Happy Times 2

Don't Go

Taeyeon was in her break time when she checked her phone. She trembled a bit as she unlocked the screen, afraid that the first name she saw on it would be that name.

Baekhyun had been trying to reach out to her a few times. That guy tried everything; messages, calls, but never did Taeyeon reply or answer any of them. This time, though, there were two messages appeared.

She took a short, deep breath when she opened the first one.

Taeyeon-ah, this is probably the hundreth time I tried. Please, at least reply me where you're at. Or I will contact the police to track your location.

She bite her lips with her tongue when she read it. Sooner or later, he and her family wound find her. She spinned her brain trying to get a solution. Then, as if it was magic, an idea hit her.

She put her fingers on the phone and began typing.

I'm at Busan. You don't need to call the police because I'm fine.

She pressed the 'send' button and sighed. At least, this hopefully would trick Baekhyun and her family for a while. 

Her phone was showing Sunny's name when it vibrated again. Relieved that it was not from the unwanted, Taeyeon smiled and received the call right away.

"Have you eaten?" It was the first sentence she said.

"I haven't, I'm not at work now. Have you eaten?" 

"Not at work? Where are you right now?"

"I'm at the hospital"

"What? What happened?" Her voice turned panick.

"Don't worry, Taengoo, I'm fine" Sunny replied. Taengoo was the love nickname Sunny gave to her a while after they started to be in a relationship. "I'm not the sick one. Hyomin is"

Hearing that one name of Sunny's ex-girlfriend, Taeyeon's tone changed. "O-oh.. Is.. Is it serious?"

"Looks like so. She has been in the emergency room for a few hours"

"Oh" Taeyeon commented shortly. "And.. you're with her in the room now?"

"I was but now I'm outside" Sunny giggled a bit. "Why? Are you afraid I'm doing something with her?"

"N- No. I was just wondering a bit"

"Don't be jealous"

"What? I.. I'm not!"

Sunny laughed on the phone. "I was kidding. But really, I'm here because Hyomin asked my help. Or, I should say, our help"

"What is it?"

"She asked if I could take care of Hara while she's hospitalized. Taeyeon, Hyomin is.. The doctor told me she is going through something quite serious"

"So she wants Hara to live with you for a while?"

"Yes, live with us, to be exact. I was wondering if you would mind"

"Of course I won't. Hyomin asked you and it's your decision. Why would I mind?"

"But you're my girlfriend"

"But not your wife"

"..."

"Sunny?"

"You're right. You're not my wife" The cheerful tone in Sunny's voice slowly faded. "You're supposed to be somebody else's"

"Yaah, what's with the gloomy voice" Taeyeon whined. "I didn't mean to make you sad"

Pretending to sound fine, Sunny changed her voice again. "It's okay. Anyway, if you don't mind, Hara will stay with us tonight"

"I don't mind. Don't forget to have your lunch"

"You as well, don't get too tired. I love you"

"Love you back"

She put the phone back to her pocket. Thoughts began filling her mind as she walked back to work. She didn't think of living with Hara as a problem at all. Sunny's sad voice was what lowered her mood.

"You're right. You're not my wife. You're supposed to be somebody else's"

The sentence came back to her repeatedly. What did Sunny actually mean by that? Did she say something wrong that had made Sunny think negatively? Or..

Before finishing her thought, a slight kick inside her tummy shocked her. She leaned on the cafe drawer and gently carressed her stomach. Then it hit her. Sunny's words... Could it be Sunny was saddened by the fact that she couldn't be the one to take care of this little one? Even if Sunny wanted to, even if she let Sunny to, would she be able to run from her family forever?


When she reached home, all lights were already. She stepped inside and could clearly hear the giggles coming from the living room. As she opened the door, she tried to smile.

Sunny was laying down on the carpet with Hara, with dolls scattered here and there all over the floor. She stopped laughing once she heard Taeyeon's footstep and sat to look at her direction.

"Welcome home" She then stood up and hugged her girlfriend without hesitation. "Have you eaten? I've cooked some dinner for you"

"Auntie Sunny, who is this?" Hara crawled under them and tugged on Sunny's pajama pants.

"You've met her before, Hara. How could you forget?" Sunny brought Hara to her arms, making her on the same eye level with Taeyeon. 

"Auntie Taeyeon?" Hara tilted her head cutely.

"Yes, nice to meet you again Hara" Taeyeon pinched her cheek.

"Ah, the auntie who's going to have a little baby!" Hara yelled as her eyes sparkled.

Embarassed, Taeyeon couldn't help but to grin. "Who told you that?"

"Mommy told me. But.. it means the baby will have two moms!" 

"Two moms?" Sunny scratched her head.

"Yeah, it means the baby have mommy Taeyeon and then Auntie Sunny could be the mommy too! And I could be the older sister" Hara pointed at her lips with her point fingers. "Wait. But does it mean I have three moms?"

Sunny and Taeyeon shared a quick glance at each other, and then the burst of laughters they couldn't hold anymore came out loudly.

"You sure are smart, Hara-yah" Taeyeon poked her head playfully.

As seconds ticked by, they spent the rest of the night talking and playing on the living room. Hara's presence had unconsciously made the two women forget a while about their own thoughts as well as make them feel the time somehow pass by quickly. Without realizing it, Hara's eyes gradually dropped as she fell asleep on the floor.

Sunny brought her carefully to the bedroom which Taeyeon used to use. After making sure she fell asleep well, she turned off the lamp, closed the door and walked back outside. 

She found Taeyeon was still laying down on the sofa, looking like she had a lot of things in her mind. Sunny tiptoed beside her and poked her arm.

"Sleepy already?"

"Quite"

"Do I need to carry you to our bedroom?"

It made Taeyeon chuckle. "I'm not Hara"

"But I'm still strong enough to carry two more persons" Sunny said proudly. "And speaking of the other person, I should take him to the hospital for another check-up right?"

Now that they were speaking about it, Taeyeon turned her head to face Sunny's. She stared it for what it seemed like a long time for them before she used her palms to Sunny's cheeks.

"Sunny-ah" Taeyeon began in a low voice. "Is it okay if you continue like this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Listen. I know we're together now. But.. But what if someday we need to face our family?"

"I still don't get it"

"As much as I don't want to say it, we still need to face reality. When this baby is born, I will have to take care of him. I need to register his birth, I need to register him to school once he grows older, and moreover.."

"And..?"

"He has the right to meet his biological father"

"Right" Sunny gulped. "Whatever I do, I will never be an equal to his father"

"No, that's not what I mean" Taeyeon carressed her cheek once more. "What I'm saying is.. I will have a life as a mother, and I'm not sure that's the same kind of life you want to have. I don't want to drag you to live something you're not supposed to"

"Then what if I say I want to?"

"Sunny.." 

"What if I say I want to be a part of your life? I'm more than willing to take care of you.. and little one and have our own little family. Whatever the consequences are. Unless you choose to go back to the father and live with him.."

"You love me that much?"

"...Yes"

"Why?"

"Is a reason needed? Why do you always ask 'why'? And 'what if'? Why are you so scared of so many things? Why can't I love you? Just because I met you a bit more late than him, doesn't mean I can't love you as much as he does. And I can even love you better"

Taeyeon looked at her deeply as her eyes began watering. Sunny was inhaling and exhaling angry breaths, trying to calm down herself. Then, without doubts, Taeyeon caught her face once more with her smooth hands, bringing Sunny's lips onto hers and kissed it.

"I will never want to be by his side ever again" She whispered after a slightly parting lips. "You're all I ever want"

Not replying, Sunny just smacked their lips together once more. She climbed onto the sofa and on top of the other woman without even bothering to break the kisses. 

 

"Why can't we go somewhere else? I hate hospital. I'm sick of the smell. I've been there with mommy several times" Hara complained over and over again once they were on their way to the hospital.

"Hara-yah, be patient. It won't take long. I will buy you a doll after we finish. I promise" Sunny hugged her waist.

"I don't want a doll. I want to go somewhere else. I'm bored. I'm bored. I'm boooreeed" Hara pouted and made never-ending whines while staring outside the window.

"How long is Hyomin gonna be in hospital? What is she actually suffering?" Taeyeon asked secretly.

"Lung cancer. She needs to be in hospital until her chemotherapy days are done" Sunny answered, almost in whispers. 

"I'm boooorrreeed. I don't want to go to the hospitaaaal" Hara shouted once more.

"Alright, alright. Listen here" Sunny made her sit down on her lap. "We will go to the zoo after we finish. Happy?"

"Really?"

"Yes"

"Are you not lying?"

"No, I promise"

"Yeaaaay!" Hara jolted in happiness and excitement.

Sunny turned to Taeyeon. "I will send you back home so you don't have to join us" 

Taeyeon smiled. "It's okay. I don't mind joining"

"But.."

She shook her head. "It won't be too tiring. Besides, I don't think you can handle her alone. But more important than that.."

"What?" 

Taeyeon intertwined their fingers. "I want to learn to build a family with you"