Missed Calls

Waiting For His Call

Days passed. Weeks passed. Another month passed.

Before anyone noticed, two months had already passed. But Yi Fan and Tao had yet to exchange a word.

They worked, and worked, and worked.

They waited, and waited, and waited.

Yet, nothing happened.

--

 

July 18, 2014.

It was another great day for Exo and their Chinese fans. 'The Lost Planet' was still on, giving Exo an opportunity to dance and sing their hearts out, and for their fans to sit and enjoy the spectacular performance.

Exo started rehearsing at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai before dawn, running through a rehearsal as they would do a proper performance. Even before they conducted the actual concert, they were all already tired, but they had rehearsed all their songs to near perfection, ready to present to eager fans.

Tao was on stage with the other members, limbs moving in neat, choreographed motions as they danced along to the music. They were almost ready for the performance.

Backstage, his phone rang quietly, waiting for an answer.

--

“Sorry. The number you dialled is unattended. Please try your call later.”

Yi Fan waited a minute for calling again.

“Sorry. The number you dialled is unattended. Please try your call later.”

He dialled again, and again, and again.

“Sorry. The number you dialled is unattended. Please try your call later.”

Yi Fan had finally reached his breaking point. He didn't care if Tao didn't want him to call, didn't want to listen to his voice. All that mattered was that he heard the other male's. It had taken him every ounce of his willpower not to call the one he loved for the past few months, but his heart had won the fight with his brain, and he had pressed the call button, only to be disappointed.

Tao, who had been waiting for his call everyday, was unable to pick it up.

Yi Fan almost screamed at his phone, beads of frustration lining his forehead. He tried again, several times, but figuring it was fruitless, he shut his phone and placed it back on the desk.

Instead, he grabbed his pen, and again, wrote a letter.

Hi, Tao.

How are you? I hope you’re doing fine.

I tried to call you a while ago, but you didn't answer. You're probably rehearsing for your next performance, because you want it to be perfect for our fans. I know, because you've always been that kind of person, selfless and loving. Unlike me. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for trying to call you again. I just couldn't stand it. I wanted to hear your voice so much, baby, you don't even know. Fate just doesn't want me to call you, but it's okay. I'll keep waiting.

Even though you won't be reading this before your performance, it's okay. I just want you to know that I wish you, and the rest of Exo good luck. I'm confident that you guys will put on a wonderful and amazing performance. You've been through so much, and you've gone so far. All of you are amazing, and I wish I had it in me to be just like you.

By the way, I know this is a useless question, but have you heard my new OST yet? Haha. I'm not actually sure what I should call it - I've not watched anything for so long, I've forgotten - but it's a really good song. The lyrics are really beautiful, Tao. They'd bring you to tears. 

Sometimes, I wish time would really boil the rain. Then we could be together forever, couldn't we. I wouldn't have done stupid things, and caused everyone so much pain. But I can only wish.

I hope you do well, Tao, and I just want you to know I love you.

I love you, Tao. I love you so much.

Yi Fan stood up, folding the letter on his clammy hands. He sat on his bed, his black bag on his lap. Tentatively, Yi Fan slipped the letter into it, placing it beside the one he had previously written, hoping that someday, a miracle would bring them to the hands of his most beloved person.