4

Don't Go

Taeyeon took a sneak peek at Sunny's kitchen before checking the time. It was still 6.30 PM. She still had time to do it before Sunny came home. She stepped inside the small kitchen and opened the drawers. 

Rice, checked. Egg, checked. Ketchup, checked. Salt, sugar, checked. Frying oil, checked. She opened the other drawer and surveyed the cooking equipments she would need. They were all there. Perfect.

She started cooking with all her might. She didn't do this because she was hungry. She did this to show her gratitude. Days by days passed and there was nothing she could do to repay Sunny but to do things like this. It took hour almost half an hour to cook the fried rice, and by the time it was almost finished she had been sweating all over her body, but she didn't mind. She wrapped it up by putting the fried rice on two plates.

She remembered something missing from the fried rice when the sound of the front gate heard. Taeyeon just quickly moved the plates from the kitchen to the small dining table near the living room. 

"Taeyeon-ah, I'm home. I have a good news. Jessica and Tiffany are..." Sunny was about to continue, but she then noticed the food on the table, and the beautiful chef standing beside it. "Oh you ordered some food already?"

Taeyeon shook. "I prepared them"

"You cooked?" Sunny's face turned shocked, but bright as well. 

"I hope you don't mind that I use the ingredients in the kitchen"

"Of course I don't mind! I'm so hungry now!" Sunny sat down on the dining chair but then her intention to eat was cut off. "God, I was about to tell you that Jessica and Tiffany invited us for a dinner at their place.."

"Ah, if it's so.."

"But never mind! You already cooked all of this, of course I have to eat it! We can go to their place a bit late later" Sunny quickly grabbed the spoons. "Thank you for the food!"

She began eating and tasting it. Taeyeon examined as she did so, and from Sunny's expression, she could tell that it wasn't disappointing.

"It's really good!" Sunny commented. "You have to cook for me often!"

"Glad you like it"

"But.. Why did you cook? I mean, out of sudden?"

"That.. I.." Taeyeon blushed as she tried to explain. "You've always helped me so far and I've never done anything to help you. I think, if at least I could do one thing, I can cook for you everyday if you want to"

This time, it was Sunny who turned blushing. Taeyeon just said it in a way of expressing gratitude, but the thought of having her dinner prepared by this woman she had been helping melted her. She didn't mind, in fact she would like it, if Taeyeon could cook for her everyday like this.

"Of course, I would still think of a way to help myself" Taeyeon continued. "I would find a way, maybe find a job so I could live by myself for the meantime"

Sunny's melted heart turned worried again. She had thought about this. Of course, with the job she was having now, she couldn't earn enough to pay for both her and Taeyeon's living costs. But it's not like Taeyeon had to move out either. It felt strange though. She hadn't known Taeyeon for a long time but she enjoyed Taeyeon's presence around her. She didn't understand why.

"We can always talk about that later" Sunny responded.

The dinner turned rather silent after that. Both of them were drown in their own deep sea of thoughts as they finished their food. Not noticing that there was only one glass of water on the table, they accidentally grabbed it together. Fingers met, but soon separated as they pulled their hands awkwardly.

Taeyeon giggled as she realized what had just happened. And little did she know that it was the first smile she had ever shown in front of Sunny, and it was making the woman mesmerized. Sunny sat frozen as she stared at that smile, even if it only lasted for a split second.

Taeyeon noticed Sunny's changing eyes. 

"What is it?"

"No, just.." Sunny smiled. "It was the first smile I have ever seen from you since we met"

Taeyeon didn't know how to respond. She just her lips and stared at her empty plate.

"Hey, if you want to pay your gratitude to me, you have to do one more thing" Sunny went on.

"What is it?"

"Smile more" Sunny stood up. "So.. Are you gonna come with me to Jessica and Tiffany's house?"

"Am I allowed to?"

Sunny chuckled. "Pabo-yah, of course you're allowed to! I'll take a shower first and then we can go"

Taeyeon nodded. As Sunny requested, she gave one more smile that night. As Sunny went to the bathroom, she headed to her own bedroom and layed herself on the bed while waiting. She took a deep breath and let it out. Somehow, it had been a while since she could lay down in peace like this. 

She didn't know what gave her that peaceful feeling though. Then she remembered the way Sunny enjoyed the food that she prepared. Was it Sunny's happy expression that gave her this feeling? Or maybe she just felt relieved that she had helped Sunny for at least one thing? That didn't seem to be the case either. Because she still owed Sunny a lot of debts, and doing one thing didn't satisfy her.

She then took her bag from under the bed. She opened the zipper and took out an envelope from inside. She opened it and flipped through the letters to find a single piece of printed picture. When she found it, she stared at it for a long time.

"The baby is healthy and developing well"

She recalled the doctor's words as she kept gazing at the figure of the little creature in the printed scan photo. Had it not been because of Sunny, this little creature would probably have disappeared from this world by now.

"Is the father here?"

The doctor's following question passed her mind, and she sighed. She put the photo inside and sealed it with the envelope, and put it back into the bag.

 

"Welcooomeee!" 

A loud voice greeted Taeyeon and Sunny once the door opened. It was Tiffany, Jessica's wife. It was the first time Taeyeon met her. She looked really nice and cute, with this eyesmile on her face. 

Sunny hugged the woman as they stepped inside the house. Unlike Sunny's house, Tiffany and Jessica's was bigger and merrier. Taeyeon looked around and found out that they were not the only guests there. There were like ten more people in the room, and obviously they were all strangers to her. 

"Have you had your dinner already?" Tiffany asked.

"Yes, we had it before we came here"

"Aaw, such a waste! I already prepared a lot of food today!" Tiffany pouted. "Try my cakes and sweets at least, will you?"

Sunny nodded. "Sure"

Tiffany happily ran into the other part of the house to serve the guests. Meanwhile Jessica was slowly approaching them.

"Hi sweety" Jessica poked Sunny's shoulder. They both kissed each other by cheeks. "Sorry that my wife would probably force you to finish all the cakes she prepared for today" Jessica laughed.

"It's okay. We can take it home if there are plenty" Sunny giggled along.

"Anyway..." Jessica teased Sunny by bumping their shoulders together. "You haven't introduced me to this pretty woman next to you?"

"Oh, right. Taeyeon-ah, this is Jessica. Sica, this is Taeyeon"

The two shook hands and exchanged a smile. Jessica pleased them to sit on the big, luxurious dining table while Tiffany was coming back with plates of cakes and biscuits and many other stuffs. Sunny introduced Taeyeon to Tiffany as they sat down together.Even though they were still full from the fried rice earlier, Sunny and Taeyeon tried Tiffany's cakes nevertheless.

"So.. How long have you two been dating?" Tiffany grinned as she threw the question to the two guests.

Sunny almost choked out her cake at the question, but she still managed to maintain the food inside and kept calm. Jessica stepped her foot on her wife's foot and glared angrily at her. Taeyeon wanted to ignore the question at first, but she couldn't always let Sunny be the one to talk.

"Actually, I'm just a friend" Taeyeon answered steadily.

Sunny didn't say anything though. Taeyeon's answer was... 100% true but yet 100% wrong, at least according to her. 

"Taeyeon was sort of free tonight so.. since I don't have any companion to visit your house, I invited her"

"Ah, I see then" Tiffany muttered after giving Jessica an apologizing look.

"Taeyeon-ah, do you enjoy the cakes? How does it taste?" Jessica asked this time.

"It's really good. I can't believe they're home-made cakes. I've never tried making something like this before"

"Good then, maybe you can learn from my wife. Fany-ah, show her your cooking techniques and stuffs. I want to show Sunny something first"

Sunny tilted her head, not understanding what Jessica meant. But Jessica was already taking her from her seat, dragging her to the back yard of the house, leaving the other two women on the table

"Yah, she's not your girl?" Jessica asked as soon as they'd walked on the grass of the yard.

"She isn't"

"Then? I know you're not a type who will just bring any random person to a best friend's house, right?"

"Fine, fine, I'll tell you since you're a best friend" 

As they sat down together on the yard's swing, Sunny told everything from the beginning until what had happened so far. She stated Taeyeon's current condition as well since she believed she could trust Jessica.

"So what are you gonna do next?"

"I don't know"

"Okay, wrong question. What's your feeling to her?"

"I don't know"

"Okay, why have you been helping her up to this point?"

"...I don't know"

Jessica sighed. "Jezus, Sunny. You're always the same. You need to know. Make yourself know"

"I don't know Sica. I mean, I like her. Somehow ever since I met her, I like her presence. I don't know if it can be called love already, but I just want to help her"

Jessica stared as Sunny just kept moving the swing. She had known Sunny for years, and Sunny had always been like this when it came to feelings. It was like she experienced emotions, but never wanted to talk about it and establish it. She was that type of person who "just keep on going as long as it seems right" and "follow the heart".

But she knew that if Sunny wanted to stay committed to someone, she could not stay that way. She had to establish her own feelings, and make it firm.

"Say, why don't you try asking her out first?"

Sunny just looked at her as if not understanding the question.

"Forget about her conditions, the fact that she's a stranger and stuff. Spend time with her for a while and see if you just pity her or if you really like her"

"...I'll try"

Jessica hit Sunny's back playfully. "Don't just keep saying 'I'll try'! Say 'I can do it'!"

"Yes, I can do it. I can do it. There, happy?" Sunny laughed. "Thanks a lot, Sica. I think I'll need a lot of your helps for this"

Jessica just gave her a thumb up. They walked together side by side to inside the house once more. 


"What did you talk about with Tiffany?" Sunny said on their way home in the taxi.

"Just cooking cake techniques and stuffs like that. What did you talk about with Jessica?"

"Just... stuff"

"What stuff"

"...Dating stuff"

"You're dating someone?"

Sunny scratched her head. She didn't know how to explain. "Uh, more like.. is going to try to ask someone for a date"

"Oh" Taeyeon nodded. "I wish you good luck then"

"I don't know if that person's going to say yes though"

"Well, you must at least try first"

Sunny then remembered Jessica's words, and somehow Jessica was right. She had always failed in a relationship for not being initiative enough, but she got to change now.

"Hey, tomorrow is Saturday again. I finish work earlier. What about if we go somewhere?"

"But you said you're going to ask someone for a date?"

"Yes, and I'm trying to do it right now"

Taeyeon turned her head and their eyes met. It took quite a while for Taeyeon to realize what Sunny meant. But instead of answering, she threw her glance out to the view outside the window. 

Sunny turned her head to the opposite direction as well. Both not knowing what to say. And the rest of the way back to Sunny's house was as silent as it could be.