1

Don't Go

It was pouring that day. Everyone was hiding in their own house. The streets were silent, making the rain the only sound heard in the middle of the night. Occassionally there would be one or two vehicles passing by, but most of the time, no one was there. It was almost midnight.

A woman in her 20s was walking through those empty streets. She was bringing a bag with her and that seemed to be her only belongings. She walked with no destinations. She didn't even know where to sleep tonight, or whether she would be still alive the next day. All she knew was letting her tears drop and no one would notice since it was raining. She was soaked from head to toe, starting from her black straight hair, to her slim-figured body, and to her thin legs.

Regrets came late, and she just found the statement true. If only she had listened to her family, if only she had listened to her friends. If only she had decided to stay home that night and hadn't gone to that place, with that boy. Right now she would have been still at home, enjoying her time with her family, with no shame, no regrets. But now there was nothing she could change. The shame would follow her wherever she went from now on.

The woman got to the point where she felt she couldn't walk anymore. She finally sat down under an unused food stall in the middle of the street. She clutched herself with her arms and sobbed. She looked at her feet and found that it had swollen. She might as well die here, she thought. She continued sobbing as her mind flashed back to the day it happened.

"Taeyeon-ah, listen to appa. That boy isn't a good one for you. He's four years younger than you!" Her dad said when she was packing her clothes, ready for a vacation with her boyfriend.

"Appa, age doesn't matter nowadays" Taeyeon flashed a quick smile to her father. "Besides, Baekhyun isn't a boy anymore. He's growing up. He is much more mature than appa thinks" 

Her dad let out a sigh and rubbed his daughter's hand. "Parents usually have the best instinct. Can appa just ask you something?"

"Sure, appa. What is it?"

"No matter how much you love him, please consider appa's words. In the end, after you reconsider, and you're still happy with him, then appa will approve"

Taeyeon nodded slowly. "Ne appa. I will think about it. Don't worry, I'm 26 this year"

Her father smiled once more. "Age doesn't matter. You'll forever be appa's little daughter"

Taeyeon replied her father's smile with a hug. Her dad her hair gently as the daughter burried her head in his chest. Taeyeon loved her father the most. He had always trusted her since she was a child. And Taeyeon had never broken that trust even once.

Not until that vacation day.

Taeyeon's head and heart yearned in pain as her mind flashed the images of the day it happened. As much as she didn't want to fully remember it, the memories came in partial images, like a broken movie. Only a few scenes popped out in her mind. The moment they arrived in the hotel room, the romantic moments they shared in the swimming pool, the dinner, and the night. 

Her brain shut as the memory came to that night. She collapsed on the ground there, under the heavy rain that would likely to continue until the next morning. She did not mind if she would die right there. Probably that was the only way her dad could forgive her. By dying. By not existing anymore.


She thought she was in heaven (or hell) when she opened her eyes once more the next time. However, much to her disappointment, she knew she was still alive when the light that was blinding her came from a room's lamp, not a heavenly angel's light. She shut her eyes once more as her head was still throbbing. She moved her fingers and could feel the smooth silky surface of a bed cover. By then she knew, she was probably in a hospital.

She almost fell into a deep sleep once more when suddenly the sound of the door opening woke her mind up once more. Then, she heard someone stepping beside her and putting something. Even though she was weak she swore there was suddenly a delicious smell of warm soup filling the room. She didn't remember when was the last time she ate, and she grew hungry.

She forced her eyes to open and flickered to the figure sitting to her right side. A woman, she saw. A woman around her age, she could tell. The woman was staring back at her, and it continued that way until that woman was sure that she was fully awake now.

"Hello" She greeted. Her voice was smooth and gentle. "Are you feeling okay already?"

Taeyeon didn't know what to reply. Judging from the woman's clothing, this was not a hospital. And that she could look around the room now, it was indeed not a hospital. It was a bedroom. 

"Hey, are you strong enough to speak?"

Taeyeon nodded first before she answered. 

"Yes, where am I right now?"

"My house" The woman replied. "I found you on my way home from work yesterday. You were bringing clothes with you so I thought you must be heading somewhere and collapsed in the middle of the way. Sorry but I haven't known your name?"

"...Taeyeon"

"I'm Sunny. That's not my real name but.. anyway, Sunny sounds good right?" 

"Thank you, Sunny-ssi"

"Eyy, just call me Sunny" She giggled. "By the way I've prepared a warm soup for you. You can eat it if you feel better already. I have to take a bath first. Just shout if you need anything"

"Thank you" Taeyeon murmured.

When the other woman went out and closed the door. Taeyeon breathed out. She was lucky she had been found by a nice person. Wait, should she call it lucky in the first place? Shouldn't she have been dead by now?

Nevertheless, Taeyeon got up and tried to sit down on the bed. She looked at the warm soup deeply before grabbing it. She didn't know what to do. If she ate, of course she would regain her energy and be healthy again. But then, after she came back to health, after she could regain her power, what would she do after that? She didn't have any place to go to. She didn't have any life to continue. Eating didn't mean anything anymore. 

She put back the bowl on the table and decided to just lay back on the bed and closed her eyes, hoping she could die anytime now. Minutes passed, and her mind was still like a messy string tangled up together. A while later the door opened again. 

"What? You haven't eaten the soup yet? I thought you would be very hungry by now" The Sunny woman came back.

Sunny sat beside the bed again and only then she noticed there were tears on Taeyeon's cheeks. 

"Err, if you are really that weak, maybe I can help you with the eating. You just need to sit up and I'll feed you" Sunny continued hesitantly.

"Let me die" Taeyeon whispered.

"What?" Sunny heard it, it's just she couldn't believe what she heard.

"Don't feed me. Don't let me eat. I should die"

Sunny took a moment to digest Taeyeon's words and situation. 

"Hey, listen here. I don't know what trouble you're having but I've prepared this warm soup for you and I had to wake up earlier because of it. Besides, I don't want anyone to die in my house. I'll be accused by the police and I don't want that because I have nothing to do with you. You aren't my family"

Taeyeon had her eyes opened and glared at Sunny. "Then you shouldn't have helped me at all. I have no one and nothing right now. Not even my family. That's why you should have just let me die on that street!"

Sunny was taken aback by the words. Have no family? What kind of big problem she made that a family could dump a beautiful woman like her? Yes, in Sunny's eyes, she was beautiful. The moment she saw her face on that street, she knew she had to take Taeyeon home. Her small face, her tiny smooth fingers which were wrinkled due to the rain. She couldn't leave such a woman just like that on the street. And she couldn't just let her die now. Not now.

"Sorry" Sunny cleared . "But really, you should put some thoughts for my soup. I made it because I hope you will not die once you eat it. If you don't want to, I'll throw the soup away then"

Sunny was about to take the bowl when Taeyeon's fingers held her hands. 

"I'm sorry" Taeyeon had her head down. "I didn't mean to be so harsh. I should be thankful that you helped me. I just.. hate myself. Really really hate myself. I'm really sorry"

Sunny her shoulders. "I don't know what kind of problem you're facing now but.. You shouldn't die. No one deserves to die that way. Now, just eat, won't you?"

Taeyeon took a while before finally nodding. She sat up once more on the bed and took the bowl from Sunny when she offered it.

"You can eat by yourself?"

"...I think so" Taeyeon said slowly while stirring the soup with the spoon. 

But when she was about to put the first spoonful of soup into , her stomach jolted up and rejected the smell. Taeyeon quickly covered to hold herself back from throwing up. 

"Hey!" Sunny quickly took back the bowl into her own hand. "Are you okay? You sure you can eat by yourself?"

Taeyeon calmed herself for a while before making sure her stomach didn't mess up again. "Yes, I'm sure. Sorry, it's probably because of the rain"

Sunny waited and made sure the woman was really fine before she passed the bowl again. This time, though, Taeyeon really managed to put the food inside , chewing and swallowing bit by bit. 

She watched as Taeyeon slowly eating the soup she had prepared. She watched that fragile figure once more. And by then she knew, the black eyes of Taeyeon was covered with thousands of feelings she didn't know. But one thing for sure, she knew Taeyeon was in pain right now. And she would not let this woman go by herself before she was fine again.

Not until Taeyeon was back to herself again.