Bus Rides

The Book of Taengsic

I'm just gonna leave this here & hide away in shame


 

I always found the bus to be a rather intriguing place.

 

Starting from its unique shape as a vehicle; a mix between wanting to be a truck, but also a car. There is also the fact that the driver can navigate all throughout an entire city with perfect ease. That fact alone left me astounded. However, what really caught my attention was the people that occupied the bus.

 

You have your typical teenage couple laughing and smiling to each other. Then there’s always a few businessmen here and there talking away on their smartphones. Occasionally, you’ll get a few elderly folk wanting to enjoy time outside the confines of their homes. No matter the circumstances, there was no limits to who the bus offered a ride to. This very fact in itself is what drew me to the bus.

 

And for me, being that I’m an aspiring photographer in high school, I find the bus to be the perfect place to take photos in.

 

You may be thinking I’m some sort of stalker who takes pictures of random strangers (which, to some extent, I may be…), but let me provide to you an explanation. I like to think that the photos I take have a certain edginess and uniqueness to them. I keep it in my best intentions to have my photos possess a raw and true aspect to them. For me, the bus is the most ideal place to obtain this. There is no superficial qualities within the photos I take; it is simply just candid shots of people going about their own lives.

 

This statement couldn’t be any truer the day I met a certain girl on my way to school.

 

….

 

There I stood, legs shaking and hands clutching onto my DSLR camera, trying to ward off the cold autumn air as I waited for the bus to arrive. I had recently turned 18 and my parents thought it best to get me a car to start off my senior year of high school. However, I quickly turned down the offer, explaining that I much rather prefer to take the bus. Pressing my face deeper into my scarf, I turned to notice a few other people waiting for the bus as well.

 

Seems like the bus won’t be too busy today, I thought.

 

Sounds of screeching tires and roaring engines brought me out of my reverie. Before I knew it, people were getting ready and lining up to get into the bus. I climbed up the steps and happily paid my bus fare while greeting the driver. However, once I turned, I was greeted with quite the sight.

 

The bus was jam packed. Guess I was wrong, I concluded while scratching the back of my head. I wedged my way passed the people standing and after many excuse me’s later, I was lucky enough to find a seat in the back corner of the bus.

 

I plopped myself down on the seat with a content sigh. Releasing the camera strap from around my neck, I scanned the area to see who would be the chosen model for today’s photo.

 

What initially caught my attention were the numerous business men and women who could be seen texting away on their phones, most likely work related things. Scrunching up my nose in distaste, I decided against it. I already had too many photos of them.

 

I then took notice of a man standing towards the front of the bus. In his hands were two bags which I presumed to be filled with groceries. After some deliberation, I considered taking a photo of him. It breaks the stereotype that only women and housewives go out to buy the groceries. For sure it would make a bold statement in my photo. I was about to set up my camera for the shoot until I saw the man bring his hand up to his face in order to wipe dripping snot from his nose.

 

Gross… I exclaimed with a look of disgust.

 

Suddenly, from the corner of my eyes, I saw a girl who looked to be around my age. She had over-the-head headphones on and in her hands were a pair of drumsticks. Even from all the way back here, I could hear her blasting music. She appeared to be drumming along to the song by the way she was hitting the drumsticks in the air.

 

The whole scene seemed interesting enough for me. I decided to make her my photo for the day. I grabbed my camera and brought it up to eye level, moving my head closer to look inside the eyepiece. Steadying my hands, I adjusted the zoom and focus ring to the settings I wanted and once I was ready to take my picture, I couldn’t help but hear a mumbled “sorry” from my left ear.

 

The voice sounded so feminine and demure, I had to turn my head to see who spoke those words. What I saw was another girl. She looked to also be around my age and was surrounded by many other people standing in the middle of the bus. The girl said sorry once again to the man standing beside her for she had bumped into him. The only response she got was a look of annoyance. She lowered her head as though she were terrified and brought her hand across her stomach to clutch onto the elbow of her other arm. Her whole being screamed shy and timid.

 

Despite her apprehensive nature, what most especially caught my attention was her beauty. The girl had long, caramel colored hair that fell past her shoulders in wave-like tendrils. Her skin was fair and of such smooth complexion that she practically glowed among the crowd of people. She also wore a simple white dress that ended just above her knees and paired it with a white cardigan as well. Of course this only helped to radiate her beauty more. As for her face, well, that needed a whole chapter book on its own to explain the allure it contained.

 

To put it simply, it was as though I was looking at an angel.

 

I must have been mesmerized for longer than necessary for when I was brought back from my thoughts, the girl was staring right at me. She had this look on her face. A mix between fear, insecurity, and curiosity. Once realization finally hit me, my eyes widened and I quickly turned my head the other direction, pretending as though I wasn’t just staring at her for a good five minutes. Although the pink tinge on my cheeks said otherwise.

 

After a few seconds, I peeked back at the girl to see if she was still staring. Thankfully she wasn’t, but I noticed her looking down at the floor with a rather amused look on her face. The corners of her lips were turned upwards in what seemed to be a small, shy smile.

 

Unknowingly, my heart was beating slightly faster than normal. I tried to calm down my nerves by messing around with the functions on my camera or looking out the window staring at the outdoor scenery. After a couple minutes, I turned back to the girl and saw that she had returned back to her previous state of shyness, not taking notice of me at all.

 

I decided that I wanted to take a picture of this unknown girl, completely forgetting the drummer girl from moments before. I brought the camera back up to eye level and aimed it at the direction of the girl. Adjusting the zoom and focus ring, I found the proper settings that would bring out the best in this picture.

 

Of course, luck is never on my side because as I was about to finally take my picture, the bus came to a sudden stop. This caused me to lose my footing and almost fall flat on my face. I was able to gain control, however, and my face or my camera were free from harm. Just to make sure, I checked all over my camera for any scratches or damages. Once I knew it was alright, I brought the camera back up to take the picture of this mystery “angel” but as I looked through the eyepiece, she was gone.

 

Looking around in panic, she wasn’t anywhere on the bus. As if this girl just suddenly disappeared. I looked out the window to see where I was and realized I had made it to school. I quickly gathered my things, putting the camera strap around my neck and my backpack over my shoulder, and made it out the bus in rushed steps. The cool autumn air welcomed me once again as I looked left and right for the girl. Several other students were walking all around me, but none of them were her.

 

I hadn’t realized I was breathing heavily, chest heaving and all, until I felt an arm rest upon my shoulder.

 

“Hey Taeng!” the unknown person yelled.

 

I turned my head and saw that it was my best friend, Yuri.

 

Releasing a sigh of disappointment, I shrugged her arm off my shoulder and nodded my head her direction, “Hey…”

 

“Why are you so late? I thought your parents were gonna get you a car for school?”

 

I scratched the back of my neck, “Nah, I didn’t want the car. I take the bus anyways.”

 

Yuri continued to talk for the next couple minutes, recounting her adventures of the past summer. However, I wasn’t paying attention at all. I continued to look around to see if I could spot the girl from the bus. Maybe she goes to this school. Why else would she get off at my stop? I thought to myself. Without warning, I felt a nudge on my shoulders which brought me out of my reverie.

 

“You’re not even listening to what I’m saying, Taeng,” she reprimanded as she crossed her arms over her chest, “What’s wrong with you anyways? It’s like you’ve seen a ghost.”

 

I released a huff of air as we began to make our way to class, “…more like an angel.”

 

….

 

The next couple days I continued to take the bus to school. Each time, I had hoped I would run into the mystery girl again. Seems like I would have to wait longer, however, because she never showed up. At This point, I didn’t even care about the picture anymore. I just wanted to see her.

 

Every day during school, she would constantly be on my mind. I would just always imagine her face and all the beauty it contained wherever I went. It even came to the point where I asked Yuri if she had seen the girl in school; perhaps she was a new student.

 

Some of you may be thinking I’m a stalker of sorts, but I assure you I’m not. There’s just this pulling force I feel that I need to see her again. As if her alluring charms are a magnet to me, dragging me closer. Something about her shy and reserved nature attracted me and made me curious to find out more.

 

Surely you have felt that way about someone before, right?

I stood at the front gate of the school waiting for the bus to arrive. I was one of the last students on school grounds because I had to stay after to get an extra assignment done in my photography class. I kept my eyes glued to the road to check for the bus when suddenly I felt a vibration in my jacket pocket. It was a text from Yuri.

 

Sorry I couldn’t stay after with you, Taeng! Important family event I gotta get to.

 

I chuckled to myself as I replied to her saying it was fine; it’s not like I haven’t taken the bus alone before. As I was putting my phone back in my jacket pocket, the bus stopped right in front of me. The doors opened and I greeted the driver happily.

 

“Hello there!” He said, “Luckily I saw you standing there. This is my last stop before my shift ends.”

 

I politely smiled back at him as my response. Taking a seat in the middle rows of the bus, I noticed that there were only a few other people on. I began to play around with my camera and look at the photos I took for my extra assignment. Just as the bus driver was closing the doors, a feminine voice called out and filled my ears.

 

“Excuse me, Sir! I’d like to ride the bus as well.”

 

The driver reopened the doors and I looked up to see the person paying her bus fare and smiling apologetically back at the man. This said person turned their head, hair flipping and all, and I could feel my breath hitch as I saw who it was.

 

It was her.

 

The girl straightened out her dress and began walking down the middle aisle in search for a seat. I abruptly turned my head towards the window so she didn’t catch me staring again. Oddly enough, my hands began to sweat and I couldn’t contain the inner thrill I felt that I got to see her again. As I continued to keep my excitement at bay, I felt a presence to my left side.

 

“Hi…” She began, “do you…umm…mind if I seat with you?”

 

Unable to contain my elation, I turned my head a little too quickly her direction but quickly forgot the pain in my neck when I saw her face. I was instantly mesmerized by her beauty once again.

 

Wow…she’s even more beautiful up close, I thought.

 

I must’ve been staring for longer than necessary because she cleared which brought me back to consciousness.

 

“Y-Yeah, sure. You can seat here,” I stuttered.

 

I hastily moved my backpack and gestured for her to sit. Once she was seated, my body instantly tensed. I realized how much closer she was to me and I could even smell the perfume radiating from her body. I always loved strawberries.

 

My emotions were on overload right now. I felt a mixture of excitement, happiness, and nervousness all at once. This girl really has an effect on me and I don’t even know her! For the nth time that day, I was lost in my thoughts until I heard her speak again.

 

“So you’re into photography?”

 

I willed myself to look at her without fainting and almost had a heart attack at her question. Did she see me try to take a picture of her the other day?! Oh God, she thinks I’m weird!

 

“U-Uhh…” I hesitantly began.

 

She then pointed to the camera that I so happened to forget I was holding. Looking back up at her, she had this smile on her face that was a cross between sweet and amused. I think I could die if she smiled like that again. I gave her a nervous laugh in return.

 

“Y-Yeah, I like photography.”

 

We continued to chat with one another for the rest of the bus ride. It was still shy and awkward at first, but we slowly grew comfortable with each other’s presence. I learned quite a few things during our little chat together. Before we knew it, the bus stopped and I had reached my stop. I was reluctant to leave because I might not see her again, but I was too afraid to ask for her number. I slowly got up and told her this was my stop.

 

“Oh really?” she asked, “This is my stop too.”

 

She laughed a little at the coincidence of the situation and I had to admit, a little of my happiness came back to me. We both got off the bus and stood side by side until it drove off. The sun was starting to set and the leaves around us continued to rustle around. We turned to each other and gave sheepish smiles.

 

“Well…” I started as I rubbed the back of my neck, “my house is this way.” I pointed behind myself.

 

She had her hands clasped together in front of her, “Ok.” She still had this smile on her face. As if waiting for me to continue talking.

 

“It was great talking to you,” I said. I didn’t have the courage to ask for her name or number, “I guess I’ll see you whenever…”

 

I noticed her smile falter slightly. She released a small laugh and took a breath of air, “It was fun talking to you too,” she nodded her head, “Goodbye.”

 

I turned around and walked away with heavy steps. Stupid Taeyeon! Why didn’t you just ask for her name? There’s nothing wrong with that! I kept on pounding my forehead with my fist in irritation. I lost my chance to ever see her again. I continued walking away with a frown on my face until I heard her voice again.

 

“H-Hey!” She yelled, “Wait!”

 

I turned around to see her running towards me. She stopped just a few steps in front of me and took a couple breaths to regain composure. After a few seconds, she looked up at me with amusement in her eyes. I looked back at her with confusion; wondering what she wanted to say to me.

 

All I could see was her lifting up a slip of paper in her hands and pushing it into my hand. She then took a step forward with her hands clasped behind her back. The next thing she did literally made my heart do somersaults.

 

She leaned close to my face and placed a kiss on my cheek, “You’re cute, “She whispered, her smile laced with so much mischief and amusement. Biting her bottom lip, she whispered to me again,

 

“Call me sometime and maybe we can hang out again.”

 

All that time, I just stood there, mouth ajar and expression filled with confusion and surprise. She began to walk away from me with a little more enthusiasm in her steps. My hand unconsciously went up to my face to touch the spot she had just kissed me at. I suddenly remembered the paper she put in my hands and opened it to see what was written inside. It was her name and phone number.

 

“…Jessica Jung” I breathed.

 

A silly grin began to grow on my face and soon, I was smiling from ear to ear. Again, she called out to me one final time and I looked up to see her looking back with a playful expression all over her face.

 

“Oh! And one more thing…” she said aloud, “the next time you wanna secretly take a picture of me, all you have to do is ask.”

 

Jessica started walking away again and I stood there, laughing to myself at my new found knowledge that she did, in fact, know I was trying to take a picture of her the other day. I started walking back to my house with happiness radiating all throughout my body. Although I couldn’t get my picture for the day, I got something even greater.   

 

-END-

 


I know I'm a horrible author for leaving you guys for almost 2 years, but I've been thinking about it and I wanted to at least gift you all with this one shot I came up with. Please forgive me! TT~TT 

Anyways, I'm not certain if my return to AFF is permanent (you know, with school and all...), but I will try to update with something here and there. It just won't be as constant as before.