8

Don't Go


Taeyeon was wiping the tables when she checked the clock. It had been 3 hours since the cafe opened and she had been working non-stop. It was a public holiday and the cafe was unusually crowded. She hadn't taken a rest and she didn't want to burden her boss by taking time to rest.

It was a few minutes after when her boss called.

"Taeyeon-ssi, there's someone who wants to meet you"

"Ah, okay, thank you" Taeyeon bowed as she tidied up her apron.

Could it be Sunny? Sunny had spent a lot of time with Hyomin and her daughter ever since Hyomin visited that day. Today as well, since it was a holiday, Sunny would probably be taking Hara somewhere along with the mom. 

But how surprisingly, all she saw on the table was Hyomin alone. She was drinking her coffee.

"Good afternoon, Taeyeon-ssi" 

"Good afternoon" Taeyeon bowed, still wondering what might bring Hyomin here.

"I hope I'm not taking your working time. I already talked to your boss though"

"No, it's okay. What's the matter?"

"Just, sit down here for a minute" 

Taeyeon followed the invitation and sat down on the bench. They were face to face now.

Hyomin didn't speak up until she noticed Taeyeon was glancing at her suspiciously.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna talk about anything serious" She said. "May I begin the topic with a question? What is actually your relationship with Sunny?"

Taeyeon flinched. The question was not like an opening talk. It was almost like the main core of the conversation itself.

"I.. don't have any special relationship with Sunny"

"Really? But Sunny thinks of you as someone important now. Do you know that?" 

"She hasn't talked anything to me"

"Hmm" Hyomin put her coffee cup down. "Sunny told me everything about you and about the day she found you and carried you home. And that you're carrying a baby. Is that true?"

"...Yes"

"I really wonder how you lure Sunny to take care of you that much and that long"

"I didn't ask her for anything" Taeyeon's eyebrows furrowed. "I work here so I can earn a living for myself, and I already plan to move to another place soon"

"That's not what I mean. Just answer my question honestly then. Do you have a feeling for Sunny?"

Taeyeon's heart raced. The question hit right onto her deepest heart. She didn't know how to answer.

"Silence means yes" Hyomin answered for her instead. "It's your right though, I'm not gonna ask you to stop loving her or anything like that. But I just want to tell you something.."

Taeyeon took a deep breath while Hyoming stared at her with irritating eyes.

"Ask this to yourself. That day, when Sunny brought you to her house, do you think she would have done it if you're not a beautiful woman? You might have a cute face and she might be falling for you for that. But if you hadn't had that face, would Sunny ever have thought of helping you? Think about that"

Taeyeon bite her lips again. A sign of gesture when she was angry but too overwhelmed that she couldn't say anything. 

"I do hope you reconsider your feeling to Sunny as well as Sunny to you. I'm not trying to break the two of you, I'm just talking about reality here" Hyomin finished the drink and stood up. "Sorry for disturbing your time. I hope you have a nice day"

With that, she left Taeyeon on the table. 

 

Meanwhile, Sunny was actually at her home, having no idea of the conversation between the two women in the cafe. She was on the verge of finishing her game on her phone when Taeyeon crossed her mind again. Taeyeon had always crossed her mind randomly. When she was working, when she was eating, when she was laying down on bed at night.

Then she recalled Jessica's words when the two of them went for a short hang out after work a few days ago. She had told Jessica about Hyomin.

"If you dare to say that to Hyomin, then you must prove it to Taeyeon herself" Jessica commented right after she finished her story.

"But Taeyeon wants to live alone"

"Do you approve?"

"No. I don't approve. But it's more like I am worried if anything happens to her"

"No, it's more like you enjoy having her around you because you said she crossed your mind often. Isn't it true?"

"Yes"

"Then don't let her go"

She had wanted to settle things with Taeyeon, to ask her to stay together, but everytime she tried to bring up the topic she was afraid Taeyeon would reject, or Hyomin would suddenly come with Hara and she was distracted for a while. She sighed just by thinking of it. 

Just when she was thinking about it, the sound of the door opened and she quickly stood up from her sofa, tidying up her clothes. 

Taeyeon walked in and forced a smile to Sunny. "Hello"

"Hey" Sunny threw back a smile. "You look tired today"

"Yeah, the cafe was extremely crowded today"

"Because it's a holiday"

"Yes. I thought you were taking Hyomin and Hara somewhere for a walk"

"Hyomin did ask yesterday but I refused. I just wanted to stay home tonight, waiting for you" Sunny frowned in a cute manner. "To be honest I had wanted to spend the holiday with you. But since you had to work so.."

The words flattered Taeyeon's heart again, but her brain soon rejected as Hyomin's words came back to her mind.

"You should look for a girlfriend or boyfriend then" She put her bag on the sofa and left Sunny.

Feeling ignored, Sunny followed after her to the bedroom. 

"Do you need a massage? You must be so tired today"

Stop being so nice to me. Taeyeon's little heart spoke. I can't take it if you continue that way.

"No, thanks. I must get used to doing things without your help, since I'm moving by myself soon"

Now that the topic was brought up, Sunny prepared her words.

"Ah, Taeyeon-ah, about that.." She stopped.

"Yes?"

The sound of the rain beginning to fall down could be heard from outside the window. 

"You know you don't have to move if you feel like you can't"

"I can. And I have to. You don't have to worry and take care of me anymore. I mean, I am so grateful that you've been helping me along this time. But I still have to live my life"

"Can't I be a part of your life?"

Please, don't ask me to stay. Taeyeon's heart whispered.

"What exactly do you want to say" She pretended to fold her clothes on the bed.

"Taeyeon-ah" Sunny sat in front of her and made the other woman look at her eyes. "I'm saying, can you please not go?"

"Sunny, I understand that you just.. you just pity me. You just feel sorry for me. But really, I am fine. I will be able to live by myself so please don't worry anymore. I.."

"That's not what I'm talking about" Sunny stopped her by holding her two hands. "I want you to stay, not because I am worried. Not because I feel sorry and pity you. I want you here. I enjoy being with you. You cross my mind everday. I am in love with you"

Still trying to ignore, Taeyeon continued folding the clothes. She was not focused, though, the foldings were messy here and there.

"You can find a beautiful girlfriend in the future and ask her to stay with you" She said.

"But I don't want a beautiful girlfriend. I want you"

"I.. I need to take a walk outside"

"Are you crazy? It's raining outside!"

"I don't care. Just leave me alone"

Taeyeon walked, almost ran, to the front door and opened it. She began walking under the rain which started to fall down heavily. Sunny's footsteps were following behind.

"Where are you going? Are you out of your mind? Do you want to get sick?" Sunny caught her by the wrist.

"Stop caring about me" Taeyeon struggled to release herself from the grip.

"How could I? How could you just walk away and ignore my confession like that!?"

"You just helped me that day because you felt sorry for me!" Taeyeon finally blurted it out. "You liked me and decided to bring me home only because of my face. Because you think I am a girlfriend material. If I were just any random woman, would still care about me?"

"What do you mean? Why are you talking like that? I am in love with you because I am in love with you!" Sunny yelled. "How could you think like that? My feeling.. It has nothing to do with your face. With your condition. Even if I had met you not on that road, but on any random street, either yesterday or tomorrow, I would still be thankful that I found someone like you in a million!"

"If you're still forcing me to stay I'm going to go away tonight" 

Taeyeon attempted to run for the second time, but she was stopped by a pair of warm arms lingering around her waist, all the way around her stomach. 

"Why are you thinking this way all of a sudden? How could you think of me that way?"

The overwhelming feelings made Taeyeon froze on her place. Tears started to fall even though the rain quickly washed them away.

"Taeyeon-ah, answer me honestly" Sunny whispered on her ear. "Do you feel the same way like I do?"

This made Taeyeon turn around. She faced Sunny and carressed Sunny's cheek with her thumb. 

"I don't deserve your love" 

"Just answer me, please"

"I.." Taeyeon decided to let her feelings flow. "I do"

 

By one hour after the rain had slightly subsided. The weather was cold, but it felt warm for the two of them on the bed. 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon deeply as the latter helped her dry her hair with a towel. She watched as Taeyeon's head moved lower and lower until their eyes were on the same level. Sunny held her hands before Taeyeon could move again. 

They locked eyes intimately for a good few minutes. For Sunny, it felt like heaven, being able to watch Taeyeon this close as she had always dreamed of. For Taeyeon, it was almost like a dream, finding someone who could love her this passionately in the middle of her undeserving self. She had just fully realized by then, that she had started to fall for Sunny far before she felt jealous. She had started to fall the moment she saw Sunny's smile. The moment Sunny just randomly looked at her in the middle of their dinner and made her mesmerized. The moment their hands accidentally touched each other. The moment Sunny locked eyes with her and made her nervous. The moment she laid down on her bed and smiled just by thinking of Sunny.

None of them actually realized that their lips eventually got closer before finally touched each other. Sunny began moving her lips over Taeyeon and it was not long after when Taeyeon's lips began doing the same. None of them pushed each other. They did it almost naturally, flowing just like that following their hearts.

Taeyeon pulled back first and suddenly avoided Sunny's eyes. It was the first time for them after quite a period of time of living together. The room was just filled with their breaths for a few minutes.

"I was on a vacation with him when he did it to me" Taeyeon started out of the blue.

Sunny understood that it was the best not to say anything first and just let Taeyeon continue.

"We went only the two of us. At that moment, I was almost his fiancee. We were about to hold an engagement party. He was three years younger than me but he looked and acted maturely. When we planned for the vacation I had no idea of what he would do. I.." 

Sunny held her hands tightly as Taeyeon's voice cracked.

"I am not sure either.. of how it happened. I only remember him ordering wine for us to spend the night in the hotel room. By the time he carried me to the bed, I was drunk already.." Taeyeon clutched herself with her arms. "Then when I woke up I just remembered everything.. Remembered myself taking off my own clothes and kissing him like that.. I.."

Sunny pulled her into a hug. 

"I feel dirty, Sunny, I don't deserve your love either" Taeyeon continued in the middle of her tears.

"Ssshh" Sunny her head gently. "You don't need to remember it again. I love you, and that's it" 

She kept Taeyeon firm in her embrace as the night continued. The rain had completely disappeared by the time she realized Taeyeon had fallen asleep in her warm hug.