8/?

The Complication

Sehun knows Luhan knows that he's avoiding him. He can see it in the suspicious glances and he knows by the way Luhan is making it extra hard to not be in the same room as him. It's making his life exceedingly difficult, having to wait until Luhan is asleep before going to bed himself, and even then Luhan somehow still ends up all over him, and it's affecting his performance at work. The supervisor of his floor had even asked him privately if there was something going on, because he was acting unproffssionally.

But he just doesn't know what else to do other than avoid him. If he faces him head on, then he'll be forced to really think about all of these pesky feelings that are building up inside him, whereas if he's out of sight, then he's out of mind. That's how it's supposed to work, right? Except that's obviously not what happens in real life, because even when he's on the other side of the city at his desk, all he can think about is Luhan.

It's not right. Why does his life have to be so difficult?

When he comes up to bed one night, only to find Luhan spread out across the entire bed in a star shape, Sehun decides this is the last straw. He can't share a bed with him anymore, it's just not good for his sanity. He can't take it anymore, not the snuggling, not the nuzzling, not the perpetual reminder of Luhan's undoubtedly male human form pressed up against his side all the time.

He sleeps on the couch. He knows he's going to wake up sore, but at least maybe he'll actually get some decent sleep rather than waking up every hour in accordance with Luhan's movements while unconscious. It's cold, in the living room, and the cushions aren't nearly as comfortable for lying on as they are for sitting on, because they're lumpy where butts have been for the several years he's had them. But he has to make do.

Forcing himself to try to not think about Luhan is pointless, so he conjures up a fantasy scenario where they are together and no one cares that Luhan used to be a cat, not even him, and tries to pretend. This dream self of his is a much better person, in Sehun's opinion. He bites his lip, marveling at all of his shortcomings, and feels a distraught burn rising up his throat. He know's he's hurting Luhan right now, but he's just so confused.

This goes on for several nights, and Sehun can tell by Luhan's general attitude that he isn't pleased with his disappearing acts every night. This only succeeds in confusing him more; surely Luhan would prefer having the bed to himself? 

It isn't until a week later that Sehun wakes up with a puddle of drool on his chest, Luhan sleeping in one of the most awkward and uncomfortable positions he's ever seen, kneeling down next to the sofa with his arms and torso draped over Sehun. Scrambling to get him off, he unwittingly wakes him up, and though he doesn't say anything, Luhan has this expression of hurt and betrayal which makes Sehun's heart bleed as he scarpers into the kitchen to eat breakfast, his heart pounding through his shirt when it really shouldn't be.

-

Luhan is fed up of this infantile avoidance behaviour. He fully aware of why he's doing this, and honestly he's disappointed; he'd never thought of Sehun as being the type to hide away from his problems, and seeing him quite literally run away from him is pathetic. But he still loves him, despite his uselessness. Maybe this kind of behaviour is why he can't remember him ever bringing another person home for anything other than too-polite strained business meals.

It's when Sehun's bed starts smelling only of Luhan, with no traces of it's true owner, that he resolves himself to fixing this problem once and for all. Not knowing precisely how to go about doing that, he ponders for the whole day before finalising his idea. He's not proud of it, but it needs to be done: he's going to phone Baekhyun and Taeyeon and hope that they have some ideas that will make Sehun face his newfound feelings.

He waits for just the right moment, being sneaky, which isn't difficult when Sehun seems to find it so terrible simply being in the same room as him, to call them. He sits on the windowsill in the living room, holding the phone in his hand. It's a cordless model, black with smooth, rounded edges and has their home number flashing on the display screen. He's been staring at that for a long time, too scared to press the call button and speak to the people on the other end. Because he knows that they aren't exactly comfortable with him, and his...situation as it were. He has no idea how they'll react to his request.

He swallows, adam's apple bobbing, and leans his head against the glass of the window pane, staring at the overgrown grass outside, but not really seeing it. Instead, memories of Sehun are playing through his mind, of him walking away from him and pretending not to be attracted to him (even though Luhan knows for certain, 100%, that he is). It just doesn't make sense: he's attracted to Sehun, and Sehun is attracted to him, why should they not act on that? 

And not only is Luhan captivated by Sehun's body, so soft and stunning, but he's pretty sure he's in love with him too. Based on the warm feeling that blooms in his chest everytime Sehun so much as smiles at him, which is a rarity these days, and how happy he makes him every time they're in the same room (when he's not making an active effort to not be in the same room, of course) it must be love. There's no other explanation. 

And it hurts so much that Sehun doesn't see that, doesn't accept that. When will he overlook the fact that he used to be a cat? His eyes prickle as tears threaten to overflow, and one trickles gently onto his cheek, only to be wiped away furiously. He can't cry.

He presses the call button, then, hands shaking, lifts the receiver up to his ear. The dial tone rings and Luhan's already regretting this, he should have thought of a different idea, one that might actually work, and -

"Hello? Sehun?" It's Taeyeon on the line, a relief,

"Uh, actually it's Luhan," he corrects her, his deathgrip tightening on his knee,

"Oh, hello Luhan, what can I do for you?" She asks brightly, making Luhan frown. He'd thought although she liked him more than Baekhyun, she still wasn't exactly his number one fan.

"Uhm," he starts, then clears his throat, "I have a question, well, more of a favour to ask of you," 

"What is it?" Taeyeon asks, her muffled voice lilting up at the end of her sentence,

"Ah, well, before I ask it, I need to explain what, uh, happened between us. It's kind of a long story," He changes his position on the windowsill, crossing one leg over the other,

"I see. I'll just go sit down then, give me a moment," Luhan nods, then remembers she can't see him and says, 'ok', "alright, I'm settled, tell me what's up,"

"Ok, so it started when I was in the bath, well it started a bit before that, actually, but it was the most obvious then. I fell out of the bath, don't ask how, Sehun came running in, and he saw me, um, . And before that, the first morning I woke up human, I kind of, kissed him. So since he saw me in the bathroom he's been avoiding me, and like, yesterday, it suddenly got a lot worse. He literally ran away from me, and I don't know what to do anymore," he finishes, a little out of breath.

There's a silence on the other end which has luhan on tenterhooks, sitting up straight in anticipation of her response. If this was the other way around, then he wouldn't know what to say either. He bites his lip, allowing her to think of something to say,

"I'm not sure what you want me to do, Luhan," she sighs. Luhan sits back, muscles relaxing when he hadn't even realised they'd been clenched. That had been a lot harder than he'd anticipated it to be.

"I dunno. Just, do you have any advice? I've tried talking to him about it, but he just keeps avoiding me. He won't be in the same room as me." Taeyeon makes a noise of exasperation,

"He's being stupid again. Ugh, please forgive him, I know he's pathetic, but he's always been this way. He's utterly useless with anything involving feelings,"

"So you think there are feelings involved?" Luhan asks, trying not to let himself get his hopes up, but it's too late,

"Oh, almost certainly. What do you say, tomorrow, me and Baekhyun come down and try to talk some sense into him, hm?"

"That would be very nice of you," he replies gratefully. To be honest, that's more than he'd expected, especially after the catastrophe last time they'd met, "will Baekhyun really be ok with coming, well, here?" he puts emphasis on the last word, hoping it comes across that he means 'near him'.

"Yes, why wouldn't he be? I calmed him down after we left, last time, so he's pretty much ok with you being a cat now. Or ex-cat, I suppose. He said he wants to pet you, actually." She laughs, and Luhan cringes at the thought of someone's hands all over him that aren't Sehun's. At least Baekhyun might be willing to help him out; he's been friends with Sehun the longest as far as he knows, and he's always going on at him about how he should find himself a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Maybe he'll be less forceful if it's Luhan, but it's better than nothing.

"Ok, so what do you even mean by talking sense into him?" 

"I mean the only thing that will work is locking him in the room with you, so me and Baekhyun will probably end up standing in the doorway, or if he ends up being super immature, we'll have to hold him down. It's happened before, you would not believe how annoying he is when he's being stubborn like this. Baekhyun will have so many stories to tell you, from back in high school and stuff."

"Really? I'll have to get him to tell me all about them," he smiles, 

"Yes, you will. Listen, I'm sorry Luhan, but I've got to go now. I'll see you tomorrow, though, ok? Take care until then, and just ignore Sehun, he's just a fourteen year old at heart." 

"Ok, see you," 

"Bye!" Luhan grins and presses the end call button, unable to explain the butterflies fluttering in his stomach. Maybe he's excited at the prospect of Sehun being forced to be in the same room as him. Maybe he's happy that he can rely on Taeyeon and Baekhyun, maybe even count on them as friends. He lets the phone sit on his stomach, too lazy to go and put it back, and curls up against the window, hoping that soon everything will be alright, and Sehun will stop treating him like a damn leper.

-

When Sehun returns home that evening, it's to a suspiciously upbeat looking Luhan, his fluffy pink ears perked up, humming sweetly to himself in the next room. This is suspicious, because for the last few days, a week now nearly, Luhan has been moping around the house and sulking. Which he knows is entirely his fault, because he's to embarrassed to even sit next to him without having an existentiakl crisis.

In any case, he quietly skulks into the kitchen to start on dinner, keeping an ear out for Luhan, in case he decides to come in here and bother him. Dinner itself is, as usual, a quiet affair, but it's nice to see Luhan looking happier again, even though he doesn't know the cause of this newfound high spirits. If it weren't for Sehun, this would actually be very pleasant, and the atmosphere almost datelike.

He thinks that with a good deal of discomfort, because he was never very good at dates. And then there's the fact that Luhan keeps looking at him like he knows something he doesn't, and it's starting to creep him out. Every time he looks up at him, it's either that or some soft expression Sehun doesn't want to validate by putting a name to. Luhan offers to wash the dishes, taking the soiled plates and bowls out of Sehun's hands, and making sure to brush his fingertips against his in doing so.

Flustered and pink faced, Sehun wracks his mind as to where Luhan could have learned how to flirt of all things. The TV, that's the only solution. He'll have to make it so Luhan can't go on any channels where he might find romantic dramas, he'l have to- he'll-. He's being ridiculous again, he just needs to calm down and get out of here.

He all but barricades himself in his room after escaping from the kitchen, trying to focus on some paperwork, but the knowledge that Luhan is just one floor away from him, probably sat on the sofa, most likely watching TV again, maybe with his tail flicking contentedly is just too distracting. He packs up his things, shoves them back into his breifcase in a completely disorderly fashion and tries for hours to fall asleep.

-

Mornings these days are like covert operations for Sehun, trying to sneak into the kitchen while Luhan is, with any luck, still asleep, and eating breakfast silently, before leaving the house as quietly as he can. He can't believe he's sunk so low- is he not a man? Shouldn't he be able to go wherever he wants in his own house, and make as much noise as he likes? No, because now he's sharing his space with another human being, and it's driving him slowly insane.

All day long, he finds himself getting distracted by how terrible he feels about sneaking around Luhan like this. If only he just had the balls to face him and....and say what exactly? He's done all this avoidance because he had hoped it would buy him more time to think about what to say, what decision to fall upon, but he hasn't come up with anything.

He pinches the bridge of his nose, grumbling to himself and garnering the concerned attention of a high school girl stood next to him on the train. Tonight. Tonight he won't just walk straight past him, tonight he'll figure something out and actually speak to him. First things first, what to say?

-

Sehun breaks the promise he made to himself the moment he takes off his shoes. Sock-clad feet sliding coolly over the linoleum floor, out of pure habit he sneaks past the living room and through to the kitchen, his safe haven away from his troubles. His troubles that come in the form of a man with pink cat ears. Just when he thinks he's safe, however, the doorbell rings and all of his efforts are for naught.

The hurried slapping of bare feet against hard floor tells Sehun that he needn't move, and that possibly Luhan had been expecting company, since usually he'd hide away in a back room somewhere. Who does Luhan know well enough to invite over? is the real question. One that is answered promptly with,

"Sehun! Get your out here!" In a voice that sounds suspiciously like Baekhyun, followed by a laugh that he's positive belongs to Taeyeon. What are they doing here? They've never come to see him without warning him before. He doesn't move though, frozen like a deer in the headlights at the prospect of having to entertain guests and act like normal in front of people with Luhan right next to him.

His thoughts are in turmoil as he drags his feet to the living room, heart palpitating in a frenzy. Before he opens the door, he rolls his shoulders back and puts on his business face, the one he uses when he needs to speak to his boss and seem like he's confident and actually control of his life. A gross lie, in his opinion. 

No one says a word as he walks siffly in and sits down primly on the side of the sofa furthest from Luhan, but he can see exasperation in all of their faces, and also smugness in the way Baekhyun and Taeyeons smiles are set.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Sehun says, hiding behind a thin veil of false formality. 

"Shut up Sehun," Baekhyun shuts him down, shaking his head lightly, "So yesterday, we received a distressed phonecall from none other than your little kitten, Luhan. Do you want to explain to daddy Baekhyun why that might be?" 

"Don't patronise me,"

"Question still needs to be answered," Baekhyun reminds him, an eyebrow quirking upwards as Sehun winces, and blushes of all things. 

"Is this really necessary?" Sehun complains, tone embarrassingly whiney.

"I don't know, Sehun, you tell me," Baekhyun teases, making Taeyeon snort; very unladylike. Sehun heaves a very much put-upon sigh and, rolling his eyes, says,

"I know I'm being an idiot, I don't see why that means you guys have to come over?"

"Ah, that's because Luhan is fed up of your , child."

Sehun glares at him, and the two share an intense battle of willpower, while Luhan and Taeyeon look on in worry and amusement respectively.

"I said don't patronise me," Sehun growls through gritted teeth. The stare down looks like it could go on forever, so catching Luhan's eye, Taeyeon winks and elbows Baekhyun's side, reminding him why they came here,

"We're here because you need to get your together and we've known you long enough to know that you need a colossal kick up the backside to make that happen."

"Thanks, consider my backside kicked, now get out, and leave me alone," 

"We can't just leave, we only just got here," Taeyeon objects, "do you know how long it takes to get down here?"

"It's only like twenty minutes," Sehun squints at her incredulously, but she ignores him,

"I vote we stay for dinner," she claps her hands together regally, "Sehun, you'll cook for us, won't you?" she raises her eyebrows in an angelic manner that completely contradicts her real personality, and Sehun just stares at her. She can't be serious, in a second she'll say 'just kidding!' and then they'll go and then he can relax. Or not relax, because now he's under even more pressure to do something and it's not like Luhan's handsome face wasn't dancing around the forefront of his mind anyway, taunting him.

"...Fine," Sehun acquiesces, using this as a chance to escape and hopefully get his thoughts in order. He's out of the living room like a shot, missing Baekhyun mutter 'he's useless' and shake his head. 

The solitude of the kitchen is oddly lonely, and he wishes he wasn't such an idiot and that he hadn't dug himself into this pit he can't get out of. He burns himself twice, not paying enough attention to what's right in front of him. If he were in a more metaphorical mood, he might compare this with his whole life. He can hear the others laughing in the next room and curses himself for being so hasty to leave.

-

Dinner is an uncomfortable affair, at least for Sehun. No one else seems to be affected by this tension, only Sehun; even Luhan is chattering happily away, even though last time he was with these people they, Baekhyun especially, had been disapproving of Luhan's current state. But now, he seems to be the opposite, fascinated by everything Luhan is saying, even though most of it is garbage.

Suddenly, something soft swishes past his bare ankle, making him stiffen up and widen his eyes. Was that Luhan's tail? Taeyeon and Baekhyun burst out laughing, but Sehun doesn't know what- when he looks up they're looking at him. Luhan's tail brushes past his ankle again, slower this time, and that's when it twigs that they're laughing at him, at his reaction. He flushes beetroot red, mortified, and tries to subtly change his position so Luhan can't reach him.

This just makes all of them crack up all over again, and Sehun has never felt so victimised in his life. After that it seems like Luhan is doing everything he possibly can to touch him, be as close as he physically can. Since when was Luhan this good at flirting? And since when was Sehun such a prude? He clams up the moment Luhan leans across him to serve himself a second helping, biting the inside of his cheek and pretending Luhan's face isn't just a few inches away from his own.

Baekhyun and Taeyeon continue to find hilarity in his like reactions to Luhan's proximity, and it's really not helping his state of mind. Once everyone is done eating, Sehun politely ushers the happy couple and Luhan out into the hallway, fussing over them and trying to get them to put on their shoes faster so they can leave him in relative peace. He tries to ignore the stabbing, irrational feeling of jealousy that is sizzling under his skin at the way Luhan is hanging rapturously onto every word of whatever Baekhyun is telling him, stars in his eyes.

He twitches when Baekhyun reaches out to touch his ears, and Luhan closes his eyes.

Leaning against the wall with his arms folded, he doesn't notice Taeyeon observing him wryly. She knows exactly why he's pouting to himself, though she doubts he would say it out loud, not yet anyway. She tugs on Baekhyun's sleeve to make him shut up, then jerks her head to the young man staring angry holes into the floor.

"Say something!" She mouths. Baekhyun blanches and rolls his eyes, ever the drama queen, but does as she says, taking Sehun by the arm and pulling him to the side while Taeyeon talks to Luhan.

"Listen, Sehun. You better apologise to him, make it up to him. Whatever. Taengu told me that when Luhan called yesterday he was practically in tears. Do you know how awkward it is to deal with a grown man crying? Or how sad they must be to reach that point? Fix it!" He hisses, he pokes his chest then takes off swiftly, steering his girlfriend out with a hand pressed to the small of her back. They both wave at Luhan and he waves back, but sullen Sehun doesn't get such niceties.

The door shuts with a click. Luhan turns to Sehun, mouth open to say something, but upon seeing his gloomy expression, closes his it again and walks past him up the stairs, back ramrod straight and ears pressed so flat against his hair they may as well be invisible.

Sehun knocks the back of his head against the wall once, twice, and groans quietly. He'd made Luhan cry? He hadn't thought Luhan to be the type to cry, but Baekhyun wouldn't lie to him about something like this. 

-

Luhan is lying on their (Luhan likes to think of it as theirs, rather than his,) bed, curled up underneath the duvet so no part of him is visible, when Sehun finally gathers the courage to go upstairs and speak to him. For the most part, he's planned out what he's going to say, it's just that, back in school, he never was good at making speeches. Seating himself gingerly on the edge of the bed, not to far from Luhan's inert, lumpy form, but not too close either, he braces himself to begin.

"Luhan?" He begins, after clearing his throat. A muffled noise from within the nest of blankets indicates that he's listening, "I just wanted to apologise. I'm sorry for avoiding you, and it won't happen again." He brings one knee up to his chest and wraps his arm around it. He doesn't understand why but its comforting.

The duvets and quilts rustle and fall around Luhan as he emerges, looking a little bedraggled but still as handsome as ever. Sehun resists the urge to flich away from the sight of him, especially now that he's dressed for bed, which means minimal clothing, but he promised himself he wouldn't do that anymore,

"I'm human. I just. I want you to remember that, ok?" Luhan's breathy voice is both comforting and unsettling at the same time; no other voice has ever affected him in this way. He doesn't know how he should react. He his lips nervously, nodding. He'll do his best to keep that in the forefront of his mind, and not let anything else get in the way.

Luhan's eye flick down to Sehun's lips, where his tongue just was, and a flare of sizzling fireworks spark behind his bellybutton as Luhan mimics the action. He wants to kiss him- in fact, like this, they're in the perfect position for kissing- but now is not the time. Not when they're only just getting over this issue, no. Now is not the time. So pushing all thoughts of kissing Luhan aside as best he can, he rises to his feet to get ready for bed,

"You're sleeping with me tonight?" Luhan asks tentatively. Sehun nods, hesitant in case Luhan wants to sleep alone, but Luhan beams at him, "in that case, hurry up!" He commands, pulling the covers up to his chest and waving his hand imperiously at him.

While brushing his teeth, Sehun lets himself stew in the realisation that maybe, just maybe, everything will be ok.


 

wow sorry guys, i didnt mean for this to take so long

comment and stuff, yeh?

LOOK THIS PICTURE OF LUHAN IS EXACTLY HOW I IMAGINED HIM ERMAGERD

tumblr | askfm