Part 15

Hidden in Vision

.

“Thanks for meeting me here on such a short notice, Hoya-hyung.”

The invitingly warm aroma of coffee filled the atmosphere of the small café.
 Woohyun took a sip of his ice latte as he looked over at Hoya, who was now nodding his head while absorbed in his thoughts.
It has been awhile since the last time they’ve met, but the incident that happened to Sunggyu yesterday kept repeating in Woohyun’s mind, and he needed to speak to someone. He could sense that Sunggyu was being followed on his way to the clinic, and Sunggyu might not be safe anymore.

Hoya cleared his throat and raised from his seat.
“For now, just continue to keep a look out. If there’s any more suspicious incident happening around him, please report them to me.”

“Alright, thank yo-”
Just as Woohyun stood up to shake Hoya’s hand, at the corner of his eyes, he saw someone in a familiar black hoodie walking pass the glass window outside of the café.  


Huh?




Sunggyu?




Woohyun had to do a double-take at the person, he couldn’t believe his own eyes. Sunggyu couldn’t have known where Woohyun was since he had never mentioned to him that he was meeting with Hoya, and the fact that Sunggyu could travel all the way to town by himself was just, strange.

Hoya noticed the change in expression on Woohyun’s face, and followed Woohyun’s gaze outside the window, but there was nobody there.
“Hey, what’s with your face? Wh-” When he turned his head back to Woohyun, Woohyun has already rushed towards the door before he could finish the sentence.

Leaving the café and Hoya who was calling out to him behind, he went towards the direction where he last saw Sunggyu.
Turning into an alley, he spotted Sunggyu on the path in front of him again.


“Sunggyu-ssi?”


No response.
Did he not hear me?


"Oi, Sunggyu-ah!"

Sunggyu continued walking briskly without looking back.
Everytime Woohyun thought he was getting closer to Sunggyu, he took another turn.
He’d never knew Sunggyu could walk this fast, maybe he thought Woohyun was a stalker, which make sense since someone followed him yesterday.
After trailing Sunggyu from a distance, they arrived at the main road, but before Woohyun could reach him, Sunggyu has gotten into a taxi and had driven off.

Beads of sweat rolled down from his forehead as Woohyun stopped for a short breather.
Just as he thought he wouldn’t be able to catch up with the taxi, he heard somebody’s feet shuffled from behind and felt a tap on his shoulder.


“Hey, where are you rushing to?”

It was Hoya.


Woohyun bend over to catch his breath and pointed to the taxi that was now stopping at the red lights.
“Sunggyu… he just… got on that cab.”  


2804

Hoya quickly wrote down the car plate number on his phone, just as the traffic lights turned green, and the taxi drove off.  
“Come on, my car is just over there. I’ll give you a ride.”



With a nod, Woohyun followed Hoya opposite the road, towards a small carpark.



-

 

-

 

-


With the help of Hoya’s colleague, they had managed to track the taxi with the car plate number.
Coincidentally, it ended up stopping at the main street of Woohyun’s small neighbourhood.
Hoya pulled his car to a halt just behind the taxi, and they both alighted the vehicle.  

Woohyun quickly paced towards the taxi and glance through the window, but nobody was in there.
He looked over to Hoya and shook his head. Did he went back to the clinic himself?
Woohyun was about to leave the taxi when a croaky voice spoke from behind him.


“What are you doing in front of my car?”
An elderly man with a vest exited the small mart, with a pack of cigarette in his hand.


Hoya who was standing beside Woohyun flashed his police badge at the man.
- “Ahjussi, I’m a cop. May I know where did that man that you’ve picked up from downtown’s main street went?”


“Huh? A man?”
He tilted his head in respond to the question.


- “Yes, a young man, probably in his late 20s?”


The elderly man furrowed his brows before shaking his head.
“I think you've mistaken... My last customer was a lady that I dropped at Starbucks in downtown. I didn’t have any customer with me while I’m on the way here.”



What?


Woohyun’s eyes widened in disbelief at Hoya. He knew it was strange seeing Sunggyu in town, but he wouldn’t have mistaken someone else for him, especially since the black hoodie that ‘Sunggyu’ was wearing belongs to Woohyun. At that point he knew something was wrong. Something in his guts was telling him to get back to Sunggyu. His mind raced faster than his feet and before he knew it, Woohyun was already sprinting back towards his clinic.


.

.



He almost choked on his own breath when he arrived to see his clinic door wide open.


“Sunggyu-ah!!”


Woohyun was unable to comprehend or process the situation he was in. He had checked all the rooms in the clinic, but Sunggyu was nowhere to be found. He knew Sunggyu wouldn’t have left the door wide opened even if he’d went out. Placing his shaky hands on his hips, Woohyun heaved a heavy sigh as he walked to the front door. Where on earth could he be? It’s been a while since he’d ever felt this hopeless. Woohyun lowered his head, tousling his sweaty hair, and that was when he spotted a white cloth on the ground.


Oh isn’t that.


Woohyun squatted down to pick it up.


It was the bandage wrap that was on Sunggyu’s arm.
Something or somebody must have tugged his arm by force for the bandage to break into a short piece like that. Several possibilities flashed through his mind. Woohyun’s heart sank at the thought of somebody hurting Sunggyu. If only he’d knew this was going to happen, he wouldn’t have left Sunggyu alone at the clinic.


“Woohyun-ah.”


Hoya who had just caught up with him scanned the empty clinic, before holding Woohyun’s limp body up.
He placed both his arms on Woohyun’s shoulders and looked straight into his eyes.


“Listen to me, Woohyun-ah. I need you to do me a favour.” Hoya took a deep breath, his gaze not leaving Woohyun’s.
“I need you to look for his brother, Kim Myungsoo, and tell him that Inspector Hoya wants him to show you the phone app. Just mention my name, he’ll know.”
He patted Woohyun’s shoulders a few times before letting go.
“I’ll need to get back to my station to report for backups. Call me once you’ve got to his brother’s place.”



And he was gone.



What? A phone app?  


Woohyun had no idea what Hoya was talking about, but since Hoya brought it up at that instance it must be something important.
He had no time to waste. Every passing minute could mean that Sunggyu was in more danger.
Woohyun quickly locked up the front door of his clinic before heading back towards that same elderly taxi driver they had followed earlier.


-

 

-

 

-

 

“Ahjussi, could you wait for a minute, I’ll make it fast.”


Woohyun has arrived at the front porch of that familiar house.
He alighted the car with a faint smile as he recalled placing the yellow roses outside the doorsteps.
So many things had happened ever since that day. His smile slowly fades as he walked towards the door.
Taking in a deep breath, he pressed on the button for the doorbell.




*Ding dong*







“Coming! Who is it?”





As the door swung open, Woohyun expected Myungsoo to be there, but instead it was the other kid, Sungyeol.
“O-Oh, hi, may I know who are you looking for?”


For a moment Woohyun faltered and forgot his words. But just as he was about to speak, a sharp clap of the hand stopped him.


“Ah! I remember now! You were L’s brother’s doctor in charge from a few years back right? Ahh... no wonder you look so familiar! Hold on.”
Sungyeol motioned Woohyun to come into the house, before heading up the stairs shouting for Myungsoo. “L-ah!
Come down, someone is looking for you!


Woohyun was impressed at the fact that even after 6 years had passed since the last time they met, that kid was still able to recognise him after that one meeting at the hospital. Woohyun took a few steps into the house, looking through a few photos of Sungyeol and Myungsoo hung on the wall, before retreating back to the front door. He wasn’t here to stay long, he needed to find Sunggyu as soon as possible after speaking to Myungsoo.

A few approaching thuds echoed from the house, followed by Myungsoo rushing down the stairs with his wet hair, and a towel slung over his shoulders.
“Hello Doctor, it’s been awhile. Are you looking for Sunggyu hyung? He’s not around at the moment though... Did he went out already?”
Myungsoo tilted his head as he spoke to himself, and whipped his phone out from his pocket after looking over at the empty living room.
“Should I call him for yo-”


“No, actually I’m here to let you know…”


Woohyun paused as he studied Myungsoo’s face.
Does he not know that Sunggyu has been over at his place last night?



“…that Inspector Hoya has sent me over.



He wanted you to show me a phone app.”




Myungsoo blinked continuously at him with furrowed brows.


Did I said something wrong?

Woohyun cleared his throat.


“So…”

 


Before he could continue, Myungsoo was already tapping rhythmically on his phone.



“….”




- “Your phone number?”



It felt strange for a moment, how serious Myungsoo’s tone was.
He knew exactly what he was doing.




011 8002 9189”




- “Alright, you should be receiving it right about…


...now.”

As if in-sync with his word, a notification pings on Woohyun’s phone.



What was this phone app even about?



Woohyun clicked on the link that was sent to him from that notification, and once he opened it, he knew exactly why Hoya had asked him to find Myungsoo.
The map that appeared on his small screen showed a blinking red dot just a few miles outside of the city. Beside the red dot, showed Sunggyu’s name.
So this phone app actually shows Sunggyu's location at the moment?


Woohyun stared at the red dot on his phone and turned around abruptly towards the taxi.
He needs to leave, like right now.



-“Oi…What happened to my hyung?”
That nasal voice quivered behind him.


Oh right. For a split second he had forgotten about Myungsoo.
Woohyun didn’t know where to start explaining, he didn’t have time. Not now.


“…”


As he turned and took a step forward towards the taxi, a sudden holler reverberated in his ears, making him stopped in his tracks.



-“YA! 






ANSWER ME!







WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO SUNGGYU HYUNG?!”








A/N
Sorry for the late update, been busy settling some work for awhile ㅠㅠ
I know it's taking awhile to reach the ending, but I really want it to end nicely so I'm still fixing it as I go.
Tbh you guys motivate me to keep writing and not leave this story hanging so, thank you again,
to those who're (still) reading/commented/subscribed/upvoted my story!!