Auction

The Book of Taengsic

*Note: This story is not related to “Pranking My Love”


 

Spring break had finally arrived for SM University and all the students were filled with excitement and anticipation for the three week long vacation. Today was the last day of school before it officially started and the University was holding its 4th Annual Spring Festival. This festival had all sorts of fun things: from free concerts to carnival type games and competitions happening all over the college grounds. They held this event so that students could already enjoy the break they were going to have by giving them a fun last day of school without any classes. Three students, however, were currently inside the school, hanging around their lockers to collect the stuff they would bring back home with them.

 

“Finally! Spring break is here,” the shortest of the three said, “Those midterms were a pain in the !” she leaned back against the wall.

“I know! I’m just happy I get to go back home and visit my family!” The loudest of the three said, intently looking into her phone.

“What about you, Taeyeon-ah? What are you do—” Sunny stopped what she was going to say when she remembered that Taeyeons family wasn’t home for the holidays. She eyed Tiffany who also had a scared and worried look on her face. They turned back to Taeyeon who was getting the books from her locker and stuffing them in her bag.

“Sorry Taetae…”

Taeyeon turned around with a comforting smile, “It’s okay guys. I’m really not that upset” She patted both her friends in the shoulder to reassure them and soon, the atmosphere was happy and light again. They all laughed together after their little drama scene.

 

“So are you sure you don’t wanna go with me to visit my family? They honestly wouldn’t mind”

“I’m sure Fany-ah” she swung her backpack over her shoulder, “I’ve actually always wanted to travel around Seoul and sightsee. You know I’ve never had the chance since I moved here from Jeonju…with school and all!”

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders and silence filled the air. It didn’t take long before Sunny spoke up again, “So what do you guys wanna do first?! We’ve got the whole day to enjoy this festival!”

Tiffany tapped her chin thinking of what she wanted to try out first. She thought about going to see the concert; a friend of hers did say the guitarist in the band was really cute. But there were also the fun games where you could win amazing prizes! She looked to Taeyeon for a suggestion, but the latter just shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Ugh, you’re so indecisive Taetae!”

The older girl just rolled her eyes, “I just don’t care what we do first! I mean, we do have the whole day…like Sunny said”

“Alright, fine!” Tiffany relented, “let’s just walk around then and see what we come across first”

The girls were about to walk away from their lockers when Sunny turned around again with wide eyes and a huge grin on her face, “Oooooh! I almost forgot! Let’s go to the outdoor theater around 5 o’clock, okay?”

Both Taeyeon and Tiffany had a confused look on their face. They turned to each other and gave expressions that read, I have no idea what she’s talking about. Taeyeon looked at her wristwatch,

 

“Sunny-ah, it’s only 11 o’clock…why are you telling us this now? And what’s so fun at the outdoor theater anyways?”

Sunnys mouth opened agape, “You guys didn’t hear?”

 

Both girls shrugged their shoulders again and looked at the shorty with expectant eyes, “Obviously we didn’t!”

Sunny scoffed at their sarcasm, “The school organized a new event so they could raise money for this foundation to help needy families.”

 

“Okay? Wouldn’t it just be boring? I mean, they’re probably just going to talk about the event and wait for people to donate money.”

“Not exactly…” Sunny gave a mischievous smile, “the event is actually a lot more fun than that!”

 

“Well what is it?!” Tiffany was beginning to become impatient with all the hints Sunny was giving. She wanted the girl to get straight to the point and to stop beating around the bush.

 

Sunnys eyes went from Taeyeon and Tiffany as she continued to smile, “It’s a date auction!”

 

“What?!” both girls eyes went wide.

 

“Yep! A date auction! Basically, people bid money on a girl they want to go on a date with…fun right?” she continued to stare at her two shocked friends, “They held sign ups a week ago for any girl who wanted to participate and—”

 

“Don’t tell me you signed us up?!” Taeyeon interrupted the girl as she stared at Sunny with an expression of both anger and anticipation.

“Of course not! I was gonna say that—”

“Well then, I don’t care. I don’t wanna see girls practically sell themselves to a stranger they’ve never met.” Taeyeon turned around and began to walk away.

 

“Then I guess you don’t wanna see who Jessica Jung goes on a date with!”

 

Taeyeon stopped walking and her ears perked up at the mention of that oh-so familiar name. She turned back around and saw Sunny with a cynical smirk while Tiffany looked just as shocked as she was. Her best friends knew that she’s had a crush on Jessica for the longest time. However, she was always too shy to ever approach the girl. I mean, who could blame her? Jessica was the most popular girl in school and pretty much every guy wanted her. But Jessica never accepted any of them; she turned down every single guy that tried to ask her out. It was as if Jessica was untouchable to anyone.

Taeyeon quickly made her way back to Sunny and held her shoulders forcefully, “What did you say?!”

“You heard me,” Sunny snickered, “The Jessica Jung is going to participate in the date auction!”

“Omo!” Tiffany exclaimed, “She’s going to raise so much money for the foundation! I mean, do you know how many guys would bid money to go on a date—” she covered suddenly and looked over to Taeyeon.

 

The girl was staring blankly at the floor. She had a look of both anxiety and worry as her eyebrows began to furrow. So many different thoughts ran through her mind. Just then, Sunny spoke up again,

 

“Speak of the devil, here comes Jessica now!”

 

Taeyeon quickly looked up and, indeed, there Jessica was, walking down the hallway with her two friends by her side. Taeyeon couldn’t help but check Jessica out from head to toe. She had a fit body with curves that complimented her perfectly. From her long, slim legs all the way up to her flawlessly molded chest. Taeyeon began to heat up and her heart beat at an irregular speed. It wasn’t helping that Jessica was wearing white booty shorts with a low-cut top that revealed a little of her s. Taeyeon her lips as she caught sight of Jessica’s chest bouncing up and down with each step she took.

Taeyeons gaze was locked on Jessica the whole time she passed by and she found it hard to breathe in the process. When Jessica was right in front of Taeyeon, the older girl could smell that familiar scent: Strawberries. She closed her eyes and became intoxicated with the smell, but soon opened her eyes and looked at the girl walk away passed her. Her eyes automatically fell onto the girls’ , her hips swaying with each step. Taeyeon adjusted the collar of her shirt so that she could fan herself from the heat she was feeling throughout her body.

 

“Man, you are so whipped Taeyeon” Sunny said as she put her hand on the girls shoulder.

Taeyeon sighed, “I am…”

 

She continued to stare at her dream girl who was walking farther and farther away from her. She swallowed the saliva that had accumulated when was open from staring at Jessica and turned her attention back to her friends. Tiffany hugged Sunny and Taeyeon by the shoulders and shouted,

 

“Well, let’s go! I don’t wanna stand here all day and waste my time!”

 

……………………………………………………………………….

 

As Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Sunny made their way outside to enjoy their day at the festival, three girls decided to go to the lunch room to have some snacks. When they arrived, they were relieved to find that the place was completely empty. Their real purpose for going to the cafeteria was so that they could talk.

 

“Guess who I saw staring at a certain someone just now~” Yuri said, trying to best friend. The said girl just shrugged her shoulders, attempting to hide the smile on her face.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Jessica said with a tint of pink visible on her cheeks.

 

Yoona decided to tease Jessica as well. She leaned forward against the table and poked the girls cheek, “Oh come on unnie, smile! We know you’re happy!” Falling to temptation, Jessica started to smile like an idiot and cover her face while squealing like a little girl. Her two friends began to chuckle at the sight of their friend practically fangirling over a certain dork shorty.

 

“Did you see the way she looked at me?!” Jessica shouted in utter happiness

 

“Yes unnie, we saw” Yoona said while smiling, “She was literally drooling over you!”

“She was staring at you so much, she could’ve drilled holes into your chest and !” Yuri and Yoona both began to laugh again while Jessica’s face only got redder from embarrassment.

 

“Why don’t you just go out with her? I mean, she obviously likes you and you like her. Plus, you’re the most popular girl in school! It wouldn’t be that hard” Yuri said.

 

Jessica sighed, “I know…it’s just…I’m scared to approach her. Even though guys ask me out all the time and I have this popular image, that girl just makes me so shy!” she began to pout, “I don’t know how she does it…Taeyeon just has that effect on me”

 

“Aww it’s okay, unnie!”

 

Jessica just nodded, “That’s why I’m hoping this date auction thing works! That’s the only reason why I signed up. If I didn’t like her, I wouldn’t waste my time just to go on a date with some guy!” She stared at her friends with optimistic eyes, “Hopefully she’ll be there and will have the guts to bid the most money for me!”

Yuri gave her a reassuring smile, “I’m sure she will. Seeing that she loves you so much, she has to bid on you!”

 

Jessica looked out the window, “I really hope so…”

 

……………………………………………………………………….

 

Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Sunny were walking through rows of booths set up; some selling food while others had games that people could play to win prizes. They were currently in front of a food stand debating what they wanted to eat, but Taeyeons mind was occupied by something else. Whether or not she should bid money on Jessica.

She did like the girl a lot and always imagined what a date with her would be like. Just the thought of actually going on a date with Jessica got Taeyeon smiling to herself. But then the smile faded as more thoughts began to fill her mind. But she doesn’t even know I exist. I’m just another student to her while she’s the most popular girl in school! She probably wouldn’t even enjoy the date if I did win. Taeyeon shrugged the idea of actually bidding aside and turned to her friends, “Hey guys, I’m gonna go to the restroom real quick. Just text me where you guys are.”

They nodded and she left. Taeyeon opened the door into the school and walked through the hallways. The school was emptier than it was earlier when she was inside. The silence of the hallways comforted and scared Taeyeon at the same time; she decided to keep quiet as well. As she was about to turn a corner, she spotted a couple of guys talking and immediately hid herself. Being the curious person that she was, she stayed and listened.

 

“So did you guys hear that Jessica Jung is gonna be in the date auction?!”

Taeyeon tensed up at the very mention of that name. She started to feel uneasy and worried with where this conversation would end up.

“Oh yeah dude, I heard that!” one guy said.

“Man, Jessica is so hot! I’d give anything to get into that girls pants!” The guys began to cheer and whistle in excitement. The more they talked, the more Taeyeon began to growl in anger, her blood boiling. Their conversation consisted of talking about Jessica’s body and how great she would be in bed.

 

“Have you seen the on that girl? She is so fine!”

“I think I’m gonna bid money on her.”

Suddenly, all the guys got quiet until one of them spoke up, “Really, Donghae?”

 

Taeyeon gasped but quickly covered . Out of all the guys in this school that had to say that, it had to be Donghae. For those who didn’t know, Donghae is known to be the infamous player of the school. He plays with girls’ hearts only to have with them later on. And when he wanted someone, he made sure that he got them. So when Taeyeon found out that Donghae wanted to bid money on Jessica, she got worried.

 

“Yeah, I’m serious.” Donghae said as he smoked his cigarette, “you guys know that I’ve always wanted Jessica!”

“But dude, there’s gonna be so many other guys bidding on her too! You might not even win!”

Donghae scoffed, “Well then I guess I better bid more money” he inhaled another breath of smoke, “I’ll make a bet with you guys. If I win the auction, I’ll have with her!”

 

Taeyeon could not believe what she was hearing. A rush of anxiety and fear could be felt throughout her body. She didn’t want to imagine Jessica going out on a date with this scumbag, most especially being forced to have with him! Her heart began to twist in pain as the other guys agreed on the bet. With ragged breaths, Taeyeon ran out of the building and looked for Tiffany and Sunny. She finally made her decision on whether she should bid on Jessica.

 

……………………………………………………………………….

 

Taeyeon looked around the campus with frantic eyes. Her heart was beating even faster and her emotions were hitting her hard. She glanced at a bench occupied by two girls and discovered it was Sunny and Tiffany. She ran over.

 

“Guys! We need to go to the outdoor theater quick! Hurry up, let’s go before the date auction starts!” Taeyeon tried to pull on Tiffany’s arm but the latter stopped her,

“Taeyeon, it’s only 2:30. We still have plenty of time”

“No, we don’t! We have to be the first ones there and—” Tiffany grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her to look into her eyes, “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Relax Taeyeon…what’s going on?”

 

Taeyeon sat down on the bench between Sunny and Tiffany and looked down at the floor, tears falling from her eyes and breathing uneven. “D-Donghae…he wants…wants to have …with Jessica…”

“What?!” The girls’ eyes went wide with shock. Taeyeon just simply nodded her head, then she looked up at Tiffany, “I overheard him and his friends talking,” she sniffled, “they made a bet that if Donghae wins the auction, he would have with Jessica!” She hugged Tiffany and cried in her arms.

 

“Shh, it’s okay Taetae! It’s going to be alright,” Tiffany patted Taeyeon on the back, “We’ll go now if you want to”

They pulled back from the hug, “But…I don’t have that much money. I won’t be able to bid a lot!” Taeyeon said.

Tiffany smiled at Taeyeon, “Don’t worry about that Taetae. My family’s rich, remember? I’ll let you use my money!” The older girl sniffled again, “really Fany-ah?”

 

“Of course! What are friends for? I mean, Jessica means a lot to you and your happiness is my happiness.”

The girls hugged again and all three decided to make their way to the outdoor theater. As they walked, Taeyeon only thought one thing:

 

Don’t worry, Jessica! I’ll protect you!

 

……………………………………………………………………….

 

It was 4:55 and the date auction would be starting soon.

Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Sunny stood anxiously in the crowd of people waiting for the event to start. Taeyeon, most especially, was tapping her fingers nervously at what the outcome of the auction would be.

Backstage, Jessica stood with Yuri and Yoona as they waited for the event to start as well. There were 10 girls total participating in the auction and Jessica would be the last one called out to the stage. Jessica was also nervous for the auction. She wasn’t sure if Taeyeon would be there. And even if she was there, Jessica was unsure if the girl was able to bid money for her. She called out to Yoona,

 

“Yoona, have you seen if Taeyeon was out there?”

Yoona walked over to Jessica with a smile, “Don’t worry unnie, Taeyeon unnie is out there!”

 

The worry in Jessica’s heart was finally eased. She, at least, knew Taeyeon was there. Now her only worry was if she could bid the most money. Soon enough, the date auction started. The MC of the event walked out to the center of the stage and introduced himself,

 

“Hello and Welcome everyone! My name is Kim KiBum, or as all of you like to call me, Key!”

 

The crowd began to roar and cheer at the introduction. “Wow! The crowd tonight is really energetic! Well, as a fellow student of SM University, I am honored to be MCing tonights even!”

 

After the introduction, the event soon started and all the girl participants walked out and formed a line in the back. The moment Jessica walked out from the side stage, Taeyeons breath hitched. It felt like time slowed down and the only person Taeyeon could see was Jessica. To Taeyeon, Jessica was the most beautiful girl on stage. She wore a yellow dress with her lovely golden locks curled.

 

For Jessica, the moment she walked onto the stage, her eyes began to search for one person. Unfortunately, the lights on the stage were too bright which made it difficult for her to see anyone in the crowd. She sighed but quickly put on a smile on her face. The auction continued with each participant stepping to the front of the stage while the MC called up those who won the bid. One by one, each girl was bid on and they exited the stage with their date for the day.

 

“Now, time for the last and final girl to be bid on! The girl that all you folks will be bidding on is none other than the “it” girl of SM University! Ladies and gentlemen….Miss Jessica Jung!”

 

The crowd began to roar with excitement as Jessica made her way to the front. In the crowd, Taeyeon tensed up seeing that it was finally Jessica’s turn to be auctioned. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to the person: it was Sunny. The girl gave her an encouraging look and Taeyeon could only give a small smile in return.

 

“So, if you want to have a date with the lovely Jessica Jung, then get your wallets out and prepare to spend some money! I’ll start off the bidding at 10 dollars!”

And just like that, several guys from all over the crowd raised their hands and shouted, “10 dollars over here!”

 

“Whoa! It looks like this bidding is gonna be a lot! Alright, how about 20 dollars?”

 

The bidding continued with several different guys making a bid on Jessica. The amount of men making bids had Taeyeon worried. She wasn’t sure if she was able to go through with this. However, it slowly started to die down as the price got higher. Taeyeon was close to giving up until she caught sight of Donghae and his friends. She could see the cynical smile plastered on Donghae’s face and she suddenly remembered why she needs to go through with the auction. 

 

“500 dollars! Is anyone willing to spend 500 dollars to have a date with Jessica?”

 

Still, two men raised their hands and made the offer. Key sighed, “Alright then, I guess I’ll have to increase the pric—” but he was interrupted by the loud voice coming from the back of the crowd.

 

“1,000 dollars!”

 

Everyone got silent as they saw Donghae getting up from his seat and already making his way to the stage. Once he was up, he stood next to Jessica and gave her a smirk. He whispered into her ear, “Don’t worry, baby. I’ll make sure our date tonight is special…I’ll take good care of you!” Jessica had a look of disappointment and fear. For one, she hoped Taeyeon would make a bid and two, she grew scared at what Donghae planned on doing with her. Key had a confused face and said,

 

“Alright…since that’s our biggest offer. 1000 dollars going once…going twice…sol—”

 

“15,000 dollars!”

 

Again, another silence. People began to look around to see who made the bid. Everyone in the crowd started to whisper in anticipation. Things being said were, “Whoa! 15,000 dollars!” or “Who was that?” even things like, “Was that a girl?!”

 

One girl that was particularly curious was the girl being bid on right now. Jessica became hopeful again and quickly searched the crowd for her savior. Key also looked out into the crowd and asked, “Who said that?!”

 

From the very corner of the crowd, a certain shorty stood up, “M-Me…K-Kim Taeyeon…”

 

Gasps could be heard from multiple people in the audience. Key, himself, was also shocked by this newly found revelation. No one really knew Taeyeon liked girls except for Tiffany and Sunny…well, Jessica, Yuri and Yoona also knew, but Taeyeon didn’t know they knew. Jessica immediately lit up; a smile could be found on her face and her heart began to beat faster. Taeyeon did it. She won the bid…for me, Jessica thought.

 

After a short period of silence, Taeyeon awkwardly walked up to the stage and stood on the other side of Jessica, opposite of Donghae. Key looked at Taeyeon with wide eyes, “K-Kim Taeyeon?!”

 

“…Yep. That’s me…Kim Taeyeon.” The older girl shifted her weight from one foot to the other, “Soooooo…since I bid the most money, I guess that means I win a date with Jessica?” Taeyeon shyly looked at the girl while Jessica gave a warm smile back.

 

Key cleared his throat, “Well uhh...y-yes! Yes of course!” He turned to the crowd, “Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of this bid and the chance to have a date with Jessica is Kim Taeyeon!” And with that, the crowd cheered again. Of course the crowd was not that weird out by Taeyeon’s sudden confession of her ual preference, it just came as an unexpected shock to them. Tiffany and Sunny could be seen in the audience hugging and clapping at Taeyeon’s victory, proud of what she did.

 

“This isn’t fair!” Everyone turned to Donghae who was boiling with rage, “I was already up here so that means I won the bid!”

 

All of the sudden, Key unleashed his sassy side and exclaimed, “Well the rules state that whoever bids the most money wins the date with the contestant! As you can see, Taeyeon bid the most money…so she gets the date!” Taeyeon released a happy smile at the fact that Key was defending her. The crowd was even cheering for him, “Unless Donghae…you’re able to bid more money”

 

Donghae just scoffed and left the stage. Clapping could be heard throughout the audience and, at that moment, Taeyeon and Jessica turned to each other with smiles on their faces; then they began to chuckle.

 

“H-Hi…I-I’m K-Kim…Kim Taeyeon” Taeyeon shyly said as she bowed her head a little, voice shaking in the process.

 

Jessica covered as she giggled, “Hi Kim Taeyeon.” Her voice sounded so sweet and soothing, “I’m Jessica Jung…your date for tonight.”

 

-END-

 

 


I'm so sorry that this story and probably doesn't make sense... 

I didn't know where I was going when I wrote this, I just kept writing what came up in my head first.

I might write a sequel to this one shot because I actually enjoy the storyline so please be patient and stay tuned :]

With Love,

INBHKTY