Part 13

Hidden in Vision

-

Woohyun never knew what the eye tattoo actually meant.

Only until the day he met senior police officer Hoya, who was the first to arrive at the scene after someone reported to the police.
While Woohyun was hospitalised after the accident, officer Hoya was the one who broke the news to him, about how his parents didn’t make it and everything that happened while he passed out. Many questions were going through Woohyun’s head at that moment, but one thing he was sure; he wanted justice for his parents.
The fact that officer Hoya mentioned how the higher ups were trying to cover up the case as reckless driving made his blood rushed.
How can they dismiss someone’s death so easily? After the accident, officer Hoya came to check on Woohyun almost every day for two weeks.
Despite the fact that Hoya was a few years older and they’ve only just met, Woohyun felt comfortable speaking to him, and they soon became close after that incident.

-

                                                18th March 2008, 5.30pm


“Coming through, please move aside!”


The sudden wailing of the siren echoing through the corridors broke the silence at the A&E waiting room.
Patients who were waiting in line strained their necks towards where the sound were coming from.


“How is the blood pressure?”


“Not good! He’s losing a lot of blood!”


A lot of mumbling and chatters went about the room as the stretcher passed by the front counter.
Woohyun together with the rest of the medical students and interns who were having a meeting with their resident doctor, stopped halfway and came out of the room. Every real-time situation like this is a lesson for the students and interns to practice and apply what they've learnt.


“Head straight for CT scan. Hurry!”



Following their resident doctor, Woohyun and his fellow students trailed along as the nurses and doctor pushing the stretcher led them into the emergency room.



-


-


                                                                    7.30pm

“Nam Woo Hyun, you will also be the doctor in-charge of this patient for the next 4 weeks, until the end of your last semester.
After that we will assign a new medical student to take over your duties. If you require any help I will be in my office, alright? ”


“Yes, Dr Ahn.” Woohyun bows as the resident doctor walks out the room to assign the other students of their duties.


The image of that boy’s face when he first arrived at the hospital resurfaced in his mind. It was not a good one.
Woohyun remember seeing blood all over the boy’s head and cuts around his body.
The CT scan earlier that day has also proven that the boy did receive a fatal hit to his head, and was actually suffering from possibly a fractured skull, swellings and bleeding within the brain.

He approaches the unconscious boy whose head was now wrapped with layers of bandages and a cervical collar supporting his neck.
It was painful to experience all these injuries but Woohyun knew that the worst pain, was once the person know that their loved ones didn’t make it.
Just as he finished looking throught the medical records of the boy,
a familiar face approached.



“Oh, Inspector Hoya?”


With his usual bomber jacket and a notebook in his hand, Hoya let out a sigh as he stopped beside the bedframe.
His shoulders slumped and his eyes cast down in a mournful gaze at the boy.
With his brows slightly furrowed, Hoya opened the notebook on his hand, flipped through a few pages before closing it again.


“Woohyun-ah, do you know who this boy is?”


 

In respond, Woohyun peek over at the name record card beside the bed again.
He never thought of anything when he first saw it earlier.

               [
Kim Sung Gyu ]

After reading it another few times, it sounded kind of familiar.
Is this boy someone he actually knew?



“Kim Sung Gyu. He’s Detective Kim’s son.”


Woohyun’s brain stuttered for a moment as the name bounces in his head.
It never occurred to him that Detective Kim had a son who is about the same age as himself.
And the fact that this boy’s parents didn’t make it means…


“D-Detective Kim… he-?”


Hoya’s eyes shifted to the side, a glassy layer of tears came over his eyes as he nod in reply to Woohyun’s question.
His knuckles turning white as he clenched his notebook harder than ever.


“He told me the other day... that he would assign me in taking over his cases once he’s gone.
I thought he was joking around again, but now, he’s really gone…”


Tears flowed sloppily down Hoya’s cheeks and dripped from his chin. The very person whom he respected all his career life, the mentor who has always been a close friend, or more like a family member to him, was now gone, and there’s nothing he could do to bring him back. Woohyun’s lips quivered.
He didn’t know what to say, he understood the pain of losing somebody he love and all he could do was pat Hoya on the back as he sank into his knees.



“Now that I’m in charge for the Horus case...



I swear I’ll expose the truth one day…




Rest in peace, Detective Kim…”



-



-




-



For the next few days after the visit from Hoya, many others who Woohyun assumed were Sunggyu’s classmates came to visit him.
Within the first week of visitations, Sunggyu’s ward were full of flowers and get-well-soon cards.
Gradually as the time of Woohyun’s semester was coming to an end, he can’t help but feel a tinge of sadness lingering in him.
He felt so connected to this person who doesn’t even know of his existence. The visit to Sunggyu’s ward was what he always looked forward to.
For some reason, Woohyun can’t help but feel much calmer when he was around Sunggyu.

On the last day of his daily routine visiting the ward, he heard a familiar nasal voice through the tiny gaps of the sliding door.
That voice belongs to Sunggyu’s brother, who visited almost every day ever since the day of accident, but every time during his visits Woohyun would be tending to patients in the other wards, so he had never came face to face with his brother.

Peeping through the glass panel he noticed there were two person in the room,
and looking at their body language, they seemed to be in the middle of an argument.
Woohyun took a deep breath before entering.



“Ya! Shouldn’t you be-”


*knock knock*
The argument came to a halt at the sound of knocking, and the two young boys turned their heads towards the direction of the sliding door.

Woohyun greeted them with a bow.
“Sorry for the interruptions, I’m here to do some checks on the patient.
Please just continue what you guys were doing.”


“H-Hello Doctor. Thank you so much for taking care of him.”
One of the boys stepped forward and extended his hand towards Woohyun.
The boy was still in his uniform and Woohyun can’t help but notice the name tag. ‘
Kim Myung Soo
Just then the other boy came forward and stood right beside his friend.
He too, had his uniform on with a name tag that reads, ‘
Lee Sung Yeol’.

Ah, so the first kid was actually Sunggyu’s little brother, but the other kid’s name was also ringing a bell in his head.
Woohyun smiled and took his hand with a firm grip.
He couldn’t help but admire that handsome-looking face, which doesn’t have any resemblance to his older brother.
In fact looking at the two young boys, he realised that they actually look like ‘flower boys’ which people mentioned they would only see in korean dramas.


“Doctor! Where do you think is the best spot to put this?”
The other kid raised the empty vase that he had been holding in his hand.


“My friend here,” Sungyeol rested his hand on Myungsoo’s shoulder,
“was suggesting that we leave this together with the other flowers on the table at end of the bed frame,
but the flowers we bought are his hyung’s favourite. Can we put it there?”
He pointed at the small table just beside the bed.

Shrugging the hand on his shoulders away, Myungsoo immediately replied.
 “Ya, what if that thing accidentally falls, wouldn’t it hit my hyung?”

“Not unless you’re the one who knocks it over, dummy.” Sungyeol sticked his tongue out at his friend.

“Hah, what do you mean by that?”
Myungsoo rolled his eyes at Sungyeol’s reply.

Woohyun was the only child in his family and he has always longed for a sibling.
Even though this was like watching an argument between two elementary kids, his heart felt warmed at the sight of this liveliness.

“Sure, you may place it beside his bed. It’ll be fine, we will be careful.”
Woohyun answered back while slowly making his way over to Sunggyu.


“Ah-ssa! You heard the doctor.” Sungyeol chuckled and skipped over to the small table and fumbled to unwrap the flowers in the paper wrapper they have brought.
“Look, aren’t they pretty? No wonder it’s his favourite.”
 

While taking Sunggyu’s temperature, Woohyun glanced over at the flowers Sungyeol mentioned.
Sitting inside the black vase was a small bouquet of yellow roses, the contrast of the two colours made it stood out in the room.



Yellow roses? His favourite?




*Beep beep*

The sound of the thermometer snapped him back into working mode. Now was not the time to get distracted.
After recording down Sunggyu’s temperature and doing one last check on his conditions, he was about to head towards the door,
when he heard somebody take in a loud deep breath from the corner of the room.

Woohyun turned his head around to see Sungyeol looking at his watch with his mouth hanging open,
while unconsciously tapping Myungsoo, who was busy arranging the other flowers at the end table, continuously on the back with his other hand. 

“O-Oi, h-hurry we’re late for the volunteering event at Jung Yeon’s elementary! My mum is so going to kill me! Quick, move it!!”
Sungyeol was now slapping Myungsoo’s back with both hands and at the same time pushing him towards the door.


Myungsoo clumsily picked up his bag that was on the floor and bowed to Woohyun as they passed by him.
“Sorry Doctor, we’ll make a move first! Please let
me know if my brother wakes up!


The nasal voice faded off behind the sliding door,



leaving Woohyun with his own thoughts in the cold room.




‘Jung Yeon’s elementary?’




Sounds familiar. 








A/N
Sorry for the slow update, currently having writer's block since I'm trying to include as many details as I can for this story lol
Do feel free to leave comments on my story!! I do read them even tho I don't really reply (sorry) >w<
& thank you again for those who've subscribed and have been following this story!! ❤️