Some lies, some truths

Getting His Voice Back

  [Link]( http://www.theplancollection.com/Upload/Designers/115/1370/1151370frontimage_1000.jpg ) (HER HOUSE)

 

 BRIIIINNG!! BRIIIINNG!!

 Gen groans in her pillow.

 BRIIIINNG!! BRIIIINNG!!

 She lifts her head off her pillow and looks at the screen of her phone. It was an unknown number. She looks over to her clock. 7:00 IN THE MORNING!!! She snatches her phone off the dresser and puts it to her ear, only to receive a loud ear-splitting ring in her ear. She screams and jerks her hand away. Maybe it would be smart to answer it first. She taps the green button and puts the phone to her ear. She quickly jerks it away to check if she actually tapped the button. She did. She again puts the phone to her face and answers the phone.

 “Hello?”

 “Hello, is this Shelly Lovelace?"

 Gen frowns. “Who?”

 “Shelly Lovelace.” The person states.

 Oh! “Shelly? Oh, Shelly, let me get her for you.” Gen holds her phone to her chest. After 30 seconds she puts the phone back to her ear. “Hello?”

 “Is this Shelly Lovelace?” Gen smiles.

 “Yes this is her. May I ask who is asking?" She hears the stranger clear his voice.

 “My name is Jinki Lee. I would like to respond to your flyer about a roomate.” Gen smiles. Her first caller. Why did his name sound familiar? 

 “Yes, the flyer.”

 “I am looking for a place to stay for the next year and I would like to set an appointment with you. So we can meet and talk.” 

 “Yes sure. When are you available?”

 “Anyday.”

 “Ok, how about tomorrow at Mr. Cafe? Do you know where that is?”

 “Oh, yes! I do!” Calm down Jinki. 

 “Ok, I will see you there. Sit by a window so I will know who you are.”

 “Ok, bye.”

 “Bye. ”

 Gen hangs up her phone and sits it back on her dresser. She should get to the picture that's due today, but sleep was something she could not ignore.

 {}{}}}

 

 Onew sits in Mr. Cafe, slowly eating his fries. He sat by the window as Shelly Lovelace suggested. He looks out the window, thinking about what living with a woman would be like. He hopes she is trustworthy. He'd never done something like this before. It was always Shinee. They had people to do background checks on folks so that they wouldn't be harmed. 

 He reaches for his lemonade while still looking outside. However, he comes up with nothing. Being too lazy to move his head he reaches again, but still came up with nothing. “Are you trying to get something?” Onew snaps his head to where he heard the voice. 

 Jaquan looks at Onew and starts laughing.

“Did I scare you?” He continues to laugh while handing Onew his drink. Onew, after realising it was just Jaquan, smiles at him and accepts his drink. “What are you doing here man?”

 “I am here to meet up with the lady on the flyer that you handed me two days ago.”

 Jaquan raises his eyebrows. “Really? You dont waste time do you?”

 “I want to get to my vacation as soon as possible. So I need to get everything done now.”

 “I hear ya man. You know? I like you. You don't waste time and you get things done."

 “Thank you. I like you too. You have helped me since day one. Literally.” Jaquan smiles and nodds. Then he takes notice to Onew's clothes.

 “Wow, you dressed up for this meeting.” Onew looks down to his white button up shirt and black slacks.

 “Yea, I wanted to be professional. Am I too dressed up.”

 “Um yes, unless your goal is to look like a Jehovah witness,” Jaquan says, laughing again. Onew frowns and looks down at his clothes.

 “Maybe I should go change.”

 “Do you want a couple of pamphlets to complete the look?” Jaquan says, eyes watering. 

 A smile creeps on Onew's face. “Shut up.”

{}{}}}

 

 “What are you doing here?” Gen looks down at Jaquan with a fake scowl on her face. 

 Jaquan looks up at his favorite cousin and smiles. “Just enjoying my day at my favorite restaurant. What are you doing here on your day off?”

 “Minding my business. Can you enjoy your day at home? You never seem to be there.”

 “Why you gotta be such a fist in the ?” Gen gave him a confused look. “Especially in front of company.” Jaquan nodds towards Onew.

 Gen smiles towards Onew. “Sorry, im a little nervous today.” Onew smiles back.

 “Its ok.” 

 Gen turns to walk away but stops to give Jaquan a rough, sloppy kiss on his cheek. “Love you cuz!” 

 “Ugh, that's gross!” Gen walks away laughing. However she soon returns.

 “Can you two not sit here. Im waiting for someone, and I instructed him to sit here.” Onew's eyes lit up.

 “Who are you waiting for?” Jaquan asks.

 “A potential roomie.” 

 “Your Shelly Lovelace?” 

 Gen looks at Onew. “Who?”

 “Shelly Lovelace,” He repeats.

 Oh! “Uh, are you Jinki Lee?” Onew nods. “I knew your name sounded familiar.” Their hands join in a handshake. 

 “Yes, but your name…”

 “Oh, it was for security,” she assures him. Jaquan laughs. 

 “But you gave him your REAL number. Your smart!” Gen snaps her head towards Jaquan. “Well you wouldn't let me borrow your phone.”

 “Well , I'm glad I didn't! ” Gen quickly gave him the eye and focused her attention back on Onew. He was smiling, obviously entertained by the two arguing.

 “So would you like to take a walk and talk?” Onew furrows his brows. Gen sees his confusion. “I like these interviews to be stress free. So I like to have walk interviews.” Onew nods. “Ok.”

{}{}}}

 

 “Well, enough about me, what about you?” Gen thought it would be a good idea to start the interview with why she was looking for a roommate.

 Being that Gen had recently started college and only works two days a week, she is in need of a roomate to help pay the rent.

 She lives in a beautiful two story bungalow style house. With the way that the house is made it gives it's occupants easy access from the kitchen to the dining room and into the living room.

 She loves the house, and she intends on staying there all four years of college. Brady, even though he was a pain in the , really helped her stay on track with the rent and light bill. Now that he is gone she is hoping Jinki would be the right person to help her stay on track.

 Onew walks beside her and thinks. Should he tell her the truth? Or should he just pretend that he is not a famous Korean pop star? To buy him more time he thought it would be a good idea to distract her. 

 “Would you like to sit? ” Onew points towards a nearby bench. Gen nods her head, realizing they have been walking for 30 minutes.

 Gen took Onew to a nearby park called Bartholdi Park. It is a beautiful park with the greenest grass and the prettiest of flowers. She frequently visited Bertholdi Park, it is a great escape from the responsibilities the world throws at her.

 She sits down on the bench loving the feel of the warm sun kissing her skin. The light breeze blowing through the park; messing up her hair a little bit, provided some cool to the hot day. What a great day to be off of work.

 Onew sat beside her enjoying the day also, totally forgetting about the question she had asked him. Totally forgetting about why he sat down in the first place. It took Gen nudging him on his shoulder for him to remember that he was supposed to be answering her.

 “Umm… I'm a student from Korea. My school… recently caught fire… and everybody was sent home. But, except for going home… I decided to go on a vacation for a year to a place that I have never been to. So I picked America, because I never been here… ever, ” Onew lies. 

 Gen's eyes widen. “Was the fire bad?”

 Onew nods vigorously. “Yes. It was so bad that the school doesn't even exist anymore.”

 “Wow I'm so sorry. Did anyone get hurt?” 

 What is with these questions lady? “Did anyone get hurt? Um… No everybody is fine.”

 “Well thank God for that. What's the name of your school?”

 Oh god! "Jonjaehaji Anhneun University ." 

 “Wow, that's a hard name to say.” It's also hard to spell, just in case she tries to look it up later, Onew thinks. “So your thinking about only staying in America for a year?” Onew nods. 

 “Yes just 12 months, then I'm going back to Korea. I just need a place to stay while I'm here. I don't want to live in a hotel for a year. I have plenty of money if you're worried about the rent and you don't have to worry about transportation I'm going to rent a car." Gen smiles, he has everything planned out, he should be a good roomie. All she needed to know was his age. 

 “So how old are you?”

 “26.” 

 Gen's mouth falls open. "Really! You have great skin!" She reaches towards him and rubs his face. Onew laughes at her response to his age. “You must be doing extra studies? Since your 26 and in college.” Onew simply nods. He didnt want to speak any more lies.

 She returns her hand to her side. “Well I like you, and I hope you like me, because I would love for you to be my new roomate. If you say yes, you can come see the house tomorrow and confirm the deal.” 

 Onew smiles. “Yes. I like you too, and I would love to be your new roomate as well.”

{}{}}}

 

 SMACK!!

 “GOTCHA! HA HA!” Gen screams, jumping up and down in her living room; celebrating her victory. She finally killed the fly that was flying around her head for six hours. 

 She sits back down and continues what she was doing, only to be interrupted by another fly. “What the crap man! Another one?” she gets up and follows the fly around the room hoping she can kill it quickly and get back to her drawing.

 She wouldn't have to do all of this if the front door was closed. However it wasn't, it was too busy transporting big, furniture toting men into her house. 

 Three days ago she showed Jinki the house and he instantly fell in love with it. She guessed he loved the outdoorsy look of it. She was excited to have him live here and she still is, but she could do without the flies.

 Ever since that day Jinki has brought over one million flies into her house. That is an exaggeration, yes, but to her it felt like that many. But she is not angry, she is actually happy. Why would she be angry? He is only doing the exact thing she wanted him to do; move in.

 SMACK!! 

 She walks to the kitchen to wash her hands. On the way there she sees him directing the movers where to go. She looks at some of the furniture he has going to his room. Its mostly wood furniture and little decorations. He also has a couch and a huge stereo being transported into his room. The stuff looks expensive. She wonders if he just bought it.

 She continues on to the kitchen and washes her hands. How could he afford new furniture like that. He must be rich. It didnt look like he got it from some cheap store. And why even buy all that stuff anyway? Can he take it back to Korea with him? She shrugs her shoulders. Its none of her business what he does with furniture. She returns to the living room and sits in front of her drawing.

 Finally focusing on her picture, she adds a couple of lines to it and a dash of color. “Wow, that's really good!” she jumps at the sudden noise. Onew realises he scared her and smiles a little.

 “You scared me,” she says holding her hand to her chest. 

 “Im sorry,” he says. He wasnt really sorry. He enjoyed her eyes getting big. She has pretty eyes. “I brought you some McDonald's. A 20 piece McNugget and a vanilla milkshake. Is that ok?” If Onew thought her eyes where big when he scared her, he obviously never seen her when food was put in the equation. 

 “You brought me food!! Thank you Jinki!” Onew smiles. Her voice got all high pitchy.

 “Your welcom."

  “Um… sir what do you want me to do with this?” Both Onew and Gen turn to the man that spoke.

 “WHAT IS THAT FOR!” Gen says referring to the 5', 40" portrait of the Korean flag that the moving people where bringing in.

 Onew turns to her with a smile on his face. “Its for the home sickness.”

 “Where are you getting all of this stuff from?”

 “From Mega Furniture down the street.”

 “Mega Furniture had a giant Korean flag in their store… for purchase? ”

 “No, I ordered the flag online.” Gen rolls her eyes, not even going to figure out when exactly he had ordered a giant Korean flag. All she knows is, it takes four days to ship an object that size.

 “Wow Jinki,” Gen says digging through her McDonald's bag.

{}{}}}

 

 Six hours and over 80 peices of furniture later, Onew's room was well furnished and decorated. 

 He walks to the living room and sees Gen still on her computer. From the first moment he saw her today she was nowhere but the computer. He knew she was drawing but he would think she would have taking one break. She didnt even stop when she was eating her McNuggets.

 He slowly walks behind her to look at what she is doing. The picture is really good. He should show her some of his drawings. He doesn't like to brag, but he is an exceptional artist. The best in Korea. Well, maybe not the best in Korea, maybe the best in Shinee.

 “Why are you standing behind me like a creep?” Gen says slightly turning her head to talk to him.

 “Oh, just admiring your picture.” they both fell in an awkward silence. More like onew fell in an awkward silence. Gen is too busy on her computer. “Well… im going back to the hotel. Tonight is my last night. I will see you tomorrow?”

 “Tomorrow night. I have morning and afternoon classes.” Onew nods his head and turns to the door. “Do you need a ride to your hotel?” Onew turns back around.

 “Oh, Aniyo. Im fine I called a taxi two minutes ago.” gen furrowed her eyebrows. A-NI-YO? She ignored it, thinking it was just him speaking in his language and didn't notice.

  “Ok goodnight!” she waves at him and turns back to her computer. He responds and exits the door. He zipped up his dark green jacket and walks down the stairs. The night air in Washington is a little chilly. 

 He sees his taxi coming from down the street and he walks to the end of the driveway to meet him. Ever since Jaquan gave him the number to the local taxi service, Onew has been calling them non-stop. He felt like trying to catch a taxi was too difficult. Calling is much easier. 

 Well he doesn't have to worry about that for long. Tomorrow is the day he is going to rent a car.

{}{}}}

 

 Two months later.

 

 “HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.” Gen looks at Onew, tears running down her face at how funny he is. The dude is laughing so hard for something so little. 

 It wasnt the first time he has watched The Amazing World of Gumball, but it seems this episode is the funniest one he ever seen. Gumball just got slapped in the face by a brick and Onew thinks its the funniest thing in the world.

 Gen laughed as well, but it was mostly at Onew. Even now she is still laughing. He started slowly rolling off the couch and is now half on the floor and half on the couch. If he goes any further his bottom half will hit the floor and bruise. 

 She grabs hold of his thighs, retraining him from sliding any further. 

 “Jink your gonna fall. Stop before you squeeze out a fart or something.” she says. Using the nickname she gave him. Its not much, but it is easier to say. He doesn't mind.

 Onew calms down and sits back up. He wipes his eyes while catching his breath. He reaches for his cup of Apple juice and sips it.

 “Are you ok?” he nodds his head and settles back down. “Was it that funny?” Gen asks smiling. He looks at her and grins.

 “Yes.” Gen shakes her head. This boy is special. She dips her hands in the popcorn bowl she is holding. Onew dips his hand in as well and their hands lightly touch. They didnt notice the touch, but shivers went through both of their bodies.

 Gen looks over to Onew. “You cold?” Onew looks at her. He shakes his head and puts the popcorn in his mouth. She could have sworn she saw him shiver. She shivered too. Is she cold? No, if anything the shiver made her… hotter? She shrugged it off, believing its signs of an upcoming period.

 At 9:30 The Amazing World of Gumball ended and both people on the couch were ready to turn in. Gen has a class in the morning and Onew has plans with Jaquan. So they cleaned their mess and straightened the sofa; turned off the t.v. and turned off the lights.

 Onew walks to his room which is on the first floor, while Gen climbs the steps to her room. After Brady left she decided to take the second floor room. She always liked the attic type rooms. She stops before reaching the third step. 

 “Onew?” Onew, who has already opened his door and walked in turns around and sticks his head out the door.

 “Yes?”

 “I know I said this before, but thank you. Thank you for being my roommate. My last roommate was a jerk. He stole from me, cheated me of things, and lied to me. He had a girlfriend that did the same thing. I was kind of skeptical to room with another person of the opposite . I almost put female only on my flyers, but I'm glad I didn't. If I had have, I wouldn't have met you. So thanks for not being a lying jerk like my first roommate.” she smiles and continues up to her room.

 Onew frowns. He is a lying jerk. Everything he told her is a lie, except for his name. He feels ashamed. She did nothing but give him a place to stay for a small fee. All she asks for is to not be a lying jerk and help with the rent.

If his parents could see him now they would be disappointed. 

 He walks back into his room after shutting his door. He looks at all the furniture he bought. Gen suffered three days of flies so he could be comfortable. She probably killed over 100 flies. She rode with him after he rented a car so she could see if he would be safe and could drive a car in America. Even though Korea drives on the right side of the road just like America.

 Onew flops on his bed, beat from all the disappointment flowing through his veins. Maybe he should tell the truth? Would it really be that bad? He doesn't think Gen would tell anyone where he is. Onew can trust her. Can he?

{}{}}}

 

 Gen walks through her front door and throws her book bag on the floor. It has been a long morning. First she had to go to school, then she had to learn. TIRED!!! 

 She hears noises in her living room and realizes Jaquan and Jinki are in her living room. Ever since Jinki moved in Jaquan has constantly been here. She doesn't mind though. She is happy he has made a friend that wasn't a drug dealer or had s. 

 She walks into the kitchen and sets a freshly bought pizza on the counter. She knew she wasn't gonna feel like cooking when she got home. So she called the pizza place and picked up a pizza. Jinki and Jaquan is gonna eat most of it, she, herself, could only eat two pieces.

 After saying a quick hello she hops up the stairs to change into something more comfortable.

 Onew watches her walk up the stairs. He made up his mind last night that he was going to tell her the truth. He guess he could tell Jaquan too, but Gen first. He just had to get her alone. In the meantime he can go seduce that lovely pizza sitting on the kitchen counter.

{}{}}}

 

 Gen is grabbing her first slice of pizza when she hears someone walk in the kitchen. She turns around to see Onew standing there with an empty plate in his hand. He walks past her to put it in the sink. 

 After she gets a plate of her own she walks back to the stairs. “Wait.” Onew says after her.

 “Hmmm?” she says, already bitting into her pizza.

 “I need to talk to you for a minute.” 

 “About… what?” she says, pausing to swallow. 

 “Me living here. Can we talk in the dinning room?” The dinning room was a more private area than the kitchen.

 They walk into the dining room and have a seat.

 “What's up? ”

 Onew looks down at his hand in his lap. “I havent been very truthful.”

 “What do you mean?” 

 He pauses. Gen puts her plate down on the table. “I lied to you… about who I am.” he looks at Gen expecting her to say something, but when she didn't he continued. “Im not a student from Korea. Jonjaehaji Anhneun University doesn't exist. In fact jonjaehaji anhneun means doesn't exist in Korean. ”

 Gen's facial expression didn't change much. She didn't really move eather. “Who are you then?”

 Onew didnt expect her to be so calm. He expected her to be really pissed and throwing stuff around the room. 

 “I am a singer. Well, used to be a singer. I was in a very famous group with four other guys.” He pauses to let that sink in.

 She smiles at him and laugh. Was he serious. “Did Jaquan tell you to do this? Dont listen to Jaquan he is slow in the head. He is 27 years old and still can't stir grits… in a bowl.” 

 

 Onew watches her laugh. “Gen I'm serious.”

 “Ok, sure.” she stands up to leave but Onew stops her.

 “Look it up. My stage name was Onew. The group I was in was called Shinee. S-H-I-N-E-E. Go on youtube. We have many songs. Our most recent one is called EVERYBODY.”

 Gen knew he was playing with her, but the serious expression on his face made her doubt herself. “Fine, I will go look you up ONEW.” she mocks. She slowly trots up the stairs to her room never to be seen again for the rest of the night.

{}{}}}

 

 Gen slowly walks down the stairs looking for Onew. Sadness is completely covering her face. Not only did she find about Onew's awesome life, she found out about his not so awesome downfall. She felt really bad for him. She can't even be mad about him lying. She would be a jerk if she got mad at him for lying.

 She hears some sounds coming from the living room. It wasnt the earlier sounds of him and Jaquan fooling around. It was her piano. Well not her piano, her grandmother's piano. It just sits in the living room taking up space. Gen never learned how to play so she didn't know what to do with it when her grandmother gave it to her. So she just sat in the living room as decoration.

 She peeps around the corner to see if he is in there. She sees him sitting on the piano bench playing random keys. His head rests on the piano top. He changed into black pajama hoodie and black pajama shorts. She almost couldn't see him, but the small lamp next to the couch provided enough illumination. 

 She slowly approaches him, a little shy; not really knowing how to comfort people when they are upset. 

 “Onew?” She lightly touches his shoulder, he doesn't move or anything, but he does look her way. “Im sorry about earlier. I thought you were playing around.” Onew sits up and turns on a lamp close to the piano. 

 “Jinki. Don't call me Onew.” Gen nods. “I dont blame you for laughing. I dont blame you for being mad either.” Gen vigorously shakes her head. 

 “No. No way. Im not mad. At least you told the truth. Some people would gave kept the lie going until they left. It was very honest of you to tell the truth. ” Onew smiles and a comfortable silence falls in the room. Onew continues to play random keys on the piano, not really making a tune. “Can you sing to me?”

 Onew looks at her like she is crazy. “I cant sing anymore Gen. Didn't you read that while you where looking me up?” she nods.

 “I still want to hear your voice.” Onew gets uncomfortable and clears his throat.

 “I dont feel like singing, I think I need to go to bed now.” he stands up to leave and Gen lets him. She doesn't want to push him into anything. She can sense he is not ready. “Good night Gen.”

 “Good night Jink.” she watches him walk out the living room and in to the hallway. She hears him open and shut his bedroom door.

 Even though she just found out she was rooming with an ex kpop star, she is calm about the whole thing. She doesn't care about who he used to be, but she does care about who he is now. She might have only known him for two months, and he might be only staying with her for a year, but she is determined to make this the best year for Jinki.

{}{}}}

I RECENTLY READ SOMEWHERE THAT ONEW GOT SURGERY ON HIS THROAT FOR REAL. I DONT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS BUT IM GLAD IT WASN'T A TUMOR BECAUSE I WOULD IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS STORY. DONT WANT NONE OF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. :-)

I HOPE Y'ALL LIKE THIS STORY. PLEASE TELL ME HOW Y'ALL FEEL ABOUT IT. IM TRYING TO MAKE IT BETTER.

IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO WRITE THIS.