The Announcement

Hating to Love you

Chapter 2 

The Announcement

Mr and Mrs Lee gasped in unison.

“Arranged marriage?! Isn’t there another way to repay you?” Mr. Lee tried to reason. He knew his daughter wasn’t ready to marry now or ever. As a father he’d always wished that his daughter marry the love of her life  . . . not someone whom she doesn’t love.

“I’m afraid not. We are in desperate need for an heir considering the state of our son.” Mrs Oh said simply. Just the mention of the Oh’s son turned the Oh’s expression shady. 

Say no appa! Please! Jaehee pleaded in her head. Mr and Mrs Lee exchanged looks with each other before Mr Lee sighed in defeat.

“Well, if that is what you ask, then yes. I’ll be willing to marry off our daughter into your family. We’ll meet with our children one night in the next few weeks and discuss this arrangement.”  

Mrs Lee tugged on her husband’s arm in shock. “Yeobo!” 

Mr Lee simply patted her arm and told her that everything was going to be okay. Okay?! Everything is going to be okay?! Appa, how could you? Jaehee stumbled away from the door, not bearing to stand and listen in on the discussion.  

She crouched over, resting her hands on her knees after she ran out the restaurant door. She panted heavily trying to catch her breath. She couldn’t get over that she was soon to be in an arranged marriage. She let out a yell to release her frustration.

“Marriage?! Marriage?!” She yelled in outrage as she stormed down the street.

“I don’t even like boys! What makes them think I’m fit for marriage?!” She squawked, coming across a couple viewing a wedding dress outside a wedding boutique.    

“Oh, it’s the little punk.” Chanyeol nudged Luhan. In the distance he spotted Jaehee yelling like a mad man. He snickered.  Let’s have some fun.

EXO sneaked behind Jaehee and with Luhan’s hand covering , they dragged her into an alleyway.

She began to panic, getting flashbacks of what happened in that exact alleyway. Her heart bet in fear and dramatic tears welled in her eyes.  Without another thought she bit the hand covering .

Luhan’s laugh was replaced with a yelp as pain seared through his hand.  

“Did he just bite me?” Luhan questioned in outrage. Hearing the horribly familiar voice, Jaehee opened her eyes surprised to see the boys before her. She began to resent Luhan even more. I hate you Luhan, it wasn’t even funny. Curse you.

Kai gripped onto her collar, making her choke. “You, are you even human?” He barked. 

“I-I” Jaehee stammered. Her mind was all over the place, remembering the traumatic experience that happened in the very same spot she was standing in.

“L-Let me g-g-go.” Jaehee stuttered frightened. Luhan thought Jaehee was being a scared little wimp and began to slap her around, being oblivious to the fact that she was girl. 

At that stage, Jaehee was emotionally and physically weak so she was left to endure the bullying.  

When she returned home, she convinced her parents that she misplaced her footing and rolled down a great big hill, landing in the bushes and mulch.  

Skipping dinner, she cried herself to sleep. I hope you die soon Luhan. I hate you.

***

 “Luhan where have you been?!” Mrs. Oh asked as her son returned home slamming the door behind him.

“None of your business.” He growled. He threw his backpack on the white couch and started to walk up the stairs.

“Oh Luhan, that is no way to speak to your mother! Come. Here. Right. Now!” Mr Oh yelled furiously. Luhan groaned and turned his body to face his parents below. 

“What!?” He answered back. Mr Oh tightened his fists in fury. He raised an accusing finger towards his son.  

“Don’t ‘what’ me! Where were you? It’s past midnight.” Mr Lee scolded. Luhan rolled his eyes. Couldn’t his parents just lay off him?  Gosh, they’re so annoying.

“I was out. Drinking, doing drugs … all the bad stuff.” He replied sarcastically.  Before his parents could reply he started walking up the stairs again.

“That is not something to lie about! Change your attitude, and take off those damn piercings before I rip them off, you long haired lout!” Mr Oh ordered. Luhan scoffed. The last thing he wanted when he returned home was his parents yelling at and nagging him.

“ off!” Luhan yelled in rage, slamming his door.  Who gives them the right to tell me what to do? It’s my life! He turned up the volume on his iPod and let the music block out anything from the outside world.

Mr Oh’s blood boiled and he was ready to give his son a good beating.

“Yeobo no!” Mrs Oh restrained her husband for his and Luhan’s sake. Mr Oh breathed heavily before calming himself down. He clutched his head in anger.

“I can’t do it! I just can’t do it anymore! I can’t cope with him! Where did we go wrong?” He asked his wife. They never raised Luhan to be that way; he was always such a sweet, smart and beautiful little boy.

“Well you know after he saw his brother die, he hasn’t been the same. This is just a phase that he is going through. Yeobo, I think this arranged marriage will help him become a better person.” She tried to reason.  

A knock was heard at the door. The couple questioned who could possibly be knocking on their door after midnight. The Police.

 “Greetings Mr and Mrs Oh. Your son enjoyed a ride home from the police station. He was caught vandalizing personal property.” The police officer informed. Luhan’s parents sighed in disappointment. This wasn’t the first time Luhan had a run in with the police.

“Thank you for informing us. Please, don’t let the media here about this.” Mr Oh pleaded.

Morning came and both Luhan and Jaehee woke up to an empty house. It was like this every morning for them because their parents would always leave early for work.  Even the maids hadn’t arrived yet.

At school Luhan focused on tormenting Jaehee all day. He let out his negative emotions on her, as if she was a punching bag and a stress ball. Everyday Jaehee would withstand his torment because she was too weak to fight back. Her body ached from his torture and she’d always lie to her parents, giving them pathetic and lame reasons why she was in the state she was in. She also had to lie just so she could skip school and stay in bed all day, just to avoid the devil’s offspring.

Boy do I hate Luhan’s guts. Luhan is another reason why I despise boys. All they do is use those fists to solve all of their problems.

One night, Jaehee’s parents requested that she sit down in the lounge room so they could speak to her.

She guessed it was about the arranged marriage, and she was right.

“Generations ago the Lee’s lived in the slums, they were suffering from poverty, and because of this they hated the Royal family. Why was it fair that they had enough wealth to feed the whole nation when the Lees had to live with starving children? It just didn’t make sense. One night the King was out for a stroll and he was taken away to be assassinated. He was locked in a cage for three weeks in a store room full of rotten food and stale bread. The Lees went out one night to steal food, as they normally did, and came upon the store room. Seeing the rotten food and stale bread was like looking at gold. They had finally found something to eat.”

“Yes, and then they heard the King’s desperate cries and managed to free him. However, the woman of the Lee family was stabbed. The King was grateful towards the Lees for rescuing him and was also ashamed that someone lost their wife, and the children lost their mother. Returning home he gave the Lees everything they desired, feeling in dept to them. However the Lees then felt in dept to the King for giving them a better life. Since then a will was created stating that the Oh and the Lees would be forever in dept to each other. If the Lees were in trouble then the Ohs would help them out, and in return the Lees would do the same thing.” Her parents explained seriously. Is that all? That’s the reason why the will was created? It’s kind of stupid no offence. Jaehee thought.

“So, Jaehee, our family restaurant that has been around for hundreds of years, is in a bit of a crisis at the moment. The food in our restaurant was poisoned and damaged. You know that for years we’ve produced and grew our own ingredients. So, staying true to the will, the Oh’s are willing to supply our food. I’m sure you know of their high status so we are very privileged. The thing is Jaehee, in return, you are to be married into their family.” He revealed. 

So it’s true. Thank the heavens that Jaehee already reacted and released her emotions before. She just looked down and played with her fingers.

“I understand.” She murmured. Her parents were impressed on how maturely she handled the situation.   

“Good girl. Sorry to drag you into-”

“Mm, I understand, really.” She interrupted. Mr and Mrs Lee smiled in relief.

“Then let’s go. We have a meeting with the Oh’s.

***

“Where are we going?” Luhan asked rudely. He had plenty of other things to do, than to sit in a car with his parents.

“Out, and I expect you to be on your best behavior.” His mother replied. Best behavior my . He scoffed.   

Arriving at the destination, Luhan mentally groaned at the thought of having a family dinner.

“What are we here for?” He asked impatiently. It had already been ten minutes and there were no menus provided and his parents hadn’t said a word.

“Listen Luhan, and I mean listen well.” His father started. Luhan sighed bored, and slouched in his seat.

“As part of our tradition being decedents from the Royal family, we need an heir to take over our companies and businesses. Traditionally it is the oldest son.” Mr Lee paused for a second, tears threatening to fall down his cheeks.

Luhan looked away and tightened his jaw at the memories of his older brother.

“So what? Is this a talk about me becoming the new CEO?” He questioned brutally. 

“No, Luhan, not you. You are not eligible for being the heir to the country’s top bank and food companies. You’re part of a gang, you’ve familiarized yourself with the police, and you most certainly don’t look the part.” Mr Lee said firmly. Luhan bit his lip a little taken back from what his father said.

“Well sorry to disappoint you.” He mocked, taking his leave to the bathroom. Before his parents could react to his rude remark, the Lee family had arrived so they waved them over.

Jaehee was still in her school uniform but her parents informed her to take off her cap. Her beautiful hair hung all the way to her waist. She smiled kindly at her soon to be parents in laws. 

“Mr and Mrs Lee, Jaehee, so kind of you to join us.” The Ohs greeted. 

“Oh no, it’s our pleasure. Where’s your son?” Mr Lee questioned.

“He’s in the bathroom. Please, take a seat.” Mrs Oh gestured, waving to the waiter with prepared dishes. Prior to the meeting, Mr and Mrs Oh warned Jaehee’s parents about Luhan.  

The Oh’s had a splendid chat with their soon to be daughter-in-law. She was such a sweet girl and they felt guilty forcing her to marry their troubled son.  In the midst of conversation Jaehee’s food went down sideways and she began to choke. Her mother patted her back and poured a glass of water for her.

Luhan had returned and groaned inwardly at sight of the Lees. Are they going to take over the company? What does this have to do with me? Luhan greeted Mr and Mrs Lee and sat down in his seat.

Sipping down water, Jaehee looked at the boy who had taken a seat in front of her. Their eyes widened recognizing each other.

“You!” Luhan yelled in outrage. Jaehee spat out her water, her food that was half way down , was now displayed on Luhan’s face.  

He squeezed his eyes shut in disgust, feeling something cold and slimy slide down his cheek. Jaehee leaned across the table and panicked as she wiped the food and water off his face.

He became agitated and pushed her off. “Don’t touch me!” He yelled. His father pinched his son’s leg under the table.  

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Jaehee apologized about to cry. No! No! This cannot be that I am to be married to him! Who knew he was of high status?!

The adults just laughed it off and told their children to calm down. Luhan was appalled by the fact that Jaehee was actually a girl. Oh crap, figures why – No Luhan, don’t regret beating the punk up.

“I see you two know each other from school? Luhan, meet your soon-to-be wife, Lee Jaehee.”  

No! So it’s true. Jaehee turned to her parents and shook her head. “I’m sorry Appa, I can’t. I just can’t and won’t get married to someone like him.” She whispered sobbing. Her parent’s hearts melted but there was nothing that they could do.

“Sorry Jaehee.” They apologized. How can they expect me to marry someone who physically hurts me?!

“I object to this marriage!” He objected standing up.  

“No you don’t. Sit down! You don’t have a say.” His mother said firmly, pulling him down. 

Welcome to hell Lee Jaehee. You just wait.  

Minutes past slowly and the two had lost their appetite. 

“Excuse me Mr and Mrs Oh. May I ask for the reason for this marriage?” Jaehee asked, pulling herself together.  

“Good question. Sorry it almost slipped my mind. Since our son has shamed us, we are in desperate need for an heir of the Oh blood. What I’m trying to say is-”

Luhan slammed his fists on the table.

“No! No, no, no, no! There is no way in hell that I’m gonna knock her up!” He protested. He thought he was going to go crazy.  Jaehee kept her head down shaking as she wept, hating her reality.

“Luhan! Watch that mouth!” His father roared. He apologized on behalf of his son.

“I sincerely apologize. Our son does not deserve your daughter. The  wedding date has been confirmed. There was a cancellation, so I’m pleased to say that it is in two days’ time. ”Mr Lee announced.

“Oh that is marvelous!” Mrs Lee clapped her hands in joy.   

The two teenagers felt the world spin around them. They glared at each other and Luhan kicked Jaehee’s shin from under the table.

I hope you rot in hell. Looking at you is like venom. Jaehee yelled in her head.

decorative-line-1.png

Okay I admit, bad chapter. But once again it's just setting out the story. The parents won't be in the story as often as they appear to be now! Please give my fic a chance! Thank you for those who have subscribed, it's an honour!