Loss of breath

Getting His Voice Back

Onew wakes up with a start. He can't breath. He touches his throat. A big lump is there. He presses on it and pain shoots throught him like a rocket. He tries to breath. He tries through his mouth, nothing. He tries through his nose, nothing. He tries through both at the same time, nothing, but pain.

Tears form in his eyes his face gets hot and his vision blurs. He needs oxygen. He fumbles to get his covers off and runs to the door. He opens it wide and runs down the hall, opening the first door he gets to. He is in extensive pain now, he lost vision out of his left eye and he is starting to lose his footing.

He tries to scream his name but the words won't come out of his mouth. He needs air. He falls to the floor and turnes over to his back. The last thing he sees is white ceiling. 

{}{}}}

 

Tears run down Key's face. He can't get it out of his head. The sight of Onew lying on the ground, eyes closed shut, and not breathing, scared him half to death. Saliva running like a river down his cheeks and into his hair. It was a horrible sight. A sight he can't get out of his head.

He sits back in his chair, wrapping his thick hot pink jacket around his cold body. The ruthless hospital air-conditioning feels like it is blowing right on him. The least it could do is dry is tear flooded cheeks, or blow the last three hours out of his head.

He looks at the other inhabitants of the hospital lobby. Jonghyun, Taemin, and Minho. Their manager, all of exo, and Onew's parents. He looks over at Onew's mother. Keys face has nothing on hers. Her eyes are watery with tears, bags accompany them, and her hair is messy. Probably from all the timed she ran her hands through it. His father is no better. His face mirrors his wife's. 

Key looks down to his hands. He says a silent prayer towards Onew. He rarely prays but this… this needs prayer.

{}{}}}

 

After five long hours the doctor emerges from the halls to greet the family. Everyone jumps up; questions paint the room. The doctor clears his throat but no one listens. He puts his hands up to calm everyone down, but all he is granted with, is more questions. He would yell, but it is against hospital policy to yell.

A hand goes up and a body comes to the front. He has a frown upon his face as he turns around to the people behind him.

"Have you gone crazy? Don't you think Onew's parents should be the ones asking questions?" Shinee's manager yells at the young people in front of him. They put their heads down and apologize. They part and let Onew's parents come through the crowd. Still silent from embarrassment. 

Onew's parents and the doctor bow to each other. 

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lee. I'm doctor Song, I conducted your son's surgery." 

"Surgery? Why did he need surgery?" Onew's mother says, tears refilling her eyes. Her hands clench her husbands shirt while he holds her.

Doctor Song clears his throat and looks at the boys parents. "Your son had a serious tumor in his throat. That was the reason he couldn't breath." Everyone in the room gasps. How could Onew have a tumor?

"Tumor? How? He looked great the last time I saw him," Onew's father says, trying to keep his wife from falling to the floor. Key and Minho helps by escorting her to a seat. 

"Well, by the looks of the tumor, your son has had it for at least three months. It was quite big for its age," Doctor Song says. "However, we safely removed the tumor and he is now resting. You can visit him in an hour or two, he has to wake up from the anesthesia. He wont be able to talk so don't startle him." Onew's father nods to the doctor and looks over to his wife. She is crying with her head lying on Minho's shoulder. He should go consult her. He bows to the doctor and walks back to his wife. Minho trades spots with him and stands. 

The doctor leaves and everybody goes back to there seats. Onew's mother stops crying and is sitting back up by herself. Onew's father looks over to his son's bandmates. 

"Did Jinki look sick when he was around you?" They shook their heads at him.

"Onew looked fine," Jounghyun says. He waits a few minutes. "But he was acting weird."  

Taemin nods. "Now that I think about it, he has been practicing more with our voice coach." 

"Yea, and wearing turtleneck shirts or scarves. Almost everyday," Minho says leaning against a wall.

Onew's mother shakes her head. "Why? Why would he not go to the doctor? How could he spend three months with a tumor in his neck?"

Her husband takes her hands and puts them in his lap. "Maybe he didnt think it was a tumor."

"Yes maybe, but shouldn't he have noticed the short of breath or the hardness to swallow? He should have went to the doctor." Her eyes begin to water again. Onew is her baby, and she would kill if anything happened to him.

{}{}}}

 

"It WOULD take him forever to wake up. The boy did nothing but sleep when he was child."

"Sleep and eat." 

"He is so adorable sleeping like that. He looks like he did when he was two."

"He does, doesn't he."

Onew frowns 

"Oh! Did you see that?"

"What?"

Onew's eyebrows furrow. Who is talking?

"That! He's waking up!"

Onew feels a hand on his chest and one in his hair. It lightly rubs him as he slowly opens his eyes. His vision is blurry, but he can still make out the beautiful face of his mother. He opens his mouth but he immediately shuts it, remembering what happened tonight. Or last night. However feeling the sweet sensation of air running through his lungs he forgets all about it.

"Mom!" he screams. At least that's what he thought. Instead a small squeak escapes his mouth, and it was the most painful squeak. Onew almost breaks the hospital bed from the pain that coarsed through his throat. He kicks the bed in pain and folds his body in a fetal position. 

Onew's mother jerks away from her son. He nearly exploded from the pain. Her eyes get watery and her body slowly starts to shake. He is in so much pain. She closes her eyes and pushes the tears back, she has a son to support.

Onew settles back down and loosens his body. Well, he can't talk. He moves back on his back and stares at the two people in front of him. His mother is sitting next to him with her eyes shut and his dad is staring at her with worry in his eyes. 

She does that. Whenever she didnt want to cry she would close her eyes and make herself stop. It pains him to know he is the cause of this. He reaches over to her and touches her hands. Her eyes shoot open to look at him. He smiles at her, even though it is kind of painful to do so. However it was worth it when she smiles back. 

The smile was short lived, because as soon as she put it on her face she took it off. She frowns at him and reaches down to get her purse. She doesn't even look away, she stares at him the whole time while she gets her purse and digs through it. When she finds what she wants she tosses it towards Onew and gives him a deadly look.

"Explain yourself," she states. Onew looks down to the tablet that his mother threw in his lap. He really didnt want to talk about it, but with the looks on both his parents faces and the emotional journey he put them through. He owes it to them.

{}{}}}

 

After an intense hour of being questioned by his parents, Onew feels as if he is five again. Even in his pained state his parents scold him relentlessly. He can't even say anything to his defense. He has to write everything, and he can't even write that fast. 

They were brutal. They let him have it. They didnt even try to be soft about it, they didnt even care. They were loud too. He was sure that the whole hospital could here them. And if he even mentioned to them that they were loud, he would get a whole other form of lecture.

{}{}}}

 

Onew is finally getting some rest. Everybody visited and said their words of love and get wells. Then they left to get some rest of there own, dragging his parents with them. They didnt want to leave, but the doctor suggested that they do. He said Onew needed a distraction free environment. It was complete bull, Onew begged him to get rid of them so he could go to sleep.

Knowing his mother, she probably wouldn't let him get 15 minutes of sleep without waking him up to check up on him. 

He was thankful though. He has two wonderful parents that care about him. Some people don't have that. They can be difficult sometimes, but it is all out of love. He closes his eyes and completely relaxes on the hospital bed. He is glad it is over. 

The doctor said he should be better in two months, he is happy about that. In no time he will be better and he can go back to singing with Shinee. He is sorry he didnt go to the doctor sooner, but he didnt want to postpone any dates. Shinee was already busy. A doctor visit and surgery would have put them back so far. Well all is over now, he can focus on singing again and get back on schedule.

 

BUMPY START. ITS KIND OF SLOW BUT I PROMISE IT WOULD GET BETTER. I ALSO WANT TO IMPROVE MY WRITING IM LACKING.