Falling to Pieces

Don't Go

Knock! Knock!

The hospital was not in its visiting time, so Hyomin turned her attention from the window to the knocks on the door. Not a long time after though, she could see a tiny head popping out from behind the door, letting her see the face she had longed for quite a while.

"Hara-yah!"

She almost shouted in joy. The little girl ran right away to her mother's embrace even if she knew her mom's body was full of IV injections. 

"Why are you here? Where is Auntie Sunny?"

"I am here" The mentioned woman appeared behind Hara. 

"Sunny-ah" Hyomin let go of Hara. "What brings you here?"

"I..." Sunny paused for a bit. "I need to return Hara to you for a while, hopefully just one day"

"That is fine, but... What happened?"

"s happened" Sunny tightened her knuckles while answering. "I need to find Taeyeon"

"Taeyeon's lost?"

"No, but..." She sighed. "I will tell you everything after it's cleared up" 

Hyomin was still curious, but she was quite sure it was best not to ask further. "Okay, I hope you can figure it out soon then"

That made Sunny smile. "Thanks, Hyomin"

"Sunny-ah" Hyomin continued, her voice was hoarse. "I want to say sorry"

"For what?"

"I was the one telling Taeyeon to not trust in you"

Hyomin expected either a pissed off face or a sad one, but unexpectedly, Sunny's expression was flat. 

"It's because I was jealous. I wanted to be with you again, but it looked like you two were in love with each other. I tried to make her leave you, but she became your girlfriend instead..."

"She did not leave because of that" The standing woman finally replied. "And thanks to you, I confessed to her and she accepted me"

Hyomin took a while to think. "I realize now that I am dying, so there's no point in having anyone to love anymore. I just wish I could make Hara happy"

Sunny sat down on one of the chairs next to the bed, she held the hands of the latter. "Aren't you getting better?"

"I don't know, I really don't know. The doctors said I'm stabile for now, but... The possibility to be healed is so small"

"Don't say that, anything can still happen. I am sure you will be okay"

Hyomin just gave her a weak smile. "Sunny-ah, I don't know if I'm asking too much from you, but I do have one more request"

"What is it? I will help as long as I can help"

The mother looked at her little daughter, who was now enjoying the view outside the window, then stared back at Sunny. 

"First, I do hope that you and Taeyeon can be together for good" She her lips. "Then, I really do hope you can love Hara as much as I do"

Sunny narrowed her eyes. "You mean...?"

"Sunny-ah, if anything happens to me, would you take Hara to be your step-daughter?"

The request made Sunny stupefied. "I..."

Hyomin knew she was probably asking too much, indeed, so she did not say anything more and could only hold her ex-girlfriend's hands tightly and looked into her eyes deeply.

The thought of Taeyeon came into Sunny's mind. She still remembered the day she took her to the hospital back then, and still remembered what Taeyeon said.

"I want to learn to build a family with you"

The strengthened grip on her hands woke her up from her thoughts. She realized Hyomin was waiting for a decision from her, so she fixed her eyes.

"I would"


* * *


The boy in his black t-shirt and jeans was now standing in front of a door. He knew even if he tried to get in, all he would get was a rejection from the woman who was lying down inside. Nevertheless, he decided to try for the nth time, not even bothering to ask permission from the room's owner that moment.

He pulled the door knob just like that and entered sloppily. As expected, the person she wanted to see did not even seem to care who was coming. She just stayed in her position, which she had been in for a few hours already, on the bed.

"Yah, do you think everything will be solved if you keep being like this? Sit up and talk to me!" He started with an irritated voice.

Not getting any answer, his pissed off blood was boiling inside. The hormones got him impatient and made him approach the woman abruptly, about to make her turn around by his own arms. 

"Don't touch me!"

He got yelled at, which gave him more reasons to be annoyed. 

"You have been turned to a wild fox or what? You have never shouted at me like that"

Noticing that the woman did not respond anymore, he carried on with his actions and this time he managed to turn her around to face him.

"Taeyeon, just give up and accept the fact that we're going to get married soon and build a family together. Why don't you try to forget her and start loving me again?"

She started dropping tears on her face. The boy realized there was nothing in her eyes but emptiness and those tears; her body felt limp and powerless against him.

"You really make me annoyed, don't you know!?" 

Baekhyun used her strong hands to force Taeyeon's face onto his own, trying to kiss her lips. He knew he would get slapped, but he was too angry to care. However, when their lips were about to touch, Taeyeon quickly turned her head away, avoiding the kiss.

He stared at her for a while before finally giving up. He stood up, snorted, and walked away through the door lazily just like how he got in. 

Taeyeon could hear the sound of the banging door, but her eyes were fixed on the window. Never would she betray Sunny's love by kissing another person. Even though, deep down there, she knew she herself was longing to be touched. How she wished Sunny was there to be the one kissing her, carressing her head, and rubbing her everytime she got aches all over her body.

She began to imagine things Sunny did to her, like the touches and the kisses. Yes, those kisses which taste she would never forget. It might have been days but she would never forget how Sunny's lips tasted like: sweet and heavenly.

Then, she could not believe her body began heating up because of those imaginations, and was released out by the warm breaths through . The breaths got even warmer when she began imagining Sunny's breaths flowing onto , and she herself onto Sunny's mouth.

"Sunny-ah..." She whispered, in a low volume as possible, in the middle of her heavy sighs.

She closed her eyes as her minds brought her back to the day Sunny confessed to her. It was very vivid in her mind; Sunny's face and hair were wet under the rain as she confessed to her. From the first time they met until then, Sunny had always been the one to fight for her, fight for them. No matter how many times she tried to repay Sunny, she always felt like it would never be enough. 

Taeyeon opened her eyes and gripped her fingers on her pants. She wished she could do something to fight for them that time, but what could she do when her father had all the power to restrain everything? To even make Sunny suffer with that power? Wouldn't it be better for Sunny to carry on with her life without having to go through any trouble with her again? Sunny had suffered enough, and she needed to bear all of this by herself from now on. She could not burden Sunny any further than this.

She cried again, burying her head onto the pillow.


* * *

The sun was shining brightly outside and the weather was quite hot, but it didn't stop Sunny from walking. She had been walking around for an hour now, trying to find the address she got from where used to be Taeyeon's workplace. As Jessica had predicted, the cafetaria where Taeyeon had worked did have the complete address, but Sunny had little knowledge of the location. It was somewhere she had never visited before, and now she was lost under the burning sun. 

Throughout the journey to find the house, all she could think of was Taeyeon. That was all or nothing, she thought. She would come home either with Taeyeon in her arms or lose Taeyeon forever. 

She found a grandmother sweeping the street's leaves with a broom, so she tried the idea of asking people about the address. She approached the grandma and managed to pull a polite smile even if her face was sweaty.

"Excuse me, grandma"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt your work, but... I'm looking for a house. I know the address but I don't know how to get there"

She took out the paper with her handwriting written on it and let the grandma take a look. 

"Ah, this is Mr.Kim's house" She gasped.

"Do you know this house, granmda?" Sunny's face lightened up, feeling like she got a clue at last.

"Of course, all of the neighborhood knows this person. He is a popular businessman who has this big house in this area. I heard he owns a lot of companies, but these days he lost his daughter"

"How do I get to the house?"

"Just turn right at the end of this street. The first big house with beautiful glasses wall is the one"

Sunny bowed her head. "Thank you, grandma"

She had known a little about Taeyeon's family background before and didn't know that her girlfriend apparently came from an upper class family. The thought of facing Taeyeon's father once more did scare her a bit, but it compared nothing to seeing Taeyeon again. 

She followed the grandma's instructions until she found the house with the most suitable description. It was a big, luxurious house indeed, and it gave her this unworthy feeling knowing that she had not even a half of what Taeyeon's family had. Her heart pounded like crazy and her stomach tensed up. However, after compiling all the courage she had left, she pushed the building's bell with a trembled finger.

It didn't take long for someone to come out, but it wasn't Taeyeon nor her dad. Judging from the look, Sunny guessed the middle-aged woman must be Taeyeon's very own mother.

"Excuse me, does Kim Taeyeon live here?"

"Yes, she does. I'm sorry, can I know your name?"

"I- I'm... Lee Sunny. Excuse me, are you... Mrs.Kim?"

"Yes, I am. Ah, so you are Sunny she has told me about"

"Mrs.Kim, I know my visit here might not be a pleasure, but... I want to ask your permission to... to meet Taeyeon"

The older woman seemed doubtful, but finally she unlocked the gate and gave Sunny a warm smile. 

"Please come in, Taeyeon's dad is not at home, you can see my daughter but probably nothing more than that. Her father will be very angry if she's gone"

It discouraged Sunny for not being able to take Taeyeon back with her, but at least, she could see the face she had wanted to see.

"Okay, thank you for your understanding, Mrs.Kim"

They walked through the garden, not knowing at all that the woman Sunny was looking for was now watching them from the glass window on the second floor. She watched them until they disappeared from the first floor's door, and then squatted down in sadness as tears dropped again from her eyes. 

Her eyes were longing to see Sunny's face and her arms were longing to touch her. To top it all, her heart was yearning for Sunny. However, her mind stopped it all, reminding her that she had promised herself not to burden her loved one anymore than this. She didn't want to do it, but she had to. 

She had to let Sunny go. 

Meanwhile, Mrs.Kim pleased Sunny to have a seat on the living room's sofa and served her a cup of tea.

"I'm really sorry for what you have been going through with Taeyeon" She moved the cup from the tray to the table. "Thank you for helping her and taking care of her when we were not there"

Even though she was not in the mood to drink, Sunny brought the cup to her lips and took a sip. "It's nothing, Mrs.Kim. I'm glad that I could be such a help for her"

"Actually, Taeyeon told me everything, but my husband just brought her home forcefully like that. I'm sorry for that"

Sunny shook her head. "It's normal because Taeyeon is his daughter and he doesn't know who I am. No one wants his daughter to be with a stranger"

"I will call Taeyeon for you, wait a minute, okay?" She smiled to Sunny before standing up and walking to the stairs.

Before she even got to the second floor, though, she had found Taeyeon on the stairs, still squatting down with her head facing the glass window. The daughter had no expression on her face, even though everyone could tell her eyes were still puffy from crying.

"Taeyeon-ah" Her mom sat down beside her and her shoulder gently. "Sunny is here. She wants to meet you"

Taeyeon looked at her mom. She took her mom's hands to help her standing up. They walked back downstairs in a slow pace. Hearing the familiar footsteps, Sunny quickly put down the tea cup and got prepared.

When Taeyeon's feet landed on the living room, her mom left somewhere, giving a space for the two women to talk. Sunny could not believe she almost broke into tears once she saw that figure of Taeyeon once more. 

"Taeyeon-ah" Without doubts, she threw a hug all over the petite body of her lover. "Taeyeon-ah, are you fine?"

Taeyeon wanted to instruct her arms to move, to pull Sunny closer to her, to kiss her and touch her, but she knew she had to make herself feel numb that moment. She had to keep her promise to herself. 

Sunny slowly released her embrace when she realized the latter didn't respond anything. Confused, she stared deeply into Taeyeon's eyes.

"Taeyeon, are you okay?"

"I am fine" Taeyeon's mouth moved, even though her face was soulless. "Now you have seen me and know that I live well"

"What do you mean? I... I want to know more than the fact that you're healthy. I miss you!"

"Thank you, but" Taeyeon looked away to avoid getting locked by Sunny's eyes. "You need to know nothing more than me living well without you"

Stunned by the statement, Sunny convinced herself that Taeyeon must have said the wrong thing, or her ears might have been damaged that she heard something wrong.

"Without me, you said?"

"Yes" Taeyeon answered right away. "You can see by yourself that I am just fine without you. So you don't need to worry anymore and can go back to your small house"

This time Sunny knew she didn't hear it wrong. "Taeyeon-ah, you're lying to me, aren't you?"

"I'm not. Thank you for taking care of me and helping me, but I have my family now so I don't need you anymore"

Sunny gritted her teeth, her body felt like it was trapped in a huge block of ice cube. 

"I can't believe this" She said. "I can't believe you said this"

"Please, just go home" Taeyeon pleaded.

"You still love me! You just don't want to burden me and anyone in your family! You're running away!"

I have to stay strong. Taeyeon whispered to herself in her heart. I have to stay strong and turn my back.

She showed her back to Sunny so she could not see the water from her eyes pouring again. She took a deep breath to make herself sound stabile and convincing.

"I was just using you so I could survive. Once again, thank you for everything. I hope you will find a happy life, too"

Didn't wait for any response from Sunny, Taeyeon stepped to the stairs and dropped her bangs to cover her hurt face, leaving Sunny alone. Soon after that, she could hear Sunny walking downstairs, slowly and slowly until the steps were far from her reach. 

Then, she could hear the opening of the door and the closing of it. By then, when she was sure that Sunny had been out of the house, she let herself break down.

She bursted into despair, started sobbing like crazy in desperation while mumbling Sunny's name frequently. Her mom, having listened to everything from upstairs, came to her and could do nothing but pulled her onto her chest and rubbed her back gently.