2

The Loss

Where is he?! Where is he?!

 

Teddy moved quickly through the crowded exhibition hall, his eyes searching frantically through the crowds of people circled around booths and shining models of new cars from every major automotive company in the world. He had stopped person after person asking if they had seen or run into Siwon in the last hour and everyone gave him different answers sending him on a wild goose chase throughout the entire BEXCO center.

 

And to his dismay, Siwon was nowhere in sight.

 

This weekend in Busan was to be a busy one for him and Siwon. Not only had he organized for Siwon to have both his print and commercial ads shot this morning and afternoon for the Audi, but because they were also here for the Busan International Motor Show, Siwon had also been asked to attend the major press conference this evening for discussing the new model Audi would be releasing by the end of the year.

 

There were Audi representatives, engineers, press, make up artists, directors, managers, editors, you name it, anyone and everyone was milling around the area preparing for the different events that were meant to go down today. Siwon was in a sea of a thousand faces and Teddy had his phone.

 

He was meant to charge it with the reassurance that after his shoot Siwon would have a quick coffee break with one of his fellow spokesmen for a half hour, at the longest. Then they were to go back to the hotel where Siwon would have a late lunch and then prepare for the evening ahead.

 

That had been an hour ago.

 

Putting a hand to his head, Teddy felt the onset of a migraine teasing him and he worried he might not find Siwon in time. But, ‘in time for what?’ he asked himself. He suddenly realized that he had absolutely no idea what he was going to tell Siwon. Daerim, unfortunately was only five years old and of little to no help when it came to explaining what was happening to Kyuhyun. So after hanging up with her, he had immediately called for an ambulance to come to the house and set off to find Siwon.

 

Taking one last long look to his right and then his left, with a sigh Teddy decided to turn back and go to where Siwon had originally left him. He would have to come back eventually and Teddy hoped that it was sooner than later.

 

When he reached the area again, he took a seat in his chair and bounced his leg nervously, his fist clenching and unclenching as he watched the minutes slip by alarmingly fast.

 

5 minutes…then ten….then twenty….

 

After the first half hour Teddy took the liberty of busying himself with looking up flight times, knowing that the minute Siwon discovered what was happening, he would abandon all his appointments without question for the first plane back to Seoul.

 

Almost an hour had gone by when Teddy was convinced to give up all hope that Siwon would ever return. He stood, prepared to go off on another search for him, when suddenly his ears perked up at the certain timbre he heard in the crowd.

 

Walking down the center of the hall was Siwon. At last. And he was smiling, now laughing at what the man beside him had just said. Teddy, in his near hysterical state leapt out of his chair and stormed over to the duo.

 

“Where have you been?!” he shrieked.

 

Siwon’s eyes bulged out as he took a step back, unsure of what was happening with his manager.

 

“Siwon-ssi, who is this?” asked the man with him, with a concerned frown.

 

“My manager,” said Siwon regaining his composure before stepping closer to Teddy.

 

Siwon put his hand on Teddy’s shoulder to try and calm the visibly tense man.

 

“Teddy relax, I was just having a coffee with Hee Gwan-ssi. And then we figured we might as well make it lunch since neither of us had eaten yet. What’s the matter with you? You look like you're about to have a nervous breakdown,” asked Siwon shaking his head.

 

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you! You were only supposed to be gone for thirty minutes! Do you have any idea of what’s been happening?! Daerim called me almost in tears—I had to calm her down and now I have no idea what’s happening because she won’t answer the phone anymore and she wanted you but you were gone!”

 

“What?!” asked Siwon shaking his head. “Teddy, look you have to calm down! You're not making any sense, so just breathe, please!”

 

Teddy felt his body still vibrating with rage, sadness, and anxiety. He knew he needed to calm down, or else he wouldn’t be able to be the pillar that Siwon was going to need very soon.

 

“I’m sorry for the outburst, but something has happened and I have to talk to you. It’s urgent,” he breathed out.

 

Siwon looked over at the man beside him. “I’m sorry Hee Gwan-ssi, can we finish this conversation later? I think I need to speak with my manager privately,” he said patting the man on the shoulder.

 

“Of course, we’ll meet again I’m sure. I hope everything is alright,” he said with a nod, shooting a concerned glance over to Teddy before leaving the two.

 

“Okay now what has you all— started Siwon.

 

“It’s Kyuhyun,” blurted Teddy.

 

Siwon’s face fell instantly.

 

“What do you mean? What’s happened? Where is he?” he asked stepping closer to Teddy.

 

“I—I don’t know, I just got a call—

 

“From who? Who called you?” asked Siwon shaking his head.

 

“Daerim—

 

“Daerim? Why did she call you?!” he asked frowning.

 

“No, she called you but I had your phone—

 

“Right okay, sorry—I don’t understand. What’s happening?! What did she say?!” asked Siwon growing impatient.

 

“She said that Kyuhyun was sick—then all of a sudden he fell unconscious,” said Teddy holding his head with one hand again. That migraine was picking up strength.

 

Siwon frowned in frustration at Teddy’s fragmented explanation.

 

“But what do you mean sick? What kind of sick? Hurt, vomiting, fever?” asked Siwon rapid fire as he pressed for more answers.

 

“I—I don’t know—she was scared and she couldn’t explain any more to me. This is all I know. So I called for an ambulance to go straight to your home, but so far…I don’t have any new information—

 

“Where’s my phone?” asked Siwon reaching his hand out.

 

Teddy held out his hand weakly and Siwon snatched the phone rougher than he meant to.

 

He dialed Kyuhyun’s number as quickly as his hands would allow and then waited the painful moments as it rang and rang.

 

Nothing.

 

Siwon felt his heart tighten.

 

He held his breath as he dialed the number again.

 

Come on…someone pick up…pick up, he thought to himself as he closed his eyes.

 

Nothing.

 

Again.

 

Nothing.

 

His hands flew to his head as he exhaled. His mind was growing as weary as Teddy seemed to look.

 

“What was the last thing that Daerim said to you?” he asked once he realized that getting Kyuhyun on the phone wasn’t an option.

 

“That Kyuhyun wouldn’t wake up. I guess he dropped something and glass was on the floor, because Daerim kept saying he wont let her near him.. it was hard to get her to focus, she was so scared when she couldn’t make him wake up…I hated to end the call, but I knew I needed to get someone there immediately,” Teddy said with a heavy sigh.

 

“Jesus—I—I have to go—I need to get to Seoul. I need to get to the airport—now,” said Siwon moving to walk away before changing to go in the opposite direction, only to stop altogether, unsure of what to do first in this exact moment.

 

Teddy’s next words made him stop in his tracks.

 

“So far the next available flight out isn’t for four hours—

 

“What?!” frowned Siwon.

 

Teddy shook his head as he looked at Siwon apologetically.

 

“I’m sorry…if you had come back sooner, there was one you could have possibly made but now—

 

“Search again,” said Siwon.

 

“But I already—

 

“Teddy please…search again,” said Siwon, his eyes pleading.

 

Teddy could see the edges of Siwon’s exterior beginning to break down and he was only minutes into this. In all the time they had spent together, he knew that in Siwon’s mind there was always a way around failure and disappointment. There was absolutely no way he could let him down now, so with a nod he went back to searching his phone.

 

Seeing Teddy retreat back into his Smartphone, gave Siwon the freedom to get lost in his own thoughts for a few moments.

 

When Siwon had left their home yesterday, Kyuhyun had been perfectly healthy and happy and nothing was out of the ordinary. They had made love the night before and Kyuhyun had sent him off with one of his sinful kisses, a smirk on his lips promising the usual, that if Siwon chose to stay, he’d make it worth his while. They’d shared a laugh, and another kiss before Siwon left him to continue sleeping in their warm sheets. So what could have caused things to take such a sudden change between then and now? Had Kyuhyun been injured? Was he coming down with a virus? Was it their baby…? Siwon shuddered away the thought. The seemingly endless possibilities were beginning to tear him up from the inside out.

 

He began pacing as Teddy started calling out options to him.

 

“Okay there’s a direct flight that leaves at 4:30—

 

“That’s still three hours from now—not fast enough.”

 

“Okay…ah, here, there’s another flight that leaves in about two hours—

 

“Okay, perfect—

 

“But it’s a connecting flight, through Jeju—

 

“No—

 

“Okay well uh, your options are running low here. Let’s see…there’s another flight that leaves in an hour, but there’s no way…” drifted off Teddy.

 

Siwon pursed his lips as he exhaled, realizing that Teddy was right. Anyway he looked at it now, he wouldn’t be reaching Kyuhyun for hours and with all of the traffic coming in and out of the city for the motor show, he’d be lucky to get to Seoul by nightfall. But he refused to accept it as an answer.

 

“Come on Teddy—there has to be something, something you're not seeing—

 

“I don’t know what you want from me Siwon,” Teddy said with an exasperated sigh. “All of the flights don’t leave until later or there’s a layover or they're already all booked…I’m sorry.”

 

“No. Teddy, I want you to listen to me. Kyu is unconscious somewhere in Seoul and I have no idea what’s happening to him. I also have no idea what has happened to my daughter. One way or another you will find me a way to get to them that doesn’t involve wasting away precious hours in an airport,” said Siwon with a hard glare.

 

He didn’t mean to be this short with Teddy. Over the years they had spent together, they had actually grown to be very close friends and he knew that he was only trying to help. But when Kyuhyun’s health and safety were at stake, Siwon could care less about anyone else involved. He had to get to him.

 

“Your only other options are the train or if we could find a car—

 

“Of course!” said Siwon patting Teddy’s shoulders before starting to walk off.

 

“Of course what?” asked Teddy going after him.

 

“I’ll just drive there myself,” said Siwon matter-of-factly as he continued walking.

 

“Wh-but you don’t have your car with you and neither do I—

 

“What good is being a the spokes model of Audi if I can’t use the product if I need to?” asked Siwon as he continued walking.

 

“You're going to take one of the Audis?! Do you really think—

 

“Teddy, Jörg Dietzel-ssi and I are old friends, I’m sure he’ll understand the situation and offer his assistance. And if he doesn’t….well, one way or another I’ll be with Kyu by tonight,” Siwon said with such a finality that Teddy felt no need to question it.