2

Don't Go

July 10, 2014.

It had been three days since Taeyeon lived in this small, warm house of Sunny. She received enough, even more than enough. Sunny gave her a private room (though it was small and a bit dirty), food and drink, protection from the sun and the rain. Still doubting what she would decide to do next in her life, Taeyeon was really grateful that she could temporarily find her 'escape' as well as 'protection' in this house. 

But it couldn't be forever. She couldn't burden Sunny longer than this. She had to go, even though she didn't know where. 

She looked around Sunny's house as she made up her mind. Should she pack up her stuffs now? Should she wait for Sunny and say her gratitude first and then leave properly? Or should she just leave a letter and step out of this house right now?

But if she waited for Sunny to come home, Sunny would probably ask her to stay and she couldn't do that. Probably it was better for her to leave now. She went back to her room and started packing up her clothes. 

"Taeyeon-ah! I'm home!" 

Taeyeon jolted from the bed she was sitting on, not expecting Sunny to come home this fast because that short hair woman usually came home at night. And this had just been evening. She walked to the front door.

"Uh.. Hi"

"It's been three days since we knew each other. You can just greet me comfortably" Sunny smiled.

Taeyeon didn't reply anything. How could this woman in front of her be so kind to her? 

"Oh, by the way, I'm getting something from the mini-market. It's Saturday night so I'm gonna buy some drinks. You wanna come along?"

"Huh? Uh, no thanks.. I'll just wait here.."

Sunny chuckled, and then out of the blue she reached out her arm and grabbed Taeyeon by the hand. "Don't be so shy around me, will you? C'mon just tag along"

They went out of the house and Taeyeon could only follow Sunny as the latter dragged her around the house area. When they arrived at the mini-market, Sunny quickly took five big bottles of alcohol and put them in the shop basket.

"If you want anything, just tell me, you can borrow my money first"

Taeyeon shook her head. "No, I'm fine. Thanks"

Sunny tilted her head. "You sure? You don't want any beer?"

Taeyeon immediately shook at the mention of alcohol. "No. No, I don't drink"

"Hey, I was just offering. Okay then let's pay for these stuffs"

Taeyeon sighed as she followed Sunny again. It's not like she's still a kid and had never been drunk before. It wasn't because she didn't want to, but because she couldn't.

Sunny cooked dinner for the two of them as soon as they got back home. When it was done, she put the plates on the table and set up two glasses. 

The two ate in silence before Sunny spoke up.

"So.. I'm not going to force you if you don't want to tell me. But.. if you don't mind I'm willing to listen to whatever problems you're facing now"

Taeyeon just kept silent and focused on eating her food.

Sunny gulped. "You can always take your time"

After eating, Sunny opened the first bottle of alcohol and pour it into her glass. Taeyeon kept munching her food while watching Sunny gulping her first glass. Then, a minute after, second glass. In a blink of an eye, Sunny had been gulping her third glass. 

Sunny noticed Taeyeon's eyes on her. 

"Hey, just tell me if you want some"

Taeyeon's eyes widened and she quickly shook her head again. "N-no, no. That's not it. I don't want it, really"

"Awh, c'mon Taeyeon. You gotta try this. There's no 26 year old woman in this world who cannot or doesn't drink. Just one sip doesn't hurt" Sunny grabbed Taeyeon's glass and poured some from the bottle into it. 

"Sunny-ah. I don't.. I can't drink"

The alcohol began intoxicating Sunny as she kept pouring and ignoring Taeyeon's complaints. She then approached Taeyeon by her side and showed the glass in front of her.

"You're gonna be alright, trust me" Sunny said again. She then tried forcing the glass to enter Taeyeon's mouth. 

"Sunny, I don't want to!" Taeyeon turned her head to reject the alcohol. "Don't force me! Please"

"Such a rigid woman. I gotta teach you how to enjoy life" Sunny lingered her arms around Taeyeon, locking her and once again persuaded her with the glass.

"Sunny! I cannot drink it!" Taeyeon couldn't stand it anymore that she had to push Sunny's arms away.

The glass fell to the floor, broken into pieces. Taeyeon wiped her tears away and ran to her bedroom. She locked the door, and soon sat in front of it, clutching herself with her arms as she always did when she was crying. 

She stopped clutching as she put her hands on her stomach. She rubbed it slowly and cried again.

This was why she couldn't tell Sunny. She couldn't tell anyone about this. It was too shameful that even her parents dumped her. If she told it to Sunny, Sunny would hate her too. 

She bumped herself on the bed as more tears poured out from her eyes, and those wet eyes slowly drifted her unconscious. 


3:00 AM in the dawn. The short hair woman silently made her way to Taeyeon's bedroom. She had not been aware of what had happened until she fell asleep and woke up with a clearer mind. She checked the room and did not move until she was convinced Taeyeon was unconscious enough to notice any sound.

The reason she did this was because.. there was something that Taeyeon was hiding to her. She didn't want to take Taeyeon's privacy but she had promised to help Taeyeon as much as she could. So she needed to know. Taeyeon deserved to get help.

The first thing she opened in the room was Taeyeon's bag. At first she found nothing but clothes. 

"Pssh, she planned to secretly leave?" Sunny whispered in her heart. Finding nothing on the first part of the bag, she opened the second zipper and it revealed some other stuffs like wallet, ID card, passport, and some other private stuffs. After checking and making sure it had nothing to do with Taeyeon's problems, she closed the second part.

The only left part of the bag was the small pocket at the front part. Sunny let out a deep breath before finally opening the zipper. She put her hand inside and tried to find something. In the end, her fingers were stucked in a kind of paper. She tried her best to take it out without breaking it. 

In her hand she saw a white envelope. The envelope was in a bad condition. Soaked from the water and teared apart in many sides. Nevertheless, Sunny tried flipping it back and forth, hoping to find some kind of clue. She finally found something written on it.

Seoul Center Hospital. Ultrasonography Department.

Sunny swallowed her saliva when she read it. Afraid that she would wake up the related woman, she brought the envelope to the living room and opened it there. 


Taeyeon woke up once more when she sensed a strong smell coming from the other part of the house. She sat up and almost threw up due to the smell, but she tried her best to hold it in and to ignore the smell for a few minutes after. 

The door opened and she saw the smiling Sunny.

"Good morning"

"Y- Yeah"

"Look, I'm sorry about last night" 

Taeyeon sighed once she was reminded of that. 

"Nevermind. I'm sorry for shouting at you" She stared at Sunny for a while. "Sunny, actually I.. I'd better leave from your house soon"

"Why?"

"I.. I've burdened you too much. I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm not your family. You shouldn't help me like this. I should go"

Sunny didn't answer. Instead, she just walked to Taeyeon's side. 

"I'm not burdened by you. Afterall, I've always lived by myself. Having a company is a good thing actually" She continued after sitting down. "And you're not going anywhere from here"

"Sunny, but I.."

"Ssshh" Sunny cut down her sentence by putting her point finger on Taeyeon's mouth. "The only place you'll be going with me today, is the hospital"

Taeyeon widened her eyes, her heart felt like falling from its place.

"Just get up and take a shower. You and your little one needs a check-up"