Chapter 27

You Who Came From The Stars

When Luhan and Xiumin arrived at the headquarters, it was to find all of the other Legends staring at the TV screen grimly. A news clip was playing – in Jaz, the country where Killer had started his murder spree – from the report, it seemed like there was another mass killing.

Luhan felt bile rising in his throat – his expression was mirrored by the rest of them. This kind of thing made them sick – this was the reason Evil had to be sent back.  However, this wasn't the real reason they had been called back. When the news clip stopped, Suho quietly picked the remote and changed. Another clip was playing.

This was from their country – Heifercourt, relatively nearer to Oulphesden, the area where they lived, their home base. A group of rowdy teenagers had sneaked into an abandoned barn and found numerous corpses. They'd acted smartly by calling the police immediately. Unfortunately, none of them had survived because the crazed homeless guy who lived there had attacked them, ruthlessly killing all. It was that man they were focused on, as he was being taken into custody.

Face covered in blood and grime, he snarled bestially at the camera men, and even bit one of the officers on scene. Hard enough that it tore out muscle on his arm. Others tried to pry him off but he didn't let go – eventually, they had to Taser him. Only then were they able to handcuff him and take him away. The news reporter watched them go away, doing a running commentary, then turned. 'This is --- coming at you live from ---!'

Suho hit rewind and then paused at man's crazed face as he snarled into the camera. His eyes were dull red and lifeless, no intelligence in them whatsoever.

'That's him.' Someone muttered into the silence.

'How??' Tao asked, looking as confused as they felt. 'Isn't Killer…?'

'That's why I called all of you here.' Suho looked at them. 'We need to figure out what the hell is he doing. If that's Evil, then he's closer than we thought. What I don’t get is how he's doing it. I talked to Kris a while ago.'

Kris, after his short stay here, had gone right back – alone this time because he didn't like how Chen and Baekhyun worked. Or anyone else, for that matter. They figured he just wanted to be alone.

'He was on sight for the Killer's work – says Evil is there as well.'

They looked at the frozen frame on the screen, at the red, soulless eyes. 'We need to make sure.' Xiumin stated, then looked at Suho. 'Someone has to go and confirm it.'

'We'll figure out how he's doing it later, but we need to take precautions if he's here.' Suho agreed. 'Okay… any volunteers!'

All hands went up in air. 'I'm glad but we need to tighten our security here.' Suho shook his head. 'Okay, how about D.O. and Chanyeol?'

'Why him?' D.O grumbled.

'You guys have been free long enough.' Suho told him. 'No, I'm not sending Baekhyun with you, Chanyeol – you guys won't get anything done, the way you play around.'

Baekhyun pouted at that but didn’t deny it – it was true, after all.

'And don't try to take things in your own hands. Once you're sure, come back immediately. We'll come with a plan in the meantime.'

'Yes boss!' Chanyeol saluted.

'Alright, then. Get busy!'

D.O went back to his room to pack, Chanyeol in tow. 'D.Oya, we'll have fun!'

'Shut up!'

Kai, Sehun and Tao went to back to doing their own stuff – Kai sitting with Sehun, teaching him and Tao just observing them intensely. Luhan turned to Xiumin. 'Any idea on how he's doing it?'

'No…' Xiumin rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'From all that we've seen, he shouldn't be able to. I mean, none of us has that kind of power, right?'

The Evil was basically anti-Legends. Created to take over the heart of Tree of Life, Evil had some measure of all their abilities; they possessed each power exclusively and virtually limitlessly, he possessed all of them in a smaller degree. So, they had the benefit of knowing what sort of attacks to expect from him. This, however, was new.

'A trick he learned in the Abyss?' Suho wondered.

'Or he's simply combining multiple powers.' Lay's suggestion had them turning around.

'How…?'

'A wave – it’s the only way one can be present in two places at the same time. Phenomenon like refraction is seen in waves all the time. If he somehow manages to create some sort of self-wave, it won't be impossible for him to open up a portal and be present in two – or more – places simultaneously.'

All three of them stared at Lay open mouthed. This was literally the first time he was talking so… rationally.

'How the hell did you figure it out?' Xiumin, ever blunt, asked.

'Music basics – we study waves.' Lay sniffed elegantly. 'And physics – we all studied it in high school.'

'If he's doing it like this…' Suho worried his lips. 'I need to think…' he hurried off. Xiumin patted Lay's back. 'I always forget you're actually smart. If this is indeed how he's working…' he trailed off, then wandered off lost in his thoughts. Luhan smiled at Lay.

'High school physics, eh? Genius.'

'Meh.' Lay smiled, looking naughty. 'Kai was just explaining it to Sehun – I expanded on it.'

Ignoring Luhan's laugh, he walked away humming to himself.

'That was still smart, .' Luhan muttered. He doubted he'd made that connection so easily but Lay's way of thinking probably let him see things differently. More accurately, perhaps. Whatever it was, if it helped…

'Luhan?' Suho called him over.

'Hmm?'

'A word, please. You too, Kai.'

Wordlessly, Kai and Luhan headed to his room. He shut the door, then leaned against it. 'Okay, I didn't want to bring it in front of everyone but we need to settle this.' He looked from Luhan to Kai. 'The problem between you two.'

Luhan pursed his lips. He wasn't the one who'd started it. Kai didn’t say anything either, staring at Suho sullenly.

'Look, I'm not going to pretend I understand what either of you is going through but I do know that we need to claim our mates.' He cleared his throat. 'One way or another, we're going to face the Evil and when we do, the more powerful we are, the better chances we have. Whether she's yours…' he nodded at Luhan at which Kai growled. '… or yours…' Luhan growled right back. '…you need to claim her so you can be stable and more powerful. And I'd prefer it if this enmity between you two goes away.'

Kai sniffed. 'What happens to the other guy?' He muttered.

'Excuse me?'

'If one of us claims her, what happens to the other?' Kai asked seriously. Luhan started – this wasn't something he had pondered about, probably because he had been sure she was his. Kai, however, sounded like he'd thought a lot about it. 'Does it simply go away? Do we just forget whatever feelings we have for her? Huh? It's not like the fever's the only thing that's making her attractive!'

Much as Luhan hated to admit it, Kai was right. Mei wasn't his mate only because of his body; it was because his heart and soul claimed her as well.

Suho shook his head helplessly. 'I have no idea how any of this works. We're striking in the dark here. What we do know is that you'll have more power and that's something we're going to need. Just… do what you have to.' He dragged a hand through his hair. 'Try not to let your personal feelings affect the pack.'

Luhan hmphed at that. Kai shrugged. 'Whatever. Can I go now?'

'Yes.'

He turned, then looked Luhan in the eyes. 'You'd better be prepared because I won't hold back.'

'We'll see, cub.' Luhan muttered, staring back. 'We'll see.'

Bumping his shoulder hard against Luhan, Kai went out. Luhan turned to go, then thought of something and turned to Suho.

'You know, maybe you should be more worried about claiming your girl.' He told Suho. 'For reasons.'

'Excuse me?'

'Just saying Xiumin isn't like Kai – he's sneaky.' Nodding, Luhan went out.

'Hey! What the hell do you know?' Suho ran after him, then spied Xiumin and growled at him. 'Stay away from her!'

Xiumin blinked as Suho slammed his door shut. Luhan smiled to himself. This was just a little revenge for making him worry.

'What's crawled up his ?' Xiumin asked Luhan.

'Ahem… I might've implied you were aiming for Angel.' Luhan told him. 'Just a heads up if Suho comes gunning after your .'

'You're such an .' Xiumin muttered. 'I don't even like the girl.'

Chuckling, Luhan went out.

…………………