Run Away

Where Love Takes A Plight

Sungyeol's POV

 

My heavy eyelids struggle to flutter open slowly as my blurry sight meets the white ceiling of the unfamiliar room. I blink several times, trying to adjust the bright light that is entering my eyes. When my sight has become clear and sharp, I scan the whole room where I am in now. It's white. The walls. The door. The ceiling. The desk. The sofa. And the bed. Everything is white here.

 

Wait. Bed?

 

Why I am on a bed now? And whose room is this? I try so hard to remember what happened earlier that I almost get a headache. Then I remember, I am in my office just now, trying to get some important files while nagging and complaining about my boss, when I run back upstairs, I have gotten a sudden attack, the exact attack that I've gotten since a few weeks ago, then everything become dark after that. I knock out totally.

 

Oh yeah! I remember now. So I faint when I am trying to call my mom just now. What about my mom? She must be so worry now. I am still wondering about other thing, coincidently just in time, she comes into the room followed with my dad and a stranger in white coat before him. I assume that he is the doctor. They are so engrossed in their own conversation that they don't realise that I am already wide awake now.

 

"Mom? Dad?" My voice calls out hoarsely as I try to sit myself up on the bed, propping myself with a pillow behind my back.

Quickly my parents divert their attentions toward me.

"Oh Dear Lord!" My mom screams in surprise as she runs to my side.

"Yeol-ah!" She calls while enveloping me in her warm hug. "Are you okay, baby?" She asks worriedly.

"I am fine, mom." I answer her with my gummy smile to reassure her that I am really okay.

"Fine?!" My mom repeats after me and she shrieks in horror. Oh, so my smile doesn’t work. “If you’re fine you wouldn’t have ended up in the hospital! How is that being fine?’

 

I give her my confuse look and she sighs heavily in return.

 

"You are not fine, baby." She mumbles lowly, before she looks down and shakes her head frantically, that causes me to become more confuse than I already am.

"Mom..." I reach for her to pat her shoulder gently, but she shrugs my hand off slowly and hold it so tightly that I am beginning to think that my hand’s blood circulation is going to cut off soon if she doesn’t let go.

"You are nowhere near the word 'fine'." She looks at me sadly, trying to tell me an indirect message, a message that I can’t understand.

"What do you mean, mom?" But of course, being the insensible I am, I don't get anything about it. Hey, my inference skills aren’t good okay?

 

Once again, she shoots me one of the most pitiful and saddest glance before she speaks in her croaky voice.

 

"Yo.. you... you’ve got..." She tries to speak, but it's seem like impossible task to do now, as her eyes start to well up with tears.

"I’ve got what, mom?" I ask impatiently, I want to know what is going on.

 

She shakes her head slowly, as though she is trying to shake off whatever bad things in her mind.

 

"What is that, mom? Tell me." I frown. My patience running low.

 

But instead of getting the answer that I am dying to know, I receive a melancholy cry from my mom. Upon being trapped in this confusing situation, I only get more and more impatient.

 

"Just spit it out already, mom!" I groan in frustration as I grip on her shoulders tightly. 

My mom only continues to sob, not giving me any answer.

"Mom, can't you just tell me?!" My frown gets deeper as I shake her a bit.

Her cries only getting louder as she tries to explain my question in her inhuman speed.

"Yuhhgoftacuftmiokarldiafiinfarksionbaebeh." She speaks as fast as the lightning before she breaks into a huge mess of sob and my dad wraps his arms around her.

"WHAT?!" I stare at her in awe, partially amuse of her quick speaking and other is just plain confusion of whatever alien language that she has just spoken and the message she is conveying to me.

"Yeol-ah, I think your mom needs time to calm herself down, so I will leave you with Doctor Park now and he will explain everything, okay?" My dad gives me his small smile before he leads my sobbing mom out of the room.

 

After my parents’ disappearance from my room, I am left alone with an unknown man around my dad's age that I believe is Doctor Park here, well, he is wearing a white robe, so he’s definitely the doctor.

 

"So, Sungyeol-ssi?" The doctor calls me softly that causes me to give my full attention to him.

"Yes?" I look at him with some eagerness. Well, I want to know what’s wrong with me.

"Hello, I am Park Seo Joon, you can call me Doctor Park. Because from now on, I will be the one who is attending to you and making sure you’re alright." He smiles warmly and I smile back at him awkwardly.

"Well, I will just go straight to the point here." He says as I nod. "But before that, I need to ask you a few questions, please answer me honestly, Sungyeol-ssi. Have you been feeling this kind of throbbing pain in your chest before? Does it happens often?"

 

I think for a few seconds before I nod my head. I have a few occasions where I feel such pain.

 

"Yes, doctor. But I never consider it as any serious problem, because usually I’ll only need a bit of rest and everything will be back to normal later." I answer him honestly.

"So, it must be your first time fainting because of the pain, is that right?" This time, I nod my head continuously.

 

The doctor pushes up his glasses a bit as he studies the papers on his hands.

 

"Lee Sungyeol-ssi, the pain that you have thought is nothing has actually led you to endangering your own life.” Dr Park looks at me with a solemn face and says seriously.

"Huh?" I look at him stupidly before my brain starts to process his explanation. "How dangerous can it gets, doctor?" Now I look at him, worriedly. How can I not be? This is my body.

"Acute myocardial infarction-" He starts but I cut him off before he can finish.

"Akyutemeo-what?" I ask dumbly. What kind of name is that? I have studied biology back then but I don’t think I have come across such word.

"It is acute myocardial infarction." The doctor kindly repeats, speaking slower this time. Although I still don't get it, all I do is only nodding this time, so he can continue his explanation without me interfering.

"So basically this disease can be caused by chronic vitamin c deficiency, smoke history, prolonged stress and unhealthy physical activities, also history of cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus." I give my attention to him as I listen carefully.

"But in your case, I believe it was caused by prolonged stress and unhealthy physical activities, You have been leading a stressful life given the fact that you are manager of one of the biggest company in Korea, am I correct to say that?“ I give him a quick nod. It is true. I’m leading stressful life. Handling so many matters of the company is tiring.

"So, the pains that you often felt aren't nothing, Sungyeol-ssi. In fact, it is symptom of this particular disease." He explains.

"Can it be cured, doctor?" I look at him with my wide eyes.

 

The man only gives me a heavy sigh as reply.

 

"I am sorry, Sungyeol-ssi." He says regretfully.

 

I close my eyes and heave a sigh. I get it now. I’m doomed. No wonder my mother is crying so hard. Well, you can’t blame her though. I’m the first born that she has, first child in the family. I’m like the jewel of the family that shines so brightly. It may sounds shameless but it is true.

 

"If only you didn't neglect all the symptoms that you felt and seek medical help, I guess you still can be cured despite the possibility is quite small. As for your condition now..." The doctor gives me his regretful look again as he continues, "There’s nothing much can be done to you anymore.”

 

I only can nod weakly. Oh god. Why, oh why, why must a handsome and successful man like me have to die so young?

 

"I am sorry." The doctor bows a little. "But I will try my best to help you."

 

'Help me? For what? Prolong my life?' I sneer at the thoughts. 

 

Okay. I won't live long anyway. Why can’t just end my agony at one go? Of course I want to live, but what’s the point? I mean, I’ve already known that my days are numbered. No point in prolonging my pain.

 

"So, how much longer I can last, doc?" I ask weakly.

 

"The longest that I can predict is six months, Sungyeol-ssi." The doctor says bitterly.

 

Damn. This hits me hard on the gut. Six months. Six freaking months. Not even a year.

 

'SIX MONTHS? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? LIKE LITERALLY.' I want to yell into the doctor’s face. I mean, doctors are there for a use. USE. That is to cure patients, not going around telling them, ‘Oh, you have like, 6 more months to live, so you’d better draw up a will and say goodbye to your family.’ But I decide not to. All the energy have been drained out of my body ever since the information about my own body sinks in and I can only look at the doctor with the most helpless face in the entire universe.

 

"And the six months aren't guarantee, it can be anytime sooner than the estimated time if you get into situation that will bring stress to your body.” Dr Park continues.

 

Again. Another news that lands a punch right onto my face. Ouch.

 

'See?! He said I can die anytime sooner than six months. So it's mean it can be tonight, tomorrow, next week, or maybe in hours from now on. Great job living till now, Lee Sungyeol.' I mentally pat myself on the back just to cheer myself up. I’m officially insane.

"I hope you accept this sudden news well, Sungyeol-ssi. Once again, I feel sorry for you." The doctor gives me his condolence as he bows before he leaves me alone there.

 

After his leaving, I just stay in the daze. The news is truly shocking. But surprisingly, I don't feel like crying or doing anything. Well, shock period is over. Next level: Acceptance. What the doctor says will happen will eventually happens. I have nothing to cry over and I have no regret for what I have done in my life. I mean, I have been a good son, have a good job, except that I haven’t found my perfect one yet.

 

"Life is unfair." I mutter sadly. It never is.

 


 

Myungsoo's POV

 

The blasting sound emits from all around the dark surrounding enters my ears as soon as I step in and close the door. I walk coolly into the pub, passing through the heated and ‘high’ people on the dance floor.

 

"One vodka please." I order a drink for myself as I sit on one of the stools across the bar counter, tapping my finger on the cold table surface as I wait.

 

The bartender with a hamster look behind the counter nods his head briefly before starting to mix some unknown liquids with ease. I watch him pours out my alcohol slowly into a glass cup.

 

"Yah! Kim Myungsoo!" A familiar voice calls out and I look up to see who it is.

 

I turn my head towards the source of that voice, only to meet my eyes with a dark brown hair man who has a well-built body, smiling widely at me.

 

"Woah! See who I get here?" The short man chuckles as he speaks with some girls around him in his flirty manner while making his way towards my direction.

I keep my gaze at him as he dismisses the girls after he gives them his famous greasy smile.

"Yo! What's up bro? Long time no see." He greets me casually as he hits my chest lightly, but I only stare at him, unamused, cocking one of my eyebrows at him.

"Still not so much of a speaker, are you?" He teases me.

I smirk in return.

"This is your order, sir. Anything else?" The bartender asks politely as he places my glass on the counter in front of me, I shake my head once.

"Hey Gyu! One for me, the one I always have, okay?" The dark brown hair man quickly takes a seat beside me as he orders to the bartender with his signature wink, causing the hamster-look-like bartender rolls his eyes at him. I almost let out a sigh. He still hasn’t change much.

"He looks cute, right?" The man smirks to me, but I only shrug. Not my type. I can only tell myself.

"So, back to the main topic here." He raises one of his brows and asks me confusedly. "What are you doing here, man? I thought you quit drinking and you know." he gestures to the hoard of girls who wear too little, exposing most of their skin. “Those.”

"I can throw the same question back to you, Nam." I answer coldly. 

"Me?" He point at himself. "Well, I come here for some refreshments, not very often, but regular enough. What about you?"

"Same." I gulp down the rest of the liquid in my glass before I order another one.

"Really?" He asks skeptically.

"Yeah."

 

He looks at me doubtfully but he shrugs it off. He is smart enough not to push, but little do I know what is coming up.

 

"You know, it is quite a surprise to meet you here after your disappearance in our high school graduation." He starts and I already know where this conversation will lead to. He is just eager to pry into my life. Just like the old days.

"So? What are you trying to say?" I ask, unaffected at all. I’ve dealt with him long enough and known him well enough.

"And we have been friend for years, so you can’t lie to me, never. What have you been doing Myungsoo?" He gives me an intimidating look.

"Tch. Why are you so eager to know everything about me, Nam?" I’m a little annoyed, man, I come here to clear my mind, not to be bugged by some old friends from high school.

"Hmm, it just so interesting to know everything about a cold prince like you. The mysterious heartbreaker." He teases me a little.

I sigh in defeat to my old friend, "Alright."

"Go on. I am listening." He props himself up with his elbow and look at me.

"My dad wants me to inherit everything soon." I explain briefly, nursing my drink a little.

"Woah!" He laughs, I frown. "As always, your strict dad successfully ruin your flat and dream life." He says sarcastically.

 

I continue to sip my drink as my friend, Woohyun, keeps blabbering about everything that he could think of. It is kind of getting annoying. I am about to change seat when he says something that catches my ears.

 

"Hey, why don't you just run away for a while?" Woohyun suggests out of nowhere.

 

I look at him as though he is an idiot. He is, to some extent. But I still can’t believe it that he actually suggested that to me.

 

"You know my dad, Nam." My dad is powerful. He has manpower all over the world. There’s nowhere I can hide from him, moreover, my face is resembled to his, and people will recognise me. Definitely.

"I know. But as you said before, your dad gives you a month to think, right?" I nod.

"So why don't you just use that precious time to clear your complicated mind for a while?" He looks at me with a lazy look.

 

I ponder for a while. He has a point. Since I still have a month, why not get away from all these first? At least my mind can be in peace for a month before complicated stuff kicks in again.

 

"So?" He asks again.

 

I still in doubt whether to accept his suggestion or not. It do sounds like a good idea but isn’t that escaping from reality?

 

"He won't mind it. Because you aren’t really run away though. You are just trying to refresh your mind before you start your new work, right?"

 

Well, he has the point here as well. Although I know sometimes talking to him is useless since all he says are nonsense and gossips that I’m not even interested in, but there are times where he manages to surprise me with some wisdom that is implanted in him and useful suggestions that actually helps.

 

I look at him with a smirk and he does the same thing to me. Just like the old times.

 


 

Sungyeol's POV

 

I wake up with a sudden pain on my chest.

 

"ARGH!" I groan as I grip on the bed cover painfully, my knuckles turning white.

 

Thud. Thud.

Quickly, I open my drawer and ruffle it to find the medicine that I need very badly right now.

 

Gotcha. I grab hold of the transparent small bottle with a white cap, it is filled with small, white tablets of the medicine I need so badly right now. I pour one of the content of the medicine bottle onto my palm and shove it into my mouth at once before I gulp down a glass of water that has been placed on my bed stand.

 

"Hah. Hah." My breath is heavy, just like I was having a marathon, I can’t stop panting.

 

I throw a brief glance towards my pink clock on my right side only to get shock out of my life.

 

"!" I curse under my breath.

"I am late!" I scream my lungs out as I run, or more like fly, to my bathroom, but I halt on my way when I realise something weird.

 

Oh right!

"Why didn't mom wake me up today?" I ask myself. "Did she forget that I have already been discharged from the hospital yesterday?"

Ah! I really don't have time to think. I am freaking late now. This results in me taking my bath in less than 5 minutes because I am really hurry so I don't have time to do soaping and shampooing anymore. Damn. I’ll stink later on. Hopefully the cologne will help. I dress myself messily, with my shirt half tucking in and half sticking out and my tie hanging loosely around my neck as I make my way down to the dining room.

 

'What’s going on? Why isn’t there anyone here?' I frown to myself as I ask in my mind.

 

It's weird. Very weird and creepy.

 

"Dad? Daeyeol? Mom?" I call for them while looking around.

Huh? What's happen here? Did this house have gotten an earthquake when I slept? Where is everyone? My eyes scan around the entire room confusedly.

 

Oh wait, I think I know where they are. Dad must be in his work by now, Daeyeol must be at college, and mom is probably still sleeping. Hang on. Don’t I’ve just said I am already late for work? Then I need to go now! Just when I am almost stepping out of the house, my mom comes out of her room, yawning lazily.

 

"Yeol." She calls and I turn around to look at her.

"Where are you going baby?" She asks while scratching her nape.

"Work, mom." I answer. Duh. I still have to work right?

She looks at me stupidly before she breaks into a huge grin.

"Oh baby, you don't have work today."

"What?" I ask bewildered. What has gotten into her today?

"Yeah. I am sorry. I forgot to tell you last night." She says in her I’m-not-actually-sorry tone.

"Why?" I ask again. "I mean, why I don't have work?"

"I think you just need to take a break, dear. You have been working so hard lately. So you deserve a vacation." She smiles.

"Vacation? But I haven't-" She cuts me off before I can finish my sentence.

"Don't worry, son. I have told your uncle about it. And about the vacation, I have already booked a ticket to Jeju Island so you'll be staying there for a month."

"Vacation? Jeju? A month?" My mouth leave hanging open like a fool. "Wait. This is too much. I-" I stop halfway when my mom hands me all my needs, my luggage, my passport with an air ticket tucked in between, my house key and car key.

"You better close your mouth now before something get into it." With her warning, I quickly close my mouth.

"This is your ticket, your bag, your wallet and some important documents that you might need later." My mom explains one by one by pointing at them and I look at her disbelievingly.

"Yah. Stop daydreaming, boy! You better go now. Be careful and have fun." She pushes me out of the house with so much force before I can react.

"N-now?" I ask as I look down at the ticket. "But the ticket shows that the flight will only depart at 12 noon and it is still 9 now, mom."

"Better earlier than later right?" My mom winks. "Have fun dear!" She slams the door right in front of my face. Okay. So my family, particularly my mom, have decided to just kick me out of the house so that I can have a vacation. Wow. So thoughtful of them. I pick up my things and walk to my car, at the same time, fixing my appearance.

 


 

Normal POV

 

Myungsoo has just arrived at the airport just in time when announcer is announcing that his flight will depart in 15 minutes’ time. He paces his leg faster than before and after he passed the boarding passage way, Myungsoo runs as fast as his legs can carry him.

 

BUGH.

 

Unfortunately, Myungsoo hasn’t been looking at his path while running and bumps into someone just as he is about to reach his destination. The man that he bumped into falls on his and his things scatter all around him. He let out a small ‘ouch’ since the ground is cold and hard. Myungsoo quickly gathers all the man's things before helping him up and muttering an apology. In no time, Myungsoo runs towards the plane's gate after bowing slightly to man, leaving him behind.

 

"Kim Myungsoo-ssi, 12 F seat." The stewardess reads out his ticket before allowing him to come in.

 

Just in a few seconds later, the lanky messy man comes into the plane's gate in rush.

 

"Lee Sungyeol-ssi, 13 F seat." The stewardess reads his ticket out too, just like what she did to Myungsoo.

 

The lanky man, named Sungyeol, quickly makes his way to the seat which is just right in front of Myungsoo's seat. Myungsoo raises his brows. Isn’t that the man whom he has just knocked into?


 

Thankyou for reading, and please leave your comments~