His Luck

I Don't Care About Her/Him

“Gayeon.” I call her name.  The shock on her face makes the curves of my lips twitch upward into a smile.  It brings me back to our first encounter years ago when she has been just a new intern with an amazing ability to get herself lost in the building almost every five minutes.  Now that I think about it, did she get lost on purpose just so I can find her?  “Miss me?  It seems fate just loves to see us running into each other.”

She rolled her eyes.  Okay, I suppose it shouldn’t come as a surprise since she apparently has some misunderstandings towards me.

“I hate you.”

I should have been the one to call her out for being a liar. 

I shake the thought away.  After all, how can I, when she is standing in front of me right now?  It seems as if it is already a miracle that I finally get to see her again.

“Park Chanyeol!”

I turn around and see another face that I haven’t meet for a long while.  Surprised to see one of my old buddies from the college days, I wave back, “Oh hey!”

“Seems fate is really treating you well.” My smile suddenly freezes at the sound of her voice.  As crazy as it sounds, because I don’t believe in ghosts and voodoo s, an ominous feeling just comes over me.  “Letting you run into all your friends all at once.  Let’s go, Kangjoon.”

Alright, just who the heck is this Kangjoo punk standing next to her?  Who gives him the right to stand so comfortably next to her?

Wait.  Don’t tell me…No, Baekhyun would have mentioned something.  Actually now that I look at it, that wuss isn’t even her type.  Ha!  Not that I have any idea of her ideal type anymore.  Though, that pathetic-looking guy must not be her type.

“Are those guys your friends?” An arm rests causally over my shoulder.  “Why are they leaving?  You’re not going to introduce them to me?”

“Long story.” And one that doesn’t make much sense either.  I remove Wendy’s arm.  “But hey, haven’t seen you in ages, Wendy!  Where have you been?”  I give her a big hug for old time’s sake.

“Ah, you know my obsession with the nostalgia.  I moved back to Orange County right after grad and started a home business — web design.” She punches me playfully on the chest.  “Anyways, I should be asking you where you have been.  Or specifically, what have you been doing?”

I flash a smile and shrug.  “Still gaming, I guess.”

“You game nerd!” Her eyes narrow, but a mischievous smile is clearly hanging on her features.  “You think I didn’t know how famous you have become in the South Korean gaming industry?  What is this, just because you became famous, you’re not keeping in touch with your old friends anymore?”

“Oh come on, Wendy.  You’re more big-hearted than that.”

“I supposed there’s no argument there.”  She nods in agreement.  “But seriously, you need to know how embarrassing it has been for me for the past several years.   People kept asking me about you since you rose to fame.  Many, if not all, even made comments such as ‘oh, it’s too bad you two broke up’ just because we’ve dated briefly back in college.  Do you know how hard it was for me to find a boyfriend because of you?”

Right, now I remember why we have broken up in the first place.  She is already too chatty as a friend and as a girlfriend, she would nag a lot.  Her nagging rivals my mother, startlingly.  And of course, she thought I was too much of a game nerd.  Well, well…Looks who’s making the big bucks now.

“…my fifth boyfriend found out about it and you know what he said?”

Okay, that doesn’t sound like she’s having any trouble at all finding a boyfriend.  But for the love of heaven, she is still talking!  Maybe that’s why I forget to keep in touch with some of my old buddies.  I sigh, “Would a lunch on me make up for all the troubles that I have so thoughtlessly caused you, Miss Son?”

She crosses her arm and smirks, “That would be a good starting point.  Anyways, I have to find my room first.  But yea, lunch is definitely awesome!  We have so much to catch up!  See you later!”

“Sounds fantastic to me.” I make an effort to keep myself from sounding too sarcastic.

When the girl who never shuts up leaves, my shoulders finally relax.  I pull my luggage and walk towards to the West Wing, where my room is located as printed on the receipt.

~*~

I was a Catholic by birth.  I only became an atheist by the time I got to have my independent opinions.  However, if I deny God now, then it would be the same as denying science and my own existence.

“What are you doing here?”  The surprise in her voice could not be concealed.

I don’t know.  I am just as dumbfounded as her.  I try to chuckle to ease the situation.  “I guess we’re roommates now…”

She stares blankly at me before suddenly screaming on the top of her lungs. 

I cover my ears at the sheer lioness roar-like volume.

“No, this is not happening!” She stalks out of the room before I can stop her.

Oh yes, it’s happening.  I blow a kiss towards the ceiling.  Even God is on my side this time.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:  Slowly getting back to writing mode after mid-terms =]