Part 7

Hidden in Vision

 


With a slight curl up his lips, he assuredly strides away from the confused Sunggyu. His mind felt at ease as Sunggyu had finally learnt his name. Why did it take so long for you to ask for my name? He snorted at this thoughts. Closing in at the corner of the streets, he could hear a faint cry of someone calling out to Sunggyu. There was an urge for him to turn around to look at Sunggyu, because it might be his last, but he managed to force himself not to. The voice fades after he turned and continue walking on for the next few minutes. Silence surrounded the streets under the moonlight. There were hardly any cars at this time, only a few streetlamps showing the way in front of him. Looking around at the familiar buildings, he’d arrived back outside the same place again. But this time, it felt more empty and lonelier than ever. That was the first time he’d ever brought someone into his personal space, and the fact that the person was Sunggyu made him feel more lonely. A soft sigh escaped his lips, as he unlocked the door of his own animal clinic.


.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

Sunggyu gaped in disbelief after hearing what Woohyun said.
Questions started swarming around his head, he couldn’t understand. But how?
All he could do was stare blankly as he watched him walked off and turned into the corner.
His eyes stayed fix at the spot where Woohyun once stood.
Who is he?  


Suddenly something hit his shoulders and he brought him back to reality.

“Sunggyu hyung! Are you alright?”

It was his little brother Myungsoo.


-“Yes I’m okay. Why did you scared me like that? You could’ve just called me over. Aish...”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “I did, but you didn’t respond so I came closer.”  

-“Oh…” Sunggyu simply nodded his head. He didn’t realise he had zone out from all those thoughts.

“Alright let’s get home. It’s really late already.”

After saying those words, Myungsoo proceeded back towards the car. 



Late?

Sunggyu scanned around him. The roads were empty except for the mini-cooper.
There was no one else to be seen, except for a homeless old man sleeping on the ground opposite the elementary school.
Everything was quiet around him. As he walks towards the car, he took out his phone and checked the time.  


                                                             ‘2.15am.’


Omo, how long was I unconscious?


.

.

.


During the short trip in the car, Sunggyu was contemplating whether he should ask Myungsoo about the roses. But knowing the Myungsoo whom he grew up together with, Sunggyu could foresee his little brother’s reaction being more concerned instead, if he hears about Sunggyu receiving the flowers from a stranger. And the fact that the person knows where he was staying, is going to make it worse. In the end he rested his head back on the seat, and let the thoughts aside.

Once they reached the house, Myungsoo accompanied Sunggyu up to his room, before going back into his own. Staring at the vase of yellow roses across him, Sunggyu slowly settle down onto the bed. He was trying really hard to make sense of Woohyun’s words, which had been replaying over and over in his head. His eyebrows frowned slightly, as he continue blinking at the vase.


“Get some rest, Kim Sunggyu.”


Those words managed to snap his mind back, and once again he could feel the soreness from his neck and the injury on his right elbows throbbing in rhythms. Taking a deep breath, Sunggyu let his body collapsed on the bed and landed flat back with his arms spread to his sides. After a few minutes of staring into blank space, images of Woohyun’s firm face started to appear on the ceilings above him. Sunggyu rubbed his eyes a few times just to make sure it wasn’t really there. Of course, it was just another one of his imaginations again, but he couldn’t stop himself from thinking about him. It’s just something that was hard for him to control. Especially after spending almost half a day with that person. After what seems like a few exchanges of sheepish smiles to the ceiling, the images started fading off, and so did the lights from his sight...


-



 

-



 

-



 

-

‘Thud, thud, thud’

“Sunggyu?”

Few taps from the door echoed into Sunggyu’s ears. Sunggyu tried to open his eyes quickly, but the sunlight was preventing him from doing so. The sunlight bathed his face as he rises from his laying position. Sunggyu brought his hands towards his face and sat there with his eyes closed for a moment. Just sitting there, he could feel a slight tension between his eyebrows. Sunggyu wanted to fall back on his bed again, but he realised that the person outside his door was still knocking. So he brought his hands down and pushed himself off the bed slowly. Then he dragged his feet to the door, rubbing his eyes at the same time.

“Eung… coming…”

As the door creaked open, Sunggyu quickly rake his hair with his hands when he realised it was Sungyeol’s Mother.

“Ah, Mother. Sorry for the wait, is something the matter?”

The sweet smiling woman shook her head lightly.

“Oh, it’s nothing dear, I was just worried that you’re not waking up. Are you feeling okay? I heard from Sungyeol and L this morning, about yesterday…”

“A-Ah. Yes, I’m fine. Thanks for worrying. Eum… What time is it now?”

Sungyeol’s Mother adjusted her body a little and squinted over Sunggyu’s shoulder.

“Aigoo. It’s only 11.30am. I guess it’s not really that late actually, sorry I woke you up.”
She held onto Sunggyu’s hands and pat them as she apologised. The warmth around his hand was one that he missed the most; a mother’s touch. Sunggyu couldn’t help but felt bad for worrying Sungyeol’s mother again.

“It’s okay Mother… It’s okay. ” As Sunggyu smiled back to her, he noticed that Myungsoo and Sungyeol’s bedroom door were opened, and that the house was awfully quiet.


“Mother, did Sungyeol and Myungsoo went out?”


She turned back to glance at their bedroom door. 

“Yes… these two boys, they always go to the park. Do you know about L’s hobby? He always bring back nice photos everytime he visit the park, and Sungyeol, he really love drawing the sceneries outside. It feels great seeing both of them relaxing and being happy because of their interests.”

Her eyes brightened as she talked about the two kids.  
 
“You know… if you’re bored, you could help out at my school later. Dongwoo wouldn’t mind having a helping hand at the cafeteria. It will be good if you could help him out during lunch breaks.”

“Yes, Mother. I’ll go wash up and head over there soon.” The grip on Sunggyu’s hands loosen as he gently retreated back. Just when Sunggyu bowed and was about to close the door, Sungyeol’s mother said something that made him stopped.


“The roses-”

“The roses, do you like it?”

Sunggyu nodded, but at the same time felt slightly unsettled by her words.

“Mother, do you know something about this roses? How did it get here?”

“Wasn’t it from someone you knew? It was left in front of our porch on that day, after Sungyeol went off to pick you and L from the hospital. ”

Sunggyu tilted his head to the side. “So… you didn’t see the person?”

Sungyeol’s mother shook her head, “But there was message that mentioned it was for L’s brother. Which is you, that’s why I placed the vase in our guestroom.”

“A message? Do you still have it?”

“No... Sorry…  It was written on a loose piece of paper, so I threw it away after reading it…”

Ah…
“Oh… It’s alright then. Thank you, Mother. Sorry if I worried you again for a moment. I’ll go get change now.” Sunggyu smiled and bowed a few more times to her, before closing the door.

As the door shuts behind him, Sunggyu leans back and sank to the ground with his eyes closed.

How did Woohyun even knew I was coming here?




.

.

When Sunggyu was changing, he realised that he had been in a fresh set of pyjamas all these while. Myungsoo must have helped him with the changing after he fell asleep unknowingly last night. Sunggyu laughed quietly at the thought as he ed his pyjamas. Having changed into his daily wears, Sunggyu quickly heads to the toilet to wash up, before leaving the house.

.

.

.


“Hmm, let’s see…”

Holding the small pamphlet in his left hand, Sunggyu studied the small map printed on the corner of it and slowly made his way around the streets. Since Sungyeol and Myungsoo had driven their car to the park, Sunggyu had to walk to the elementary school with the help of the “map”, which Sungyeol’s mother had given him before he left the house. To his surprise, the school was just a 20 minute walk away. After a few turns around the street, he’d arrived in front of the familiar gates. As Sunggyu observed around him, his hands folded the pamphlet and put it into his back pocket. The atmosphere felt different than last night. There were more people on the walkway today, and the nearby shops were all opened for business. However one thing Sunggyu noticed was that the homeless man he saw last night, was still sitting at the same spot. The gaze in the old man’s eyes felt empty and sad. Sunggyu shook his head and turned his head back towards the school. He must be over-looking it, the old man was a far distant away from him. His eyes wouldn’t be that accurate again, right?

.

.

“Sunggyu ah! Over here!”

As Sunggyu took his first few steps into the cafeteria, a familiar voice called out to him from across the room. Quickly swinging his head towards the direction of the voice, he realised it was no other than Dongwoo, who had been waving his hands wildly at Sunggyu. Embarrassed at how loud and excited that boy was, Sunggyu slightly bowed his head and shyly waved back to him. While walking towards the food counter, Sunggyu noticed that the cafeteria wasn’t really packed with any students yet. Just a few people, whom he assumed were the teachers and some other school staffs. He made some eye contacts with a few of them, and was greeted back with smiles. This is a nice place, he thought. When he reached the food counter, Dongwoo was back facing him. Puzzled, Sunggyu was about to call out to him just as Dongwoo turned back to face him. And in his hands, were a warm bowl of soup.

“Here, here. Have some of my homemade soup! You didn’t managed to have one that day when you came over to help out. So do try some now, okay? Kekeke. ”

A broad smile cling onto Dongwoo’s face as he handed the bowl to Sunggyu.

“Go sit over there, I’ll join you in a minute!”
With that said, Dongwoo disappeared into the small kitchen.

Uh…

Baffled by his actions, Sunggyu could only stare at the bowl of soup in his hand. With uncertainty, Sunggyu walked to the closest table and carefully placed the bowl down, before taking a seat. What’s with this guy and his soup? Sunggyu mentally asked himself as he scanned the food counter for Dongwoo. Is he still in the kitchen? Straining his neck, Sunggyu tried peeking through the small kitchen window, but Dongwoo was nowhere in sight. Aish that guy… Just as he relaxes, Sunggyu felt someone beside him. He instantly cleared his throat when he realised it was Dongwoo who was sitting right beside him. His hands was under his chins, and his eyes waiting for Sunggyu to take a sip of the soup.

“You can eat now. Come on.”

“Uhm…”

Sunggyu slowly raised the spoon from the bowl, and moved it towards his mouth. He could sense Dongwoo looking attentively at his every actions. As the spoon landed in his mouth, the creamy texture of the soup instantly melted on his tongue. Wow this taste really good. There was a sort of sweetness and freshness that made Sunggyu craved for more. He continued mouthfuls after mouthfuls, until the bowl in front of him was empty.

“Thanks for the meal.”
Sunggyu dapped his lips with a piece of the paper handkerchiefs he had taken from the stack, which was placed on the middle of the table.


“How was it? You looked really happy eating it. Kekeke.”

“It was really delicious. Who taught you how to make this?”

“That’s good! Hmm, just some guy I met on the streets…”

“Oh? A stranger? Ahh…”

For a split second Sunggyu thought he saw a gloomy side of Dongwoo. But it was too quick, Dongwoo has reverted back to his cheerful self again.

“Do you want more? I can get for you! Kekeke!”

“No, it’s okay. I’m full already-“


All of a sudden, someone in a uniform stood still in front of them. Frowning a little at the abrupt intrusion, Sunggyu turned to look at the person. His gaze calm down after he recognized who it was.
 
“O-Oh, Yong Hwan’s mother… What brings you here?”
Sunggyu stood up from his chair and bowed clumsily.

“Hello young man, sorry to disturb your time with your friend. But after our meeting you the other day, my husband and I felt that we haven’t thanked you enough for what you did. So, please accept this.” The woman passed him a box that was wrapped up with a smooth cloth.

Sunggyu glanced at Dongwoo, who seemed as surprised as Sunggyu was. Dongwoo shrugged as he pouts his lips and gestured him using his head, to accept the gift. Left with no other options, Sunggyu gladly extended his hands and took the gift from her. The woman glowed with delight as she said her thanks and farewells before leaving Sunggyu to resume his conversation with Dongwoo.

“Wow, you sure are famous Sunggyu! Kekeke!”
Dongwoo patted him on the back as he sat back down onto the chair.


“But. How did you know about Yong Hwan though…?”

Sunggyu was nodding confidently until Dongwoo started with the question. He almost choked. Sunggyu’s hands gripped the box tightly, and his stomach felt queasy.
 
“A-Ah, it’s nothing actually. I just heard from L abou-.”

“Are you lying to me?”
Suddenly Dongwoo’s sounded serious, and Sunggyu could only blinked continuously at him.

“L doesn’t know about what happened to her child. So, tell me how did you know about it?”

Dongwoo continued staring straight into Sunggyu’s eyes. Slightly leaning back, Sunggyu’s mouth opened and closed a few times, but the words were not coming out. The reason was because what he was trying to say is going to sound weird. But Sunggyu also knew that he had no chance of escaping Dongwoo’s question, since he’d be spending another half of the day with him, and the only way was to answer him, honestly.

Letting out a sigh, Sunggyu loosen his grip on the box.

“Actually…” Aish, it’s going to sound stupid. Here it goes. “Actually, the truth is, I saw Yong Hwan when I first arrived at this neighbourhood. I’m able to see and hear things that normal people don’t. You know… Well, he also came to me in my dreams and told me to pass a message to his parents. And I did… that’s why...”

He paused and studied the expression on Dongwoo’s face. That look on his face was pretty shocked. Dongwoo’s mouth hung open and his body stayed motionless for a while. From his concentrated gaze, Sunggyu knew that Dongwoo’s mind was trying to absorb every single word Sunggyu mentioned. Slowly, Dongwoo started raising from his seat, which he then started retreating a few steps back. His eyes wide opened and fixed on Sunggyu’s.



“Sunggyu ah… what do you mean?



What are you?...”




 

 


 

A/N

Sorry for the late updates again, im really caught up in something ㅠㅠ
I might update slower for now, please bear with me >A<
Anw, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter~~ and thank you all who had been reading my fanfics *^3^*