6

Don't Go


Sunny looked at the calendar in her office room as she took a quick break from her overloading works. Time passed by so quickly, she thought, and if she counted correctly, it was time to bring Taeyeon for another check-up. Thinking of Taeyeon, she smiled. Taeyeon knew little of how much her presence had changed Sunny ever since. 

She planned to talk about it to Taeyeon when they were having their dinner after she went home later. She ended up using her break time to catch up with the rest of her job and finished even sooner than she should. 

But when she arrived at home that night, the house was dark. The lamp in the living room was off. Sunny felt a thump in her heart when she saw this. Did Taeyeon fall asleep that she forgot to turn on all the lamps?

"Taeyeon-ah?" She opened the door. "I'm home"

She still hadn't heard any voice by the time she was taking off her shoes. By then she realized, that one pair of shoes that belonged to Taeyeon was nowhere around.

"Taeyeon!?" The panic came to Sunny's voice as she barged into her own house. "Taeyeon-ah!"

The first room she checked was, of course, Taeyeon's bedroom. When she the light and saw that Taeyeon's bag was also gone, sweats started running down her forehead. What did that woman think by running away secretly again? She didn't even know how many hours had it been since she escaped. How was she supposed to search for her?

Not giving up yet, Sunny explored the other parts of the house. She hoped Taeyeon would be in the kitchen, too busy cooking dinner for her that she had forgot to turn on the lamps, but that was not it. She hoped Taeyeon was just taking time to shower herself in the bathroom, but the woman wasn't there either. 

Sunny sat down on her sofa, breathing out exhausted breath. She tried to refresh her memory and she reckoned she didn't say anything wrong to Taeyeon. Not even when they were having their 'date' in the park yesterday. So why? 

She took out her phone from her pocket and found Jessica's number. She was too tired and too lonely to find a solution by herself. But then the sound of the front gate squeakingly opened made her jolt. In panic, yet in hope. 

Like a flash, she stepped to the front door and found Taeyeon standing, her face full of sweats but her face smiling. 

"Yah!" Sunny yelled. "Why did you leave the house!?"

"H- Hey. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I went somewhere"

"You should've at least informed me before I went to work!" Sunny unconsciously raised her voice. She was already too worried that all she could feel was anger.

"I'm sorry. But I remember I told you I was going to apply for a job somewhere nearby" Taeyeon looked at her with eyes full of apologies.

"You didn't tell me it was gonna be today" 

"I'm sorry again. Were you worried?"

"Hella yeah!" Sunny shouted once more. Her breath quickened. 

Taeyeon walked closer to her. She gave Sunny a sad look before taking Sunny's hand in hers and it in a hope to calm the other woman down.

"I said I'm sorry. You don't need to worry next time, I'm not going to run away secretly again. Please, do forgive me"

Sunny felt the warmth in her hand began spreading to her body, slowly and gently until it reached her heart. 

"Sorry for shouting at you" She started. "I was too worried to be honest. Maybe I need to take a bath first"

"I bring a good news today though"

"What is it?"

"I get accepted for the job. I will start working next week"

"What?" Sunny widened her eyes. "But you.."

"And I've found a good, cheap place to stay nearby. Next month, after I get my first salary, I will move so I can live by myself"

"Alone? By yourself?"

Taeyeon nodded.

"But what if something happens to you? What if you get cramp again like last time? What if you get exhausted and need help and food and..."

"Sunny" Taeyeon cut her off. "I am pregnant, not crippled"

Sunny wanted to scold. Wanted to prohibit Taeyeon of moving out of this house. Wanted to ask Taeyeon to stay. But afterall, what was she to Taeyeon to do that?

She sighed and finally gave in. "Fine, but you have to promise me some things too"

"What are they?"

"First, you have to let me know if anything happens. Second, I'm still going to take you for a regular check-up, even if you don't want and don't have money whatsoever. Third.."

"Third?" Taeyeon tilted her head.

"Third.." Sunny's face turned almost red. "Promise to keep contact with me and not to avoid me"

"Promises taken" Taeyeon smiled. 

"Speaking of check-up" Sunny quickly brought up the topic. "I should take you again tomorrow. It's time again, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but.."

"No 'but' this time. Are you going to break your promise?"

"...Okay, I will go" Taeyeon answered after thinking for a few minutes.

 

The hospital was as crowded as always. Sunny had to wait for a long queue before she could register Taeyeon's name and came back to the seat where Taeyeon was waiting. Most of the time waiting there, Taeyeon was always silent. 

Sunny watched her face as seconds passed. Sometimes when Taeyeon was silent like this, she wondered what thoughts were crossing her mind. When she was not talking, her eyes always hid many feelings mixed together. Feelings Sunny didnt' know and wanted to know. She wanted to open Taeyeon's world. Wanted to know Taeyeon's mind. 

She gulped as suddenly her heart pounded hard without her permission. Looking at the other patients passing back and forth in the waiting room was the only thing she could do to distract herself.

Suddenly, there was a couple taking the seats next to them. Judging from their conversation, they were most likely a newly wed couple having their first kid.

"If it's a boy, what would you like to name him?" They heard the woman's voice.

"A name that has similar meaning to yours, so he can grow up to be smart like you" The man replied. "What if it is a girl?"

"A name that has similar meaning to yours too, so she can be a kind-hearted person like you" The woman answered again.

"You're so sweet. I am so lucky to find a woman like you" The man said.

"No, I am the lucky one to have you" The woman continued.

"You cheesy"

"You started it"

"I love you"

"I love you too"

As much as they felt annoyed, Sunny and Taeyeon couldn't do anything but to overhear the conversation. It made them cringe just by listening to it. Should it be called lucky, the couple was soon called to the doctor's room and the seats were silent again.

"What a couple" Sunny snorted.

There was no comment from Taeyeon. She just sat frozen on her chair. But after a minute passed she couldn't hold it in anymore.

"It must be nice, isn't it" She said. "Being able to come here with a person you love the most and have a happy family"

Taeyeon didn't know it, but Sunny felt hurt by what she said. Sunny threw her gaze somewhere else, trying to hide her hurt expression. She couldn't blame Taeyeon for feeling like that though. She wasn't anybody to Taeyeon. She was here just as a friend and Taeyeon couldn't even introduce her to the doctor as 'someone important for her'.

But she didn't give up hope. Not being able to do that right now didn't mean she would never be able to. Sunny took a deep breath in.

Not long after, they heard Taeyeon's name mentioned by the nurse. Sunny looked at her as if hoping this time, Taeyeon would invite her to come along inside.

But Taeyeon just smiled and then stepped inside the doctor's room by herself. Sunny breathed out deeply in disappointment. She thought of any possible excuse so she could come inside the room.

After a few minutes of thinking, deciding, and doubting, she finally braced herself and approached the room's door. She opened it slowly and popped her head out from behind the door. 

But she didn't find anyone. Taeyeon and the doctor were not there. After looking around, she just realized they might be behind the blue curtain at the left side of the room. She tried to not overhear, but she ended up hearing some words from the doctor explaining Taeyeon's condition. 

Then, the curtain suddenly opened up and Sunny jolted in shock. Taeyeon must be confused why she was here. She spinned her brain trying to find herself an excuse.

"Sunny?" Taeyeon asked in confusion as she was just about to put her jeans zipper back up and pull down her t-shirt. The milky white skin of her tummy was still showing and Sunny couldn't help but noticing it.

"I.. I-I.." Sunny smiled awkwardly. "I was just kinda curious.. Is it a boy or a girl?"

, Sunny. What kind of excuse was that.

The doctor only grinned as she saw Sunny's tomato face.

"Your friend, Taeyeon-ssi?" 

"Ah, yes" Taeyeon answered even though she still didn't understand why Sunny was suddenly inside.

"It's a boy, from what I examine so far" The doctor said to Sunny.

"Ah. I see. Hahaha" Sunny laughed, in an awkward way, again. "I'll be back waiting outside then"

She quickly creeped out of the room and once she was outside again, she let out a deep, long breath. She didn't know why she did that in the first place. She went back to the waiting chair and rubbed her own face.

 

On their way home, Taeyeon kept looking at Sunny. Sunny thought she would be angry due to her rude action earlier, but instead, Taeyeon kept giggling while looking at her. 

"You should have just told me if you wanted to come inside"

"I thought you would like to be alone"

"You didn't tell me you wanted to come along, so I didn't ask you"  

Sunny hid her embarassed face as Taeyeon laughed again. 

"Anyway, congratulations for getting a boy" 

"What's the difference if it's a girl though"

"Not that I'm saying having a boy is luckier than a girl" Sunny explained. "But really, just imagine when the girl grows up later. You need to find her dresses that match with her waist. Not to mention, helping her find her bra cup size. Buying her cosmetics and stuffs"

"It's not like we've never done stuffs like that for ourself" 

"Yeah.. Anyway, I was thinking.. Would you fancy shopping with me sometime later?"

"Oh, you need to buy some things?"

Sunny shook her head. "Of course not for me, I mean for your little one. Or should I say, for your little boy. Since we know the gender now, we can buy baby stuffs for a baby boy"

"But I've never done such a thing. I don't know what to buy either.."

"Don't worry" Sunny winked at her. "We can ask someone's help for that"

 

And so that was how Sunny invited Jessica and Tiffany to shop along, since Sunny knew that Tiffany was getting a baby boy too and she knew more about shopping than anyone else did. It felt almost like a double date for them, even though Sunny knew she hadn't established any relationship with Taeyeon.

"You should buy a stroller. It is very important to choose which stroller you want, because it depends on the function..." Sunny could hear Tiffany's never ending voice explaining stuffs to Taeyeon.

"Yah, so how's it going?" Jessica found a chance to talk with Sunny when Taeyeon and Tiffany were busy looking for clothes. 

"Nothing much"

"You did go out for a date right?"

"It can't be called a date though" Sunny rolled her eyes. "But I'm happy that at least she starts opening up herself to me"

Jessica poked her shoulder and chuckled. "That's one of your specialty isn't it? Making women comfortable around you and then they fall for your charms?"

"Hey, I don't do that to every woman!" Sunny poked her back playfully.

"Sunny-ah" Without realizing it, Taeyeon was suddenly in front of her. "I need your help finding a good motive for the clothes. Could you help?"

"Yes, ma'am. For sure" Sunny replied immediately and winked at Jessica.

While scrolling through a pack of baby clothes in front of them, Sunny felt really happy inside. She felt almost as if she was the one being with Taeyeon now as they're gonna have a kid just like what Tiffany and Jessica did. Shopping was usually the thing she hated the most, but if she had to do it for Taeyeon, she didn't mind standing in the mall for hours and hours.

"Sunny?"

Suddenly a familiar voice called her from behind. She turned to look and the happines on her face turned into shock.

"It's really you! Long time no see!" A woman with a brown, curly long hair smiled at her. Sunny recognized that face very much. The beautiful oval face with wide eyes and pretty mouth.

"Hyominnie?"