choice for Alpha Prime. He didn’t care how crazy the gods were, they would be daft not to choose him.

The popular choice–overheard at the salon while he dyed his hair the darkest black imaginable–was Jonghyun for Alpha Beta. That was disheartening. He had every plan in the world to offer himself to that broad shouldered, philosophy spewing, singing humming idiot tonight. If he was chosen then…

There was a bright side, however. If he couldn’t have Jonghyun, Minho wasn’t too bad of a second choice. His friend needed him.

Kibum’s musings were cut short when the shifter hovering over the drums showed his upbeat jaunt to a slow steady pounding. Silence fell over the festival grounds and the rest of the musicians followed suit, sounds of flutes and strings whittling away.

Kibum shoved his way closer to the front, ignoring his social status–which honestly enticed the anger from a few, but Kibum didn’t care. When he pulled just short of the rope, he saw Jungah, that really nice, but highly annoying Beta from Moot Argan, laying bowls of water before each prophetic candidate. From the look on her face, Kibum couldn’t tell if she was debating whether to pounce Jinki so she could sniff his long waist kissing hair, or concentrate on her duties as Oracle apprentice.

He glanced from her to the the bowls of water, knowing what was coming next.

Here comes the stupid part. You would think they could be a little more…dramatic…mysterious…but no. Drugging them? Really? Neanderthals.

Joonmyun was up on the rostrum; his eyes rolled back, the whites of his eyes catching the firelight from the festival grounds. There was one solid beat from the drum and Joonmyun blinked, his brown eyes flying back in focus. Kibum knew at that point whatever telepathic juju that went on between the three Oracles was complete. Joonmyun stood, proving that, and withdrew five vials from the sleeve of his robe.

Kibum wasn’t the most proficient in Latin, so he only caught a few words falling from the Elder of Delphi’s lips. Chosen, fate, decided. Fluff words, nonsense. He hissed under his breath. Kibum wasn’t the most patient when it came to all this extravagant stalling.

Just tell us already.

Joonmyun walked in front of the candidates, stared at them at length before handing a vial to Jungah.

“Nichkhun.”

Soon Jungah was flying to the bowl belonging to the candidate from Morocco Song, emptying the contents into the bronze container. Joonmyun handed her another the moment she returned.

“Yifan.”

She repeated her actions, upturning the vial into Mott Argan’s bowl until it was empty, then returning to Joonmyun side. This continued with Jinki, Minho and Jonghyun, all receiving a different vial.

“Sip, once. Sip, twice. Sip three times.”

The nominees nodded, faces serious and set before raising the bronze bowl to their lips, sipping once, sipping twice, and on the third sip, draining the water to the last drop.

“Now we wait.”

Minutes passed, too long to be counted but not short enough for anyone to lose interest in the ceremony. The crowd was absolutely silent, absolutely still, absolutely enraptured as they stared on.

The first one to drop was Jonghyun, fainting from the strong elixir from his bowl. Kibum’s brows hit his hair line. He’s so strong, though! Soon, Kibum’s grin stretched his face wide. Maybe it isn’t the end after all.

More minutes passed, but it wasn’t long before the next body dropped. Nichkhun rolled forward, knocking his bowl over before fainting with an angry growl. Someone from Morocco Song cursed under their breath before someone else shushed them. In mass, all eyes shifted to the remaining three.

Kibum noticed Minho was still amongst the candidates, which was virtually impossible, biologically and rationally, but Kibum never tempted to question fate. He saw him sway and couldn’t help the frown that replaced the smile across his lips. Kibum was worried.

He’ll be the sickest in recovery! His body isn’t made for this. This was a stupid idea.

Kibum turned, frantic, trying to find Jungsoo in the crowd. Jungsoo should have talked him out of this instead of hyping him up with some ‘know thyself’ bull. If Minho dies because he wanted to keep his stupid secret, I’ll never forgive him or that old pratty shaman!

Before he could locate the herbalist, there was the thud of another body hitting the hard packed dirt. Kibum almost bit his tongue in his hurry to whip around.

Minho?

No.

Yifan. It was Yifan’s body sprawled across the dirt.

No way. No ing way.

Two bodies remained upright, although their chest heaved as they in air, fighting for the strength to remain upright.

Jinki was sweating, chest rising and falling as he fought off the elixir. He was losing the fight and his body was growing tired. Yet, his state was times better than Minho’s.


Minho was completely exhausted. His eyes lolled back and forth in his head and for a moment, he lost control. His body began to shift–fangs poking past his bottom lip, foam salving at the corners of his mouth, claws elongated and fur seeping past skin to cover his neck and chest.

Joonmyun came forward and stood before Jinki and Minho. Changmin came down for the rostrum as well, followed by Boa, both standing on either side of the two shifters.

Boa, small, quiet, times more powerful than most of the wolves in Prae, spoke:

“As the Blood Moon comes, the Blood Moon goes.”

Following her cue, the crowd looked to the sky. The red tint that bled onto the moon’s surface began to recede, not stopping until a brilliant white poured down on them.


Kibum’s eyes shot wide as Boa bent to kiss Minho across the lips. She smiled down at him and moved to Jinki, kissing him the same and sealing their positions.

“Prae now has their Alpha Prime and their Alpha Beta. Bow and show your deference.”

The crowd surrounding the Elders and their new Alpha leaders dropped to their knees and lowered their heads to the ground.

“Rise, Alpha Prime,” Boa said as she looked at Jinki.

On wobbly legs, Jinki stood, twisting slowly towards the crowd. Once he got his barring, with a growl, he shifted into his Lycan form.

Jinki was impressive in his human form, fearsome in his wolf form, however nothing was as magnificent as the sight of him as a Lycan. He rose to his full height and towered over the Elders and his mate. Golden eyes swept over the crowd as he held his head high.

“Rise, Alpha Beta.”

Kibum started, watching Minho heave forward, clearly out of energy. He caught himself, somehow before he tipped over, a hand coming to his knee to support him. Boa reached out to put a hand on his shoulder, but Minho shrugged her off softly. In big lethargic heavy steps, Minho turned towards the crowd. He was shaking and Kibum was seconds from climbing over the rope that forcing him to sit down but miraculously, Minho proved him wrong by transforming into his Lycan form–smaller, thinner, but still formidable. Slowly, he lumbered to Jinki’s side, golden eyes staring up at him.

“Show your pack your fangs.”

Both Lycans obeyed, tipping their heads back and howling at the moon. As their howls echoed off the trees and the mountains, their pack howled back.

It was official. Jinki and most importantly, Minho, were the Alpha leaders of Prae.

Kibum almost fainted.

No, ing way.