Chapter 18

[HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE] Beauty and the Beasts
Please log in to read the full chapter

                                                                                                                                                                                                                            previous chapter re-cap     

Gina returns back to her normal schedule of taking care of the children in the orphanage and living with her husband Eunmi finally reveals her true intentions of why she is living in the mansion with the men and also shows proof of being a physical abuse victim The men swear that they will do everything they can to protect Eunmi from her step-brother Eunhyuk at all costs

[INDENT] "Bye, Grandmother! I'm going out to get some groceries!"

[INDENT] Minji left the kitchen and walked straight out of the mansion. Putting on her boots, she went over what she needed to get from the grocery store in her mind. Minji stood up, brushed off the dust from her skirt, and walked on the pathway that would lead her out of the Lee family's property.

[INDENT] As she walked, she felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket, so her hand dove into her pocket and automatically accepted the call. "Hello?"

[INDENT] "Minji! It's me, Eunmi!"

[INDENT] Minji made a loud gasp and quickly looked around to see if anyone was there. Then, she hurriedly walked down the pathway. "Eunmi! Where the hell were you? I thought you fell off the face of the earth!"

[INDENT] "I know, I'm really sorry. I've been... caught up with other things when I got to the mansion." Eunmi answered apologetically.

[INDENT] "What other things? It's just you in the mansion, right?"

[INDENT] There was only silence on the other end.

[INDENT] "Lee Eun Mi! Answer me!"

[INDENT] "I... I'm not the only one in the mansion."

[INDENT] "Then who? Is the mansion haunted with ghosts?" Minji immediately asked. "Well, I guess that's certainly better than living with your step-family..." She mumbled to herself.

[INDENT] "They're kind of like... friends of my grandfather."

[INDENT] "So... you're living with a bunch of old guys?"

[INDENT] Eunmi mumbled back, "No, they're not old guys! They're around the same age... as Eunhyuk."

[INDENT] Minji nearly dropped her phone. "What?! Why are you still even there? Run while you can, Eunmi! Do they have you in captivity?"

[INDENT] "Minji, calm down!" Eunmi pleaded on the phone. "I'm fine. I technically have ownership of the mansion, so I could ask them to leave... but they took care of my grandfather... so I owe them a lot."

[INDENT] Minji placed her cellphone in between her shoulder and head to push open the gate. After she closed it, Minji held her cellphone. "Eunmi... are you sure they're telling the truth? You're pretty gullible..."

[INDENT] "They are telling the truth, Minji. They... were the ones in charge of my grandfather's funeral. They were the ones who sent the request of coming to his funeral to my father. They also certainly know a lot of things about him... they're technically my family." Eunmi quietly replied.

[INDENT] Minji was silent. She knew how Eunmi has felt about her parents' ordeal with her biological mother's grandfather and how she longed to be close to her grandfather. Perhaps... this would be the best way for her to do so. The only thing Minji could do now was to be supportive of Eunmi's decisions. She was no longer a part of the mansion where she had grown up in; she was on her own now.

[INDENT] "Okay," Minji said with a smile. "Tell me all about them as I go get some groceries!"

[INDENT] As Minji shopped for groceries, Eunmi told her about the men in the mansion. They sounded friendly, and she could tell that Eunmi was happy being with them instead of her step-brother. Eunmi also told her that she had learned how to cook instant noodles, and that made Minji laugh; never did she think that Eunmi would be able to cook anything.

[INDENT] "So how are my parents?" Eunmi asked.

[INDENT] Minji was now walking back to the mansion after spending thirty minutes at the grocery store. Thankfully, she only carried one bag of groceries. "Well, they've been in and out of the mansion. Not much has happened with them since you've left. It seems... normal." Minji did not dare say that Eunmi's parents flat-out neglected the fact that Eunmi was "working at the laboratory".

[INDENT] "... And my step-brother?"

[INDENT] Minji gulped nervously. "Well... when your step-brother isn't with Donghae, he becomes more anxious and lashes out at the workers whenever he gets the chance."

[INDENT] Eunmi continued to question Minji. "Has his drinking problem gotten worse?"

[INDENT] "You could say that..." Eunmi mumbled. Ever since Eunmi left, Eunhyuk resumed bringing girls home from the clubs he goes to late at night. During the day, he is usually not seen out of his rooms, and maids bring bottles of alcohol to and from his room.

[INDENT] "I almost forgot! Your grandmother and Minhyuk! How are they?"

[INDENT] "My grandma's fine. She's healthy and happy. Thanks for asking." Minji said with a smile, noting Eunmi's thoughts of Minji's family. "My brother, however..."

[INDENT] "What? What did Minhyuk do this time?" Eunmi asked.

[INDENT] "It's not that, Eunmi. It's rather the lack of what he's been doing... I don't even see him any more..." Minji said as she finally approached the gates to the Lees' mansion. She put down her groceries, put her cellphone in between her ear and shoulder, and pushed the gate open. Minji brought the bag of groceries to the other side of the gate before she repeated the same steps to close the gate.

[INDENT] Eunmi replied, "That's strange... He isn't doing some housing project, is he?"

[INDENT] "I have no idea... But listen, let's talk again soon; I'm back at the mansion, and I don't want anyone asking who I'm talking to. I can call you with this number, right?"

[INDENT] "Yes! This is one of the men's cell phones. Call me when you need me, and he'll give me the phone." Eunmi responded.

[INDENT] Minji sighed. "Alright, take care, Eunmi. I'll talk to you soon."

[INDENT] "You too, Minji! I love you!" Eunmi squeaked before Minji laughed and hung up the phone.

[INDENT] Minji put her phone away in her skirt pocket before continuing on the path down to the front of the mansion. It was morning when she left to go get groceries, but now it was just before lunch time, which meant that Minji came home right on time. While she was walking, a voice came from behind her.

[INDENT] "Miss Minji, may I speak to you?"

[INDENT] Minji nearly dropped her bag of groceries from the sudden sound and she whirled around to see the owner of the voice. Her heart nearly dropped at the sight of him, as she was not expecting him to see him at all: Eunhyuk.

[INDENT] "Y-young Master Lee!" Minji quickly responded before she bowed. "H-how long were you standing there?"

[INDENT] Eunhyuk gave Minji a smirk that gave her a strange feeling in her stomach. "Not very long. Why were you so startled?"

[INDENT] "U-um, it's just that I haven't seen you out of your bedroom for such a long time, Y-young Master Lee!" Minji stammered. "D-did you need any cleaning done?"

[INDENT] "That's quite alright, although I do want you to come up with me to see a certain... problem."

[INDENT] Minji fidgeted with her bag of groceries. "Have you already asked my brother? He knows more about maintenance than I do, Young Master Lee."

[INDENT] "I have already asked your brother; he can't seem to figure out the solution to the problem, so I have decided to ask you instead." Eunhyuk stated while staring at Minji, making the skin of her arms itch.

[INDENT] "Yes, sir. Let me go put these groceries away first." Minji bowed before she took off her shoes, entered the mansion, and sped to the direction of the small kitchen-house outside where her grandmother was making lunch. Eunhyuk silently followed Minji until she entered the kitchen-house.

[INDENT] When Minji came in, her grandmother looked up and a wide smile grew on her face. "Minji-yah! You're back!" She looked behind her granddaughter to see Eunhyuk loitering in front of the kitchen-house. "Minji... did your brother cause trouble again?"

[INDENT] Minji quickly put the groceries in the appropriate places in the cabinets, refrigerator, and cupboards. "No, he just wants me to check up on something. One of the maids probably forgot to clean something and wants me to do it."

[INDENT] "Alright..." Her grandmother said as she silently cut the slab of meat on her cutting board into thin slices. "Just come back quickly afterwards." She didn't realize that she and her granddaughter shared the same ominous aura coming from Eu

Please log in to read the full chapter