Part 5

Hidden in Vision




“We meet again, Sunggyu-sshi.”

Sunggyu was back to the white room where he first met Sungjong. This time he sees Sungjong in a graphic-tee and a lime green pants.
His arms were folded near his chest and there was a white stick between his slim fingers, next to his face. A yellow lollipop.

 - “Why am I back here again?” Sunggyu scratched his head.

“Because we need to talk. Don’t you want to clear your doubts about this whole thing?”
Sungjong plop the lollipop into his mouth as he looked around the empty room.

He was right. 
Sunggyu was still confused over this whole spirit-guide thing. He was clueless.

“First.” Sungjong removed the lollipop from his mouth and start pacing around the room.


“I shall start by explaining a bit of myself. As you’ve heard the other time, I, am your spirit guide.
I am a spiritual being that was assigned to you, even before you were born. The reason you can only see, or hear me now is because of the accident that almost killed you. Spiritual beings like me, will stay with you throughout your entire life. Every human has their own spirit guides,
but many of them are just not conscious enough to feel them. We, act as a guide to help you in specific areas of your life…”


Sungjong paused.


“Are you absorbing this in?”


Sunggyu quickly nodded in respond.


“Good. As a guide, I can see everything you’re doing, but I won’t always be in your mind all the time.
Everyone needs their privacy, you know, and I’ve got other stuffs to do too.” He shrugged, with the lollipop in his hand.

“There are a few ways we can communicate; through telepathy, thoughts, dreams or in words.
I guess you did heard me in the room earlier right? That was me speaking to you through your inner ear, that only you can hear.
You can also speak to me, mentally or out-loud, either way I will listen.
Is there anything you wish to ask?”

“… Uh…”

As Sunggyu was pondering over questions for Sungjong, he felt a presence beside him.
Something furry brushed his arm. A soft toy? He stepped back when he realised it was that same little boy that was on the street this afternoon.
The clothes he was wearing did had patches of red stains - dried blood.
Sunggyu wasn’t sure if he should be proud of himself for being able to spot details like that with his small eyes in a moving car.

“That’s your first visitor, right there. Ya, talk to him. He’s just a lost kid.”
Sungjong’s word confirmed that Sunggyu wasn’t crazy, but that boy really is there.
On the road and now, in front of him.


Sunggyu bend down to the little boy’s eye level.
Instantly the boy held his hand and Sunggyu was taken by surprise.

- “Hey kid… D-Do you have something to tell me?”

The little boy bobbed his head and started mouthing some words.
Sunggyu was amazed at how every word the boy mouthed, was directed and spoken in his mind instead.
At the same time, he felt miserable for the young boy who had to go through all these, just to pass a message to his parents.

- “Alright, I’ll tell them for you…” Sunggyu choked on this words.
What the boy said reminded him of his own parents, and it pains him thinking that his parents just left, without having their final says.

The little boy released his grip on Sunggyu as a streak light appeared above him.
Slowly, the light expanded and filled up the white room.
The last image he saw, was the little boy grinning back at him with the Teddy bear, just before the bright light took over the room.




 “Rest in peace, Yong Hwan ah…”


 

-

 

 

-

 

 

-

 


-
 

Beep, beep. Beep, beep.

Sunggyu reached for the dino clock he had moved over to the bedside table last night.
He peeked at the clock – ‘9.45am, 7th June 2014’
Time to rise.
Sunlight has streamed into the room through the white curtains.
Pushing away the blankets, he shifted himself off the bed and stood up.
Sunggyu shuffled towards the desk where he left a fresh set of clothes.
He’d chosen for himself from Myungsoo’s wardrobe.
It took him quite some time to pick that set of outfit since most of the clothes Myungsoo had, are black…
And Sunggyu didn’t want to start a refreshing day with a black shirt and black pants. It just didn’t match his mood.

He huddled the clothes and went out of the room.
As he stepped into the toilet, he was stunned by the reflection of a dishevelled man looking back at him.
When was the last time he actually groomed himself in front of the mirror?
Suddenly he realised that he had also left the hospital without looking at his own appearance yesterday.
Ah… how embarrassing it must have been, to greet Sungyeol and his mother with this sloppy face.
Sunggyu hurriedly splash some cooling water on his face and got changed.


When he got downstairs, Myungsoo and Sungyeol was waiting at the front door.

“Sunggyu hyung!” Sungyeol scurried towards Sunggyu and hooked his arm, dragging him in the direction of Myungsoo.

“Did you had a good rest? We’re going work hard at the school later, right?” He loosen his arms around Sunggyu’s and stood beside Myungsoo.

-“Hyung, here. Your wallet, and a spare phone… 
Given that your phone got lost during the accident, just use this for now. I’ve saved my number inside.”
Myungsoo stretched out his arm and handled over the valuables.

`”Thanks, Myung-ah. Let’s go.” He pat Myungsoo’s head as he trailed Sungyeol out of the house.


.

 

.
 

.

After a couple minutes of ride in the mini-cooper, they’ve reach their destination. As they turned into the gates, Sunggyu spotted a sign.
 
                                           ‘Jung Yeon private elementary school’


Sunggyu remembered this place. Not exactly the school buildings, but that stretch of road beside it.
That was where he first saw the little boy, Yong Hwan…
The car pulled over at the parking lot next to a small fountain.

“Here he comes.” Sungyeol muttered under his breath as he tug on the breaks.

  
Myungsoo unlocked the door and went out. Sunggyu too, exited after him.


-“Kids! Finally you’ve arrived. I just made some soup for you guys in the cafeteria! Please have some- Oh? Is that a new volunteer?”


Sunggyu stood in his spot as he watches the guy skipped towards him.


-“Hello new volunteer! I’ve prepared some soup in the cafeteria. Do have some before you leave later, alright?” The guy smiled cheerfully at him.

Sunggyu somehow feels energetic after hearing that guy speaks.
But one thing he didn’t understand was what that guy was wearing on his head.
A beanie that looks like… a dinosaur? How old is that guy?

Sunggyu didn’t quite know how to explain to him about the situation, so he just bowed.

Just then, Sungyeol came out from his car.


“Hey! Don’t talk to him like that you Kenyan! This friend over here, is L’s older brother!”
He tapped Sunggyu’s shoulder as he spoke.
“And the soup… can’t you just cook something else instead? I’m kind of sick eating that every day.”

-“O-Oh, sorry! I guess I always say things without thinking... but the soup today is different!”
He pouted and leaned sideways to Myungsoo.

-“L-ah, how old is your brother?”


It was meant to be a whisper, but Sunggyu could hear everything from where he was standing.


`”Uh… Hello, nice to meet you. Sorry for not introducing myself. I’m Kim Sunggyu.
Myung-, I mean, L’s older brother, and we are two years apart.”

All of a sudden that guy punched his fist to the air.

-“Yahooo! We’re the same age then! Nice to meet you, I’m Jang Dongwoo and I work at the cafeteria in this school.”
He lowered his hand in front of Sunggyu, palm facing him.

Sunggyu almost choked on his own saliva. How can this guy be the same age as him?
Sunggyu clumsily hi-fived Dongwoo’s hand, just before Dongwoo said, “See you later!” and hopped enthusiastically back to the school.

From the corner of his eyes, Sunggyu saw Myungsoo shaking his head, as he looked at the lively Dongwoo.

“Psh… that guy is always so happy, I don’t get it… Let’s go hyung, we’ve got work to do.”



Myungsoo led the way to the classroom.
On the way there, Sungyeol shares to Sunggyu more about the school, the classrooms they have,
and also how Myungsoo, Dongwoo and himself has helped with decorating the walls and doors of the different classes.


“You know, Myungsoo’s drawing is really bad. I still can’t forget how he managed to draw a turtle that ends up looking like a fish.
He gave up after that first try and switched to arranging the books instead. Heh, look at him, looking so cool and all.”

-“Ya, you idiot. You didn’t drew that nice either…” Myungsoo looked away.


Sunggyu snickered upon hear that.
He finds it funny that someone else has discovered his little brother’s flaws even after he tried to keep a ‘cool’ image since an early age.
Sunggyu peeked at Myungsoo who was walking on his left. He was still acting like he didn’t care, but Sunggyu knows that deep inside,
Myungsoo was embarrassed.

They stopped in front of a classroom with a blue door, which has a drawing of a… fish?

Ha.


“Here we are! This is a grade 1 classroom, and as you can see, that’s Myungsoo’s drawing over there. Heh heh.
Let’s clean up this place real good alright, Sunggyu hyung? Fighting!” Sungyeol raised both fists as he entered the classroom.
 
.

.


.

.

Myungsoo was in charge of the bookshelves area, again, while Sungyeol was in charge of sweeping and mopping up the floor.
Sunggyu started by moving the chairs and tables to the side, and then proceeded to clean them one by one using a wet cloth.
As the furniture were kid-sized, it didn’t take long before he finished cleaning them up.
He extended his arms up and stretched his body, releasing the tensions.


Ah, that feels great.


Sunggyu turned to observe the pair working on their tasks. Both of them were blabbering over something.
Apparently, Sungyeol has been sweeping the dust onto the books on the ground that Myungsoo had cleaned.
They had been arguing over the same thing for the past few minutes. Instead of feeling irritated, Sunggyu finds it entertaining.
He looked over at the clock – another dino designed clock, and calculated the time. It was still early.
Since the other two are still not done with their work, he decided to take a tour around the school, and also, to pass an important message...

.

.

Walking down the hallway, Sunggyu noticed a couple in the cleaners’ uniform sitting on the bench at the side of the hallway, eating from a bowl.

“This is your chance, talk to them. They need to hear it.

 

Sunggyu slowly approached the couple after Sungjong’s intimation.
The couple looked like they haven’t been getting enough rests for the past few days. They looked pale and weary, their eye bags showing.
Sunggyu noticed that they were just staring outside the window every time they put the spoons into their mouth, and it’s like they are lost in thoughts. It felt disheartening, seeing them looking so distressed…


“E-Excuse me… By chance, are you… Yong Hwan’s parents?”

Deliberately, both of them turned to face him when they heard the name, ‘Yong Hwan’.

Sunggyu scratched his head and cleared his throat.

“Ah… Sorry for troubling you during your break, but I have an important message for you…
I apologise if this sounds strange and disturbing, but, I’ve got a message from Yong Hwan…”


The couple frowned slightly and looked at one another.

Here it goes.
Sunggyu closed his eyes and recalled the words in his mind.


“Mummy, Daddy. I’m sorry I ended up like this… I wasn’t paying attention on the road.
Please forgive me for making you worried like that… I’ve found peace in a new place now,
and I won’t lonely because I have Kuma, that brown bear I got from you for my birthday.

Please live happily,

Mummy,

Daddy.


I love you…”   


When Sunggyu opened his eyes, the couple had tears streaming down their cheeks.
Yong Hwan’s mother hands start to tremble as she placed the bowl of soup down beside her.
She cupped her face with those shaky hands, while Yong Hwan’s father was just blinking continuously.

Sunggyu felt bad for making them tear up like that, but he had promised Yong Hwan to pass the message to them.
And he has done it.


“Sorry, I know that was really weird… I-I think I should really get going-”

As Sunggyu brisk walk passed them, he felt someone grab him by the wrist and jerked back a little.


-“Was that really from Yong Hwan...?”

  It was Yong Hwan’s mother, her voice quivered as she spoke.

-“I don’t know who you are, but, we really thank you so much for relaying to us, that message from our boy…
It really means a lot to us… Thank you...” She sniffled and loosen her grip.


Hearing those words, Sunggyu feels more relaxed. He knew he had done the right thing, now Yong Hwan’s parents can have a closure.

“No problem, Yong Hwan’s Mother… because I promised him that I would.”  


.

.

.

.

.



What happened earlier was really nerve-wrecking, but Sunggyu also felt a sense of accomplishment after helping a lost spirit.
It was the first time he had done something of this sort, and it feels wonderful.
Absorbed in his thoughts, Sunggyu didn’t realise where he was walking, and ended up outside the school building.
Exactly where he needed to be at the moment, he needed some fresh air.

Sunggyu looked up at the high sunlit clouds, drifting through the sky. What a perfect weather.
He closed his eyes and took in his surroundings. The place felt engulfed in peace. Everything was quiet,
until a sudden gush of wind blew. He could hear the leaves on the nearby tree rustles and something soft caressing his legs.

“Meow.”

A cat?
He opened his eyes and saw an orange tabby cat rubbing its face on his shoes.

“Hi, little kitty.” As Sunggyu squatted down, the cat turned and slinked towards the oak tree in front of him.
Without thinking, he stood up and followed it.

The cat increased its pace when it turned into the corner of the tree.
Sunggyu quickly chased after it but when he circled around the tree, there was not cat to be seen on the ground..



Instead, there was a pair of black oxford shoes.


As Sunggyu’s eyes slowly scanned, he noticed it was a guy in a black skinny jeans and a white tank top,
with a headphone over his head. Sunggyu stood in awe as his eyes reaches to the same level of that stranger’s face.
He couldn’t help, but followed that perfect jawline, which led him to that slightly parted lips.
Sunggyu gulped, as his eyes continues to trail up to the stranger’s sharp nose and then, to that 
small pair of dark eyes,
though slightly bigger than his own, gave off a certain undefinable spark..


His heart stopped.


It felt as if time has froze, for him.







Damn, this guy is...

hot.