From bad to ok

Getting His Voice Back

It was a heart breaking day in the world of kpop when fans around the world heard of the breaking up of Shinee. YouTube, Tumblr, and online news sites blew up with posts, videos, and comments on why this could happen. Everyone new that Shinee's leader lost his voice, but none of them suspected that they would disband. What will happen to them? What will happen to Shinee World?

 It wasn't long after his surgery that Onew found out that he couldn't sing anymore. It had to be a week after he was supposedly supposed to be better.

 He had been so happy to know he could finally fully talk. He hadn't sung a note in the two months he was on rest. He wanted the first note he sung after those months to be beautiful. However when he went in his room to hear his "new" voice he was greeted with something different. HIS voice didn't come out, something completely different came out of his mouth. It was scratchy, off, broken, and ear piercing; completely different from HIS voice. 

  For hours he stood in his room and practiced. He wanted to hear the soothing soft tone of HIS voice, but nothing. It was well in the morning of the next day when he finally quit and got some rest. He expected it to better in the morning, but he was wrong. It was worse. 

 He sung to Shinee, he sung to his manager, he sung to SM's CEO, he sung to everybody. However no one could help him. He scheduled classes with the voice coach, he scheduled appointments with doctor Song, he even scheduled a class with a famous throat excersize specialist. He did everything he could, but nothing. Nothing, but a broken voice. His career was over. He had nothing else. Yea, he is smart, but being smart didnt give him the feeling singing did. What was he going to do now?

 It took up to six months to finally come up with the conclusion to disband. Onew felt as if he was going to weigh Shinee down. Of corse they said he wouldn't, but Onew knew better. So he decided to leave, maybe they would find someone else. But they never did. They didnt even look. Shinee with no Onew was no Shinee, and the boys made that clear to SM. So…

 There was no Shinee. Onew couldn't get his voice back and time was winding up. Soon was there comeback preparation and how could they have a comeback with no songs? So, they broke up, by force. At least they made it farther than most groups.

 When they told the media, all of Korea broke down and shinee was the most trending topic on Tumblr for a week. Fans didnt take that easy, but they didnt have anything on Onew. Onew felt horrible, he ruined his and four other careers in the matter of three months. He should have went to the doctor when he first felt tightness in his throat.

 Soon after the break up, Onew was put into a steady depression. Shinee got rid of their apartment and moved in separate homes. Onew unwillingly moved back home where he was to be nursed by his mother and father until he got tired of them. He could have moved into a house of his own, but his mother insisted that he come live with them.

 At least it wasn't all over. Minho had his acting career, Taemin and Jonghyun could go solo, and Key could do… everything. 

But what about Onew? 

 Whats next for him?

{}{}}}

 

 "Are you sure you want to do this?" Minho asks with his arms folded, looking down at Onew. 

 Onew looks up at him from the floor and smiles. "Yes I am." He zips up the duffle bag he was packing and moves on to another one.

 "I'm just not sure, you only been there a few times and even then it was only for a few days," Key says while slowly puting electronics in a small bag, just to waste time. "You don't even speak good English."

 " I know enough. Why are you so worried anyway? I'm 25 years old, I'm a grown man, I can make it in America by myself," he says throwing his already packed bags in one corner then proceeding to pack the empty ones.

 At that moment Onew's mother comes in toting can drinks for the boys to drink. She puts them on Onew's dresser and makes her way back out of the door. However Taemin stops her and drags her back in. "How do you feel about this? Are you ok with your only son; scratch that, your only child, flying off to a foreign land with limited phrases and money?" 

 She looks up at Taemin and smiles. "Im fine with it." She moves to the door and exits it, shutting it in the process. Was she really fine with it? No, but she will allow anything if it makes him happy once again.

 Taemin sighs. He gives up. He was trying to knock some since into Onew for two days, but the boy wont listen. Fine. He is going to let Onew go to America. And if the rough country tears him limb from limb, all he is going to do is pat him on the back and say a nice 'I told you so'.

 "First of all I'm not going to be limited of money. I have all the money I need, and a handy app that can help me with English. Im not that bad at it anyway. I can have a full conversation with someone without needing any help. Yes, I'm not the best, but I'm not horrible either."

 “Why are you doing this Onew? ” Jonghyun asks lying on Onew's bed.

Onew sighs and puts the last bag in the corner with the rest of them. He sits on his bed and leans back on his elbows. He looks at the ceiling and confesses. “Shinee is over, my voice is gone, I have to move on. I can't stay in my parents house and stay in bed all day depressed. I need to heal myself, and going on a trip is the perfect medicine.”

 “But its not a trip, your thinking about staying there a whole year. That means your moving there Onew," Key says. Onew looks at the worry in his former group mates faces. He did feel bad to worry them, but it was time to get over what has happened in the last 11months.

 “I am going to be fine. I have everything I need and I have a plan, so there is no need to worry.” 

 “Ugh fine, do what you want. I give up.” Minho leaves the room and goes downstairs. Onew's mom was cooking something, and food was the best destraction from Onew and his stupid idea.

{}{}}}

 

 Gen Howden sits in front of her computer confused. How in the world was she going to finish her picture in two days? It's impossible. She sits up to get a closer look. The picture was almost done it just needed a few more days. A few more days, not two more days. 

 She grabs her pen and wacom pad from her side and connect it to the computer. If she was going to pass this class she was going to have to finish her picture on time. She puts the pen to the pad and begins to draw, however she doesn't get far. A knock to her door signals her of a visitor. She grumbles and gets up from her desk and drags herself to her door. 

 She opens the door to a bright bubbly face that Gen couldn't help but frown at.

 “What are you doing here?” Gen looks at the Brazilian girl in front of her. She was beautiful. She had pretty long black hair that fell down to her but, big brown eyes and perfect bow lips. Her skin was a nice tan shade and her body was Marilyn Monroe perfect. She was also tall, rich, and the fakest trash that existed on the earth. 

 “What do you mean what am I doing here? I am here to see my boyfriend. Move!” she pushes Gen out of the way and walks in the house. She straightens her blouse and skirt and heads up the stairs where her boyfriend is located. 

 Gen rolls her eyes, she couldn't wait until Brady moves out and takes his stuck up girlfriend with him. She was tired of seeing Gabrielle at her house up all her oxygen and walking around the house in her skimpy clothes and underwear. She was tired of her house smelling like cigarettes and alcohol. And she was definitely tired of hearing them have loud in the middle of the night; waking her up as well as the neighbors. 

 She asked Brady to move out two months ago. She had, had enough. She has dealt with a lot of crap thrown to her by Brady, but it was the last straw when she found him in her room going through her underwear . She never locked her door, but after that she locked it every night and every time she leaves the house.

 He is a pig and she is happy that this is the last week she is going to be roommates with him. All she needs to do now is find another roommate. She will room with anybody, as long as he or she is not a jerk. She is already getting rid of one jerk, she doesn't need to move another one in to replace him. 

 She already put out flyers around all of Washington. All she needed was a nice, shelter-less person with money in there pockets to answer her call.

{}{}}}

 

 Onew breathes in the fresh warm oxygen of America. To be more specific, the state of Washington. He spreads is arms out, welcoming the hug of the new environment. He smiles and closes his eyes. This is wonderful, exploring a new land with no limitations. No manager telling him what to do, nobody demanding him to do anything. 

 “Um… excuse me.” Onew opens his eyes and quickly turns around to the person behind him. It was a tall man with a suit on; he was holding a single briefcase and carrying a displeased expression on his face, along with a couple of bags under his eyes. “Can you please move, the rest of us would like to venture on to places past the airport; like our homes." Onew looked past the man and to the twenty something people behind him. His eyes widen and he bows to the man.

 “Truely sorry sir!” he says while moving aside to let the other people pass.

 When the last few people pass him he follows them outside. He sees people beeing picked up by other people, people caching taxis, and people heading over to the bus stop.

 Not really knowing where his hotel was he decides to catch a taxi. He stands on the edge of the street and waves his hands like the others on the street to get the attention of a taxi. A person to the left of him yells and a taxi stops right in front of him. So Onew yells too. A taxi stops in front of a jumping female, so he starts jumping too. Onew sees a taxi come his way, but a big burly man steps in front of him and takes his taxi.

 “Hey!” Onew yells, but the man ignores him and shuts the door of the taxi.

  Fed up with the taxis and tired of holding his bags Onew sits them on the ground and walks in the street so he is sure they can see him. He puts one hand in the air while the other one sits on his hip. He waves irratically to get the attention of an oncoming taxi, unaware of the man on a bicycle coming straight for the phone sticking out of his back pocket.

 Right before the thief reaches Onew, someone snatches him out of the street and out of the way. 

 “Are you out of your mind man? Standing in the middle of the street like a car can't hit you.” Onew stares at the black man in front of him in shock. “I dont know how you do it your country, but here, you cant just walk in the middle of the street waving and like a sassy black lady while your luggage is sitting unattended. Do you hear me? Do you speak english.” 

 Jaquan waves his hands in front of the Asian mans face to get him to respond, but nothing. He bends over and grabs the boys luggage and hits him with it. “Dude?”

 Onew snaps out of his trance and smiles at the man. “I am sorry. I just wanted a taxi."

 Jaquan smiles at the boy and hands him his luggage. He walks over to the street and whistles. He walks back over to Onew and pats him on the back. 

 “There you go buddy." Onew looks toward the street and sees a taxi sitting there waiting on him to get in. Onew looks back at the man but he was already walking down the street with a girl in his arms.

{}{}}}

 

 “Mmmmmm, yessssss,”Onew says as he settles into the hot water of the king size bathtub. He grabbs the plates of food that sits on the bathtub tray and move them closer to him. He leans over and presses a button on the wall to the left of him and turns on the tv.

 This is nice. Here he is, in a big giant bathtub wich has a sliding tray that he can put food on, watching cartoons on a tv built in the wall. It is heaven. Its not the first time Onew has had something like this, but it is the first time he is able to sit down and enjoy it.

 He is happy he is doing this for himself. He needs it. He has no idea what he is going to do after this, but this was a great start to finding that out. He just hopes he makes the right decisions.

{}{}}}

 

 “Ok, first on the list of things to do is to find a place to live.” Onew stares down at his iPad that he thought he left in Korea. Thank god key packed it for him. 

 He goes over the list he made before he arrived. It has everything he wants and needs to do to survive in America on the list, and he is determined to follow it word for word. And the first thing on his list was to find a place to stay. He could stay at the hotel, but he felt like finding a place to stay would make moving to America more personal. He wanted the whole experience. He wanted to find a place to stay, rent a car, makes some friends, and maybe go to a party. The only thing he didnt want, was to get a job.

 First of all, his english was ok, not spectacular. Second, he was scared; what if he got something wrong and cost the store millions of dollars? Third, he came here to rest not work. Why would he come to another country try to work. He wasn't even going to be here that long.

 He sits his iPad down and picks up the menu in front of him. Onew is sitting in a cute little cafe he found while walking down the streets of downtown Washington. After walking around for a little over an hour, Onew was getting hungry. He didnt really know where he was so he decided to just find the nearest store or restaurant and eat there. That's when he found Mr. Cafe. Its blue and green theme captivated him and he made sure to save the address in his phone so he could come back and eat here again. 

 He looks over all the delicious looking food on the menu and decides to get the Mr. Ham Sandwich which a side of Mrs. Fries. He looks up to locate a waitress and sees one just across the room. He raises his hand and clears his voice to get her attention.

 The woman here's him and walks over to him, grabbing her writing pad out of her apron.

{}{}}}

 

 Gen flips over her writing pad and prepares to take the mans order.

 “What will you be having?” she smiles at him.

Onew smiles back. “Can I have a Mr. Ham Sandwich with a side of Mrs. Fries?” The woman writes his older down. Onew looks at her name tag and tries to pronounce her name. “Gin?”

  She looks up to him and smiles. “No, its Gen. Like Jennifer”

 “Oh! So is it short for Jennifer with a G?” Gen chuckles at his question.

 “No, its just Gen.” Onew nodes his head.

 “Well im Jinki with a J.” Onew extends his hand towards Gen. She takes and shakes his hand. 

 “Its nice to meet you Jinki. Would you like a drink with your meal?” Onew looks back to the menu, deciding on the Miss. Lemon. Gen writes it down and heads back to the counter to prepare his food.

{}{}}}

 

 “Ooh I saw you,” Amanda says walking up to Gen. Gen looks at her in confusion.

 “What?”

 “I saw you flirting with that boy. Oooo its Gen like in Jennifer *swoon* swoon*." Gen laughed at her stupid friend.

 “Shut up and work. Your going to get fired.”

{}{}}}

 

 Onew happily eats his food in silence. The food here really is good. He was sure to come back. It wasn't just the taste of the food that made it delicious, it was the appearance as well.

 The Mr. Ham Sandwich was grilled, and right on top of the sandwich bread was a grilled mustache. He guessed that was the Mr. in Mr. Ham Sandwich. The fries were normal fries, but had lady lips drawn on the plate by ketchup. 

 He loves this place it is so creative. It was bright, clean, and warm. A place he could see himself spending most of his time.

 “Hey airport guy!” Onew snaps his head up to see a guy walking his way. Giving the man a more thorough look, he recognizes the man to be the man from yesterday. 

 Onew smiles at him while he takes the seat in front of him. “Hey man, did you get to where you were headed yesterday?” Onew nods at the man. 

 “I did. Thank you for helping me. My name is Jinki by the way.” Onew offers his hand to the man. He takes it. 

 “Jaquan. So what are you doing here in America?" Jaquan leans back on his chair. 

 “Vacation," Onew simply states. Jaquan slowly nods his head.

 “Where you from?”

 “South Korea.”

 “Oh, well welcome. If you need anything just hit me up man. I'm here all the time."

 Onew smiles and thanks the man for his offer. Well since he was already there he might as well ask him. 

 “I do need help with one thing. This is the second day I have been here and I've been staying in a hotel room. I want to find an apartment or something like that, do you know a place I could go?” Jaquan furrowed his eyebrows in thought. 

 “I don't know any places, but if you look there might be some flyers hanging around. What's your preference? ”

 “Nice and clean. Not too expensive.” Jaquan hops up and leaves the table. Onew turns see where he was going. 

 “Here is something.” Jaquan returns to the table and hands Onew a piece of paper. It was a flyer looking for a roommate. Onew didn't think about rooming with anyone. 

 “Cool, thank you Jikuwan." Onew says still looking down at the paper. When he didn't get a response he looks up to find Jaquan, but he was gone. Onew looks around for him and finds him on the other side of the cafe talking some girl. 

 He folds the flyer and sticks it in his pocket. He will make sure to look it over when he is back in his hotel room.

 

HOPE YOU LIKE IT. THANKS FOR READING.