vii. v a n i l l a

learning the colors

vanilla;

 

Busy streets, noises flutter throughout the busy cities of Brooklyn where Joonmyun’s visiting with his old friends, reconciliation occurring over the past few months. But he came with a surprise. Not really, but sort of.

 

“I never knew it’d be this cold here,” Sehun admits, walking throughout the streets, shivering because a cardigan isn’t enough. It’s strange though. Because Joonmyun’s wearing a cardigan, grey and all, and just a pair of skinny jeans and converse and he’s just fine. But Sehun over here, is wearing a puffy-sized jacket and yet he’s still cold.

 

“You get used to it,” Joonmyun says, taking a gulp of the cone, ice cream on top, vanilla flavored. Sehun will never know his boyfriend all that well.

 

“How can you eat ice cream with this freezing weather?!” Sehun asks, aghast, a bit of his mind frozen up because it’s like negative two degrees. Sixty, to be honest. But still, negative two.

 

Joonmyun shrugs, takes another at his cone and just leans it towards Sehun. The brunette boy (Sehun dyed his hair for the purposes of meeting Joonmyun’s grandparents even though Joonmyun insisted that his blonde-bleached hair was perfectly fine) with no surprise takes a at it, and it feels good. Oh, you know, except for the ing fact that it’s really cold.

 

“You also get used to that,” Joonmyun says, laughing once he sees Sehun jerk back from the coldness of both the ice cream, and the weather, and the wind chill.

 

But then Sehun asks for another , and Joonmyun gives it to him with no hesitation, almost excitement because his boyfriend really likes the ice cream here in Brooklyn, down on the boulevard where he almost used to live. Eventually then though, it escalates into something quickly as Sehun keeps on taking more and more , and gulps, and bites?! Joonmyun’s jealous at how Sehun’s able to bite the ice cream. Like how is that possible. Oh, it’s not.

 

“Hey, stop it!” Joonmyun objects, once he finally gets a back but Sehun just keeps tugging at it, pouting almost and Joonmyun just dies a little bit on the inside because, oh my god, Sehun just looks so adorable.

 

The brunette shakes his head, and just grabs the cone from Joonmyun’s hand. Unfortunately, Joonmyun was in the midst of taking a , therefore his tongue was contacted with nothing. Air. Sad, sad air.

 

“What the f--”

 

He doesn’t get to finish his sentence. Because the next thing he sees with his eyes are a few things. One, Sehun’s surprised face which almost moves in slow-mo and it looks kinda funky. Joonmyun’s not going to lie. But more importantly, two, an ice cream cone flying off of both hands and landing with a guttural splat that makes them both cringe. Oops.

 

“Oh.”

 

Sehun looks panicked.

 

“My.”

 

“H-hyung, I’m sorry!”

 

“God.”

 

Joonmyun almost wants to push Sehun off into the street, but before he can do anything, he’s already engulfed into something else. Something warm, like a teddy bear. Yeah, definitely like a teddy bear. Why is that? Oh, because his boyfriend’s hugging him really tightly and it feels really warm, clouds from all disintegrating and turning into something like rays of sunshine and warmth and the missing smells of vanilla.

 

“I’m sorry for your unfortunate disastrous end of your ice cream cone. Well--not really though because you were it more than you me, and I don’t like that so, ha! Jokes on you, Kim Joonmyun.”

 

The shorter brunette (the other one) just stands there, confused face and mouth perched open because what.

 

“Erm,” Joonmyun says, not sure of what to say because he didn’t even know that Sehun had liked it whenever Joonmyun just him randomly back in California in their apartment. s? Frustrations?

 

“I mean, let’s go get you another cone!” Sehun says, and he chuckles, nervously. Blush almost visible in the dim lights, and Joonmyun just stares but eventually lets it go once Sehun throws an arm around his shoulder and keeps on moving forward.

 

And maybe, it’s okay. Because Joonmyun’s learned the colors of splattered vanilla on the sidewalk. But to be honest, he would rather much preferred of just having the cone in his hand. Oh well though. At least he has someone who smells like vanilla twenty-four seven.


weekend and no marching band on saturday but I HAVE SHOPPING TO DO CARDIGANS YAS