Prologue

The Marked One
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

June 20th, 2010

 

 

 

 

The night of the Fall was her 15th birthday.

Her parents decided to go to Han River at the night. Since she never liked the birthday cakes –she’d got bad memories with birthday cakes- her father bought them cotton candies.

It was a really great night for Miyoung.

She remembered very clearly every detail about that night.  Her father tried to eat her cotton candy after he finished his owns. Before he could really eat, her mother used that voice. That voice was special for her father; her mother never used that voice for another person, not even her children. It was a really kind and heart-warming voice, even it sounded really sad or mad. Miyoung only understood the meaning of this voice years later –it was a pure love.

Don’t bully the birthday kid!

Her father frowned and started to fight with his wife. If someone saw them they probably wouldn’t believe they are 17-year-married couple because they were looking like little kids who fight about their favorite toys.

Miyoung and her little brother was laughing and also enjoying their cotton candies.

Oh! Come on, it’s just a cotton candy! I can buy her another one and-

Go and take for yourself! Don’t try to eat hers!

She’s my daughter!

So do mine!

People were giving them weird looks but nobody cared about them. Not her parents or not her little brother. They were just another family who had their fun in their own way.

Yes, that was exactly the best birthday night ever.

Until they raised their head up and realized the sky. They saw what was coming but they didn’t understand what it was really. How could they? It was beautiful just like-

Mimi! Looks! It’s snowing!

Miyoung chuckled and turned her head to tell her brother that they were in the middle of summer. But she couldn’t because her brother was right. Nearly. It wasn’t actually snowing it was more like a meteor showing.

And it was beautiful. Nobody could deny that.

It was like white lights were raining. All of them seemed were like… ah, if you didn’t see them there was no way to describe it.

 And everybody was thinking in this way. Everybody grabbed a phone or camera and they were taking pictures. Smiling and watching the white rain in the black sky. They were watching the most beautiful view of Han River. It was the most beautiful view for the river’s night that could have been or ever will be.

It was also the most ironic thing for humanity. They were watching their end with admiration and adoration.

Miyoung was like them too. She hugged her little brother and started to watch the rain. She was smiling and listening to her brother. Her brother got a habit like all 5-year-boys, he was speaking very fast when he was excited and telling his own imaginary stories. She always liked that. Her brother was cuter when he was excited. But her happiness started to fade away when she looked closely to the white rain drops.

At first she didn’t realize it but when she looked again… The white rain drops were getting bigger and faster. It shouldn’t be like that. There’s something wrong. She tried to call her father but he and her mother were speaking about something about their colleague years and they didn’t hear their daughter’s call.

She looked at the drop one more time. That was the time when she saw what was in the drop. There was a human. A human with wings. In the flames. It’s burning. At first she thought she was dreaming because it was something impossible. How could be a human could burn with white flames? And also how it could be the most wonderful thing? It was like it was beautiful then everything in the world. It was beautiful than a lover’s smile, beautiful than a mother’s laugh, beautiful than a warming hug.

But it was also sad. Miyoung was already crying but she only realized it when her brother asked her why was she crying. She touched her cheeks and felt the wetness. And also her heart… it was like someone stabbing her over and over again.

“Mimi…”

Her brother was crying too. But Miyoung knew that her brother wasn’t crying because

Please log in to read the full chapter