The Wish Fountain – Her View

I Don't Care About Her/Him

The sun sets slowly behind the tall trees as my tea cools off.  The heat from the cup escapes into its surroundings.  I take a sip from the cup and settle it down onto the plate again.  It tastes slightly bitter at first, but then a bud of sweetness quickly blossoms across my tongue.

"Mm...You should definitely try some of this Flaming Sundae.  It's delicious!" Kangjoon suggests with dips of the sundae smears all over his lips.

"Nah, I'll be having dinner over at Taeyeon's place," I sigh, "She's been trying to hook me up with blind dates these days.  You should come with me, in case I need back up to push off those 'potential soul mates'."  He shakes his head.  "Please?  You can cut off ten per cent of my salary!"  I plead.

He clumsily scoops up another spoonful of the sundae, "Oh come on, they aren't that bad.  You just have some unreasonable high standard issues.  You gotta loosen up a notch or two.  And besides, I have a date tonight."

"Oh, who's the lucky lady?" I ask, obviously full of interest.

"My mom.  I promised to be home for dinner tonight," he explains as if it was the most normal thing in the world to do.  He cleans his face with a napkin after the last scoop of his sundae.

"Maybe Taeyeon should set you up with blind dates." I laugh.

"Been there, done that," he responds, "The kind of dates she ever chooses for me composes of old hags, nutcases, or just plain airheads."

"Right.  Or maybe, you already have your eyes set for a special waitress here..."

"That's crazy talk!" he quickly interrupts, and checks behind him to see if the girl of his dream hears the comment.

I roll my eyes. "If you really like her, then just ask her out."

"It's not as easy as it sounds..." he says, "Well, I gotta go.  You pay this time and the next time is on me."

"You're pretty cheap for a boss," I state.

"It's call being thrifty," he corrects, "You'll catch on someday, little girl."

It always occurs to me how strange I am to decide on a whim to work in Japan right after I've received my CPA designation.  I don't know anything about here from the start.  I don't know about their language and customs.  Though I do know one thing...He used to come here a lot.  It is funny how I've never once travelled here with him and now I'm here all by myself.  Why is that everything I do always seem to link back to him?  He is a jerk, an idiot, a moron, and I shouldn't even be thinking about him.  No, I didn't come to Japan because of him.  I'm here because Kangjoon is such a great boss and Taeyeon is my childhood best friend.  More importantly, she doesn't know about him.  Not that I care.  I just don't want people keep questioning me about him.  They've always thought that I liked him and that was why I didn't accept Minwoo's proposal.  Yeah right, I would never like him.

I stop when I reach one of those wish fountains again.

"Oh, who am I kidding...?" I sigh, "I like him and always have...I miss the way he used to look over my shoulder and tried to make some kind of charming comments."

I take out a coin and put it between my palms, "I wish he is here."

I throw the coin into the middle of the fountain.  I'm such a loser.  Oh well, it's not like this fountain is really magical.  I get out my ringing cell phone.  I answer, "Hello?"

"Hey Gayeon!  It's Taeyeon.  Could you help me get some fish on your way here?" Taeyeon continues, "I seemed to have forgotten all about it."

"No problem," I reply.  "Oh yeah, you need some help with the cooking?  I don't remember you being much of a chef.  Unless if you're planning to poison Baekhyun."

"I'm not in the mood to poison him right now.  Hm...It would be a good idea, especially to let your date know how great a wife you would make!" she says excitingly.

"Don't tell me," I say wearily, "another blind date?"

"He's a friend of Baekhyun.  I think you will like him."

"Uh huh..." I respond.  "It's like behind every dinner you plan out, there's always a price to tag along with it."

"Don't be such an unreasonable high standard ."

"I don't consider myself having high standards.  I just can't find the right guy," I counter.  "See you later."

And it's not as easy as it sounds to find the right guy...I stuff the phone back into my handbag.

~*~

The dirt peels itself off the vegetables almost immediately when the water tackles it.  I clean the vegetables a little bit longer just in case.  Now where's that knife?

"Taeyeon, can you help me find the vegetable knife?" I ask, "I put it near the sink a moment ago."

"I'm using it," Taeyeon replies.

"Oh, then I guess I should start on the fish," I volunteer.

"He's one of Baekhyun's best buddies," Taeyeon says out of nowhere.

"Who?" I ask.  I haven't really been paying attention to her.

"Baekhyun's friend  your date tonight," She explains.  "God, pay more attention.  I'm trying to help you here."

"He isn't bald is he?" I joke, although half being serious.  I remember Taeyeon has actually set me up with a bald guy who has called himself an 'artiste' once.  Being bald was one thing, but when he asked me to feel his head, that had been one of the most disturbing moments of my life.

"I'll get it!" Taeyeon hurries out of the kitchen upon hearing the doorbell.

I sigh.  Maybe I do have high standards, but that doesn't mean I should lower them.  At least my standards are not unreasonable.  Maybe Kangjoon and Taeyeon are all being crazy.  I sure hope this guy won't be some kind of 'artiste'.  God, I can't stand them...At least, I can't stand the ones Taeyeon introduces.

"Mm...At least the soup tastes good," I taste a spoonful.  "But could need some salt."

I search the cabinets, but find nothing except for pepper, sugar, and other kitchen utensils.

"Taeyeon, I think you're out of salt!" I shout, going out to the living room.  "Taeyeon..."

I stop when I see him standing beside Baekhyun.  He's my dinner date?

"Gayeon..." he says.  It has been a while since I hear his voice, the way my name rolls off his tongue.

"Oh hey..." I respond, "Long time no see..."

Why is he here?  I have been avoiding him for the past few years and now he is standing here with the same stupid grin taped across his face as if everything is alright.  How am I supposed to act throughout dinner tonight?