Chapter 17

[HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE] Beauty and the Beasts
Please log in to read the full chapter

                                                                                                                                                                                                                            previous chapter re-cap     

Gina tells Eunmi her connections to the men in the mansion and Eunmi's grandfather, including her past relationship with Doojoon Gina reunites with the men after a long period of time while slyly confirming Hyunseung's crush on Eunmi Eunmi becomes brave enough to tell Gina her past and how she ended up in the mansion

 

​                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          chapter seventeen     

[INDENT] Two weeks after Gina kept fussing over Eunmi and her health, she was called back to the orphanage where she worked. Eunmi and the men were at the front of the house about to say goodbye to Gina. Junhyung and Yoseob whined about Gina leaving, but she immediately flicked their foreheads and told them to "grow up, because you're not little pups any more."

[INDENT] "Will we ever see each other again?" Eunmi quietly asked as Gina checked to see if she had all other belongings with her.

[INDENT] Gina looked up and smiled. "Of course, Eunmi! Come stop by the orphanage whenever you can; I'm sure one of the men can guide you there, right?"

[INDENT] Dongwoon nodded feverishly. "Of course, noona! We should come visit you too and hyung-nim!"

[INDENT] "Good; I'm sure we both would appreciate that. He hasn't seen you guys since the wedding." Gina replied with a warm smile while sensing Doojoon's uncomfortableness from the corner of her eye. "I really must go now. The taxi's probably already here."

[INDENT] "Do you want me to walk you there?" Eunmi asked, feeling a small part of her dying realizing that Gina was going to leave the mansion.

[INDENT] Gina shook her head. "No, it's alright; I can find my way out. Besides, the walk back is treacherous, and it would be detrimental to your health! Make sure you guys take care of Eunmi when I'm gone, okay?" She gave a mischievous look at Hyunseung, whose face immediately reddenned.

[INDENT] "Of course, noona!" Yoseob said. "Anything for you and Eunmi."

[INDENT] Gina laughed. "Okay, if you say so; Eunmi, if you need anything, get my phone number from Junhyung. If they're being pains-in-the-, definitely call me." She gave a wink before walking down the steps from the front door as the men complained.

[INDENT] "Bye, Gina-unnie!" Eunmi called out as she dashed to the door and waved goodbye. Gina turned around and waved back until she disappeared from Eunmi's and the men's sights.

[INDENT] Eunmi turned around and was startled by the way the men stared at her. "W-what?" Eunmi asked with wide eyes.

[INDENT] Doojoon scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "I-it's nothing, Eunmi. Let's just head back to our rooms. If you want lunch, find something in the kitchen."

[INDENT] Soon, everyone slowly dispersed throughout the mansion as if Gina's stay was non-existent. Eunmi looked at the retreating backs of the men with a slight frown before turning around to look out the door again. Back to the beginning, I guess..., she thought.

[INDENT] Eunmi had eventually went back to her room since there wasn't much left to do in the mansion without Gina. She hugged her knees, making the hem of her gray dress inched own her black tights-clad thighs. Eunmi sighed; she felt lonely and out-of-place among the "pack" of men. She wished she had more female companions  in this town...

[INDENT] "Wait, Minji!" Eunmi gasped out loud. She had been so caught up with what has been going on in the mansion that she had forgotten about Minji and Minhyuk back at home. "I was supposed to contact her when I got here... that was nearly a month ago! I'm so stupid!" Eunmi hissed at herself.

[INDENT] Eunmi reached for her phone and was about to hit "call", but she stopped herself. Wait... I shouldn't use my phone. What if Eunhyuk is able to trace my calls to find out where I am? I know he doesn't have the tools to do that, but he definitely has friends who do..., Eunmi thought. What do I do now? ... There's only one other option...

[INDENT] She got off her bed, smoothed out her dress, and fixed her hair before she got out of her room. Eunmi then headed to Doojoon's room, where his door was slightly ajar. She quietly knocked and heard Doojoon say, "Come in!" With a deep breath, Eunmi entered the room.

[INDENT] Doojoon, with his back turned towards Eunmi, said, "Yoseob, for the last time, you cannot drive my truck to get groceries. Use your bicycle."

[INDENT] "But... I'm not Yoseob?"

[INDENT] Doojoon immediately spun around in his chiar. "E-eunmi! What are you doing here? I thought you were Yoseob! Sorry about that." He immediatley moved his hand up to the back of his neck to scratch it.

[INDENT] Eunmi gave Doojoon a small smile. "It's alright; I actually need to ask you something."

[INDENT] "Sure. What do you need?"

[INDENT] "I... Is there a home phone I can use?" Eunmi asked, not looking at Doojoon directly.

[INDENT] Doojoon had a confused look on his face. "Why would you need the home phone? I mean, we have one, but don't you have a cell phone?"

[INDENT] Eunmi shifted uncomfortably. "I-I do... but I can't use it."

[INDENT] "Why? Is it out of batteries? I'm sure one of the guys here has the same model as your phone and can give you his charger." Doojoon offered.

[INDENT] "It's not that..."

[INDENT] Doojoon's complexion became even more perplexed. "Then what is it, Eunmi?"

[INDENT] Eunmi sighed deeply before telling Doojoon. After she finished speaking, Doojoon's facial expression became serious. He got up from his chair before gripping onto Eunmi's arm and leaving the room. "W-where are we going?" Eunmi stammered.

[INDENT] "To the dining room. You need to tell everyone this. Now." Doojoon answered as they walked down the stairs.

[INDENT] Eunmi shifted in her seat and looked around at the men sitting at the table with her. She could tell everyone was confused, but Kikwang spoke up. "Why are we here with her?"

[INDENT] "Quiet, Kikwang." Doojoon quipped, shutting Kikwang up. "We're here because Eunmi has something, or rather, somethings to tell us. Isn't that right, Eunmi?"

[INDENT] All eyes were on Eunmi, and she diverted her eyes away from them. "Yes... I do."

[INDENT] "Then what are you waiting for, noona? Tell us!" Dongwoon said with a reassuring smile. Eunmi slightly relaxed and felt a bit less nervous.

[INDENT] "I... what I've said about me owning this mansion is true... but there's more to why I decided to move here." Eunmi started. "... I... I ran away from home."

[INDENT] Yoseob's eyes widened at her statement. "What are you talking about, Eunmi? You've already graduated from college; you're practically an adult now. Technically, this wouldn't be called running away."

[INDENT] "You don't understand," Eunmi answered. "I ran away to escape my step-mother and step-brother."

[INDENT] The men began murmuring to themselves, while Hyunseung's throat ran dry. So that woman and young man in that family portrait are her step-mother and step-brother..., he thought.

[INDENT] Junhyung asked, "So your father remarried?"

[INDENT] "That's correct." Eunmi answered. "My mother died after she gave birth to me, and my father raised me until he decided to remarry and married that woman..." The men watched as her hands balled up into fists.

[INDENT] "You... don't like this woman, do you?" Yoseob asked calmly, trying to not provoke Eunmi's emotions.

[INDENT] Eunmi sighed before regaining her composure. "Yes... she took my father away from me. They both work at the same real estate agency, and she overworks him. I haven't seen much of my father even before I came here. I didn't even say good-bye to him when I left."

[INDENT] "Surely, it doesn't make sense that you would run away from home because of the absence of your

Please log in to read the full chapter