Her Determination

I Don't Care About Her/Him

I will forget him.

Today marks the start of the rest of my new life — no longer linger with romanticized memories and unrealistic feelings of the past.  Alright, maybe not this quickly.  However, by the time I come back from the camping trip, I will be a new Song Gayeon.

I take a deep breath and hold up my hands in form of fists.  I tell myself, “Fighting, Song Gayeon!”

“Miss, your Earl Grey black tea.” The waiter smiles and places the cup gently on the table.  “Please enjoy.”

“Thank you.” I say, secretly straightening my back.

Oh my gosh…This is so embarrassing!  Stupid Seo Kangjoon!  I wouldn’t be talking to myself if he is here already.  I glance at my watch and it reads 8:27AM.  He should have been here half an hour ago.

Seo Kangjoon is only ever on time for business meetings, especially when a deal is about to be sealed — a true capitalist.  Maybe he sets a great example as a boss, constantly reminding employees to work hard where it counts.  However, as a friend, his tardiness is quite frustrating at times.  I wish Taeyeon is here to give him a good smack on the head so he would get his things together; I can’t give him too harsh of a lecture since he is technically still my boss, being a friend aside.  Kangjoon’s attitude towards time management often clashes with Taeyeon’s impatient personality.  Unfortunately, often the onus is then placed on me to prevent World War III from happening.  Thinking on this point, perhaps it is better that Taeyeon couldn’t make this trip, despite the fact she is the one who has been pushing for this trip to happen in the first place.

I take a sip of the black tea while watching through the café window as the cars drive by.  The streets of Tokyo always seem so busy.  I can’t help but wonder if my life would just pass by like that too…Never get to stop long enough to see clearly the surroundings for what they truly worth.  I’m scared that I would end up missing something precious along the way.  I shake my head and take another sip of the bittersweet tea.  It’s embarrassing.  I still dream about romance of the youth even though I am no longer a teenager.

Just then, my phone vibrates.  I pick it up, “About time!”

“Sorry…” Seo Kangjoon has apologized enough times that I no longer buy into his guilty act.  “I just parked my car outside.  Just help me order the usual and we’ll be on our way.”

After a moment of deliberation, I sigh, “Fine.” 

I hate arguments so early in the morning, especially knowing that he is great at coming up with excuses.  Patience is a virtue, I keep telling myself.

~*~

“Oh yea, never got a chance to ask you.” He says as the car stops at the red light.  “So how was your dinner date?”

One of the greatest obstacles in life is that the moment you want to start afresh, people will start showing up to remind you of the past.

“As usual.” Then I add, “Nothing special.”

“Really?  I heard from Taeyeon that you know him.”

“If you have already heard about it from her, then why ask me?”

“Well, I’m just curious why didn’t you go for him?  He’s handsome and financially stable.”

“She exaggerated.  He’s not that handsome.”  I deny.  The last thing I need is to remind myself how dashing he had been in that blue sweater. 

“Who doesn’t know she exaggerates?” He responds.  “However, I did some research.  Park Chanyeol, young and one of the most sought-after game designers in the market right now.  Also, currently a consultant for one of the big gaming companies.  Totally deserves a spot in the Top Thirties Under Thirties.”

I am mortified to say the less.  I swear, someday these two busybodies, Seo Kangjoon and Kim Taeyeon, will be the death of me.

“Sounds to me you’re interested in him.” I say sarcastically.

“I am.  Seems like someone I should definitely add to my network.  Hey, do you think he or the companies he’s working with need any marketing services?  If there’s a business deal, it would probably up our sales by a huge margin.”

I look at him with disgusted.  He is a true capitalist pig.

“But getting back to you.  For once, I agree with Taeyeon.  You’re too picky.  He sounds perfect to me.”

Perfect?  Him?  Ha!

“Perfect?  Then, you can have him.”  I look at the view through the window, hoping the conversation would just drop dead. 

Through the reflection on the window, I can see him shaking his head in disapproval.  “You will never get marry at this rate.  You’re not young anymore.”

That’s it!

“Same to you, Mr. Seo.” I snap, “Stop acting like a teenage boy and just ask that waitress out already? Suzy, wasn’t that her name?”

He is really hopeless.  Despite living with two sisters and having two female best friends, he is still completely clueless when it comes to women.  That poor girl has been throwing hints at him here and there.  Whenever I tell him, he denies it.  If he gets friendzoned one day, I’ll say he deserves it a hundred percent.

“Alright, alright. Ceasefire.” He finally surrenders.  “No more personal attacks, especially regarding age and dating.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Geez, I just don’t understand women.  You people just make things so complicated.”

“It’s you guys who see us as complicated.  Trust me, we’re not.” I shoot back at him.

Perhaps each girl is unique, but I don’t believe we’re all that complicated to understand by the end of the day.  Sure, it might take a little bit of time, but we’re really not that complicated.

Surprisingly, he knows me for a long time and yet he has been blind to my thoughts.  Some Casanova he is.  Maybe, he pretended not to notice.  Fine, it’s his right to choose ignorance.  However, if he has made his choice, then he should have stayed with it until the end.  Why would he try to date me now?  After not seeing him for so long, I would hate to be thought as one of those replaceable candidates for him to pass boredom with.  I despise him.

“Alright, we’re here!” Kangjoon announces as he parks the car.  “It’s kind of weird that Taeyeon is not here though.  She was the only one enthusiastic about the trip.”

“Yeah,” I respond. “This trip is supposed to be a bachelorette party for her.”

“Bachelorette party?” He looks offended for a moment before he sighs, “You know what? I’ll just pretend I didn’t hear that.”

I hold back a smile.

“So Baekhyun is finally proposing?” He asks as we walk to the back of the car to get our luggages.

“Not sure.” I shrug.  “But she is positive that he will after her mother approves this time.”

“So again, it’s just all speculations.  I’ll tell you, you girls would make a pair of very dangerous gamblers on Wall Street.” He shakes his head.

I roll my eyes.  Such a capitalistic nerd.

“Gayeon.”

The hairs on my skin stand up.  I can recognize that voice anywhere.  I turn and there he is, standing just a few feet away from me.  This can’t be happening!

“Miss me?” He smirks.  An air of arrogance hanging over him.  “It seems fate just loves to see us running into each other.”

“Wow, what are the chances?  Top Thirties Under Thirties.” I really want to put my dear friend into a coma state for making that uncalled for comment.

“Park Chanyeol!” Suddenly, a girl runs excitedly towards us.  Or more precisely, she is running towards him.

He turns and greets back, “Oh hey!”

Of course, it never seems right without at least a girl hanging by his side.  Figures.  He will never change.

“Seems fate is really treating you well, letting you run into all your friends all at once.” Intentionally, I smile all the more sweetly. “Let’s go, Kangjoon.”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Apologies for the late update.  But as usual, my excuse is that one thing always leads to another somehow.  But here I am now with an update! =D  
Also, just realized that this story is more of  a romcom, with the exception of the first two chapters, so I just added the comedy tag. =D

 

Aiya, updated the wrong chapter in the wrong story today, SORRY!!! - October 23, 2014.  But will update this story soon. >__<