Lesson one- Expect the unexpected

Give Love A Chance

   Author's note   
Hey guys I don't normally put my author's note at the start but I just wanna let you know that I've changed up some things from this chapter if you've already read it. I hope you do like the change cuz there's something in this story that'll make you love Luhan and Jewel even more.  

 

The class turned over to look at me as I just sat there staring back at everyone of them. If I may recall, teens our age or even younger students would utter oohs and aahs but that didn't seem to be so. Mr. Gok gestured that I stand up and start heading to the office and then the phone rang again. 

"Hello?" His voice stern and posture denoted of his manliness, "Luhan as well?" 

I turned my head at his direction, just about stood up from my seat. What does he mean by Luhan as well?
Are we going into the office together? Oh my goodness am I in trouble?! 
My eyes drifted to the cockroach after all those horrible thoughts and he also seemed to ponder on this occassion. I was certain I didn't do anything wrong, but to find out what we need to be there for, we had to go now. 

Standing up from his seat, we walked towards the doors in sync and made our way out. He was acting like a gentleman holding the door open for me and upon reaching the hallway we kept our distance because knowing him, he was going to say something that would probably irritate me. 

"Hey Jewel you're a hero!" My eyes widened from the shock but soon returned to normal after seeing the person come up from behind me. It was a student I didn't even know. Well I've seen him around the hallways but that was all. 

"Oh uhh thanks." I said awkwardly and just continued to walk. 

Luhan kept his head held up high and looked over at the guy who was now walking away. I thought he'd talk badly about the guy or even imitate the way I said thanks but I guess not. This kind and nice Luhan I've never seen before was creeping me out. 

"Oh my gosh Jewel you are so cool!" A girl came up and said, "I can't believe you're able to stand up against those guys. I mean they're freaking popular and no one has ever stood up against them." One other said, "You're my idol." 

More and more students were somehow appearing out of no where that I couldn't maintain the shocked expression on my face. It was morphing into an awkward smile due to the uncomfortableness I was feeling. If that is even a word. 

"Jewel we watched your video online!"
"Uhh" 
"Wow you're so cool"
"Thanks."
"I wish I was as brave as you." 
"Oh really? It was nothing hehe." The awkward laugh is coming.
"No one can stand up against them now!" 
"Well yeah but-" 

"Jewel! Jewel! Jewel! Jewel!" 
The boys volleyball team began chanting my name and louder and louder more people were joining in.
I mean seriously where did all of these people come from? Don't y'all know that class already started about 15 minutes in?! I shut my eyes for a quick second to get myself together from all this recognition I was getting. 

Opening my eyes again I was shocked to find Luhan in front of me blocking the people from talking to me. 
"Please move along now guys, she really appreciates this but we both need to head to the principal's office at this time thanks." 

The powers of the kingka was more powerful than I thought.
Students around us gave a last congrats and started heading off to whatever class they had. Today I was getting to see a lot of this 'weird' Luhan. Could it be that.. he was feeling guilty? I laughed to myself at the idea popping up in my head. He would never feel guilty. 

We both met each others for the second he turned to look back at me, but I guide my head back to the front and make a turn into the school office. It was filled with the staff working to keep this school running. There were papers everywhere and there would be the occasional phone ring every 5 minutes. 

A woman dressed in a floral bodycon stood by the front desk and seeing both me and Luhan, she made her way towards us. "Hi you must me Jewel Nam and Luhan."

"Hi~" We said in sync. 

"First, Mrs. Chae would like to speak to you Miss Nam about a certain offer so please follow me." She grinned at the two of us and lead the way. Just in front of her door were chairs lined up together like the ones in those clinics and there the woman let me in. "You Luhan could take a seat just over here." 

The door behind me closed as I entered Mrs. Chae's office, it had a very home-like feature to the design. 
"Miss Nam! Nice to meet you~" 
She stood by the window with a coffee in her hand and seeing me, she walked over for a quick handshake and lead me over to the L-shaped couch at the corner. 

She sat across from me. Our bodies faced each other with a smile on her face. She began to talk about this offer that the woman was talking about. 

"As you may have heard, the incident that occured during the lunch period was uploaded onto the school blog and I want to personally thank you for standing up against bullying." 

"Ahaha thank you Mrs. Chae." 

"I believe that there should be more students like you and as you may know our famous school festival is coming up in two weeks." 

Aah the school festival. It was basically an entire day off for the school, though the students were the ones serving the lovely people that would come visit and see what our school has to offer in this new semester. There are food stations by the outdoor basketball court with all kinds of food from different countries made by our own culinary students, we had some celebrities who were previous students visit and perform in the theatre, there is a little café inside the school itself, there are photobooths, a small horror house and lastly some segments on what we stand for and the basic school stuff we talk about. 

I was a part of the café for the past two years here and man oh man it was intense stress having to serve a bunch of customers.
I kinda wonder why Mrs. Chae wouold bring up the festival at this time. What was I related to it? 

"I'd like you to be a part of our anti-bullying segment Miss Jewel." 

Well that answers the question. It was as if I could hear a balloon running out of helium whilst making that loud high pitched noise. 

"Pardon?" 

"You could use this new image you've created for yourself as a way of speaking to those that have been hurt or have hurt someone before. I've been trying to find someone to step up, but after today I really want you to be a nominee."

"What is this new image you're talking about?" I ask hesitantly, "I haven't created an image for myself at all." 

"Oh yes you have! Because of standing up against those boys you are starting to progect a positive example for other students. We would like to use this image to tell other people that Seoul International High School does not accept bullying and that this school is willing to take in anyone."

"There are so many other students out there that are better than I am." I say as I arranged my seating position. Anxiety was building up inside of me.

"But seeing your excellent performance today it came to my mind that you fit the job." Mrs. Chae insisted. 
She placed both her hands over my shaky hands and looked intently into my eyes the way a mother would. Caring and not so forceful. "Please do it for the school Jewel."

Maybe I could just do this to stop her from having to continue searching for another candidate.
I'm no so good at public speeches but if it was for anti-bullying I guess it seems much easier than I would make it out to be.
Look, it does look good on a resume to university. My lips pursed while I made my decision, "I-I- I'll do it."

She was pleased with my choice to act on it that she beamed like the sun. "You won't need to practice what you'll be saying. I heard that you've also defended Chanyeol back in junior high so I'm sure that this will be easy for you. There will be a Q&A portion of this segment and you can just do your best to answer them." 

I simply nodded at her directions. I guess it wasn't so much news to me that people are starting to know that I once saved Chanyeol as well. In the past I used to be passive due to the thought that I had a weak body and with it I wasn't able to do anything. Defending Chanyeol was the first step to the reborn Jewel. 

Making my way up from the couch, I bow a full 90 degrees at Mrs. Chae and make my way out the door until she stopped me.
"Wait just one second Jewel, there's another thing I need you here for." She walked towards my direction and opened the door not for me, but for Luhan waiting outside, "Please come in Luhan." 

My head was exchanging looks between Mrs. Chae and the cockroach. I wasn't sure what was going on but my anxiety from before was reappearing. That sigh entering here was no more than a simple mistake, there was something she needed of me and him. 

"Now I know that you two have had a relationship together and it didn't end so well between the both of you."
Of course Mrs. Chae would know about that too.
"But because Luhan has had excellent past records on his good deeds.."
Oh my goodness what good deeds is she talking about?! Where is she going with this?
"I'd like for you and Luhan over here to work together for the anti-bullying segment." 

"What?!" Both me and the cockroach said in unison, glancing back and forth at each other and then back to the principal herself. We looked at her confusingly. 

"But Mrs. Chae you've never seen what this guy is capable of." I spoke up, almost in a nervous tone knowing that there was probably no way out, "He's evil, demonic even!" I glanced over at Luhan, standing still. "Right?" 

He didn't move an inch and not a single word came out from him. 
Why isn't this guy talking? Does he really want to have me work with him? NO! 
I can't let that happen. 
"Luhan~" I called out his name and all I see were eyes that spoke differently than his blank facial expression. No way this guy was affected by what I said. 

"I'm sorry Jewel but I've already made it final." 

"B-but!" There was no changing it now.

"Please go back to class. You two are dismissed." 

Well besides Biology class did you guys know that I have last period class with him as well. Would you like to guess what class that may be? Yeah well it's Phys-Ed. I'm sorry I haven't told you guys anything about that because recently haven't been joining since I despised the Track & Field portion. Luhan transferred recently after not needing a certain course and decided to take gym instead. 

The new sport we were learning today was the waltz according to the girls in the locker room. So to speak that waltz is not a sport but I guess it's better than last year's dance which was the salsa. 
A lot of touchie touchie. 

We were all scattered around the gym, some were standing and talking against the wall, others were already stretching, while I was on the benches along the sides and Luhan was there with me. Of course we were on opposite ends because hey, we're strangers. 
A quick glance at him and I was in utter shock that he was looking over in my direction with the same eyes he had in the office.

Immediately I revert back to fidgetting with my hands.
Suddenly remembering that he helped me answer Mr. Gok's question earlier, it wasn't right that I didn't bother saying thanks. 
Even being strangers, it didn't mean that I had to be a rude one. 

"Uhh Luhan.." I called out his name quietly, his brows raise as he was already looking at me. "Thank you by the way for helping me answer that question in class. You were-" I paused, hesitating to say it, "Pretty smart that time. Good job" 
I dare say it. Why did I do this to myself. 

The strain on my throat whilst saying that was released and turning my head towards the gym doors I see Mr. Yang enter. 
"Good afternoon class! As you may know I don't waste my time lolly gagging around so let's begin with social-" He raised an arm in the air, "Dancing" and placed the other hand around an invicible waist. 

For the dean of gym he was a very corny man. 
The first thing he assigned to us was to line up on two seperate lines: male and female. 
Then turn to face our would-be partners. For some reason, I had to face Luhan. I mean of all people come on universe! 

"Now that you are facing your partners, boy please raise your left hand."

Ever so rarely it was quite a sight to see Luhan feel awkward. His breathing was loud and heavy, he'd stare blankly at me as if not even hearing what Mr. Yang said. Almost as if he's never had an interaction with a girl before. 
I mean he obviously has but it was as if he hasn't. 

"Luhan." He turned at the teacher's call, "Please raise your left hand."
Slowly he did and there I was switching my glances from him to his hand. "Now girls, hold your partner's hand."

Those last four letter words danced around my ear and in that moment I was just like Luhan. 
Though I don't know if he felt the exact same my way because there was something different going on inside me... 
My heart was beating. Not normally though but.. it was beating more than normal.

My breathing was fast but quiet and looking at our classmates, they were already holding each other's hands. 
It's just dance class Jewel. You still hate him! You even have to work with him in the anti-bullying segment which doesn't even make sense because he is the bully of my life. 

I grab hold of his hand and inhale as much air as possible. 
See.. easy. At least our hold on each other was loose. 

"Boys now place your right hand on their waist and girls place your left hand on their shoulders." 

Again why was my heart beating randomly. I'm just nervous. Just-
He crept his hands carefully on my waist and I felt a tingling sensation run up my spine. 
Immediately I place my hand on his and to our surprise Mr. Yang pushes the two of us closer together. 

"Luhan. Jewel. I know we need to make room for Jesus but this is only the waltz. Loosen up you two." 

YEAH JEWEL LOOSEN UP!! For goodess sakes I'm only nervous okay guys! Nothing more.
I kept my eyes low to the ground for a while yet I was sure my grades would be deducted if I continued doing so. I bit the bottome of my lips and looked up to see that he was only inches away from me. 

"Now the first move is the right foot first and... Go. One two three, one two three."

We followed his count to the left then the right then the left again. For a while we were going this and just a little bit I'd say that I was getting used to it. My heart wasn't palpitating as hard and it didn't matter if he was my partner. 
I was being logical and realistic. 

"Okay good now girls let go of your hold on the shoulder and replace it with his right hand. PS your one hand is out and the boys will pull you in. We're doing a twirl." 

Oh this one's easy. After the twirl I should have my back in front of him. 
And leeeet's go- "Aaayyy!" 

My body spun a little too quickly and from one turn I could see that Luhan was not in my range of sight. There was no game againt gravity whatsoever and the fall was soon to be my bestfriend. My hit the ground first and before my back could, I felt a hand placed firmly on my back. 

My head was not injured people. I repeat my head was not injured! 
But my eyes couldn't seperate from Luhan's stare. 
"Are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't mean to not catch you. But luckily I did before you hit your head." 

"Luhan you weren't supposed to pull her so strongly." 

"I know, I didn't mean to at all." 

 

 

   Author's note   
Hey guys! So I will delete that author's note out at the top later on but what do you guys think? Her heart is beating just out of nervousness or does she really like Luhan but it's only starting to bud now? Kekeke I hope you guys are at the edge of your seats for this! There's nothing much to say except please do comment cuz I get quite sad if I don't see much.. Omg I sound so freaking greedy. GIVE ME ALL THE COMMENTS!! Ahaha just kidding I'm not really like that but anyways subscribe, upvote and comment :)