The Trolley Problem

Living Lies (A Kindaichi Hajime X S.T. Aoyama Sho Crossover)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

日本語 101

Japanese 101

Baka 馬鹿 means Stupid / Idiot 
Koe 声 means Voice
Baka Baka Shii 馬鹿馬鹿しい means Laughable
Chan ちゃん means little one, an honorific usually reserved for children or people who are close friends
Mou もう means Again? What?
Desu Ka ですか means Is it?
Hai はい means Yes
Minna 皆 means Everyone
Matte 待って means Wait
Chotto Matte Kudasai ちょっと まってください means Wait a moment (Polite)
Bishounen 美 means Beautiful boy
Naze なぜ means Why
Kun 君 means an honorific for senior to address junior (When addressing female)
nii-san兄さん  means Elder Brother
Chibi ちび / チビ means Small
San さん means Mr, Mrs, A universally to address people out of respect 
Orokashii 愚かしい means Foolish
Koibito 恋人 means Lover
Ikimasho 行きましょう means Lets go

It was a bright and cheery day outside the café but the lonesome wolf was unable to force a smile to match the weather. It had been far too long ago since he last cracked a smile for anyone he knew. Unlike the rest of them, that baka Yurine cap was still forcing himself to grin daily despite their loss.

Taking a deep breath to calm his nervousness, Akagi Samon tried to analyse on the possible outcome of this unplanned meeting. Without that baka cap, Yurine Tomohisa, or his second and only choice which would still most likely to mess-up Aoyama Sho to act as his translator, it was highly possible for him to also to mess things up again.

Just like how his profiler would have issues when dealing with common folks. They were that alike that Yurine often wondered if they were related since they were both nothing but trouble-makers. Just because he saw himself in her and how people had repeatedly compared the two of them together, Akagi Samon was even more demanding on that kid than what he would have expected from the rest. It was a decision which most S.T. members disagreed upon, feeling that he was being too extreme on the youngest member. But Yurine understood later on that it was Akagi's way of protecting that kid, to prevent her from repeating his mistakes.

But it seemed that his way of protecting her never really got through her, or else she would never have run away from them when facing a life-altering problem. At the end of the day, their youngest member still did not trust them enough after going through all the ups and downs. As a leader, he had failed the kid during her worst time. But this time, he would not allow history to repeat itself again.

Standing up from his table, Akagi Samon looked over to where the young heiress was sitting and frowned at the choice of food which was on the table.

“Aoyama would have ordered something as disgustingly sweet like Coke and start eating a slice of the most colourful cake in the cafe,” the ex-S.T. Leader Akagi Samon could not stop himself from comparing between the young heiress and his profiler.

Despite having prepared himself for the meeting with the Shida heiress, Akagi was still shocked when his eyes were upon the young lady. It was as though he was meeting somebody who had just returned from the land of the dead.

'I supposed it's a good thing that baka detective decided not to follow me instead if he meets Shida Mirai, there's no way he would believe that she is not Aoyama. But neither can I... accept it.' 

It was perhaps the perfect cover-up if nobody knew about them because the physical similarities between Shida Mirai and Aoyama Sho were uncanny to the point of eeriness. If he had not known better, he would have thought it was another case of the dead returning to live. Unlike most members, he knew more about that brat than he was willing to reveal. His silence was a form of his protectiveness over her while her silence gave her a new breath of life which she never had in her original life.

'Original life, how insulting yet... how fitting...' Akagi shook his head as he recalled the double lives his profiler struggled to balance each day. He had once scolded the young profiler for being a hopeless baka by insisting on getting herself hurt repeatedly by those heartless cruel power hunger corporate family of hers. 

But how could he blame a child who grew up with Emotional Deprivation Disorder? 

As the resident psychology expert between the two of them, Aoyama Sho was the first person to put a name on the source of their monstrous behavioural. According to Aoyama, Emotional Deprivation Disorder was considered as a syndrome which resulted from the history of lack of authentic affirmation and emotional strengthening by another in life. Akagi had agreed that it applied to his past experience in some sense, which had helped to explain why he was so willing to open up to Yurine once the baka Cap of theirs tried to show him support and concern.

Just as Aoyama had explained to him that EDD could not be cured as the unaffirmed people were incapable on their own of developing into emotionally mature adults until they received authentic affirmation from another person. And in his case, he had his much-needed affirmation in a form of Yurine Tomohisa. 

Akagi Samon would always remember how serious but cold and detached the profiler was when she was explaining Emotional Deprivation Disorder to him.

"A person might have been criticized, ignored, abandoned, neglected, abused, or emotionally rejected by primary caregivers early in life, resulting in the person’s arrested emotional development," Aoyama recited the definition she read from the textbook in a monotonous tone, refusing to meet his eyes during the whole conversation.   

It was then he realised that his profiler had a hidden story to tell, but could not find the courage or confidence to speak to anyone.

Just like how Aoyama was unable to profile Akagi Samon, Aoyama Sho was unable to understand herself. Simply because they were too alike and Aoyama Sho never truly understood her own self. Hence, the two of them were unable to identify the reason for their failure until they met Yurine Tomohisa.

But Yurine like many who had met S.T. had thought of him as the main monster in the unit and was most anxious to help him. What no one realised was, even though he was said to have a glass heart, it was Aoyama, who hiding an unspoken sense of inferiority inadequacy deep within her and needed the most help. Because his profiler could spot a lie a mile away, she had also the ability to hide it from anyone behind a carefully crafted mask. With the emotional immaturity, young age and psychology background, that baka brat had tried to hide everything from everyone. Not knowing that each S.T. member was simply waiting for her to share with them her issues.

'Baka Aoyama! Why would you insist on lying to everyone and yourself for the sake of maintaining the relationship with those you care for? You should have known that those who really cared for you would never allow you to hurt yourself like this... I wish I could have known this earlier, if I did, you won't have to live through it all... We never realised that it was that big of an issue whenever you tried to wave it off when Yurine asked about it... Time was never a solution for you, isn't it? We thought you would figure it out in time but... Time was never on your side, was it? That countdown timer you set on your computer was actually being used to count down to your disappearance after all,' Akagi Samon cursed in his heart, his profiler could never be trusted to make a decision on her own because she would always end up sacrificing a part of herself for others, 'You silly little kid! If I ever find you again, I will make Kurosuki guard you closely and even allow him to use force on you to ensure that you are safe! You baka little brat!' 

He had his doubts when he was asked to certify Aoyama's death, but with her blood and DNA on the body matching what was found on the body, he could not prove otherwise then. There was a time when he truly thought that Aoyama had planned her own death when he discovered that countdown timer on her computer but he had refused to believe it. Simply because if there was anyone his profiler would like to kill off, it would most probably be the young heiress, Shida Mirai instead. But that brat was too gentle to cause any hurt upon anyone, even to her undeserving parents.

He understood now the purpose of the countdown timer. It was a reminder that his profiler was living on borrowed time, or in a more cruel way, living lies for a chance of a short getaway from her designated fate. But nobody would have realised it's meaning at all and disregard it as something Aoyama Sho was playing with at the moment. 

Yet, things appeared to be different now when a murder was involved.

The Aoyama Sho he knew would never have hurt anyone, but somebody was dead nevertheless, during the switchback.

The seed of doubt in his mind had caused him to follow the cold case till now. It was clear to him that the switchback was obviously by force and it was no coincidence that it had happened during the 24th birthday of the missing Shida heiress, the same date that the said heiress was supposed to take over the Shida Corps as its latest CEO. 

When the media reported that the Shida heiress was back after being overseas for the past 2 years, he knew something was truly wrong, very very wrong.

Without any doubt, the return of the young heiress would be the breakthrough he had been searching for during these two years. Whether it was Aoyama or Shida, one thing was clear, he had to meet her to find out what was really going on.

But it was easier said than done.

It was on a hunch which he had asked Yuuki Midori to launch an attack on the Kamiki Industrial website to draw Kamiki away, in order to split the inseparable couple.

Based on the brief profiling analysis he had done on the media favourite new corporate power couple Kamiki Ryunosuke and Shida Mirai, he knew that he would need to avoid the man if he wanted to reach out to the young heiress. The way the two of them stuck to each other all the time made him felt sick. Surely no one could stand another person for that long a period of time?

Or was it all simply an act in actual?

He could still tell that Shida Mirai had appeared to be wary of her said fiancé. The little facts that her face looked tensed whenever her so-called fiancé was around her and how she tried to look away when Kamiki's glaze on was her for more than a few seconds were signs which he could not miss. But what really sparked his doubts was how Kamiki Ryunsuke reacted when she shied away from him. The cold glare and the thinning of his lips had expressed his displease loud and clear to anyone who knew exactly what to look out for.

'So it's not really a happily ever after fairy-tale just like how the media report after all...' the forensics scientist rolled his eyes at the news clip video he was watching over his mobile phone earlier, 'if she is truly Aoyama, she would have known how untrustworthy that Kamiki gaki is in a heartbeat and stayed away from him!'

'Stupid girl...'

But meeting the young heiress had proven to be a difficult task for him as the girl kept reminding him of his missing profiler, Aoyama Sho. He had tried to avoid thinking about S.T. and his profiler during the past two years as guilt eating him from within whenever he remembered how he failed to protect his profiler and team. But it took only one glance at the next table where the young heiress was sitting, and all his thoughts about Aoyama Sho comeback with a vengeance.

“How could they look so alike but behaved entirely differently,” the forensics scientist pondered to himself, “there was nothing in behavioural about Shida Mirai which could remind anyone of Aoyama Sho. But anyone who has ever met them could tell that they were the same person at one glance.”

Instead of frowning deep in thoughts like what the Shida heiress was doing, the Aoyama Sho he knew would have grinned happily at the opportunity to eat all those teeth-rotting cakes. Yuuki would be delightfully sharing with that kid her plate full of cakes while Yamabuki and Kurosaki would continue to spoil that little brat by buying more cakes from the café.

And that Baka Cap Yurine would probably be busying trying to wipe the crumbs and cream off a cake dirty faced but happy looking Aoyama. 

Trying hard to swallow the sudden uncomfortable sensation in his throat at the thought of his former S.T. members, Akagi Samon tried to force himself to meet the young heiress by trying to convince himself, ‘It’s just Aoyama, she looks like Aoyama. If I can speak to Aoyama, I am not afraid to speak to the Shida girl at all.’

“Err hum,” Akagi Samon tried to clear his throat to greet the girl, but to his embarrassment, his words refused to come out.

Startled by the sudden appearance of a man at her table, Shida Mirai was pulled out of the mental conversation with Koe-chan immediately. Looking at the cool looking man who appeared to be troubled as he attempted to comb his hair with his hand, Shida Mirai could not help but smile at his obvious nervousness.

‘Akagi-san is still not good at approaching a stranger,’ the young heiress grinned to herself, not realising that a previously unknown fact had helped her to identify the stranger in front of her automatically without any introduction.

“Akagi-san I assume?” Shida Mirai offered the man a little smirk as she recalled his uncomfortableness with a stranger, “please have a sit.” 

Blinking his eyes at her Aoyama-ish knowing little smirk, Akagi Samon could almost see a shadow of Aoyama Sho in the girl, and approached her warily, “Shida… Mirai...desu ka?”

“Hai,” the Shida heiress nodded in acknowledgement, waiting for Akagi to explain the reason for asking her to meet him.

Staring straight ahead at Shida Mirai, Akagi Samon could not help but sigh disappointedly to himself. For the briefest moment, he had hoped that the girl in front of him would deny his claim and scold him as though Aoyama would have for mistaking their identities. He had held on to the slight hope that Aoyama Sho would recognise him.

But the clear strong glaze and confident look which Shida Mirai had projected to him with the word of acknowledgement had ruined his last hope.   

“You reminded me of my profiler,” avoiding the expecting eyes of the young heiress, the forensic scientist added offhandedly as a form of explanation, “though you are not alike.”

“Your profiler, as in Aoyama Sho-san, the S.T. famous profiler who freed the hostages at the expense of his life?” Shida Mirai questioned curiously, as no one in the family was willing to share with her about the hostage crisis.

While she had personally researched on this hostage crisis when she was in the United States with Kamiki, there was little information and photographs she could find on the incident. While the young profiler’s name was widely publicised online by netizens after the incident, there was no actual photograph of the young profiler provided by the agency or media. All that was existing was the last video shot by an audience in the crowd showing the back view of Aoyama Sho walking into the Shida building with cries of disbelief from the surrounding crowd. The uploader of that video named it the Unsung Hero of the Shida Hostage Incident because the TMPD had never officially recognised Aoyama Sho as the hero for the rescue.

Other than that video, there was nothing else anyone could get their hands on about the ill-fated profiler. Members of S.T. stood together behind the decision that their assistant team leader should not be used as another marketing tool for the TMPD.

But even without a photograph of the young profiler, with the reputation as TMPD’s ace profiler and the youngest officer on the team, words about the aloof and quirky profiler soon reached the ears of media and became a hot topic for conversation online. The young profiler, despite S.T. members’ efforts, still ended up being popularised by many people who stood out after the incident to share about Aoyama Sho. 

The stories shared were a mixture of good and bad. While the hostages would waste no time in singing praises of the young profiler who ended their nightmare, there were still whispers leaking from inside, criticizing the young profiler for past attitude issues.

Some said that the young profiler had been poorly chosen because of lack of understanding of the situation on hand. It was noted by many that the young profiler was thrown to the cage almost instantly upon arriving on the scene without any briefing. 

But many claimed that the young profiler had probably forfeited his chance of survival by angering the captors with his usual arrogant and recklessness. As a result, the explosive jacket he wore explo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter