Two birds with one stone

Give Love A Chance

'When one door closes, another one opens.'
Who knew that such a saying could apply to life so well.
The doors of my inner torture have closed and now the gates of hell will be unleashed upon me when my mother finds out I'm not passing in school. Sure a 75% is considered a pass and it's generally good in some people's eyes but my mother's? No, she's going to soak you in the lake of fire, coat you with spikes, fry you in oil, and serve you to the deity of the underworld.

"My mom is gonna kill me." I cry out loud, dropping my head onto my textbooks as I accept the fate of my reality.

Taking a sip of his earl gray latté, Chanyeol gently caressed the top of my head. "There, there."

Is that really how you plan on comforting me in my misery? Is that really all you can say to comfort me?
Have you no sympathy? Glaring at him, I tried to give him what I hoped would come off as a 'kill yourself' face but he had only caressed me more as if to tell me that there was no chance of that happening.

"You know, why should I bother wasting my energy on this when I don't even know what it is I don't know!" I sniffed, looking up at the books stacked up in front of me.

"I guess I'll take some time out to prepare a eulogy."

It was as if my books were mocking me, torturing me with every page and concept my mind couldn't grasp.
The last time my brain recalls experiencing the sensation that is 'Passing,' was the year before the cockroach, I mean, Luhan entered my life. But after meeting him and having fueled my rage for a full year, it was as if my brain cells were dying without my noticing it.

Luhan undoubtedly owes me for failing, but how could he when that guy wasn't as bright as Chanyeol.
The only reason I'm really getting help from Channie is that getting a tutor would just cost more, and I didn't really have any other friend in school so the happy virus it was. Which is completely ironic considering how angry he gets when I don't get what he teaches me.

Looking around at the school lounge, a majority of the students have given up just as I have and did whatever they pleased at this point. A group of boys took out their instruments and started playing covers of Kpop songs and groups of girls were talking about the latest gossip as they painted their nails and applied makeup that covered their natural beauty.

Speaking of beauty, specifically the fake kind, Da Hye makes her way toward me.
"Well well look what we have here," she says in her annoying high pitched voice. "Jewel. I see you're struggling to keep up your position in the top 100, but it's still not enough."

"Did you mean being in the world's top 100 most beautiful women? Believe me, I don't need to try hard when I'm clearly all natural." I snap back, watching her lips twitch in anger. No. I don't think I should say more, but... "I'd say it's definitely not enough to beat you in the top 100 best plastic surgery transformations don't you think?"

"Ooohhhh."

Judging from that loud reaction, I could tell that she was clearly holding back the wicked witch of the west within her. Confronting me was always a battlefield for Da Hye and I really don't know why she continues to try. Sure she comes up with better pranks but it's only because I don't fight back. Only confronting her like now, I can bite back with my quick witted retorts.

"You know I really missed your wittiness over the weekend."

That's all she could come up with?
Ugh. Guys, isn't that cute?

"Aw really? You know you could drop by anytime Da Hye. I am always available from 8:30 am to 4 pm and I would gladly give you a daily dose of Jewel wits if you need any."

Clap. Clap. Clap.
I need to give myself a pat on the back because that was totally epic.

"Anyways, I came here to really challenge you."

"What do you mean by that?"

Slipping into the seat in front of me, she flicks her hair away from her face and crosses her legs before leaning on the table with fingers interlocking. A smirk was plastered on her face. "Seeing that we are both not on the top 50, I will challenge you to the top for a spot in the school's study hall."

The school's high and might study hall was only acquired by the top 50, the highest ranked students.
Next to me, Chanyeol was a part of the top 5. He had let out a chuckle but I wasn't sure if that was for her or for me, seeing that I had already been struggling before she got here.

"Why would you challenge me to that?"

"Well seeing that my high school life has suddenly taken a turn to boring Ville, I thought, why not spice things up with my favorite peasant ya know?"

I scoffed, rolling my eyes as I turn to see Luhan entering the student lounge.
He was watching us argue, hesitant as to whether or not he should intervene. But he seemed to know better and continued to watch.

"In that case," I lean forward. "What's in it for you?"

"You always think there's something in it for me don't you?" she raised a brow. "To be honest it's as simple as pride and dignity. I want to prove to everyone that I'm a lot better than you are."

"So you're challenging me for a spot in the most prestigious study hall in all of Seoul?"

I turned my attention to Luhan, who was casually walking towards us with hands in his pocket. After looking at him, I figured that Da Hye would launch up from her chair and greet him with her aegyo act.

"Luhan," she murmured quietly as she blushed, not averting her eyes from him for even a second. "I guess I'll see you in the study hall this month."

Staring back at her, my brows drew together in confusion.
What did she mean she would be seeing him in the study hall? He's not all that smart... Right?

Giving me a quick nod, Da Hye tucked her hair behind her ears. "Good luck Jewel, you're going to need it."
And with that, she walked away before I could even say anything back.

The students too, scattered and went along their merry way after my little confrontation with Miss Plastic.
I was quickly learning that every time she wanted to talk to me, everyone would simply stare. As if I was going to entertain everyone.
Speaking of entertaining...

"Hey Luhan," I called out. "Do you mind enlightening me with what she had meant by seeing you in the study hall?"

Looking over at Chanyeol, then back at me I was starting to get an unsettling feeling in my stomach.
Chanyeol had known something that I didn't. I am certain that the news Luhan was about to deliver would blow my mind off the roof.
"I'm at the top spot for the school's ranking system."

What.
WHAT?!

My eyes widened and my jaws hung open. I tried to recalibrate every memory I had of him and clearly, I hadn't paid much attention.

"Since when?"

"Since I transferred here last year."

Turning over at Chanyeol, he had placed a hand over his mouth to hold in his laughter.
He could no longer look at me with a serious face. "Didn't I tell you there was more to my man than what meets the eye?"

"Hmmm let me think... No."

Luhan sat down at the seat beside me, scanning the stacked books I had on the table.

On the other hand, I was studying his face, my head leaned to the side as I tried to get a read on him. Typically I prided myself in my ability to read people well, I was usually right about my intuition- this time, I had been wrong. As much as I hate to admit it, it all made sense. The teachers were always being nice to him, students were asking him help, and how he immediately knew the answers that day Mr. Gok asked me about the process of mitosis.

I was slightly annoyed at the fact that the ex-antagonist of my life was a hidden genius. Well, hidden to me that is.
How could I have been so blind? How could I have been so dumb?
If only I had known I would've definitely cheated off of him during our Biology exams.

"Hey Nam Jewel," Luhan called out, shaking me out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"You really need to learn to stop staring at me in admiration like that."

I huffed, brushing off the hidden genius idea.
This guy's ego was clearly still too high.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." I laugh in a monotone manner and inch my face closer to his, resting my chin on my palm as I bat my eyes. "Don't you mean this, is how girls stare at you in admiration?"

Mirroring my actions he too inches closer, our noses slightly brushing. If at this point you're wondering whether I look like I had seen Medusa and had been turned into a statue mid-breath- you are right.

"Don't you admire my charm?"

Stay strong Jewel. Stay strong.
We are Sparta!

What could I possibly say to him to get out of this situation? Don't panic.
Use your head... Use your head.

Wiping that smirk across his face, I bump my head into his and watch as he groans in pain. "Hey what was that for?"

"To shove you away from my face," I say, placing both hands on my cheeks. "Your bad breath is gonna clog up my pores and give me pimples. Or worse, cause air pollution."

"Wow, you know a little shove in the face would've been better than headbutting me," he says while massaging the pain away. "We could have gotten a concussion and who knows! You wouldn't be able to beat Da Hye for that position in the top 50 without my help."

Um, excuse me?
Does he really think I can't study and beat her on my own?
For your information, y
ou see if I tried hard enough to concentrate, I could probably ace everything with no sweat.
"Is that a challenge I hear?"

"Speaks to me loud and clear," he said, standing from his chair. "If you really think you can beat her with your own strength then I will commend you for that."

I continue to look at him, the scowl on my face unable to leave.
Hell yeah I can beat her. I am Nam Jewel and no one shall undermine my intelligence.

Turning his back on Chanyeol and me, he begins walking out of the student lounge with a wave of a hand as he shouts, "I'm off!" and just before you think you can get rid of his ego that easily, he turns around. "Jewel, you know where to find me when you need me."

"You know," Chanyeol started, "He can definitely help you a lot better than I can. Perhaps even save you from the deathly clutches that is your mother."

No.
No, I will not go to his house and ask for help.
Nope.
Not happening.
No thanks... Who am I kidding?!

After staying behind in school to study for the examination period I had made no progress whatsoever. I even tried to get my teacher's help but they were all too impatient with me. The exact reason why Chanyeol couldn't help me.

He looked at me with a sympathetic look as my brows furrowed, wondering what the hell he was talking about.
Who knew I'd come to the point where I'd be terribly sorry for being so dumb.
Believe me, I'm really not, but it really depends on the interest I have and school isn't one of them.

Here's the deal:
- S.C.H.O.O.L. = Seven Crappy Hours Of Our Lives
- C.L.A.S.S. = Come Late And Start Sleeping

So I'm not as studious as I appear to be.
Luhan however, appears to be so when I had found the top 50 ranking on my way out of school.
If I was going to beat Da Hye and cheat my way out of death, Luhan was my best bet. Killing two birds with one stone.
As a result, here I am now. Standing outside his front door, ringing the bell.

"Oh, Miss Nam!" I was met with the surprised eyes of Luhan's kind driver. "Good evening, did you need anything from Sir Luhan?"

"Ah yes, I need help from him for something."

Who knew those words would come out of my mouth.

"Alright, please do come in Miss Nam."
He opened the door wide open for me, lowering his head until I entered his master's humble abode. Sorry did I say humble? I meant luxurious 'A' class abode.

The interior of his house looked like the ones you would find in the millionaire houses magazines with a chandelier greeting you in the main entrance. Although I don't plan on staying long, I keep my head low to the ground. One could only dream to live in a house like his.

"Would you like anything miss? Drinks? Perhaps some food?" asks his driver with a warm smile.

Shaking my head, I reply. "It's alright, I'll be fine mister...?"

"Just call me Joe, Miss Na-"

"JOE!"

A loud high pitched yell filled my ears. Flinching as the sound peaked through my eardrums, I turn towards it. It was a woman that looked about the same age as Joe. She had fallen silent.

I stood still as she took a good look at me, her eyes starting from the top of my head then falling down to the tips of my toes. She was reading me the way I tried to read Luhan earlier. Not knowing exactly what was going on in her head, I bow a good 90 degrees and greet her with a smile. "Good evening."

"Wow," she said, almost breathless. "You're even prettier than I imagined."

"Pardon me?"

"Well when I heard that Luhan had a female friend, I started imagining what she would look like and I never imagined her to be so beautiful," I blushed. "Where are my manners? Good evening to you too, I'm Nari. Joe's wife."

"Thank you for the compliment and nice to meet you too."

Seeing both Joe and his wife, the old me would have tried to convince to resign from their jobs and serve someone better than Luhan. But having called a truce and starting a friendship, I push those thoughts aside and think better of how Luhan has been treating them. For looking about 50 years old, it seems as if the two had cared for Luhan not just recently, but ever since he was little.

Taking a step closer, Nari wipes the dirt off her hands onto the apron she had been wearing and asks, "So are you here to see Luhan?"

"Yeah, I need help on a few things," I replied, shaking my book in the air. 

Smiling, she wrapped an arm around mine and immediately led me up the staircase, "Luhan is a very bright young man so I'm sure he can help you out with any of your problems. Come on, I'll take you to Luhan's room dear."

"Honey what are you-"

"Luhan will be right with you," she said to me, cutting her husband short.

Was it just me, or did he know that Luhan was doing some sort of business that should be uninterrupted...
Hey hey hey don't think of that Jewel. Don't let dirty thoughts cloud your mind or your judgment. Joe was probably just trying to stop Nari because Luhan was not told that I have arrived. Yeah, that was probably it.

By the time we have taken the final step to the second level, we took a left turn and there it was. The door to his bedroom.
I was now entering Luhan's territory.

"Sir Luhan your friend is here," she called from the door and there wasn't a single response. "Sir Luhan?" 

Shrugging her shoulder, Nari gently pushed the door open and gestured me to take a seat anywhere in his room. This was it. The moment when I would be getting Luhan's help in my studies has arrived. But... For some strange reason, I was getting a fishy feeling in my stomach knowing that Luhan didn't answer the door or that he was even in his room.

Personally, I knew that I shouldn't be here if neither of those happened but Nari had given me a smile that convinced me it was fine. Taking a seat on the floor, at a spot just beside his bed in a criss-cross apple sauce manner, I set my books on my lap and wait for him patiently. Judging from the number of movies on his shelf, it was safe to assume that he loved movies.

There was that hoop on the back of his door, his poster, his desk, and his bed, things that she had seen from her own room. For a surprisingly large house, his room was quite small.

Can't believe I made it into his lair as a friend and not as an enemy.

Creak.

The door had opened and looking up, I saw Luhan. A Luhan my eyes have never laid eyes upon.
If at this point you were wondering whether I looked like the screaming man from the painting called 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch, your guesses are right again.

"KYAAAAA!!!!" I screamed. Right in front of me, was a topless Luhan. "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY! I'll go home for now."

"Just turn around and don't look!" Luhan yelled.

It was as if I had sinned for seeing a man half . Sure there were plenty of half men on the beach but this was different! This was something I did not see coming! THIS WAS EFFING UNPREDICTABLE!

Launching myself up from the floor, a painful tingling sensation had suddenly surged through my right leg.
"My foot... Numb... Ow!"

Using my core, I try my best to keep myself upright and walk straight out the door, but once you get pins and needles you won't be feeling anything in your feet for a while. Attempting to take a step, I twist my numb foot and expecting myself to topple over, a pair of strong hands suddenly wrapped around me.

Looking up into his chocolate brown eyes, he asks. "Are you okay?"

And of course being the person I am, I scream some more, pushing him away already forgetting my foot was still numb.
Here I was falling backward and because of my terrible fight or flight reflexes, I try to grab hold of something that would try to break my fall. Does a towel around Luhan's neck break my fall? No, instead I dragged him down to the bed with me.

Betrayal.

I felt complete and utter betrayal at my body's response to the current situation at hand. Hovering above me, I could feel Luhan's hot and heavy breath against my skin as he gazed at me in astonishment. My hands loosened the hold on his towel, my cheeks instantly flushed red. Wanting to say something, nothing was coming out of my mouth as I felt the beat of my heart racing at a speed I've never felt before.

Knock. Knock.

"Yo Luhan you there?"

In unison, our eyes widened. "Chanyeol!"

 

 

     Author's note     

Here you have it folks, the longest chapter I have ever written for this story thus far. Please do comment and subscribe, I would like to get to know how my readers are getting a feel of the story and well... I'd like to reply to your comments too! Hahaha anyways, I don't really think I have anything else to say but enjoy ;)